Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178301 times)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #3645 on: July 29, 2012, 10:57:15 pm »

@Xahnel:

I'm currently trying to think of ways to fit Halen in, if that's all right with you. He probably won't strictly be a Heartless, but he'll at least be a Thing, and I guess that if the relationship between Rose and Halen is as important to you as it seems, then Halen should at least be a Thing.

Since it does seem like you've been using the two a lot in your roleplays (someone Googled it for me), I would like to challenge you to try to write a different character. Maybe not in the same storyline as Rose, but I'd like you to try it. It's not really a problem if you don't; I'm just worried that you're restricting yourself somewhat by only focusing on the same two characters.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3646 on: July 29, 2012, 10:59:02 pm »

It isn't that hard. I'm currently writing- *Counts* Three. Plus I'm doing alternative viewpoints of another person's writing.

But it would be a very good exercise for your creative abilities regardless.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3647 on: July 29, 2012, 11:32:53 pm »

-laughs- limiting myself? I suppose it is a little hard to google me, as my name changes. No, i'm not limiting myself. I have multiple characters, and am a prolific writer of fanfic (that i don't publish). I choose Rose because she fits the world of dwarf fortress best. She's a normal person, not a wizard, or a psycho, or a fifteen year old who looks and acts twelve. I'll list my characters, and tell you why i didn't go with them.
Ari: a dark wizard in his mid thirties. Take away his power, and he's a pale book worm. Ill suited to a world in which he can't use magic.
Holly: a sweet innocent girl, who acts like a young child, just because she's so cheerful. She is a plant witch, and again, is ill suited to such a violent and magic free place.
Xaoc: an evil, violent, psychotic Disk One Final Boss who will slit your throat just to watch you gasp. She isalso equiped with powers that simply wouldn't survive the transition, and she would only cause trouble anyways. If she somehow kept her powers, she would be worse than the HFS.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3648 on: July 30, 2012, 12:06:52 am »

@Xahnel:

There's still the fact that you're using a bunch of predefined characters, although you do seem to be trying to make them fit the setting at least. If you're really not comfortable with writing someone new, then this really isn't the place for me to make you do so, but I'd still like you to try writing someone you've never ever written before ever. If not here, then elsewhere. (Unless you already do write other protagonists that aren't any of your usual chars and I horribly misinterpreted your post.)

Incidentally, I just finished typing up a brief summary of what I think this version of Halen is. Should I post it? The thing it's describing isn't so much a Heartless as a crazy sci-fi shadow beast that kind of looks like a Heartless, but I'm interested in seeing what you think of it.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3649 on: July 30, 2012, 12:18:39 am »

You might wanna check how i redefined halen before you do. I write my characters because they are my favorite people to write. Plus, it's hard coming up with new ones because i have a process.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3650 on: July 30, 2012, 12:22:33 am »

If you wouldn't mind, could you describe your process? You can PM it to me if you'd prefer not the post it publicly. I'm somewhat curious, as my characters don't generally have a process associated with coming up with them.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3651 on: July 30, 2012, 12:40:42 am »

I'll post a copy of the form.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 12:44:05 am by Xahnel »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3652 on: July 30, 2012, 12:44:02 am »

@Xahnel:

If you're referring to the one where you describe this Halen as being a symbiotic creature rather than a Heartless, then that's actually exactly what the thing I wrote up is describing; it just goes into more detail regarding how it works, which I think is a good thing.

@Hansie:

I'm not sure if it's what Xahnel's describing, but I do have a specific list of things I make sure to touch on when writing a character's profile. Backstory, ethics, beliefs, habits, physical/mental traits, in that order.

[Ninja'd] Oh, it is exactly what Xaxah's describing. Cool.

E: Xaxah can't PM, IIRC.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 12:47:14 am by Mr Frog »

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3653 on: July 30, 2012, 12:46:42 am »

Interesting. I'm saving that in word for future reference.
He's fucking with us.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3654 on: July 30, 2012, 12:49:01 am »

Go ahead and post it. I do ask that you read about rose and halen's original connection afterwards, cause i know you wanted to know how that worked. Google this exact search string:
Halen2020 Rose and Halen/Ari Karnes/Holly/Xaoc

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3655 on: July 30, 2012, 12:55:57 am »

It's a bit weird, honestly :V  I sort of wrote it like an SCP.

Incidentally, this does open up a third possibility for Rose's backstory, which is that she was abducted by Ballpoint and used as a live test subject, being deliberately-infected with a neoshadow for research purposes. After testing had concluded, Ballpoint wiped her memory and dumped her in a random backwater where she couldn't make trouble for them; her 'living shadow' would likely come off as schizophrenia to others, but someone who knew what a neoshadow was (i.e. Mr Frog) would likely realize its true nature immediately.

Draconik_Sankis

• Bay Watcher
  • Science is Progress, and Progress is !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3656 on: July 30, 2012, 01:09:50 am »

I just Relieased how Screwed awesome Everoc is, We have the Spawn, we have Temporal Distortation, Wormholes, More Megacorps than you can shake a star destroyer at, Bio-Mass [Ufo Aftermath style, though this one is set to eat dead organics] Necromancers, and Spearbreakers, which if it countiues on like this will be set for either Boatmurder-esk !!FUN!! or we will slowly but surely, screw up the time stream so bad that time itself folds in and seals us within a Dyson sphere of HFS.

Also Plans for tower Majority of it sould be Copper but a few levels should have a Iron Walkway lined with Fortifications sort of like having a Iron Bracer around the Copper FTW Arm.

*that and then i can set up a giant electromagnet to call down asteroids and we can harvest the metorites.*

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3657 on: July 30, 2012, 01:11:56 am »

I like it, but as for ballpoint infecting her with Halen, i don't think i like that specific idea. Halen is supposed to have been with her for a while, thus the bond between them. Also, i would have to say that normal light doesn't affect them, only focused light, and ironically, total darkness. If it is totally dark, they cannot remain cohesive. They need light to define them, but powerful light, like lasers or spotlights, anything focused beyond the level of regular sunlight, will hurt them.
That's my only complaint with your report. Everything else is top notch.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 01:17:27 am by Xahnel »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3658 on: July 30, 2012, 01:14:59 am »

Splint Approves.

Nothing wrong with doing something SCP style if it will work for the subject matter without being jerky.

EDIT: Double ninja'd you bastards!

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3659 on: July 30, 2012, 01:54:29 am »

What is SCP?
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 815