Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2196379 times)

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs.
« Reply #1185 on: May 06, 2012, 03:30:42 am »

Oh, forgot to dwarf you people.

Okay, Aira is our current fortress lever puller (no jobs, sits in the dining room all day. How's that for lazy?)
Reudh is a legendary mason.

Reply if I forgot you.

Bolts are going to be as ineffective as pikes, might as well use our unused copper to make them anyway.

Easily done, and we have a serious surplus of both iron...

Pffhahaha. When I started we had 0 bars left. We're up to 30 (though that is including my partial making of 30 new sets of iron armour).

Mitch, did you get nest boxes set up? After five years we still don't have nest boxes set up for the emus.

Hm, I didn't think of that but now that I do, breeding some war emus would be pretty kick-ass. We don't really need the extra food. Do they need to graze?
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: May 06, 2012, 03:34:26 am »

@Splint, Reudh:

I don't think bone bolts can hit hard enough to fracture the Spawn's hearts (unless you get very very lucky), and they don't feel pain or bleed. Plus, the heart is a small target. You might as well be shooting at a straw dummy for all the good it'll do.

@Mitch:

Birds are still powered by internal antimatter reactors AFAIK. Pasturing shouldn't be necessary.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: May 06, 2012, 03:37:10 am »

Except to park giant war emus in front of the entry. Have fun fighting that goblins! Survived a mess of flying bolts and metal spike? now you get to fight giant pissed off terrestrial birds.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: May 06, 2012, 03:42:15 am »

Perhaps if Spearbreakers falls, you could have a workshop similar to the 'Extract from a dead animal' job at butchers that pulls the core out. Of course, once you have got it, after a while it should fight back in some way, like Globofglob and his adamantine statues driving him mad.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: May 06, 2012, 03:44:27 am »

The trouble with butchering sentients is that you can eat the meat, which makes gathering food unnecessary. It's like farming on steroids - one siege and you're set for years. =P

Easily done, and we have a serious surplus of both iron...

Pffhahaha. When I started we had 0 bars left. We're up to 30 (though that is including my partial making of 30 new sets of iron armour).

Mitch, did you get nest boxes set up? After five years we still don't have nest boxes set up for the emus.
Huh, there were veins everywhere on my turn... Has everything really been mined out?

Hm, I didn't think of that but now that I do, breeding some war emus would be pretty kick-ass. We don't really need the extra food. Do they need to graze?
Splint took out all grazing. Anything can be pastured anywhere, or even not at all if you feel so inclined.
And yeah, war emus would be awesome. It's hilarious, in a way, that all the previous overseers have been using them for anything but what they were originally intended for. lol
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: May 06, 2012, 03:46:57 am »

@Splint:

Well, you could assign the emus to a child and burrow the child in an isolated shack filled with adequate supplies, thus ensuring that the goblins will go after the child first and be softened up by the emus before they get to the fortress proper. But that'd be a waste of emus -- they're probably better for mop-up. And I suppose you'd run out of spare children after a bit.

@Talvieno:

My F.R.O.G. is the single greatest use for avians that anyone has ever devised and you know it >:(
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: May 06, 2012, 03:50:12 am »

The normal sized ones were for eggs and meat. The giant ones explicitly to be imported as fighting beasts.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: May 06, 2012, 03:52:43 am »

Hrm... I don't like the idea of the kid out in the middle of nowhere... Wouldn't last very long, and I doubt giant emus would be the best first defense against Spawn attacks anyway. Auxiliary forces, definitely, but not front line infantry. No armor.

Lol, Mr Frog. :P Wouldn't a stray dog do just as well? We have hundreds. lol   (and I've been using your F.R.O.G. in most fortresses since I learned about it, so. lol   but always with cats, to keep them and their mind-controlling antics away from dwarves.)

Oh, and Mitch - you forgot HorridOwn4ge, who wants to be dwarfed as Kramer, preferably a crutch walker with a military background.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: May 06, 2012, 03:56:38 am »

So is everyone dwarfed then?

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: May 06, 2012, 03:57:22 am »

So is everyone dwarfed then?

Oh, and Mitch - you forgot HorridOwn4ge, who wants to be dwarfed as Kramer, preferably a crutch walker with a military background.

:)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: May 06, 2012, 03:59:42 am »

@Talvieno:

This is Dwarf Fortress. Placing children in mortal peril to secure some vague, fleeting benefit when safer and more-effective methods are readily available is just another day at the office.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: May 06, 2012, 04:03:25 am »

Though anyone who bothered to read, one of the challenges is to let the little brats lives (in effect try to make a multigenerational fortress if at all possible.)

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: May 06, 2012, 05:37:27 am »

Except for Fischer and Draignean, Kramer is our highest skilled military dwarf (proficient hammer). Couldn't find a crutch-walker.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: May 06, 2012, 11:17:47 am »

I've just glanced through this thread.  I am most intrigued. 

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: May 06, 2012, 02:32:09 pm »

BONE BOLTS!

unless we used them all running from the hands.

BTW, how is Minkot?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 815