Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2193200 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (.34.07)
« Reply #1575 on: May 23, 2012, 07:40:26 pm »

I'll list his death when you update.

As far as training goes, having the squad leader with competant or better speeds things up quite a bit, as Fischer can attest to, as she trained the majority of the pikedwarves herself. Also they need to leanr the basics of soldiering (striking, dodging, kicking, armor use, shield combat, etc) before they'll spar.

Now if these were humans, and I shit you not, the second two recruits are together for training they'd have begun wailing on eachother. it seems dwarves take more care in training soldiers than humans do in the game. To explain, I made humans playable after copying over a few things to give them assiganable military. I assigned a squad to train in the barracks, all 5 men activated. The minute two were in the room they started beating eachother silly. Only the Sergeant had any weapon or teaching skill. Not sure if this means humans are more agressive than at first glance in-game or what, but it still shows dwarves care a little more.

If you haven't and need more pike instructors, assign Draignean, as he's attained legend-ish status and can put that knowlege to better use training more redshirts.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: May 23, 2012, 08:36:51 pm »

@Splint:

Dwarves and humans do have different personality trait spreads, so it's possible that humans are more likely to have whatever trait{s} control{s} how early they let recruits spar. Going to have to go raw-diving to check.

Of course, there's the chance that the squad captain just happened to be unusually-reckless. If ya wanna get real scientific about it, make 10 squads with leaders assigned at random and see how many of them go straight to sparring like you describe.

Also: did they actually injure each other during sparring? ??? I don't think I've ever seen that.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: May 23, 2012, 09:00:51 pm »

Well they did standard wrestling, as at the time I had no weapons save for the Sergeant's halberd, and just wanted some people ready to beat thieves into a state of perpetual coma.

I'll have to see about that. Happened twice though.

Also, according to someone regarding the new way collisions and such are handled, unhelmeted wrestling can lead to deaths now.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: May 23, 2012, 09:24:47 pm »

You throw the Swordsman by his left fourth toe.
The Swordsman skids along the ground, bruising his left cheek muscle, breaking his nose, and shattering his skull, tearing the brain.

The Swordsman has been struck down.

You: Um. I uh... Sorry man. Someone get him a towel.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 09:37:22 pm by Hanslanda »
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: May 23, 2012, 09:29:21 pm »

What I read was brusied muscle, shattered skull, torn brain.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: May 23, 2012, 09:37:53 pm »

>.>
<.<
>.>

That is totally what it said this whole time.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: May 23, 2012, 09:40:32 pm »

I'm dead serious. According to the player, a throw in wrestling can be lethal without a helmet.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: May 23, 2012, 10:09:01 pm »

Sounds about right. Hard stone floor + unprotected skull + gravitational acceleration = DO NOT WANT.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: May 23, 2012, 10:11:25 pm »

yeah, but  a less than 5 foot fall/slam and skid? Come on, the back of a dwarf's skull should be harder than that.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: May 24, 2012, 12:21:55 am »

yeah, but  a less than 5 foot fall/slam and skid? Come on, the back of a dwarf's skull should be harder than that.

Given how... disturbingly accurate Toady's modelling of anatomy is, a three-foot chokeslam done just right can quite easily crack at. The skull has a bunch of fissure lines in it, providing weak points to crack open at.

The difficult part of it is getting them to hit the ground just right.

Dwarves may have thicker skulls than humans, but their bones still have to pay attention to the laws of physics. And if some burly guy who spends all day dragging rocks around decides to use your skull as a hammer? There's plenty of force there.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: May 24, 2012, 12:24:29 am »

it just means they need fancy metal hats now is all.

Anyone got a story to pass the time?

EDIT: Ok, to pass time I'm doing some !!SCIENCE!! of sorts regarding training between dorfs and humans.

Dwarves as we know, take time to teach new recruits the basics of soldiering. Dodging, striking wrestling and the like, before sparring. I have observed humans jump right into sparring as soon as two of them are ready to train. in both instances I observed, the rest of the squad, including thier instructor, hadn't arrived and they lacked weapons. So two raw recruits jumped straight into the sparring. I am about to go in, and have a question: What weapon skill (nonranged) shall the first team use?

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: May 24, 2012, 01:38:11 am »

Was it with different squad commanders each time?

Also, two test groups != ‼SCIENCE‼. Try getting 10 or so squads going and we'll analyze that.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: May 24, 2012, 01:43:04 am »

I've started with two halberdiers. Until enough raw migrants arrive, They'll be training together.

EDIT: Quarters aside, I actually think humans are more efficent with dirt and wood than dwarves are with stone and metal.... By spring's end, I had a farm up, light metalworking via embark metals, all ym usual food processing shops up, a simple barracks, a well is waiting to be made once I find a stone lump, a crude messhall dormitory combo.....

Jesus I've never gotten this much done with dwarves.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: May 24, 2012, 02:06:39 am »

There's nothing in the raws to suggest that humans would be any more efficient at those tasks. It was probably all you. For one glorious season, you had become one with the ASCII, and all was as swimming is to the fish.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: May 24, 2012, 02:21:18 am »

That's a little disturbing, but I'll roll with it. Just saying, I've never gotten even crude facilities ready this fast before, even in just dirt.

Ok, so as far as the control instructors go, they each get a pass as they already had points dropped in all basic soldierng skills an assault trooper would need, except wrestling, kicking, and biting.

Skills they both had at start
Competant Axe
Adequate Striker and Fighter (subordinate had novice dodge, adequate strike)
Novice Strike

Commander's personality that I would imagine affects training was as follows
Calm demeanor
Disorganized
Strives for excellence
Has a sense of duty
Somewhat reserved

The imediatly began training by sparring.

EDIT: Migrants have come, And I have a hammer squad instructor among them. I need to find weapons-grade ores to arm him and get hiom that fish dissector for the next training squad. I'll assume humans are more agressive fighters and trainers if their response to raw recruits is to keep smacking them till they hit back, unlike the dwarven basic training method.

EDIT II: Unintended science, it takes humans meer weeks to grow attached to a weapon. In my expierence, dwarves take months of traing with those weapons or fighting with them to do so.
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 815