Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2192461 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #3660 on: July 30, 2012, 01:56:11 am »

Look it up.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3661 on: July 30, 2012, 01:59:40 am »

Just cause i can use enter now doesn't make the internet less frustrating and slow on my cell phone.
EDIT: Aw hell naw, you ain't sending me on some wild goose chase through an unknown wiki to find out what three letters stand for.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 02:09:41 am by Xahnel »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3662 on: July 30, 2012, 02:09:26 am »

I say look it up as I'm trying to keep the unrelated stuff to a minimum. Since the Rose's shadow thing relates to a character within the fort, I've decided to tolerate it. they can be good reads though if done right.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #3663 on: July 30, 2012, 02:13:10 am »

@Xahnel:

Even if it wasn't truly from childhood, to Rose, it'd be basically the same; she'd have had Halen attached to her literally as far back as she could clearly remember. Additionally, when she was first dumped into Everoc, helpless and amnesiac, Halen would probably have been the only remotely-pleasant thing she had -- he'd at least have been trying to protect her. That would mean the world to someone in her position, and the fact that she'd have had absolutely no other memories except for her being helpless and confused and Halen making sure she's safe would mean Halen's aid would leave an even stronger impression.

I guess I could work in that being exposed to no light whatsoever causes them to disintegrate just as being exposed to too much light would. It seems a bit arbitrary, but then again who am I to say how amorphous energy-eating shadow blobs should function :V

I'd rather their vulnerability to light be something that actually would occur naturally, but I'll compromise -- how about focused light pretty much kills them instantly, normal daytime light levels hurt them a bit but aren't really dangerous unless they sit around in it (extending a claw into the light to rake at someone who tries to attack Rose probably wouldn't cost him much at all), and dim light such as peoples' shadows is completely-harmless? (If you're worried that Halen will be crippled, don't -- unless he stays in the light for way too long, he should be able to regenerate easily by borrowing a bit more of Rose's energy than usual.)
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3664 on: July 30, 2012, 02:19:15 am »

Idea for a compromise: rose became halen's host as a child, which would give them time to bond, but still allows ballpoint to be kidnapping jerkasses. Mr Frog would recognize what Halen was, and eventually story happens (staying vague to leave open all possibilities). Honestly, megaevilcorporation doesn't seem like they would care about stealing a child...

Maybe Mr Frog helped/tried to hinder this specific experiment.

As for the light, that's fine. Regular light doesn't bug too bad, dimness is best, darkness diffuses, brighter light burns.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 02:22:09 am by Xahnel »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3665 on: July 30, 2012, 02:24:46 am »

@Xahnel:

>_<; I was actually going to suggest that exact thing had you rejected my explanation. So, yes.

Mr Frog was in charge of biotech, so it's actually extremely-likely that he'd have at least had a hand in Rose's experimentation. I doubt he'd recognize her, but Rose probably would be all kinds of pissed at him should her memory return.

E: Should probably work in some of the negative effects of Halen's presence, too. Like, she gets cold easily, and often feels fatigued (especially if Halen's been doing a lot of work -- he's drawing his energy from Rose, remember. Symbiosis works both ways).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 02:30:09 am by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Paintbrushturkey

• Bay Watcher
  • BWHAHAHAHA - No, we're perfectly same, aren't we?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3666 on: July 30, 2012, 02:26:20 am »

well i'm generally not in favor of wasting weapons grade material for anything but, well weapons, so GOLD please
Some People are like Slinkies. Not really good for much, but they still bring a smile to your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3667 on: July 30, 2012, 02:31:08 am »

I think he would recognize her. How many red haired girls could ballpoint possibly have given neoshadows to?

So, which will it be? Does Mr Frog object to direct experimentation on children? Or was he The Guy What Did It? Thats the question, i think. Just how stripped down are his morals?

EDIT: This is a girl who thinks up not drinking as a toughness challenge. She's not gonna write about being tired or cold unless it's extreme. She won't complain, she'd think that would be weak of her.

EDIT 2: I just got an image of child!Rose beating the snot out of at least one scientist and two security teams through streategic placement of charlie horses, toe stomps, crotch punches, and forehead-to-the-nose attacks.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 02:47:47 am by Xahnel »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3668 on: July 30, 2012, 02:49:12 am »

Up until recently, Mr Frog pretty much cared only about the science. He's not really an evil man per se, but he only recently began examining the ethical implications of his experiments, and he wasn't sure he liked what he saw.

So, to answer your question: Yes, then!Mr Frog probably would have snatched a hundred babies For Science!! without a second thought, even though now!Mr Frog probably wouldn't.

I doubt Frog would actually remember what any of his subjects looked like (he's likely gone through hundreds throughout his various experiments), but the presence of a neoshadow so far outside its normal habitat combined with the fact that Rose would be in the right age group for having been a test subject would certainly trigger suspicions.

E: I'm not sure how well neoshadows dissipating in complete darkness would work, actually... my original concept had neos phasing through their host's bodies in order to leech energy, but that wouldn't work too well if they dissipated in complete darkness, because (shocker!) the inside of an opaque object -- such as a human body -- is completely-dark. Do you think maybe their dissolves-in-darkness trait could be dropped? It doesn't seem super-critical...

E2: I don't care how awesome you think she is, a 6-year-old is not going to overpower multiple adults.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3669 on: July 30, 2012, 02:52:23 am »

I thought it was meant as in very dark places they become undetecable or nearly so.

soulslicerjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3670 on: July 30, 2012, 02:56:49 am »

Hope I'm not too late in delivering this warning, but Xahnel, whatever you do, DON'T look what SCP refers to.  Trust me, doing so WILL lead to having nightmares.  For weeks.  At minimum.  And by nightmares I mean stuff that will keep you up all night from just how HORRIBLE the things can be.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3671 on: July 30, 2012, 02:58:17 am »

I think that just being in contact with rose will allow halen to draw energy from her, no need to enter her body.

Mr Frog would have to remember rose if she was able to pull a temporary Took a Level in Badass on some Ballpoint employees, especially if he was watching, and subdued her himself, right? I'm just looking for an excuse for him to know he knows her.

>.>; now i wanna write little rose beating ballpoint people up.
"i was told there would be presents. I don't see any. CHARLIEHORSE!!" BAM, a scientist has been knocked on his face!

EDIT: Didn't say overpower. But seventy pounds of angry child stamping on toes will distract someone long enough for her to get in a few of the cheap shots children learn early on. And no one would be expecting her to fight back. Cry, struggle, scream, yes, but kicking a scientist in the kneecap? Headbutting a security agent who picks her up?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 03:04:54 am by Xahnel »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3672 on: July 30, 2012, 02:59:07 am »

I slept fine after reading some of them. Maybe I haven't read the right ones....

soulslicerjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3673 on: July 30, 2012, 03:05:51 am »

I slept fine after reading some of them. Maybe I haven't read the right ones....

Sure, some are fine, but try 217, 439, or where 835 shows just WHAT might be behind all those "[DATA EXPUNGED]".  Heck, just check up tvtropes nightmare fuel page on the damn thing.

Edit: 966 is also good at keeping you up from sheer paranoia
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 03:09:52 am by soulslicerjames »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3674 on: July 30, 2012, 03:08:43 am »

Xahnel, if you have a small child successfully do any sort of meaningful damage to a group of adults that are probably very very good at restraining small children, I will shun you. That is not how things work.

It is okay for Frog not to immediately recognize her, okay? He'd realize something was odd about her anyways, what with the funny shadow beast hiding inside her, and that's all that is needed for Shit To Go Down.

Also: I meant energy as in actual thermal energy, not a metaphysical concept. In order to bum thermal energy off of someone's metabolic processes, a neo would likely need to have a part of its body where the chemical reaction was taking place (i.e. inside them).

Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 815