Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2194056 times)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #3690 on: July 30, 2012, 01:24:24 pm »

@Xahnel:

One's a pre-existing background conceit that persists throughout the story, the other is logic temporarily being suspended so that a character can do something cool. I can justify one, but not the other. That is the difference.

@PBT:

I approve of this.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 01:26:45 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3691 on: July 30, 2012, 01:38:30 pm »

Yes, Mr Frog, i've already given up and stopped talking about it.
Anything you've thought up regarding the experiment itself? Such as why they dumped her in a different universe? How they would track her to check the progress? Why they chose the same universe for both her and the Spearbreakers experiment?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: July 30, 2012, 01:41:56 pm »

for that third one, clearly in case things go south. They won't need to bother with clean up as chances are, the spawn will destroy the subject and incidently anything else in the area.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: July 30, 2012, 01:44:20 pm »

Naw, why write that way unless you enjoyed doing so?

Because it is more entertaining that way. Half the fun in writing is wondering what other people were thinking when they read it. At least for me it is. :P
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3694 on: July 30, 2012, 01:47:32 pm »

@hans: that's what i was saying.
@splint: wouldn't make sense, as Rose was a child, and is now an adult. The kidnapping would have happened years ago, before the final phases of the HS2 experiment.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: July 30, 2012, 01:58:49 pm »

If observing long term effects on a subject it does make sense. If she's simply no longer useful, but her attachment to another expieriment may be a hinderence to the company, then they could have just dumped her where they'd be most apt to be destroyed, and her traveling to a hellscape of hypercompetant overseers with bad luck simply magnifies the likely hood the old test subject would be destroyed.

But I'm also in a sort of scatter brained state so alot of what I say right now is of dubious sense at best.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3696 on: July 30, 2012, 02:22:30 pm »

Spoiler: WALL OF TEXT INCOMING (click to show/hide)

E: The general point of the tests would have been to see if weaponization was viable; could one infect an operative or soldier with a neo so that the neo's abilities could be utilized?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 02:35:13 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: July 30, 2012, 02:34:29 pm »

Hmm... I like it, Mr Frog. And what would be dorf!Frog's involvment in the testing? How long would testing take? Did disposal of the children begin according to plan, or was it hurried and panicked because the authorities were closing in?

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: July 30, 2012, 02:42:18 pm »

Mr Frog probably wasn't involved with the abductions, but likely personally oversaw each and every test.

Testing was concluded in a few months, with each subject being held for testing for several weeks. Authorities were likely suspicious, but no links to Ballpoint were drawn.

Incidentally, they couldn't have mindwiped any of the neos, as it isn't even really clear how they even store or process data. I don't think they'd really be smart enough to understand what was going on or explain their mindwiped hosts' state to them, but Halen would definitely recognize Mr Frog as a Bad Thing.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3699 on: July 30, 2012, 02:48:29 pm »

Actually, halen would be unsure of whether Mr Frog is good or bad, as he would have to weigh "this is the guy who brought me and rose together" against "he made us do odd things in a little metal room".

You overestimate Halen's ability to think laterally.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3700 on: July 30, 2012, 02:50:56 pm »

I'd say oddly familiar looking fellow in a lab coat would be a bit of a red flag for him.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: July 30, 2012, 02:58:00 pm »

Again, halen isn't intelligent. He'll be curious, and attempt to get Rose to spend time around Mr Frog, so he can figure out "who is this guy and why does he feel familiar?"
Once Rose explains her being a guard to him in small words, he'll begin the glacial process of figuring out how to get her to volunteer to protect the fort's Designated Smart Guy.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: July 30, 2012, 02:59:26 pm »

Actually, halen would be unsure of whether Mr Frog is good or bad, as he would have to weigh "this is the guy who brought me and rose together" against "he made us do odd things in a little metal room".

You overestimate Halen's ability to think laterally.

Urp. Point conceded, marginal level of respect gained.

@Splint:

True, but I don't think Halen has that kind of critical thinking ability, and as X pointed out, he'd probably wouldn't really think of Frog as good or bad. He'd probably just me all "Eh? Halen see funny man before. Funny man give Halen Rose, watch Halen in big hard box with nasty lights. Funny man older now, suit dirtier." Maybe if he's smart enough to examine things critically and question them, he'd add: "Why funny man here? Funny man live in high-up room with nasty lights and funny words on funny screens."

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: July 30, 2012, 03:08:47 pm »

I only presented that  because it can be fatal to underestimate something that is considered stupid.

I've learned this the hard way many many times.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3704 on: July 30, 2012, 03:21:45 pm »

Judging halen's strength by his intelligence is a fatal mistake, yes, because it isn't his intellect you are contending with, it's Rose. And she understands Halen's strengths well enough to use them very effectively. Plus their connection allows him to instantly react to what she wants. On his own, he's lost and confused, but paired with Rose he's a deadly (and  self correcting) weapon.
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 815