Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2198722 times)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (.34.07)
« Reply #1545 on: May 21, 2012, 09:45:47 am »

I've breached hell a few different times. lol   I encountered it relatively early on - without spoilers from the community.
After the first encounter, I've always kind of wanted revenge on them... Second time was a near-miserable failure, 100+ webber/fire demons in a 13 year old fort (the max is NOT 80). Third time I almost made it - only 50 demons against a fortress of dwarves who had all been trained in combat. Unfortunately, a goblin siege showed up at the same time and rushed into my fortress. Didn't have any dwarves to pull the levers and they got in. Attacked from two sides, everyone fell. These demons didn't breathe fire or webs - I would've won if it hadn't been for the goblins. Fourth time was the result of a cave-in. >.> Whoops. Obviously wasn't ready.

Just make sure the gates are closed before you begin, Mitch. lol   If you're going to release them. Oh, and no, fortifications don't work. They won't path to them because they can't path around them. However... Demons tend to stop at any doors they can find to pull them down, even if there are dwarves nearby. You might be able to use this to your advantage.

I never tried the checkerboard, ThatAussieGuy - always wanted to do it "legit", with pure dwarf power.

Talvieno's basically the reactions guy out of the three of us
I do creatures, too, Splint. lol   I did 30+ for the corpse fortress mod I'm working on on and off, and I did the scythods and manamaids too. Though I will admit, Mr Frog's creatures tend to be better than mine.

I have no godly idea how to make grave titans grow to proper size, and quite frankly I wish i could set it so adult Grave Titans were a rare encounter.
[BODY_SIZE:(insert adult year here):(insert days into adult year here):(insert desired body size at this age)]
[FREQUENCY:5] (will make them rarer to come across)
[POPULATION_NUMBER:5:10] (will make far fewer total to come across - killing 5 to 10 means no more grave titans, if I understand right)
[CLUSTER_NUMBER:(min):(max)] (number of creatures to appear in spawned group)
That should do it for you. :)

Spearbreakers II would be absolute madness, Sus. I'm kind of scared of it. Radioactivity by itself is a complete game-changer. You have to sort out the fast dwarves from the slow ones, the dizzy ones can't be warriors, the strong ones make better warriors, the biggest mutants can wield larger human weapons, the ones oozing blood tend to die eventually... It's wild. Swelling makes them bleed, too, if it's severe enough, though it doesn't mention that in the wiki... Honestly I think I'm almost against radioactivity being used in a Spearbreakers sequel. I like the idea of the new weapons and creatures, though.

And Aseaheru: I have a habit of making long posts. :P
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: May 21, 2012, 11:16:57 am »

I never tried the checkerboard, ThatAussieGuy - always wanted to do it "legit", with pure dwarf power.

I get that.  I just suggested it as a quick and easy way to toss a pick at the floor and see first-hand what happens when a spire is breached without having to set up a fort, make it's food supply stable, etc, before digging down in search of !!Fun!!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: May 21, 2012, 11:50:51 am »

Sythod invaders from the stars....
Manamaids from the deep....
Barbarians from across the seas....
Massive malfunctioning automatons.....
Megaspawn......

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: May 21, 2012, 12:55:36 pm »

Sounds fun, get the spears urist.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: May 21, 2012, 02:02:05 pm »

@Talvieno:

I've been modding creatures pretty extensively since 40d. I just sort of innately know how to engineer what I want by this point :p

@Splint:

Maybe, once Spearbreakers I goes to pot and it's time for a sequel, we should have a sort of 'Modder's Potluck' beforehand where a bunch of people put up {a} mod{s} to be used in the game while signing up for a turn :D :D :D

(The final word on whether a mod would be used would still come from you, of course.)
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: May 21, 2012, 02:21:09 pm »

If that's the case, then perhaps you should do the Grave Titans yourself. I can't make heads or tails of this mess and I've had help from Talvieno and the creatures guy on another mod. They helped me understanbd crap a little better, but.... I'd rather stick to making weapons, armor, and whatnot. Anything that doesn't shoot I can do.

And I like the idea. Might do away with the radiation deal and go with whatever happens to be offered up prior to the game.

And if ytou're up to the grave titans, I'll give you a rundown of what they need in a PM.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: May 21, 2012, 02:36:01 pm »

Well, the radiation is cool (Talvieno's random generator is brilliant). Adds a bit more strategy to the game -- and I'm not just saying that because it was me who came up with the initial concept, got it? :p

PM me with the details on gravies and I'll see what I can do.

A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

OverlordTNT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: May 21, 2012, 03:00:27 pm »

WUT

Um, manamaids?

Also,

Diary of Black Sankis

By the hells, my spawn are effective. I keep finding packs  of them near spearbreakers , possessing the leader, and, ahem, redirecting them.
Also, i have ordered them to look for individuals by the name of Sankis. There were sankis's at Syrupleaf and Headshoots, so their might be some here. I want to know how the family is doing!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 03:06:17 pm by OverlordTNT »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: May 21, 2012, 03:02:14 pm »

Manamaids can make you pass out and bleed from your eyes simultaniously. That's thier power, "Bust a sexy move!"

And I really have no way to adeqautly describe just how godawful to look at they are in general....

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: May 21, 2012, 03:53:39 pm »

Sorry guys, but griefers hacked my minecraft server and messed everything up, including backups. I'm kinda depressed so you'll have to wait a bit for my next entry.
What do you think? Yes? No?

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: May 21, 2012, 06:32:13 pm »

Maybe, once Spearbreakers I goes to pot and it's time for a sequel, we should have a sort of 'Modder's Potluck' beforehand where a bunch of people put up {a} mod{s} to be used in the game while signing up for a turn :D :D :D

I hope that's not going to be a pre-requisite... about the only mod I know how to make is attaching wings to things that shouldn't have wings. And since it loks like this fortress will burn in the fires of creation Armok before my turn, I'mma going to jump straight on over to the Spearbreakers II one.

As it turns out, giving badgers wings is a bad idea.

I guess I could learn how to mod. I mean, I've made mods for Oblivion... how hard can this game be? Would you want the mods to be sorta post-apocalyptic flavoured? That's what you sem to be going for... It smacks of Fallout.

I wonder... Hmm. This calls for investigation.

Also? Year two is a bitch to write a poem about.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: May 21, 2012, 06:40:38 pm »

I seriously doubt submitting a mod would be mandatory. From what I know about how people work, that'll just result in a buttload of half-assed submissions just so that the submitter can get a turn.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: May 21, 2012, 06:42:33 pm »

I seriously doubt submitting a mod would be mandatory. From what I know about how people work, that'll just result in a buttload of half-assed submissions just so that the submitter can get a turn.

"Whats your mod?"

"Flying badgers the size of giant whales that shoot fire."

"Ya know Mr Frog, I think that you were right..."
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: May 21, 2012, 06:47:34 pm »

The automaton idea is called a MR FROG. Imagine liberty prime without ranged weapons, and you got it. The name refers to both Mr Frog here, one of two head modders on this clusterfuck, and is a reference to the Mr. Gutsy/Handy robots. Basically the result of a guardian suffering a programming error, causing it to percieve everything that moves as either spawn or goblins. It can however be killed if its main proccessor is damaged.

And no, the mods wouldn't be a requirment, but if the player wants to contribute, they can.

And badgers with wings.... make'em breathe fire, and be common animals and trainable. War Dragon-badgers!

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: May 21, 2012, 06:54:41 pm »

Corai, I don't know what you've been smoking, but the way I see it, giant fire-breathing badgerdragons are frickin' awesome.

I was thinking more something completely stupid and inane, like "Here is my Chubby Helmets, they are like plump helmets but coloured red". Or some barely-functioning piece of crap that doesn't work right and clogs the errorlog with 5KB of reports every time you load the file (I imagine documenting the modders' screw-ups will be a form of entertainment in and of itself).

Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 815