Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2192372 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs.
« Reply #405 on: March 10, 2012, 12:25:58 pm »

If the troops train properly then danger rooms shouldn't be an issue. When I ran the fort after handing off the save, as alittle project, Fischer and Stova slaughtered the first goblin ambush that was dumb enough to show up with minimal help from a couple of novice marksdwarves (Meaning only four or five bolts. Stova killed whatever cages missed and Fischer killed a few snatchers.)

Really they need about a year and half to 2 of uninterrupted training. And no-one said anything about not using traps galore to afford our army that needed training. Just no magma traps.

Though I do wish we'd included the serrated disk guns.

And yeah, has everyone been redorf'd? I wanna know if I need to update the front post.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 10, 2012, 01:19:45 pm »

And yeah, has everyone been redorf'd? I wanna know if I need to update the front post.

Not as of now, but you can count it as done. I've just been putting it off, waiting until we had our first major incident before naming anyone. It seemed prudent then and it seems even more prudent in retrospect.

Now the only trouble I'm grappling with is whether to voice DorfDraig as Zapp Brannigan or a battle hardened vet...
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 10, 2012, 01:31:37 pm »

@Splint:
I don't have a scanner either :p

@Talvieno:
Good call on reorienting the passages -- though I think you meant parallel, as they're already perpendicular to the direction the arrows are firing :p A major flaw I noticed with the design was that since the passages were sideways, I was effectively forcing invaders to strafe to dodge the bolts (Dwarf Fortress: where the AI only acts intelligently when coerced). Orienting the passages the other way would fix that.

The whole point of the setup is really just to preserve metal for arrowheads. Having an infinitely-recyclable arsenal of candy-tipped glumprong bolts would be a massive boon.

@Draignean:
Dude. We are under siege by sadistic children of evil, mutated beartraps with legs, and now, apparently, immortal shepherds of the walking dead. I'd think danger rooms are pretty much implicitly required.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 10, 2012, 01:37:43 pm »

Well I don't have a decent enough camera to work with either so MYEH.

I wanted to avoid the danger rooms, so unless you can figure out a logical way to present them don't mention them in writeups if you use them.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: March 10, 2012, 01:43:54 pm »

@Splint:
I don't have a camera either :3

I'd imagine being locked in a room with a billion sharp things flying out at you from every direction would be a pretty accurate simulation of a Spawn attack.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 10, 2012, 03:40:11 pm »

@Splint:
I don't have a camera either :3

I'd imagine being locked in a room with a billion sharp things flying out at you from every direction would be a pretty accurate simulation of a Spawn attack.

Spawn teeth don't come from every direction, unless there's alot of'em. Or they get bashed out. Traditional training is slower, but it works., given my success with the fortress afterward. I even got me a minotaur pit, though Sus almost pickaxed it to death when I needed to recapture it to add some statue columns to the entrance. Really the only thing it likes seems to be thieves; Every goblin I tossed down that was a grunt got pummeled to death in pretty short order, providing they didn't run into Stova or Fischer first.

And I already miss the ledge spawn for some wierd reason. I guess I share that sentiment that we seem to have lost our mascot.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 10, 2012, 08:26:10 pm »

well, just use a cave-in trap to knock out an entire spawn attack, capture them in cages, and make a ledge with hundreds of spawn on it.

codyorr

• Bay Watcher
  • Alcohol is how I make DF more !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 10, 2012, 09:54:01 pm »

C'mon. Pictures, pictures, pictures. Anything DF will do.
A rotting horse corpse since 201. !!DRUNK FORTRESS!!

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 10, 2012, 10:34:09 pm »

Mr Frog:
Nope, I meant perpendicular. However, I meant line of ballistae instead of line of fire, my mistake. =P Thanks for pointing that out. But yeah, having passages arranged like that would allow you to layer ballistae to where you could have every single row covered, and that would be deadly against almost anything (except whales, as Sphalerite has shown).

Splint:
I kinda liked Mr Frog's idea of it being a semi-high-tech spawn attack simulator...   We could say Mr Frog designed it (with his supposed knowledge from the future). Spawn have claws, too, you know, not just teeth. They have one regular mouth, the chest mouth, and the claws... And they're frenzied, if I recall correctly. Close enough.

Maybe at some point we'll get another spawn trapped somewhere... They're pretty tough - the spawn on the ledge was there because the bridge raised and flung him (and the body of a dead dwarf) over there. If we build a moat that goes down to the magma sea, with a ledge or two 20 z-levels down, I'm sure a few will survive if we manage to fling some of them down there.

C'mon. Pictures, pictures, pictures. Anything DF will do.
Also, this. :P
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 02:43:07 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 11, 2012, 12:34:52 am »

@Talvieno:
I'm still not 100% sure what you mean by "passages"...

I think falling damage may have been tweaked/broken. That giant emu took a 2z fall and was completely unharmed -- no broken bones, no bruises, nothing.

@codyorr:
If you want pictures, draw them yourself :D Trust me, it's much faster that way.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: March 11, 2012, 03:59:49 am »

The Giant emu are obviously much much larger than their normal counter parts. I don't see why they couldn't hit the ground on thier feet and not be drastically affected. I mean I dropped a spawn from as high up as Arena could go and It only suffered popped out/off. Well maybe the spawn are a bad example but still. The Emu's sheer size and power  should be more than enough to let it shrug off a 1-2 z level fall, cause I've used those things to kill goblins. One even wound up with a goblin name after he killed three of them.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 11, 2012, 02:30:57 pm »

The Giant emu are obviously much much larger than their normal counter parts. I don't see why they couldn't hit the ground on thier feet and not be drastically affected. I mean I dropped a spawn from as high up as Arena could go and It only suffered popped out/off. Well maybe the spawn are a bad example but still. The Emu's sheer size and power  should be more than enough to let it shrug off a 1-2 z level fall, cause I've used those things to kill goblins. One even wound up with a goblin name after he killed three of them.

In the last version, any fall above 1z would at least cause injury ("The {BODYPART} takes the full force of the impact, {DESCRIPTION OF INJURY}!"). I think. However, I didn't see anything of that sort in the combat report.

I'm pretty sure a giant emu's vast size would actually work to its disadvantage -- its greater weight would cause it to hit the ground with more force. Square/Cube Law ftw? Although, I'm not sure how DF models falling damage.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: March 11, 2012, 03:03:37 pm »

2z falls don't seem to damage 100% of the time in this version. 3z is pretty common but possible to survive unscathed. 4z always seems to at least break something.
so yah i think toady messed with falling damage. at least from what i have seen.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 11, 2012, 05:11:23 pm »

I meant that as it was pitted in a semi-organized way, not dumped out a cage headfirst. I won't lie I'd expect a busted ankle or something but then again the fall may have been nothing to it regardless; It would have been a fairly short fall for what a dwarf would consider a possible crippling fall.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: March 12, 2012, 01:41:33 am »

I meant that as it was pitted in a semi-organized way, not dumped out a cage headfirst. I won't lie I'd expect a busted ankle or something but then again the fall may have been nothing to it regardless; It would have been a fairly short fall for what a dwarf would consider a possible crippling fall.

No, no, no. If you drop a 60kg dwarf and a 600kg giant emu from the same height, they will accelerate at the same rate and thus hit the ground at the same speed. Since force equals the mass of the object times the change of speed divided by the square of the time period in which the change of speed occurred, and both the deceleration and time period are roughly identical in both cases, the emu will impact with 10 times as much force even though its bones would only be 102/3 times as capable of withstanding said impact.

(Now, people who actually paid/pay attention in Physics -- because I honestly don't -- did I get any of that right?)

@Draignean:
I personally don't really care how long you take to update (I'm not really in a position to judge :p), but I'd prefer that you try to at least post something every day, even if it's something completely inane like "I couldn't work on it today because my cat threw up on my lucky Hawaiian shirt and I had to get it cleaned". It's easier to wait if we know how progress is going.

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 815