Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2199298 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #3585 on: July 29, 2012, 01:10:43 am »

Good updates everyone. :) 

Speaking of which, let's expand on Mystery Character from the original Urist saga a wee bit. I'll begin with this.

Nomen erat Iohanne
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ninja'd. :P
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #3586 on: July 29, 2012, 01:15:48 am »

Out of curiosity, who's the Mystery Character again? It's been so long that I can't remember :V
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3587 on: July 29, 2012, 01:17:22 am »

I like it, Mr Frog. Never too late. Now, to deal with the contrivance, you forget Rose's trump: her shadow creature. (his name is halen. Which is where Xahnel comes from. Halen plus x) He seeks to protect her as best as he can, which isn't much in the ballpoint universe. She starts snooping, gets caught, and her memory replaced. Cause Ballpoint can totally do that. Halen can't stop this, but he can get her to a safe point: spearbreakers, which has (he thinks) a way back home. He screws with the gateway device, changing the coords, and they end up in the same 'verse as dorf!Frog.

EDIT: In case you are wondering, i've role played with Rose and Halen for years, which may be why I write them so well. When Halen becomes active, i'll be using a narrative style, rather than Rose's journal.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 01:25:06 am by Xahnel »

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3588 on: July 29, 2012, 01:22:22 am »

He's the guy that choked dorf!Frog in the last chapter of the Urist saga. Also, the one Urist choked earlier on. The one you didn't like the exposition of. :) Crazy McWorldEnder.
The one I never explained why he was doing what he was doing, what he was doing, or even why he was there. It really irked me that that plotpoint was just... Hanging, unanswered. So, I'm going to explain part of it, so he's not just some crazy fucker with access to powerful chemicals. :)
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3589 on: July 29, 2012, 01:30:17 am »

Mmmm... I still haven't read through everything, so I'm not sure exactly what Halen is. Is he an actual person whose identity is undisclosed, or is he some type of familiar/fairy godthingy that follows Rose around and makes sure everything goes her way? Because I may have to bite you slightly if it's the latter.

Memory loss isn't really necessary, depending on the contents of her journal; she could have simply not mentioned her true intentions. I really don't like how Halen's apparently-intentionally sending his/her amnesia'd friend to Spearbreakers, when literally anywhere else would be an option (wormholes are pretty versatile); I'm not sure how crazy one would have to be to consider Spearbreakers "safe".

It is technically possible to go back and edit out anything that would contradict her being not of this world, if that's an issue. Probably wouldn't even need to be that major; just a quick pass-over to weed out contradictions.

@Hansie:

Thought so :)
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3590 on: July 29, 2012, 01:53:55 am »

You aren't supposed to be sure what halen is by reading, unless you google him. ;P
Halen, in his original context, is a Neoshadow, an advanced Heartless. See Kingdom Hearts 2 for details. In this context, he is something along the lines of a FB, only very weak. He hides in Rose's shadow, doesn't have much physical presence, and mostly does recon for Rose. He is reliant on her to live, because he can't live in an unwilling host. They have a mental link, which is stronger for Rose than it is for Halen. Not much in the brain's category, Halen. He can influence her thoughts slightly, and can help her with simple tasks, like making the floor frictionless so she can drag things, grabbing ankles to trip people, and performing physical tasks that don't require much strength, like pressing computer keys. His most important ability is stealth. So, no, he's not godmode. Not til the RNG allows for it. (starts with an m and ends with trance.) He wouldn't be able to fight ballpoint directly when they catch rose, but he knows where frog went, because rose made sure he would remember. She does that with important, but simple, facts. So, say she found out the where and when, and was looking for the why, when she got clubbed with a forget-me-stick, and tossed in a wormhole. All halen could do was make sure the place they were sent was someplace they could come back from.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3591 on: July 29, 2012, 02:13:42 am »

...I'm not sure how I feel about all that. I'm making an effort not to jump down your throat after I made you snap earlier, and you're right about Halen not really being a raging haxbeast like most fairy godthingies (I'm sorry, but he does fall into that category), but many parts about that strike me as extremely-silly, particularly how no being of that sort has ever appeared in over a novel's worth of fiction -- one would think that we'd have seen other people with similar bonds to Heartless, especially as it seems like an extremely-useful thing to have (for the sake of argument, I'm ignoring the fact that I'm pretty sure Heartless are never ever that docile).

It's not worth me getting vicious with you like I did earlier, but I do respectfully request that this incarnation of Rose be Halen-less.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 02:15:38 am by Mr Frog »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3592 on: July 29, 2012, 03:18:20 am »

She could just be, you know, crazy. not in a nonfunctional way but still. I think it'd fall under a form of Schtzophrenia.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3593 on: July 29, 2012, 06:24:40 am »

@Hanslanda: Excellent update. :) I hadn't really thought about it before, but you're right - transdimensional travel could possibly cost a lot in the scheme of things... if you assume that you'd travel through dimensions in the same way you travel through XYZ space, it wouldn't be much, but if you assume the difficulty increases exponentially depending on which dimension you're headed to, that makes things a lot more difficult...

I'm guessing the only reliable method to get that kind of power would be direct matter-to-energy conversion. Even a mug has incredible energy potential, if you think about it using Einstein's E=mc2. Dropping a mug into one end of the machine to convert it to energy would produce enough power to... well, let's see (doing the math as I go along).
A paperclip converted into energy releases (as far as I know) 170 terajoules of energy... Paperclips weigh about one gram, and mugs probably weigh around 350 or so on average, if the internets can be trusted. This would be around 60000 terajoules of energy, which is 1050 times as powerful as the Hiroshima bomb. You could breach HFS with a blast that large. I'd say that's probably more than sufficient to send you to another dimension if you possess the technology for it.

This is Spearbreakers, where all your base are belong to us. Because atomic mugs.

Xahnel: I'm not sure I'm all for the Halen thing... Largely because I'm not a Kingdom Hearts fan and really don't have much of an idea what it is besides the fact that it (possibly?) combines Final Fantasy (?) and Disney (?), neither of which I really follow. Thus, I've never even heard of a Heartless and wouldn't know how to write about it, and it's likely(?) a lot of other people wouldn't, either... However, if you want to say Rose believes she has something in her shadow, that's totally fine by me. I did make Talvi believe she was a cavy, after all... and later made it so she actually was part cavy. Mr Frog's fault.
Actually, if you could come up with a way to explain it that makes sense in the DF universe (some kind of unknown, invisible monster), that'd work...

EDIT:
@Illasram: Nice bit of philosophical thinking there... I actually never thought about that age old question - which came first, the iron or the pick? :P In the real world you would've had to find some loose ore, or smash it off with something, but in Dwarf Fortress, it shouldn't be possible.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 07:02:47 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3594 on: July 29, 2012, 06:54:15 am »

You aren't supposed to be sure what halen is by reading, unless you google him. ;P
Halen, in his original context, is a Neoshadow, an advanced Heartless. See Kingdom Hearts 2 for details. In this context, he is something along the lines of a FB, only very weak. He hides in Rose's shadow, doesn't have much physical presence, and mostly does recon for Rose. He is reliant on her to live, because he can't live in an unwilling host. They have a mental link, which is stronger for Rose than it is for Halen. Not much in the brain's category, Halen. He can influence her thoughts slightly, and can help her with simple tasks, like making the floor frictionless so she can drag things, grabbing ankles to trip people, and performing physical tasks that don't require much strength, like pressing computer keys. His most important ability is stealth. So, no, he's not godmode. Not til the RNG allows for it. (starts with an m and ends with trance.) He wouldn't be able to fight ballpoint directly when they catch rose, but he knows where frog went, because rose made sure he would remember. She does that with important, but simple, facts. So, say she found out the where and when, and was looking for the why, when she got clubbed with a forget-me-stick, and tossed in a wormhole. All halen could do was make sure the place they were sent was someplace they could come back from.

I remember these. (I have 358/2 Days as my lone KH game.)

Neoshadows are capable of stealth. They can disappear and appear again. They have sharp claws and are able to cause a shockwave that causes damage if they come out of a shadow in a particular way.

And Halen. Ah, so you're Halen's Nobody. Xahnel - X = Ahnel. Rearrange that and you get Halen.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3595 on: July 29, 2012, 08:05:02 am »

Mr Frog, I respect you, but a Halen free Rose is just about the one thing you coulda asked for that won't happen. He is not a Heartless here, he's basically a symbiotic creature that cannot survive alone unless he hides in a cave and never goes anywhere, and in fact that's where rose found him. I mean, in a game with creatures made out of fire, barf, and fog, you want Rose to not have a creature that has been her partner since her character was created. I understand why, as the potential for abuse is major, but I've been a writer and role player for eight years, and I know how to never tap the abuse potential.

I would also like to point out he really and truly is about as smart as a dumb monkey. He relies heavily on Rose to do his thinking for him. If you guys want me to, I'll write up Rose's meeting with Halen.

Finally, i have a damn fine explanation for why original!Halen is tame. I'll link the profile when i get to the library tomorrow.

EDIT: All i ask is you guys trust me a little. I'm a profesional. In this world of interdimesional companies, cavy girls, Frog replicas, zap branigan, spawn of a demon goddess, blood rain, and quantum beer in quantum mugs, all i want is a chance.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 08:11:57 am by Xahnel »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3596 on: July 29, 2012, 08:11:17 am »

Since we have eldritch infectious abominations and zombies, I think counting Halen as some kind of wierd Forgotten Beast would fit. Afterall, there's a whole mess of demons and creatures composed of week or illogical materials.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3597 on: July 29, 2012, 08:19:02 am »

Also:
Xahnel pokes a vomit colosus.
The vomit colosu explodes into ludicrous gibs!
The world is showerd in vomit!
Xahnel becomes nauseus.
The vomit colosus has been struck down!

Vomit colosus, great name for a band.

Thanks Splint.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3598 on: July 29, 2012, 08:39:58 am »

Actually that does sound like a good band name. Glad I'm not the musicy type myself.

And thanks for what?

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3599 on: July 29, 2012, 09:28:21 am »

Back on for just a sec to check Hanslanda's "Debriefing" post.

@ Xahnel: Disney in Dwarf Fortress I'm kind of against, but symbiotic creature composed of shadows I think I can do... Sounds Dwarf-Fortressy enough:
"The symbiotic creature Halen has come! It is composed of shadow and appears to be relatively small! Beware its slipperiness! Soon you shall know why you fear the day!" (I think I mixed up a few templates there)

Sure. If that's how you're going to do it, I'm for it. I kind of misunderstood what you were saying.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 815