Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 728 729 [730] 731 732 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2200345 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: [34.11] Spearbreakers - Prepping for Reboot
« Reply #10935 on: January 22, 2015, 04:05:46 pm »

Bump to inform!

What would you guys say to having a roughly gorilla sized thing that lives everywhere, breeds quick, and loves nothing more than to kill things, steal thier food and drink, and smash things as a wild animal enemy? No pain or fear, steals food and booze, comes in huge numbers, and prone to rage, but otherwise having all the same vulnerabilities as other creatures in place of roaming spawn?

And I mean everywhere, particularly where Crystalclock will be settling. The only place they won't pop up on thier own is freezing areas and grasslands. Caves, jungles, forests, swamps/marshes. And I plan to plop us right in thier territory. Possessed of some natural combat skills to boot.

Also: The Onol-kor are functioning and appearing during world gen and even surviving from time to time. Haven't faced them in battle yet though.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: [34.11] Spearbreakers - Sequel or Do-over?
« Reply #10936 on: January 22, 2015, 04:10:15 pm »

Can we capture and train the creatures for war?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10937 on: January 22, 2015, 04:15:53 pm »

Can we capture and train the creatures for war?

Nope, they are not for use directly.

But if you wanna fill a chamber with captured specimens and throw stripped goblins in...

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10938 on: January 22, 2015, 04:26:56 pm »

Makes it a rather meh thing for me then.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10939 on: January 22, 2015, 04:34:41 pm »

Well I just tested them and a dwarf got beat to death with his own chain coif. If they attack in the larger swarms, it'll take legendary soldiers to drive them off. 3 fully armored dwarves with basic skills killed and injured several but one was strangled and the other ended up beaten to death with the first guy's coif. They seem more than capable of bending armored soldiers into knots and massacring small groups.

Unarmed civvies: They'll be killed with little effort for the creatures.

Mano a mano: Armored dwarves have little to fear barring bad luck.

Outnumbered: Hope you have good training, cause these fuckers will absorb losses like they're nothing and turn your soldiers into a pretzel.

EDIT: At any rate, I think they'll make the early game good and dangerous without pitting a barely equipped group against the Spawn of Indestructibility.

EDIT II: I've gone in and fixed some dud things in the new spawn raws (as soul attributes seem to be tagged differently and it was spamming the error log,) and removed a bugged natural skill token - it was FIGHTING which did nothing, rather than MELEE_COMBAT (the fighter skill token) and they don't really need natural skill in that to be deadly. Oddly I found the same bug in the onol kor raws despite the fact I largely just copied and modified humans slightly. Or maybe I just thought it was in the spawn raws?  ???

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: [34.11] Spearbreakers - Prepping for reboot, now discussing creatures and such
« Reply #10940 on: January 23, 2015, 05:05:52 pm »

Bump to inform!

What would you guys say to having a roughly gorilla sized thing that lives everywhere, breeds quick, and loves nothing more than to kill things, steal thier food and drink, and smash things as a wild animal enemy? No pain or fear, steals food and booze, comes in huge numbers, and prone to rage, but otherwise having all the same vulnerabilities as other creatures in place of roaming spawn?

And I mean everywhere, particularly where Crystalclock will be settling. The only place they won't pop up on thier own is freezing areas and grasslands. Caves, jungles, forests, swamps/marshes. And I plan to plop us right in thier territory. Possessed of some natural combat skills to boot.

Also: The Onol-kor are functioning and appearing during world gen and even surviving from time to time. Haven't faced them in battle yet though.

Watch them be a bigger threat than the Spawn, in the true Spearbreakers style. ;)
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
Re: [34.11] Spearbreakers - Prepping for reboot, now discussing creatures and such
« Reply #10941 on: January 23, 2015, 09:53:49 pm »

I'm aliiiiive! :) I have a lot of catching up to do... :(

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #10942 on: January 24, 2015, 04:09:09 am »

TL;DR: Sequel is abandoned in favour of a reboot with hopefully less meta-clusterfuckery and !!DRAMA!!, Mr Frog fails at gameplay balancing and probably could have stood to read Syrupleaf a little more closely (turns out Spawn do, in fact, suffer from nausea), new fortress is in the works and pending the next major game release.

Also, welcome back!

E: Out of curiosity, exactly what major bugs are present that are cause for postponing the fort? I haven't exactly played much, but everything seems to be working fine...

E2: For the sake of contributing to the present discussion... I'm pretty meh on the creature you suggested, if only because I'm not sure what it really contributes to the setting. Of course, you weren't terribly clear on what exactly it was, so if it's actually some kind of horrifying eldritch beast/elemental avatar/whatever sort of supernatural blight upon existence then consider me all for it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 04:20:04 am by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10943 on: January 24, 2015, 01:18:01 pm »

At present the fort's not been started because I doubt any saves from .24 back will be compatible with the next release. If I'm proven wrong, then I need to find something to jame in my eye as penance.

The creatures though are in response to you saying you're worried the fort will be too safe and Spearbreakers' own admittedly lackluster beginning turn. For the time being I'm calling them horrors for lack of better terms.

They're scaley ape-like creatures the size of a gorilla with beady red or pink eyes, prone to rage, set up to steal food and booze, and come in fairly large groups. The main role is to be an early game threat making wood and fruit harvesting much more dangerous and potentially strangling trade if they blunder into (and subsequently attack) caravans, and make even the caverns dangerous for harvesting wood/silk, as they can most likely run down most civilians, bend them into a knot, and continue towards the fortress itself to try and access the food and drink.

I also have an entity version too but that's something I don't think I'll employ (has all the same traits but replaces supply theft with smashing anything they can get thier hands on for fun.)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10944 on: January 24, 2015, 02:33:41 pm »

Spearbreakers' own admittedly lackluster beginning turn

I dunno... it's probably better for at least the beginning turns to be a bit stable, if only because it really, really blows to get the fort annihilated on the first turn because something turned up that one wasn't prepared to handle.

Still, I do rather like the monster description you gave... how about calling them 'emerald horrors' or 'jade horrors' (I'm picturing them with green scales for some reason)?

Also, give them [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER] or [CURIOUSBEAST_GUZZLER] so that they'll try pathing into the fort if they can. Building Destroyer would likely also work, but it'd probably be a bit extreme for what's supposed to be an early-game threat.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10945 on: January 24, 2015, 02:50:51 pm »

Spearbreakers' own admittedly lackluster beginning turn

I dunno... it's probably better for at least the beginning turns to be a bit stable, if only because it really, really blows to get the fort annihilated on the first turn because something turned up that one wasn't prepared to handle.

Still, I do rather like the monster description you gave... how about calling them 'emerald horrors' or 'jade horrors' (I'm picturing them with green scales for some reason)?

Also, give them [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER] or [CURIOUSBEAST_GUZZLER] so that they'll try pathing into the fort if they can. Building Destroyer would likely also work, but it'd probably be a bit extreme for what's supposed to be an early-game threat.

Forest and Jungle horrors have shades of black, gray, brown and green to thier scales (Forest horrors have more brown while jungle horrors more green,) cave horrors shades of gray and black, while the entity ones have all of them mixed together. They also do in fact have both tags save the entity, which has [BUILDINGDESTROYER:2] instead. I may lower thier cluster number (can appear in groups up to 20,) since I have yet to field test them to balance it since I'm trying to get the entity ones working.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10946 on: January 24, 2015, 08:42:20 pm »

Hey assholes

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10947 on: January 24, 2015, 08:48:33 pm »

Hey assholes

That made my night. And yeah, kinda... Scary, looking back on it. And hamsquids? Really?

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10948 on: January 24, 2015, 08:53:20 pm »

Spoiler: Incoming Cringe (click to show/hide)

"Hamsquid" seems pretty accurate to me.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10949 on: January 24, 2015, 08:56:16 pm »

I dunno, maybe for the left hands. The rest is pretty good still.
Pages: 1 ... 728 729 [730] 731 732 ... 815