Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178660 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A hopeful epic.
« Reply #150 on: February 29, 2012, 06:32:20 pm »

8th Slate, 202. Interm entry.

I'm becoming wary of this Mr Frog fellow. Honestly even I thought it strange when he ordered the troopers locked into containment cells - I am no fool. I see how those things are used by that damnable corperation - rather than just have them patched up and sent back to training.
He questioned why I had Fischer training the others out by the depot, when the reason to have an imediate response handy to agressors while the bridge is down should have been obvious.

I was also going through the records and found that pitchblende mechanism Mr Frog brought to my attention; Who the fuck thought using our hammerstones for a mechanisim would be a good idea!? If I find out who made that I may well beat them myself and save Mr Frog the hassel of selecting a hammerer.

15th Slate, 202. Interm entry.
These losses are starting to become unacceptable. How am I to gather an army to fight these invaders if they insist on dying or turning into said invaders!? If my instructor end up dead I'll have to insist upon leading the army myself.

I've also been hearing the voices again. Maybe Stova's death is starting to wear me down, or it could be I heard The Master yelling for wood polish again. I swear, if it were legal he'd marry that stupid pole. I'm beginning to regret ever having it commisioned for him.

- On the following page is an image of crossed pikes behind a winged skull.

Rodge is one of the legendary miners. I don't know about his mood, but he's still alive.

why haven't you set yourself as expedition leader?

As far as I know, there's no choice in the matter with the expedition leader. It's usually it's the dorf with the most admin/social skills thta gets selected.

codyorr

• Bay Watcher
  • Alcohol is how I make DF more !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 29, 2012, 06:38:50 pm »

Great so far. Keep up the great work. Dwarf me as a loser or something if you feel like it.
A rotting horse corpse since 201. !!DRUNK FORTRESS!!

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 29, 2012, 06:43:43 pm »

Is Rodge still alive? What's his mood like in all this horror?

Aside from being a lazy fuck, he's fine. Predictably, the residents of the fort don't give a single shit between them about the migrants who got massacred. I was hoping/fearing that maybe one of the deceased would turn out to be related to our dwarves, but nope.

I've come up with a solution for the Syrupleaf XK-Class Apocalypse continuity snarl. I'm trying to build up to it organically, but I might have to infodump it if I end up making this a half-turn. Don't worry -- it still makes no sense whatsoever.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 29, 2012, 06:47:25 pm »

Don't worry -- it still makes no sense whatsoever.

And not making sense is what great epics are all about!

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 29, 2012, 06:51:03 pm »

Surprised nobody even considered my idea for the continuation issue, but oh well. I didn't spend long on it, though it did make sense, for the most part. (after all, when the narrator goes stark raving mad, anything goes)

Also,
I stopped reading the moment I saw "turned into mutant spawn."

Going into this blind.
In my opinion, very bad idea.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 29, 2012, 06:52:13 pm »

I've come up with a solution for the Syrupleaf XK-Class Apocalypse continuity snarl. I'm trying to build up to it organically, but I might have to infodump it if I end up making this a half-turn. Don't worry -- it still makes no sense whatsoever.

Just to help me get this straight, the continuity snarl is primarily caused by the fact that the surface of this realm should be solid obsidian, right?
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 29, 2012, 07:02:01 pm »

Just to help me get this straight, the continuity snarl is primarily caused by the fact that the surface of this realm should be solid obsidian, right?
Yes, more or less. UNLESS the narrator was stark raving mad, or had no clue what he was talking about! :D :D :D OR unless a civilization of the future came and screwed everything up, leaping back and forth through space and time several times, yada yada, leaving giant paradoxes in its wake, leaving people frozen in stasis loops, but everything's ok. :D   OR...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 29, 2012, 07:03:00 pm »

Yup. This is something I more or less handwaved by more or less buturing that one and only aspect of the canon. The spawn are how they are now due to conflicting AI of thieves and building destroyers. But if you have a good idea please share.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 29, 2012, 07:04:30 pm »

Yup. This is something I more or less handwaved by more or less buturing that one and only aspect of the canon. The spawn are how they are now due to conflicting AI of thieves and building destroyers. But if you have a good idea please share.
Occam's razor. "from among competing hypotheses, selecting the one that makes the fewest new assumptions usually provides the correct one, and that the simplest explanation will be the most plausible until evidence is presented to prove it false." - wikipedia

it makes sense. Having the narrator go loony is a lot simpler than what the narrator came up with.

*continues blissful snarling*
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 07:06:06 pm by Talvieno »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 29, 2012, 07:05:21 pm »

Yes, more or less. UNLESS the narrator was stark raving mad, or had no clue what he was talking about! :D :D :D OR unless a civilization of the future came and screwed everything up, leaping back and forth through space and time several times, yada yada, leaving giant paradoxes in its wake, leaving people frozen in stasis loops, but everything's ok. :D   OR...

Or a forgotten beast made of water crashed into the planet, muddying the obsidian and allowing plants to grow again. Skip to a thousand years later and tectonic activity has rearranged the obsidian so that it is no longer a contiguous sheet, and the great, great, grandchildren of those that dug their way out of their sealed fortresses and castles have reclaimed the surface.

Well, that's my K.I.S.S theory.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 29, 2012, 07:06:18 pm »

and thus a whol eheap of brainfuck was born, trying to figure out how the fuck anything lives on the world anymore.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 29, 2012, 07:10:52 pm »

Eh, we could vote on it. Since this screwup was caused by the community, it might as well be fixed by it. Right? (I'm not totally for this one)

On a related note, did it make sense to anyone that there were records of people visiting Syrupleaf in the exact same thread that they claimed Syrupleaf was immediately destroyed by the gods after it fell? I mean, even in the original story there were two completely different timelines.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 29, 2012, 07:12:41 pm »

Eh, we could vote on it. Since this screwup was caused by the community, it might as well be fixed by it. Right? (I'm not totally for this one)

On a related note, did it make sense to anyone that there were records of people visiting Syrupleaf in the exact same thread that they claimed Syrupleaf was immediately destroyed by the gods after it fell? I mean, even in the original story there were two completely different timelines.

This is true. Very true. Including arguments about Sirrocco's gazeebo actually being a gazeebo among archeologists.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 29, 2012, 07:16:40 pm »

So... clearly the world split into multiple timelines (though a cataclysmic clash of corrupted creators' crafts) or the narrator went insane (literally lost it, leaving for ludicrously loony land).

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 29, 2012, 07:19:07 pm »

Pretty much.

----

From a small bedroom in the heart of Spearbreakers, a message is sent. Both the medium of the message and the means of sending it are unlike anything which would be discovered by the dwarven race for at least 10 millenia (the exact timescale varies somewhat between iterations).

The following is a rough transcription of that message...

(Take the above as canon if you like -- I'm really just writing it because I'm bored.)
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 815