Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2199252 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #3630 on: July 29, 2012, 08:48:29 pm »

whole thing is going all the time, limated batterys, people are in space, but its limated, think fusion powered ships with a bit of advanced AI, statis, and lasers being limated to dealing with asteroids.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3631 on: July 29, 2012, 08:57:18 pm »

If the whole station is going all the time, the little ones are preferable. That way, things still work if you lose one. Check the last page, i posted at the bottom while you were writing, i think.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3632 on: July 29, 2012, 09:05:59 pm »

i saw, i just wanted to elaborate.
anyways, the ancer is equal to the quanaty of power produced by a vacume generator, sole owner is Stone INC, and is equal to the amount  of power used by a Stone INC wormhole enlarger. baisacly, a device that makes wormholes larg enough for a spaceship or a spacestation to travel thru. howerver this device screwes with steel plate hules so all Stone INC ships are made of ceramics. the low quality of spelling is due to lack of google crome and the fact thet I CANT SPELL WORTH BEENS!
Highly Opinionated Fool

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3633 on: July 29, 2012, 09:11:10 pm »

Sorry to go all science police on you, but true controlled nuclear fusion hasn't even been achieved yet... Right now we only have nuclear fission, which is quite a bit weaker than fusion is supposed to be. The only fusion devices we've ever created are hydrogen bombs, and after 60 years of design improvements developed from previous experiments, scientists are still in the process of producing enough energy to ignite the reaction.

Basically, you've got to have a huge atomic fireball just to jumpstart the process. Fusion isn't a likely candidate for powering ships anytime in the near future.

I'd go with smaller fusion reactors, and as Xahnel said, multiple. But I can't imagine how a few small reactors couldn't power a space station. A single spaceship should only take one or two.

Also, lasers aren't a good weapon against asteroids... Most lasers can't even cut wood, and those that can cut through metal (like asteroids) at a decent speed take ridiculously insane amounts of power to operate... I'd go with missiles, or avoiding asteroids altogether - and this is easily done. Contrary to what movies would have you believe (Star Wars comes to mind), asteroid belts are incredibly thin. Actually, if one was sighted on a trip through the Solar System's belt, it would bring all the passengers flocking to the windows, taking pictures. Space is huge, and asteroids are few and far between. Remember, you're stretching the mass of a single planet all the way around the sun in a huge torus. Here's a pic for clarification:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Imagine Earth's mass in that pic split up and stretched all the way around the sun. Then look at it again and realize that the pic isn't even close to scale. In reality, the Earth ought to be a little speck in that picture, smaller than they have the moon drawn. Really, you'd be lucky if you ever saw an asteroid by accident.

science and astronomy is kind of my thing. :P sorry.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 09:18:12 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3634 on: July 29, 2012, 09:14:09 pm »

mining. also, i never said near future did i? i meant about 100 year in the futuer or so. NO CROME! WHYYYYY?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: July 29, 2012, 09:16:43 pm »

I consider 100 years to be the near future... And if you want, I could spell check your posts for you, but you'd have to allow six to eight weeks for shipping and handling. :P No, really, it'd get annoying for you after just a few posts.

edit: 500 years might do it, though.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 09:19:28 pm by Talvieno »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3636 on: July 29, 2012, 09:20:55 pm »

i got chrome now. computer dident have it.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3637 on: July 29, 2012, 09:24:52 pm »

Use word to write your posts if spelling is a concern. Talvieno is quite correct on both the lazor and SPACEROCKS points. Lasers used to cut through things require redonculus amounts of power. And asteroids are quite rare, even in belts. The Oort cloud, on the other hand, is more densely populated, so is good for mining. However, you want to be careful mining with lasers, as they generate heat in the near absolute zero environment of space, and that could fracture asteroids, which aren't that well built. The stone isn't very heavy on most, since they are mostly condensed over eons from clouds of dust.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3638 on: July 29, 2012, 09:28:02 pm »

nonononononono, the lazer is for ANY random crap heading for the ship, the space city thing mines them, i guess they land people to do it. the reason i asked is because i was trying to figureout the amount of power a vacume generator so i can have a idea. i mean in respect to mugs being whatever you people said.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: July 29, 2012, 09:37:21 pm »

Oh, okay, point defense. You would want ballistic based turrets, or plasma based (think the weapons the covenant use) weaponry, if you are going for realisticish.

EDIT: I forgot missiles.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 09:42:49 pm by Xahnel »

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3640 on: July 29, 2012, 09:41:53 pm »

nonononononono, the lazer is for ANY random crap heading for the ship, the space city thing mines them, i guess they land people to do it.
Lasers cut, they don't deflect or destroy. A split asteroid would still be headed straight towards the ship, if you managed to cut it before it hit. :P Landing people on the asteroids is feasible, though. Shouldn't be too hard to do, most asteroids don't spin very quickly.

Atomic mugs? :D Atomic mugs could definitely power a space city of ANY size, provided you could get all the energy out of them. No idea how to go about doing that, though.

And defense, yes, turrets or plasma. Something to push the crazy things away, not split or break them. If you break them, you've got a thousand pieces of debris headed towards the ship instead of just one. :P A lot harder to dodge... it's like saying, "hey, don't shoot that slow-moving cannon at me, take this megashotgun instead!"

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3641 on: July 29, 2012, 09:52:25 pm »

"hey, don't shoot that slow-moving cannon at me, take this megashotgun instead!"

This is totally going in the out of context quote thread.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3642 on: July 29, 2012, 09:55:04 pm »

We have one of those? O.o

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3643 on: July 29, 2012, 09:58:02 pm »

i was just trying to find out power quanitys....

ANNNNNND i have to go, bye!
Highly Opinionated Fool

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3644 on: July 29, 2012, 10:03:54 pm »

We have one of those? O.o

It is in general discussion.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 815