Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2192119 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (.34.07)
« Reply #1395 on: May 17, 2012, 02:14:56 am »

He wouldn't tell me. But he said we'd be able to take it using fighting animals and soldiers alone. Knowing our luck though, he lied and the damn things breath neurotoxin or something.

On an unrelated note, I have a fancy fourhorned mudman that exudes toxic vapor in my new haphazard cavern fort. Should I send my sword squad to kill it?

Also, turns shifted around due to Doctormonch not being very active. Anyone want a second turn in case we get that far?

Paintbrushturkey

• Bay Watcher
  • BWHAHAHAHA - No, we're perfectly same, aren't we?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: May 17, 2012, 02:21:12 am »

breaching the hfs with military alone is quite possible (if they are in full legendary candy that is)...... and has in fact been done.... although anyhting that explodes on death kinda sucks..... but shields do help there as well....
Some People are like Slinkies. Not really good for much, but they still bring a smile to your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: May 17, 2012, 02:31:09 am »

Hmm. May I be placed on the turn list?

Also, maybe don't send in the swordsdorfs, unless they're all nobles, fishermen or vampires.

Or you're feeling particularly sadistic.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: May 17, 2012, 02:37:51 am »

The funny thing is, they all used to be fishery workers. Now they've all killed at least one troll, a few troglodytes, and one even kicked a giant slug FB to death after his sword got stuck in a wing. The squad is led by an elite wrestler, a frothing rage-filled ambulatory beard of a dorf named Sazir the firnace operator. He only has one hand. ANd he beats things to death with a shield.

And absolutly Niccolo. I'll put you on. You may get bumped up if anyone is supected of being MIA.

Paintbrush, I hope you're ready. You got moved up to right after Stormtemplar.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: May 17, 2012, 03:21:10 am »

o.O Wow. Cool.

xD How did I know your military would be ex fishery workers? Well, given their troll-killing aptitude I think they can be considered "Not as expendable as fishermen/millers/glazers"
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: May 17, 2012, 03:33:07 am »

If anyone cares, I've now got a couple of entries in what I have decided to call the Joseph Saga written down. I'm not going to actually post anything until I've gotten more done; it's still early, so there's a pretty good chance that I'll flake, and it'd suck to end up with a side story that cuts off a quarter of the way through due to the author basically saying "fuck it".
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: May 17, 2012, 03:36:02 am »

Actually much of the fort's trade goods are decorated with turtle shell they caught before I hastily drafted them to kill a trog infestation that was threatening my silk industry. Honestly I only drafted them because they happened to be the closest ones to the weapons stockpile, as was Sazir. I've grown attached to that little one handed psycho.
Also, a bison thing with a shell and a web spitter has appeared. If I could figure out how to stun it, I'd make a silk farm with it. I've given consideration to kill the fancy mudman with marksdorfs, but that probably wouldn't work out so well.

To game talk, I imagine one of Dorf!Mr Frog's descendants looking out ona battlefield. it is pockmarked with craters, a gigantic spawn laying lifeless, it's body rittle with holes and head exploded by a tank shell. Many saw-pikes and railguns litter the battleground with thier fallen owners and many dead spawn. A pair of mighty war machines lay in smoking heaps.... And he wonders just what the hell his forebeaerer's superiors were thinking when they caused this mess.

And then he thanks his ancestor for all of the technology he brought to bear with his being in thier iteration of existence, his reseach and efforts making battles like this far less horrible for dwarfkind than they once were.....

And @ Mr Frog proper, keep going! You haven't graced us with anything in some time.

OverlordTNT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: May 17, 2012, 05:17:37 am »

Lurker! Protect the thread from skulking filth!

Hello, madman here!

First things first this is batshit insanity. Secondly, pls dwarf  me as the next macedorf to arrive. Thirdly, can i have a year if the fort survives that long please?
Things i'd like to do with the fort.
1. get a proper goddamn marksdwarf militia going. that oughta deal with the zombs. Use Ashsaber a random chained up spawn as a practice target.
2. Build a "take the f***ing spawn with us" magma superweapon that is basically the entire magma sea in one tile held in by a floodgate linked to a remote lever. I do this 'un a lot. While technically weaponized magma, the lever for it  is going to be pulled by the last dwarf alive, shortly before he gets devoured. Thus it does not count as it is just a way of going out in a blaze of !!FUN!! and !!GLORY!!
3. Wait. HOLY SHIT I JUST MADE IT CYCLICAL.(You see ,headshoots was founded in a world that had been burnt by a fiery Armageddon.)
4. So now you have the order. Headshoots, Syrupleaf, Spearbreakers, and Headshoots again

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: May 17, 2012, 05:25:23 am »

Magma isn't to be weaponized in any fashion. We found in testing the Spawn don't burn so good.... But welcome to the thread, Bay 12, and of course you may have a turn!

Marksdorfs are already being trained, but they're used solely as support troops under most circumstances. The only enemies they'd do much good against are goblins and some zombies. Although using Ashsaber as a pinchusion is a good idea... maybe we can figure out a a means to use him as such.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: May 17, 2012, 05:28:49 am »

Magma isn't to be weaponized in any fashion. We found in testing the Spawn don't burn so good....

Have you considered Obsidianizing your problematic creatures?  From what I've seen in a few surface screenshots, they seem to huddle together.  Coat them with magma and then flood them from a higher z-level so it flows over the magma and cast obsidian.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: May 17, 2012, 05:33:13 am »

We don't have a limitless watersource save for the caverns, and that's proven.... hazardous. We still have the human torch down there afterall.

OverlordTNT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: May 17, 2012, 05:41:02 am »

Use the hole above Ashy's room to shoot down. make it bigger, possibly.

Paintbrushturkey

• Bay Watcher
  • BWHAHAHAHA - No, we're perfectly same, aren't we?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: May 17, 2012, 05:48:06 am »

oh cool i got moved up :-) thx splint, as to using spawn as target why not carve some fortifications in the back of them and then station a squad of marksdwarves there :-), whilst legendary mksdwarves may not kill the spawn i imagine they will be quite irritating nevertheless :-)

ns if casting the spawn in obsitian counts as weaponization of magma ;-)

on a side note, why are you using pitchblende for rockhammers and not somethign more dense? ie native platinum or gold ?
Some People are like Slinkies. Not really good for much, but they still bring a smile to your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: May 17, 2012, 06:01:47 am »

Too valuable. pitchblende is (or should be anyway) dense, heavy, and best of all, worthless.
And if it's being used explicity to kill anything then yes, it is weaponization.
As far as the fortification deal, I have no idea if anything's been built there. Plus Ashsaber will scare away engravers.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: May 17, 2012, 06:31:20 am »

We don't have a limitless watersource save for the caverns, and that's proven.... hazardous. We still have the human torch down there afterall.

A cavern watersource can be turned into a reservoir if the fort needs water.  Channel out a tank (single or multi-z-level) underneath the lake and use a miner to dig a ramp upwards and run.  If you pre-dig the floodgate-protected start of several floored-over tunnels, you can get water flowing anywhere in the fortress somewhat safely.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 815