Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2192197 times)

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs.
« Reply #420 on: March 12, 2012, 01:48:26 am »

(Now, people who actually paid/pay attention in Physics -- because I honestly don't -- did I get any of that right?)

erm.... sorta, but thats assuming a giant emus bone strength is scaled exactly relative to size. which may or may not be true. also does not incorporate fat/skin/muscle thickness either.

also for shorter falls its unlikely a object will reach a high enough velocity to create a comparable difference, however since Z-levels and most measurement in DF are relative/abstract, we have nothing to really go on.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: March 12, 2012, 02:27:27 am »

No, no, no. If you drop a 60kg dwarf and a 600kg giant emu from the same height, they will accelerate at the same rate and thus hit the ground at the same speed. Since force equals the mass of the object times the change of speed divided by the square of the time period in which the change of speed occurred, and both the deceleration and time period are roughly identical in both cases, the emu will impact with 10 times as much force even though its bones would only be 102/3 times as capable of withstanding said impact.

Got most of it right. I'm doing the 'Asian 5' classes for year 12.
And I'm not sure but I think emus are better for falls. They can break falls by flapping their dumb little wings, and they've got powerful ass legs. Also, the force is dissipated over a larger area then a dwarf.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: March 12, 2012, 03:14:01 am »

@Mitchewawa:
Oops. Nice catch. I knew that N = kg x m/s2, but (somehow) forgot that speed and change thereof was already m/s, so I squared the time instead (the equation as I was describing it would be N = kg x m/s3, which... isn't right :p). Herp de derp derp!

I'm not sure how the other factors you and bombzero mentioned would affect things, though, and I don't think there's any way to perform RL !!SCIENCE!! on the matter without getting the SPCA on my ass :-\

I never thought I'd say this, but if anybody wants to continue this delightful discussion about the physics of falling emus, could they please just PM me? This is now just barely teetering on the brink of becoming completely off-topic.

NEW TOPIC FOR DISCUSSION/SIDE STORIES:

The biology of the Spawn -- their anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, etc..
Be sure to take into account the fact that I accidentally deleted the [NOT_LIVING] tag, which means that, despite their various undead-like qualities, the Spawn are, in fact, living organisms, at least going from the raws we're using.

EDIT:
The fail is strong with me atm X[
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 11:58:15 am by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: March 12, 2012, 05:42:25 am »

Yeah, Draig. I don't wanna hand off the save cause you procrastinated or didn't let us know something was going on.

And I was going to ask we stop the falling discussion more because it was making my brain hurt.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: March 12, 2012, 10:46:11 am »

Yeah, Draig. I don't wanna hand off the save cause you procrastinated or didn't let us know something was going on.

Erk, still working on it. I've got two RTDs running in the deeps and this is the last week in my college before spring break, so all my professors are attempting to smother the life out of me before that happens.

Working on it, learning that I need to take a LOT more pictures as things progress, but working on it.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

HARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: March 12, 2012, 12:29:18 pm »

its gettin kinda boring, when can we expect some journal?

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: March 12, 2012, 12:51:06 pm »

its gettin kinda boring, when can we expect some journal?

I'm guessing when Draignean becomes unburied enough from silly things like getting a proper education to be able to do important things like writing an in-character narrative describing the events within a computer game :p

@Draignean:
College comes first, obviously :p Just try to keep chipping away at it. If you absolutely have no spare time ATM due to your studies, I'm sure Splint will be happy to swap your and Sus's turns.

It might be best to post what you have of Spring now, though. If you're just too busy to go quickly, a steady trickle of shorter updates might be better than sporadically posting entire seasons. I'd hate for HARD to become bored :p
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: March 12, 2012, 01:01:34 pm »

Yep, I can imagine the scene well... The pikesdwarves of Spearbreakers sitting with their spears at the tables in the great (unfinished) dining hall, draining away precious gemmed adamantine mugs of less-precious booze, talking over the screams of their converted comrades about which would make a bigger splatter if dumped off the half-finished jury-rigged tower - a dwarf or a giant Emu.

I was kind of enjoying that discussion. :P But we're talking DF physics here, not RL physics... And there's only one real way to test that. We get a dwarf and an emu and drop them off a tall tower. I'll take bets on who splats bigger. :D

But no, really. I tried a little bit of Mr Frog's save... Out of curiosity, Mr Frog - why did you use flooring in the tunnel instead of roads? Floors take up quite a bit more resources and do the same thing (as far as I know) when placed on a flat surface. (oh, and I also got attacked by an invisible necromancer)

Draignean - updates, however small, would definitely be appreciated. We don't mind their size (again, as far as I know) - it's just nice to know what's going on. I can put as many links for you on the front page as you need (though I would probably suggest a limit of about one update per month or so, to keep it at 12 or below). I totally understand the college work, though.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: March 12, 2012, 01:12:07 pm »

Constructed floors are prettier :3

...Wait, am I correct in understanding that I had a necroninja already on my map when I handed off the save? O_o

...Ohhh, shit, are there any Spawn corpses in the drawbridge pit? That would be a nasty surprise :-\

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: March 12, 2012, 01:40:13 pm »

Constructed floors are prettier :3

...Wait, am I correct in understanding that I had a necroninja already on my map when I handed off the save? O_o

...Ohhh, shit, are there any Spawn corpses in the drawbridge pit? That would be a nasty surprise :-\

If they stay in the pit and that place goes unused then it isn't an issue.

@Draignean, take however long you need to take your turn now that we know what's goin' on. Perhaps someone can delight us with a pre-founding/migration story to pass the time? I can throw one together for the starting 7 when I get home.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: March 12, 2012, 03:20:07 pm »

Journal of Bombzero, Miner/Butcher extraordinaire, Date Unknown.

Heard whispers about some crazy person raising dead things outside... he better not take my corpses, the little crawlies would be unhappy, unhappy, unhappy, cant have that, no, no we cant...

if i see this man who calls himself a necromancer, i'll, i'll MURDER HIM IN THE FACE, NOBODY TOUCHES MY CORPSES!!!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 03:22:18 pm by bombzero »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: March 13, 2012, 08:31:39 pm »

So. i heard you lot like mugs.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: March 13, 2012, 08:45:06 pm »

I have literally less than a half a month left to write-up, sorry for the wait guys. If I had known it would be this bad I would have requested next year, but it should all work out.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: March 13, 2012, 09:10:09 pm »

I have literally less than a half a month left to write-up, sorry for the wait guys. If I had known it would be this bad I would have requested next year, but it should all work out.

All good. We know what's up so you're given what you need. Just keep us posted.

SolPyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: March 14, 2012, 12:48:24 am »

I wouldnt normaly do this but things are a bit slow on this thread so heres another work in progress pic.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Unfontunatly I dont think im ever going to do one this detailed again after this, its just to much work for one pic.
That's Mr Frog on the right and Solpyre dorf on the left.
Quote from: Neil Gaiman
George R.R. Martin is not your b****.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 815