Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 732 733 [734] 735 736 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2197881 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

Yeah, it's probably worth the wait for Toady to fix sieges. The other option is to make the Spawn have gigantic sites with huge populations.

This is why I've had this thing on hold. I'm hoping if nothing else he'll heed the call of boredom many people have been having and at least include a setting to let sieges poof the needed numbers together out of thin air like they used to.

Because it kind of defeats the purpose of having "new" enemies if they never attack you, and necromancers are right out the damn window because they're so horrendously OP now that it isn't fun fighting zombies even from a gameplay standpoint; hiding and hoping they go away only has so much appeal, but now one undead giant wren can kill seven armed dwarves and a half dozen dogs without much effort where in 34.xx it would have been the other way around.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile

It occurs to me that we could just make the fort in 34.11 if sieges are as broken as they're made out to be (terribly sorry that I don't have firsthand knowledge of this). It'd certainly suck and would be a last resort at best (if only because we'd be missing out on all of the other goodies the newer versions have), but it's still a thing that could be done, particularly if the issues aren't fixed promptly in the new release.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That is an option I suppose. My tests kept being greeted by pitifully small attacks that weren't even attacks; one or two spawn would linger because they were chasing emus around the map or whatever, and get swamped by a dozen soldiers trained to fight a horde. Hell in one test fort I lost more soldiers to accidental drowning thanks to climbing than combat.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile

a) Mugs now serve a purpose.

b) MUGS NOW SERVE A PURPOSE

c) MUGS NOW SERVE A PURPOSE

d) You're never going to actually do your sequel are you?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We're waiting on the next release is all. I'm still optimistic it'll be out within the next couple months.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

We're waiting on the next release is all. I'm still optimistic it'll be out within the next couple months.
That's alright, in the meantime I've:

So... all I can say is, the next update better be soon, or I might be a biplane pilot by the next time I post on the forums. ;p Also, someone please message me when the next Spearbreakers is about to start.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Hopefully when Toady finished this update (Including bugfixes) he will let us stew for a year without one, so we have time to start the sequel. Until then, good luck with your pilot classes!  :P
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 05:29:13 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

Hopefully when Today finished this update (Including bugfixes) he will let us stew for a year without one, so we have time to start the sequel. Until then, good luck with your pilot classes!  :P
>.> Really? That long? Oh well, I now can say I understand from experience why it takes so long... My simple game is taken a kajillion years to develop. But that's mostly because I don't have the Toad's work ethic or sufficient coffee. Thanks though, nice to be back on the forums. Sorry for neglecting you guys so long, y'all know how it is with that "life" thing.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile

I'm GMing now... which is taking entirely too much of my time. :P Also studying and programming and doing PR work for Voxel Quest. and other stuff. I've been busy.  :-\
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, at the current rate of not coming out, I leave the fates in the hands of you lot.

Setting up poll with three options. Wait for next game release and all the goodies that entails, use v40 (hit or miss attacks, considerably better Dwarf AI, more features in general, spawn die in magma) or v34 (less features in general, dumber AI, spawn refuse to die in magma, but attacks guaranteed.)

I want the next show to get in The Hall, but for the right reasons. Spearbreakers right now is more there in a non-complementary "Roll up, roll up, everyone come and see the freak" way. Seriously, looking back this place is a colossal pile of shit that didn't even end right. A fun pile of shit to be sure, one I'm amazed we were able to keep anything vaguely resembling a canon for, but a pile of shit all the same. At least that's my opinion.

As an alternative, I'm starting to look into absorbing a few things into my elf invasion mod, and expanding that in general, so we could possibly use that for the next fort in place of the spawn for the not-sequel, Crystalclock. Not quite as good as spawn, but I've been attacked consistently enough by the invading elves that they're more viable than the Spawn were in v40 testing.

In any event, I'm also in the market for hostile creatures of all shapes and sizes to make the world more dangerous if we use v40.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile

I want the next show to get in The Hall, but for the right reasons. Spearbreakers right now is more there in a non-complementary "Roll up, roll up, everyone come and see the freak" way. Seriously, looking back this place is a colossal pile of shit that didn't even end right.

Hey, now... it didn't go the way any of us wanted, but I think that's going a bit far. We had some good stuff going on, especially in the beginning and middle before things got out of hand. I know I've been pretty negative on it in retrospect as well, but I think you're being too hard on yourself :) Even if it got a bit silly, and even if there was a lot of stupid drama, we still had fun and produced some decent writing and fortress antics before FPS death/general delays set in and we all got bored and started getting off track -- which really only happened because we loved the story we'd built so much that we wanted to keep building on it even though the fortress itself had stalled. Be proud of yourself for making that happen.

...ANYWAYS, NOW THAT THE SAPPY STUFF WHICH IS BORDERLINE OUT-OF-CHARACTER FOR ME HAS CONCLUDED:

I don't feel that I know enough about the current version to make a decision, but I'm leaning towards sticking with 34x simply because, in my limited experience, 40x is hella slow and the next version would likely be even worse, especially in the beginning while all the bugs get sorted out, and I think that'd be horrible for a succession fort (unless you'd like every turn after #5 to take upwards of a week :V). It'd admittedly be a shame to miss out on all of 40x's bugfixes and other goodies, but that's the direction I'm leaning in. Note that I'm not voting, I'm just throwing in my two cents.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Man, I can't even find a real ending among the Savero updates. Pretty sure I had save trouble during that now that I think of it...

As to slowness, it's partly just the fault of trees. Less densely wooded areas don't really feel like that go much slower than v34, aside from the biweekly world history update thing causing a very brief hiccup in FPS sometimes. And either way, DF Hack is more then sufficient to counter the trees with run a quick map clean every so often (at the cost of the pretty smears of blood that used to be enemies/local wildlife/us.)

At present, dwarves are much better at threat assessment, I can say that much. Plus dwarves apparently suck at defending non-player sites during gameplay. The reason I'd want to use the next release (after the wave of follow-up patches and such of course,) is becaus eit'd open up plenty for some real roleplay/storytelling, with some among us making actual asses of themselves playing music, dancing, getting so smashed they can't walk home, scholars possibly taking up residence, fights with traveling mercs and such...

But then we still need consistent battle in some form. Blah, ramble ramble noise make. Going to bed.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

D'aww, I'm done reading and the stories aren't.
*waits (im)patiently for Talvieno to continue*
Yes, I read the entire thread, and then registered an account (and waited very impatiently for Bay12 to let me log in) just to say that I had finished, because this thread is that awesome.
I'm debating whether to claim a storydorf for SBII, but I doubt I could come anywhere close to the quality of the writers that are already here.
And for what it's worth, I want to see a direct sequel.  I don't know if the issue was decided or not but this plot is simply too epic to get scrapped.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 05:35:46 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

First off, welcome to the madhouse that is Bay12.

Secondly, you sir are completely deranged to have read the whole thread.

Third, a direct sequel is... Do-able, I guess. In a sense anyway. But it would be best done on 34.11. Attacks are variably sporadic thanks to the new army movement shit, and Spawn tend to get stamped out early on if they spawn too close to races that normally get along.

We've had the discussion about it in the past, and lots of it depends on the stories all being wrapped up, which isn't likely. The best that could be done with that at this point would be a coalescence of information about the disparate storylines, and even then it'd be ill-advised to adhere to it, instead going for a broad strokes thing

I for example envision a massive assault with Spawn, local mercs, and Ballpoint involved likely as the final large-scale fight for Vanya's story, and the fortress not falling until decades after this big climactic finale, Sewaturet drives all comers from its city and with Ballpoint, is successfully thrown off Joseph's trail following thier attack on his In-dimension HQ, OG!Mr Frog manages to kill Joseph with the help of Vanya and Recovery 5 due to certain things being monkey wrenched by utter chance (making arrogance and the fickle whims of Lady Luck a fatal combination to bring the bastard down,) and during the big Ballpoint assault, most of the Spearbreakers Army's veterans dying in battle against soldiers of equal skill among Ballpoint's forces, and the mass migration of the region's dwarves inland to get away from all the fighting now running rampant.

Overall, it's a bittersweet ending: Joseph is slain and the Fortress survives (for another century or two,) people like Mr Frog come out as better people for having achieved thier goals in killing someone, seeing the world,  and so on. But in the wake of the conflict, the dwarves of the Coastal Reaches eventually decide to flee, causing a massive power vacuum, barbarians and spawn appear in ever greater numbers, as man, elf, and goblin are constantly caught in the crossfire of the two, and the Scythod begin emerging from the Amber Barb to carve out thier own empires in the world, their tribes often coming to blows with the local peoples.

Of course, such a mass flight of dwarves can lead them to further hardships in places far worse, with the dwarves being... Well, Dwarves, such terror and unspeakable conflict are only to be expected. But they leave home bearing greater tools and beasts for war, and no matter what sort of fresh hell is unleashed upon them, they will endure as they always have.

And endure they must, as the "Great Inlands" are filled to bursting with terror unimaginable, but also the chance for the greatest triumphs for the dwarven peoples. Not just because they are dwarves, no. Not because they possess the finest blades, the first guns, or the best soldiers and engineers. But because they are dwarves. And even if they don't know it...

... None can ever truly best the chosen sons and daughters of Armok.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile

Splint, those last four lines are kinda epic. Nicely Done, I tip my Mug to you.

We need usable Mugs, simply so the Dwarves form attachments to their Mugs only to go insane when they are lost/destroyed/sold. There is little else which could convey the insanity that is, well, you know.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i
Pages: 1 ... 732 733 [734] 735 736 ... 815