Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2199299 times)

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #3615 on: July 29, 2012, 01:04:29 pm »

Brooklyn rage!

So, the moment you open up to do something, the spawn invade.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3616 on: July 29, 2012, 01:12:57 pm »

I was expecting them or goblins to be honest. Ambushes prefer to cause trouble around caravan time. Some spawn came in through the wagon tunnel. They didn't do very well up against nearly all of 1st Squad (Fischer was assisting second squad at the time.)

I've also seen the effectivness of the axe on them, and do not approve. If there weren't already so many fucking axedorfs I'd have thier axes melted down. That's partially negating the challenge the spawn were supposed to pose. Seriosuly. No more axedwarves and any other chopping weapons shall be limited to three dwarves of that weapon in a single three dwarf squad. They're making this too easy. (the fucking pragmatist in me won't let me decommision them since they got danger roomed up to such high effectivness.)

EDIT: Don't care what you people say, I genned a new world for human survival testing in cold climates for the game I'm planning, and got a world named "The Continents of War" That is a fucking badass world by default right there.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: July 29, 2012, 01:27:27 pm »

I'll sprite up some cold weather gear for rose.

Replaying the original halo, and i am in the library. I just keep thinking to myself, "how hard would this be to build in minecraft? Never mind being swarmed on all sides by the Flood, I've got a shiny blue thing to look at!" now, if only i could make torches and glowstone give off a blue light... It's possible, i know that much.

EDIT: The reason they are so good is because of the danger room. They get strong in there, and they kick ass outside. Put the axedwarves on regular training (or no training, only gaining experience on the battle field) and they won't be as effective.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 02:28:54 pm by Xahnel »

Jack Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3618 on: July 29, 2012, 05:53:26 pm »

If I recall, my dorf was/is an axelord, right?

Due to my lack of experience with DF military at all, I'm unsure if this is possible - but if you can remove his axe and instead reassign him to any other squad with a different weapon, that's fine with me. Assuming he didn't already become attached to his axe or something. And also assuming he didn't get eaten by a spawn already >.>

That being said, I decided to switch my character in Skyrim over to a war axe. Haven't looked back since, beheading bandits amuses me too much. Plus, a war axe looks more badass than a mace, imo.

I suppose axedorfs being somewhat effective against spawn isn't too surprising - I'm assuming a spawn missing one or more limbs wouldn't be quite as dangerous (or at least, as mobile) as one with all of it's limbs attached. Although, considering the remark about bisecting a spawn tells me that they're just way too damn strong...

I get the feeling that in "Spearbreakers II" or whatever you end up naming it (I think you guys said you'd be continuing with a new fort after this one, anyway), if the spawn are also in that one, they may be buffed up even more than they are now.

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3619 on: July 29, 2012, 06:50:12 pm »

im not going to be posting anything DORF!bukit wise for a few days.
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: July 29, 2012, 07:26:18 pm »

Seconding Xahnel's idea... Turn it into a watchtower if possible. Killing enemies from within a giant "eff you" sign seems... awesome.

@Jack Magnus: You can force dwarves to carry certain weapons, yes, so long as he's not attached.

I lost my skyrim character (Vanya, lol) when my hard drive crashed, but she actually went from maces to axes too. She was a battle-oriented mage - cast with one hand, strike with the other. Axes definitely look more badass.

Contrary to what you'd think, Spawn are almost just as mobile even when missing all their limbs. We theorize they're coiling themselves and springing forwards using the gaping mouths in their chests, kind of in the same way as uberpowered windup-teeth. :P Scary, I know, but yeah.

I hope there's a Spearbreakers II, but that may be a while off. And I'd definitely vote for their being more buffed up. Also, manamaids.

@bukit: sorry to hear that, hope everything's all right. :)
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: July 29, 2012, 07:32:49 pm »

yeah, its just that im writhing something else and don't have time for a post.
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: July 29, 2012, 07:52:02 pm »

@Talvieno: that's a far better idea than mine. I second Tavlieno's idea.

Jack Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: July 29, 2012, 07:55:43 pm »

@Talvieno: Either the Spawn do that, or they scuttle along the floor like a macabre centipede, using their teeth as legs. Either way works :p

I personally only have the 360 version of Skyrim, so I hopefully won't be losing my save file anytime soon. Unfortunately, due to that and the fact I have dialup, I can't get patches, which kinda sucks, but it's tolerable as is.

I've never been able to really get into magic that much, beyond occasionally healing... the most I tended to do was lay traps with the rune spells and use throw voice to lure things onto them, which amused me greatly. Maybe I'll be able to do more with it this time.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: July 29, 2012, 08:13:44 pm »

Real pros skill up Heavy Armor, Single Handed- Axe, Block, Enchanting, and Smithing, like me. :P My character is pretty much functionally invulnerable due to skill with his armor and shield, and how buff he enchanted/smithed his armor/shield to be. Note to self, get new 360.

Another update within the next few days, I am sensing. :D
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3625 on: July 29, 2012, 08:25:46 pm »

heres a question:
how much power might be produced in a fusion reactor, like ones used in space?
how many of those might be in a city-sized spacestation?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: July 29, 2012, 08:27:49 pm »

A single fusion reactor can run a minor city, so, to run a space city, four or five.

EDIT: As for balance in games, I run blitz turtling. I'll take as long as i need to build up ro the point where i can near instant win. Disadvantage, people who agressively blitz can beat me if i don't have a way of gathering my power. Take Dungeon Keeper. I will lock everyone up tight and take an hour getting all of my creatures as maxed as possible, making sure to balance my team for the job at hand.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 08:34:30 pm by Xahnel »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3627 on: July 29, 2012, 08:29:45 pm »

ok, howbout a mobile spaceborn city with about a million people liviong on it fulltime and another few thousand popingup reguraly? note that has to power spacecraft while they are docked.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3628 on: July 29, 2012, 08:40:45 pm »

A nuclear powered aircraft carrier carries ten thousand people and uses a single small nuclear reactor. To power a very large spacestation, you might need two big ones depending on what kind of tech level we're talking about. Seeing as how nobody has space ships, we can only guess and do math as to what kind of reactors would be needed.

Also, a single land-based nuclear facility can power half a state, which is significantly more than just a million. Just for note. :)
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: July 29, 2012, 08:44:55 pm »

Depends on the power setup. If sections of the city shut down during certain time periods (commercial district, say) then you need fewer generators. The real question is the batteries. If you don't run the whole city the whole time, then extra power should be stored. A good battery supply will further reduce the need. Five should be plenty, with a backup in case a main breaks down.

To supply ships with power (which a space station shouldn't, unless the tech level is america 2012) you would require an extra one, generating power for batteries, which can then supply the ships. This extra one wouldn't need to be as big, or put out nearly as much power as the main ones, as there shouldn't be more than two or three ships docked at any single point in time.

@Hanslanda: i'm working the assumption that cargo shipping across the vastness of space is quite expensive, so hauling the big ones wouldn't be economical for the power needed.
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 815