Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178372 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs.
« Reply #360 on: March 07, 2012, 09:10:13 pm »

Draignean, if you're reading this (and haven't already fled in disgust/horror), how are you doing on the fortress?

Let's see... First of all, my DF eyes are weak. :( I've been relying on graphics packs for far too long.

Now, to the actual business of the fortress.

1. Why in Armok's sanguine name is good, farm quality land being used for workshops? These must be relocated.
2. Farming is rather weak at the moment, will have to be bulked up.
3. Gypsum in the finished areas is intolerable, this must be moved.
4. WHY THE HELL ARE THE ANIMALS RUNNING AROUND? All puppy's will be caged until they are old enough to train. All war dogs will be assigned to squadrons. All the bloody Emu's will be pastured or otherwise dealt with.
5. We're running dangerously short on mugs.

Actual achievements to date,
1. Removed troublesome spawn from ledge. Failed to kill it, but it is now in a position to be weaponized.
2. Minor re-org prior to the massive staff changes pending.
3. Managed not to kill us all.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 08, 2012, 12:44:43 am »

@Draig

1+2. I wasn't really concerned about farming -- the dead caravans left us with well over 500 units of booze :p
3. No pertinent comments here, but I read that entire line in the voice of Sean Connery for some reason.
4. Do what you will with the dogs (hint: Ashsaber likes liver), but for the love of all that is easily-munched by Spawn, leave the emu which is tied in the box above the entrance there :p
5. (deep breath) AAAAAUUUUUUUUGH!!!

1. How!? :o BTW, If anybody got bit... well, you know where the quarantine cells are :p
3. PIX OR DIDN'T HAPPEN
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 08, 2012, 12:49:21 am »

3. PIX OR DIDN'T HAPPEN

for once, i actually deem that phrase as necessary.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 08, 2012, 01:01:05 am »

1. How!? :o BTW, If anybody got bit... well, you know where the quarantine cells are :p

I dug through the wall immediately behind it, save for the last tile, then stationed our entire military force in the little tunnel. After that it was a simple thing to get some foolish miner to tear down the last stretch of wall and let the battle commence. The attack knocked the spawn backwards, throwing it off the ledge and into the drawbridge ditch.

The only casualty was the left front paw of a war dog, the paw was clawed off rather than bitten off. The spawn has now, unfortunately (I had hoped to trap it), wandered off the edge of the map.

New developments.

Two dwarves have been KIA, but the fort is now open for business again.

3. PIX OR DIDN'T HAPPEN

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 08, 2012, 01:23:23 am »

The Giant Emu are war animals, but in my expierence you may need to cancel and then reassign the train duty to get them to actually start training in a timely fashion. Regular sized emu are intended for egg production, as are the hordes of chickens. And if we're running low on mugs.... MAKE MOAR.

Did Dwarf!Draignean just kill a bunch of goblins solo? Or did he just reach them first?

Thread derailment is due to updates being few and far between (But oh so satisfying when they do occur.) And as I have no problem with it since Talvieno's been kind enough to index the main posts, I wouldn't think our entertaining ourselves and trying to mentally scar you all for life isn't an issue.

Besides, it seems like maybe four of us are contributing other stuff, so come guys, feel free to throw in random entries and whatnot.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 08, 2012, 01:28:35 am »

@Draig:
Oh noes! Who died? Meh, guess we'll find out shortly enough :p

Don't worry, the Spawn syndrome only affects dwarves. Anything other than a vanilla dwarf will be unaffected :p

It's kind of weird to see the stuff I built displayed in the standard curses font :o

Would you hate me if I told you that I was planning on packing my tileset in with the save as a present after Mitch said he liked it, but forgot to do so? :p

@Splint:
Well, we should probably try to keep the side conversations pertinent to the fortress and events therein :p the stuff with the manamaids was particularly ridiculous, considering that they're basically just an inside joke :p

:p :p :p
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 08, 2012, 01:33:17 am »

Aww come on, nothing wrong with causing the future overseers to not give two fucks about thier lives or those around them after that hideous mess.

Ashsaber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 08, 2012, 04:49:49 pm »

Liver and tongues, the proper breakfast of any self respecting spawn.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 08, 2012, 04:53:00 pm »

What a waste of a good giant emu though.

Those were meant as fighting animals (A nasty supplement to the dogs) not spawn feed D:

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 08, 2012, 05:49:56 pm »

contribute to thread...
heres one.

Journal of Bombzero, Miner and mug maker.

I think i heard muttering that we were low on mugs, obviously the overseer is incompetent, as mugs are very, very, very, very, very, VERY important to our economy.

on a less horrific note, a dog was nearly killed when the military risked their life to get that abomination away from our old front gate.

(yes, it sucks, but there i contributed. don't worry ill try harder for my writeup on my turn  :) )

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: March 08, 2012, 07:51:18 pm »

New progress...

1. EVERYONE has undergone a job/skill audit to increase efficiency.
2. A massive wood harvest run has been pulled off successfully thanks to troops picketed at regular intervals.
3. Farms have been somewhat expanded, pending the relocation of the primary workshops.
4. Excavation of the new workshop level is coming along nicely.
5. 29 pieces of Adamantium have been mined.
---

SolPyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 08, 2012, 09:11:19 pm »

Well, its nowhere near finished but since I feel like ive been quiet for too long and not much is happening on the thread here's what im working on. That's Mr Frog on the left.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(DONT put this in story art)
Quote from: Neil Gaiman
George R.R. Martin is not your b****.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 08, 2012, 09:29:35 pm »

@Draignean:
4. Is this building off the jeweler's/clothier's area I built? Or do we now have 3 different work areas? :p
5. I swear to green tea ice cream, if you release the clowns I will send my imaginary ninja slugs after you. After which we'll savescum.

@bombzero:
For some reason, I imagined Bombzero's journal to read something like this:

Journal of Bombzero
20 Obsidian 202

I'm out of corpses. i wish we still had some. i like corpses, they're fun to take apart and you get meat after you're done. some days i want to sit at the butcher's shop and cut things up all day long. I like peeling the skin off, it reminds me of when mama gave me that pretty box on the solstice and when I took its clothes off there was another box inside. i get the tingling in my insides whenever i slice through the tough things tying the soft stuff to the bones. it feels so nice. Sometimes when the corpse is really ripe i can poke its tummy with my pickaxe and the guts shoot out and it's like they're streamers and i'm at a birthday party, also sometimes there's little white crawlies and it makes me so happy that they're having fun too and we're all having a corpse party together.

the white crawlies and me are best friends. I like to show them the mugs i made so they can see that I'm working hard. they get very sad when i'm not working so i make sure i'm always doing something. sometimes I get tired, but i try not to sleep because i don't want them to be sad.

I think i'm gonna ask Mr Frog to make some more corpses so that the crawlies won't get upset. i guess I could take something apart while it's alive but it's hard to make them stay still.

I wonder if you can make mugs out of corpses? i'm sure that would make the crawlies very happy.

@SolPyre:
Maybe try toning Mr Frog's grin down; he looks like he's going to eat me :p Although, he is tweaking out on an untold amount of psychoactive substances, so I guess it's to be expected. Actually, I think his expression is pretty fitting considering what he's doing,

You're doing a pretty good job, in any case. I'm guessing you took my recommendation of GIMP? If so, I think you should try fiddling with the opacity of the brush when drawing details. I like the bold outlines, but for little details like facial lines and creases on clothing (good job on those, btw; I know how hard those are to do) even a 1-pixel-thick line can be a bit excessive.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 09:34:44 pm by Mr Frog »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: March 08, 2012, 11:50:48 pm »

Well, we're now into late spring. (Yes I've been moving that slowly.)

New events.
1. Population is up to 60 (GO GO Desperate Gambit!)
2. Bridge fiasco causes creation of alternate entrance.
3. Adamantine is now being smelted (What should we make first? Adamantine mugs, anyone?)
4. Magmaforges expanded
5. Stockpiles expanded
6. Farming expanded
7. Military bulked up somewhat
---

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 09, 2012, 12:19:09 am »

@ Mr Frog, hmm... sounds about right, ill have to wait till my turn to cross-reference my status screen with what other people have said about my character up till then.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 815