Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2179094 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs.
« Reply #1095 on: April 27, 2012, 05:34:39 pm »

I wonder, did any of the dead necros happen to have thier books on them? is so, then we could also make Spearbreakers a hub of research into the arcane field of necromancy.... Let the dead and thier masters come, We will only be made stronger to fight off the true invasion the beast has planned.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: April 27, 2012, 06:28:06 pm »

We really need to industrialize or processing... processess. I recommend if at all possible a 'cleaning' program to use up, utilize or otherwise dispose of anything necromancers might decide would be great fun to resurrect. hair? SPIN THAT SHIT INTO SUTURES. Bones? Training bolts and cratfs. hides? if there are any left unattended I will end you with a pitchblende hammer. dead sentients? magma. I never said magma couldn't be used as garbage disposal. Just not as an explicit weapon. Though accidents do happen.

Eh, I don't think we'll be getting any more necromancers (unless we embarked near 2 or more towers), but I will probably add industrialising the fort to my to-do list. Seriously, I think the only thing we're making right now are mugs, food and booze.

I wonder, did any of the dead necros happen to have thier books on them? is so, then we could also make Spearbreakers a hub of research into the arcane field of necromancy.... Let the dead and thier masters come, We will only be made stronger to fight off the true invasion the beast has planned.

I guess we could make a statuary garden and put a lot of relics and artifacts in there, including the necro-slabs. You know, to commemorate the fact we haven't all died yet.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: April 27, 2012, 06:33:53 pm »

We really need to industrialize or processing... processess. I recommend if at all possible a 'cleaning' program to use up, utilize or otherwise dispose of anything necromancers might decide would be great fun to resurrect. hair? SPIN THAT SHIT INTO SUTURES. Bones? Training bolts and cratfs. hides? if there are any left unattended I will end you with a pitchblende hammer. dead sentients? magma. I never said magma couldn't be used as garbage disposal. Just not as an explicit weapon. Though accidents do happen.

Eh, I don't think we'll be getting any more necromancers (unless we embarked near 2 or more towers), but I will probably add industrialising the fort to my to-do list. Seriously, I think the only thing we're making right now are mugs, food and booze.

I guess we could make a statuary garden and put a lot of relics and artifacts in there, including the necro-slabs. You know, to commemorate the fact we haven't all died yet.

Zombies keep coming even after Necro is dead. Until theres NOTHING left. If theres ONE finger left, they keep coming.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: April 27, 2012, 06:39:37 pm »

Zombies keep coming even after Necro is dead. Until theres NOTHING left. If theres ONE finger left, they keep coming.

Hmm, I'll have to check that.

Also on my to-do list is to create a surplus of everything. Extra crutches, floodgates, doors, hatch covers, beds, leather, etc.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: April 28, 2012, 12:46:38 am »

Year 205, the rule of Mitch
Chapter 3: Overhaul

Okay, now that the 'excitement' is over, I can finally start building up the the fortress proper. I will start with the obvious depression that's spreading around like a disease; work on a great statuary and memoriam hall shall be my first act. I will also construct fine roads over our dirt and engrave our walls of stone.

16th Granite:

I've gone over our local job-manager, and asked for an overview of the fortress. A few things disturbed me:

- We're severely underpopulated; previous overseers tell me that 'we couldn't save them'. I believe that they were just too scared to try. At 65 dwarves, most of which are useless, we're not functioning at full capacity. We need to attract more migrants.
- Corai, Weaver, Dariush, Litar and a dozen others are reaching breaking point. See below.
- I also extensively altered our workforce; woe be the idiots who designed this dumb place...
   - Two miners is hardly acceptable, seven peasants have been given mining jobs. Prominent figures include Solpyr, Nomia, No-Hair and Greenback
   - Five people, with no skill in carpentry, have had that job taken from them. One with some skill was given the job.
   - Five people have no skill in masonry, but we need them to build walls and whatnot. One with some skill was also given the job.
   - Two people, with no skill in engraving, have had that job taken from them. Five with some skill was given the job.
   - All nine people with the hunting skill have been, thankfully, released from that awful duty.
   - A whopping twenty two people did not have the 'recover wounded' skill. God knows why.
   - Two miners have had the furnace operating skill taken off them. They're too busy.
   - Eight people, with low skill in weaponsmithing, have had that job taken from them.
   - Eight people with no skill in armoursmithing have had the job taken from them. No wonder our armour and arms are of such fucking shit quality.
   - Five people with no skill in gem cutting and setting have been given a firm slap in the face.
   - Splint, a master-level stone crafter, has been given the job back. Five no-skills have lost their job.
   - Everyone except miners have been given the strand extraction job.
   - Four no-skill mechanics have been taken off the roster.
   - A lot of the fortress did not have the hauling labours. A lot of the fortress has been given the hauling labours.

There were also a lot of fiddling which I won't go too much in-depth to.

17th Granite:

Fighting on the bridge. A skeleton that remained outside during the necromancer siege just straight up bit that dog's feet off. My word.

Overgrowth of trees in the upper levels is to be trimmed.

Food stockpiles are too small, using old mine-shafts to store food.

I've tested all of the levers, and clearly marked their uses. Gods bless my foresight.

Surplus of many things ordered, not shown are rock tables and traction benches. This will keep our masons busy for a while.

26th Granite:

Migrants! Among them an expert marksdwarf, a skilled blacksmith, a miner, a competent marksdwarf, two expert gem cutters, a high-master wound-dresser/diagnostician, a high-master wound-dresser/suturer, a weaponsmith, a high-master armoursmith(!) and 20-something useless layabouts. Glorious day indeed!

Kannan (a no-skill doctor) has been replaced from the head-doctor by Cog, the high-master diagnostician. Some are protesting our out-sources labour, but they'll stop when they're properly taken care of.

Splint, the skilled appraiser, has been replaces as broker of Spearbreakers by Simon Tam, the adept appraiser and current mayor. Splint is far too busy being the manager and bookkeeper to handle that affair anyway.

Simon Tam and Weaver, the mayor/broker and hammerer/captain of the guard have finally met with me to complain about their lack of... anything. The other overseers should have handles this, but I can't say I'm surprised they have not. I'm beginning to think that they were all either lazy, inept, corrupt, or all three.

8th Slate:

Found no less than three holes to the caverns. Ugh. We're also far too busy to patch them up any time soon.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: April 28, 2012, 09:09:57 am »

Lovely. And.... why did the skeleton bite off a dog's feet?

I also vote we install more F.R.O.G.s around the outside as early detectors.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: April 28, 2012, 09:18:23 am »

You just USA'd the fort........
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: April 28, 2012, 09:27:14 am »

A bug with the lever-note image; I meant to paste the note for the REAR caravan bridge, but I pasted the front one twice. Oopsie.

Lovely. And.... why did the skeleton bite off a dog's feet?

I also vote we install more F.R.O.G.s around the outside as early detectors.

Also, what was F.R.O.G was again?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: April 28, 2012, 11:14:14 am »

F.R.O.G.
 a uncooked stew pet kiwi in a hole over a entrance looking down via floor grates.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: April 28, 2012, 03:24:40 pm »

Basically a primitive survalliance system to supplement Dorf!Mr Frog's person security cameras.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: April 28, 2012, 06:12:50 pm »

Wow, lots of changes to jobs... I have to say I approve - everything looked to be a mess before.
also, I obviously gave the name "Simon Tam" to completely the wrong person.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 02:01:43 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1106 on: April 28, 2012, 06:14:39 pm »

This is seriously epic. Sign me up for a turn and a dwarf (preferably a mechanic, or at least any of the engineering professions).
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: April 28, 2012, 08:16:22 pm »

This is seriously epic. Sign me up for a turn and a dwarf (preferably a mechanic, or at least any of the engineering professions).

Can do, but you'll likely end up a conscript I mean... uh... a volunteer! Yeah... Volunteer...

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: April 28, 2012, 08:25:10 pm »

Year 205, the rule of Mitch
Chapter 4: Picking up speed

Knowing full well the shear unkillability of the Spawn, a fully functioning military is paramount to survival of this fortress; and for every fortress that withstands the Spawn onslaught there's another bastion for dwarves and a wall for Spawn, and as each fortress falls we draw closer to being the last stand of dwarf-kind. And if others can survive, so can we.

9th Slate:

The military needs an overhaul; we're too few in number, under-equipped and under-trained. Considering Corai's severe depression, and the fact that he has no skill in pikedwarfship, he has been withdrawn from the military. However, there will be a wave of conscripts added to each squad (so far eight squads) to bring each squad up to five dwarfs. This will keep the logistics running smoothly with training whilst also reducing confusion between military tacticians in regard to which squad does what. Additionally, I am forging 20 sets of iron armour; this is to fill in the missing pieces of armour some of our guys have. If we train our low-level armourers, they will be able to suit us up quite nicely when we can get sets of adamantine running.

Okay, so here's what I can gather from our squads:
- The Brass Yor, lead by Weaver, is a hammerdwarf squad with 2 novices and 1 adequate . None of them have breastplates, one is missing greaves and boots.
- The Gloved Pages, lead by Fischer and Draignean, is a pikedwarf squad with 2 legendaries and 1 no-skill. Fully equipped with adamantine and steel but the quality is low.
- The Universities of Steel, lead by Gemblade, is an axe squad with 1 proficient and 4 novices. Well equipped in iron.
- The Lean Swords, lead by Fb, is a hammerdwarf squad with 1 expert and 4 novices. Equipped with iron with a few pieces missing. Not all have breastplates.
- The Gloved Bells, lead by The Master II, is a pikedwarf squad with 1 adequate and 3 novices. Low quality iron armour with a few pieces missing and no breastplates. Requisitioning additional breastplates.
- The Rooms of Glazing, lead by Wynz, axes, 4 adequate 1 novices, low quality iron and missing a few parts. No breastplates.
- Hatches of Fording, hammers, 1 proficient 2 novices, low quality iron with missing parts and no breastplates.
- The Safe Gloves, 1 expert, 2 competents and 2 novices. Not enough bolts, not enough pieces of armour.

I've levied a list of dwarves, based on their current happiness, to fill in spots. I've ignored those with useful professions.
Zinkydink
Greenback
Codyorr

Our stocks of metal are dangerously low, however. Probably due to the fact that we're under-populated. This might take a long time to get running properly...

12th Slate:
Turns out our high-master armoursmith died before my reign, and has risen from the dead... it seems like we'd be a lot better off if people would actually protect their constituents, but I guess this is what happens when you elect overseers via 'First in, best dressed'.

Our head doctor and high-master diagnostician has started calling himself 'NComannder'. Keeps saying he likes to fix people, which is more than what I can say for a lot of people here.

Wynz, recently injured, is eerily close to dying of de-hydration. No one has brought him water. And do you know what his injury is?

No really, that's it. I can't tell who I'm more shocked at; the idiot for starving himself over a stubbed toe or the idiots who are letting him. I'm going to dig a well in the caverns so people can bring the injured some fucking water.

We need more rope. We have plenty of cloth.

Moods are uplifting as the fortress bustles with activity. We still have no idlers still, which is a bad thing, meaning we're tasked beyond capacity.

It began to rain; normal rain. It washed away the blood, but it will be back again. Some children went out and played in the rain but it rained blood shortly after and they came back in, crying.

10th Felsite:

Wynz has died, and there are others who will shortly follow. Will someone please give them water?!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 02:27:27 am by Mitchewawa »

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: April 28, 2012, 08:33:29 pm »

I'd love a dwarfing.

Name: Lord Reudh - Profession: Mason or Bone Carver, anything useful. Conscript Reudh if need be.
Custom Profession - Swift Worker
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 815