Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 781 782 [783] 784 785 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2221906 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: [34.11] Spearbreakers - Prepping for reboot, now testing mods.
« Reply #11730 on: January 06, 2016, 08:35:07 pm »

Right, so it's just for use as a club. Good.

On the other hand, a copper rifle should probably wear out in about twenty shots. Is there any way of making weapons degrade through normal use?
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11731 on: January 06, 2016, 08:38:53 pm »

With or without DFHack?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11732 on: January 06, 2016, 08:39:48 pm »

Right, so it's just for use as a club. Good.

On the other hand, a copper rifle should probably wear out in about twenty shots. Is there any way of making weapons degrade through normal use?

Nope. Only way is by making it of a material taking damage at local temperature, which of course can't be controlled.

We can just suppose that Marksdwarves know how to maintain their rifles.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11733 on: January 06, 2016, 09:24:13 pm »

Indeed. I'm sure the manufacturing specs sold by Ballpoint also include maintenance instructions so the weapons can be tested and prettied back up to be sold.

As to fort testing, gonna go ahead and have a do-over with the not-apocalypse version. Every time I try to collect wood, the megaspawn show up; so it's making getting the basics up a little agitating when all I wanna do is make sure sieges work and field test the weapons and armor, to see them in action for myself (since it sounds like aside from unreliable chip availability, the reactions and whatnot are probably working properly.)

I also just can't be bothered to dig for the caverns when I know there's probably more megaspawn roaming level one to thwart further attempts at wood harvesting.

Certainly makes me consider handy-dandy survival things for the apocalypse version: Stone beds, and bulk mechanisms/rock spikes/blunt traps for very early mechanized defense (I figure a small mass of shitty rock spikes is better than nothing to cover the entrance.)

Seriously though, I still think there needs to be a separation between "everywhere's basically an evil biome minus weather" and "Not spawnpocalypse."

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11734 on: January 06, 2016, 09:27:37 pm »

That would be nice, yes.

I wasn't thinking because they'd wear out so much as that the barrels would bulge and explode after a very few shots.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11735 on: January 06, 2016, 09:29:03 pm »

You know, its at times like these that I sorta wish that DF had some of Gnomeorias crafting system. More materials that can be used! Maintaining stocks of items! Slightly more indepthness!

Also, because then we may be able to get just a few parts of a gun to wearout and have to be replaced...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11736 on: January 06, 2016, 09:32:25 pm »

Funnily enough, I never encountered any Megaspawn ever in my save file. Also, before you begin I updated some raws. I'm going to post them very soon. I just need to verify I didn't make any typo.

Changes :
- all decrypting processes upped to 100%
- degenerates slowed down
- added [FORCED] to battle-equipment to Ballpoint&Parasol. Essentially a buff.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11737 on: January 06, 2016, 09:38:30 pm »

Funnily enough, I never encountered any Megaspawn ever in my save file. Also, before you begin I updated some raws. I'm going to post them very soon. I just need to verify I didn't make any typo.

Changes :
- all decrypting processes upped to 100%
- degenerates slowed down
- added [FORCED] to battle-equipment to Ballpoint&Parasol. Essentially a buff.

Seems pretty solid. Definitely don't wanna pick a fight with them.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11738 on: January 06, 2016, 10:01:34 pm »

Alright, raws updated. Also, I may have discovered why I never encountered Megaspawn. They have the SAVAGE tag, which mean they will only appear in savage biomes.

My embark is probably a non-savage one.

Files for anyone who wants it :
Compiled raws :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ccgphuz9srt62o4/Spearbreakers%20Mod.zip?dl=0

Pre-installed :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xehqdv112hbawjt/Dwarf%20Fortress%20-%200.42.04%20-%20Spearbreakers.zip?dl=0

EDIT: Tell me if there is any problem.
EDIT2: Wooops, don't download it yet ! I just noticed this is the version where I lowered all sieges triggers !
EDIT3: Triggers corrected. You can download it :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 10:06:27 pm by Nakéen »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11739 on: January 06, 2016, 10:45:33 pm »

I hadn't considered the things being savage-dependant. I tend to embark on savage biomes when I feel like pitting militiadwarves against things the size of a small truck or larger.

Will download either before bed or upon getting home from work. Remembered one mod made by the same guy who made Stal's armory, and I'm having some fun with it.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #11740 on: January 06, 2016, 11:25:38 pm »

Eep, sorry about the SAVAGE tag. I put that in to restrict their range a bit (even though this would be moot for the actual fort, since we'd probably just end up picking an area that they appear in anyways) and forgot to note it down. May bad.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11741 on: January 06, 2016, 11:35:54 pm »

Eep, sorry about the SAVAGE tag. I put that in to restrict their range a bit (even though this would be moot for the actual fort, since we'd probably just end up picking an area that they appear in anyways) and forgot to note it down. May bad.

I found it actually consistent with the way I imagined Megaspawns. Only appearing in no-man's lands (which they would be the cause of ?).

Also, I was rather sad to never see a Megaspawn during all these years. :(

Oh, that makes me think. Currently we have Degenerates lurking everywhere and Mega roaming in Savage areas. What would you think of an additional "Variant stage" that would join the Semi- or Megabeast ranks ? Or we could promote Megaspawns to Semi-/Megabeast rank and add an additional variant for the Savage areas.

Just some food for thought.

EDIT: OR I could add a special surprise modded Megabeast of my own brew ! :D
Tee-hee.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11742 on: January 06, 2016, 11:43:44 pm »

Well, I still personally would consider something as frightful as this version of megaspawn to be the highly destructive "solo" monster. I'd still like to see jumbo warriors roaming around.

Proposition: Rename Megaspawn to Uberspawn and make them semi-megabeasts, and revive the old Megaspawn as a level two cave hazard and a possible encounter in savage mountains and savage/regular badlands/rocky wastelands.

Also making the spawn settle these areas would probably make some sense - the surrounding lands become desolate wastelands, ravaged by the hive, and free up space for other mountain civs. Also changing the site type to dark fortresses may better reflect the disorganized nature spawn hives likely have, and make it easier to determine where bad guys are.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11743 on: January 06, 2016, 11:47:09 pm »

Wouldn't the problem with Dark Fortress be the generated clown acting as the master ? And depending on the current noble positions definition of the Spawns, it may lead to a worldgen crash.

Also, no custom made megabeastie, aaw. (the thingy would actually have been too "mega" for a megabeast. So it's for the beast best for everyone)

Oh, and going through the raws of both current Megaspawns and "old" Megaspawn, I would like to warn that the "old" ones are faaar nastier than the current. The current is just a big lump of destructive flesh booted with a bonus interaction.
The "old" ones are machines of pure madness made to be old fortress destroyers.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 11:51:37 pm by Nakéen »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11744 on: January 06, 2016, 11:56:11 pm »

How are the old ones super bad? Last i checked they were party-size servings of a single spawn warrior.
Pages: 1 ... 781 782 [783] 784 785 ... 815