Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2191524 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #4260 on: August 09, 2012, 11:57:43 pm »

Spearbreakers isn't dark, it's just not safe for sanity.
Being a loner is almost a requirement for a superhero (not a supervillian, may i say, because supervillians know heroes won't go after their freinds or family).
And superspeed isn't a power solely granted by dark powers. It is also granted by light powers, and even neuteal powers.

I have no idea what to say right now.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4261 on: August 10, 2012, 12:00:57 am »

A superhero usually doesn't go around threatening to beat her subordinates within an inch of thier lives and drills them till they nearly die, or take joy in watching people from thier own country get thier face squished to mush, as has been implied in several stories that mentioned her. And while sane dorfs like fighting, I think she likes fighting a little too much, even by dwarven standards.

Although whoever floated the fear of the pitch black dark of outside (Spearbreakers has torches everywhere) hilarious.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4262 on: August 10, 2012, 12:10:02 am »

A superhero usually doesn't go around threatening to beat her subordinates within an inch of thier lives and drills them till they nearly die, or take joy in watching people from thier own country get thier face squished to mush, as has been implied in several stories that mentioned her. And while sane dorfs like fighting, I think she likes fighting a little too much, even by dwarven standards.
You gotta make allowances, it's not an exact replica. She is a dwarf, after all, and she obviously wasn't raised by Ma and Pa Kent. But, considering the circumstances of her life, she makes a damn fine DF example of Superman, simply because she isn't our lex luthor.
I say Fischer is a good person who is doing the best she can under this fort's temporal circunstances. After all, wouldn't any of us be irritable in the same place?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4263 on: August 10, 2012, 12:14:59 am »

... I find myself agreeing with Splint. Fischer is kind of a bloodthirsty psycho, at least in my mind. That's how I wrote her, at least. Good for the fort, bad for individuals.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4264 on: August 10, 2012, 12:16:06 am »

@ Xahnel - Ok, you forget: This is Dwarf Fortress. This fort only took 5 years to turn into a glorified nuthouse. I can't remember the name of the fort but this clearly isn't a success story. She's at best a morally unhinged lunatic, even by dwarven standards, due to her claiming a minotaur head for a trophy in the narrative and getting down when Hans and Urist weren't executed. Hell her idea of a good time is probably killing things, no matter how mundane (She killed a deer for no good reason afterall.) her soldiers own people respect her, her enemies fear her.

And Armok is pleased with her.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4265 on: August 10, 2012, 12:22:48 am »

Meh, still say that the fort's heroes shouldn't be seen as dangerous lunatics... Mostly because EVERYONE DOES THE SAME THING. I have yet to see a fort where the characters weren't afraid of the military.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4266 on: August 10, 2012, 12:24:00 am »

In a medieval society, there are very good reasons to be afraid of the military. Mostly because you have no rights whatsoever, and they carry big sharp things and are good at dismembering living creatures with them.
He's fucking with us.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4267 on: August 10, 2012, 12:30:54 am »

I think what makes it worse is I see Fischer as being acceptive of being seen as a blood thirsty monster. Hell she probably tries to propagate that image outside of Spearbreakers to intimidate aggressors. My lack of real attacks can be seen as it succeeeding.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4268 on: August 10, 2012, 12:38:00 am »

True, but most mediavel societies wouldn't have females in charge of the local army. And they wouldn't be dealing with the local living zombies from a demon goddess, either. Besides, our overseers aren't mediavel, so mediavel ideas don't apply to our military, modern ones do. They are there to keep our sorry characters alive, and Fischer is the best at it. I doesn't care what you guys says, Fischer is our hero. At the end of the day, when the call goes out for someone to Be Super, she is the one who steps up the highest. So what if she's cranky, frightening, sometimes kills helpless animals, and beats on her fellow soldiers in training? She is still Fischer Norris, Superdorf.

I just noticed that both the idea of her being Super, and the idea of her being a Norris were both my ideas, and you guys have happily accepted it. Makes me feel like I belong. It's a warm and fuzzy feeling. n.n

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4269 on: August 10, 2012, 12:38:52 am »

If I ever get off my lazy arse and start writing journal entries for my dwarf, then I am going with Xahnel's definition of Fischer.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4270 on: August 10, 2012, 12:42:03 am »

Everyone has a different idea of our soldiers.

Some fear them
Some respect them.
Some love them for what they do.
Some hate them for thier potential madness and disregard for dwarven morals.

In the end, all that matters is one simple fact: To fuck with Spearbreakers is to forfiet your life.

Paintbrushturkey

• Bay Watcher
  • BWHAHAHAHA - No, we're perfectly same, aren't we?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4271 on: August 10, 2012, 03:33:09 am »

It's not that they're squishy. it's just the nature of chopping weapons and thier habit of removing limbs and liberating lower bodies from upper bodies.

Exactly the mere fact that they drop limbs like a tree in autumn is an indicator that they are well, squishy....
Some People are like Slinkies. Not really good for much, but they still bring a smile to your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4272 on: August 10, 2012, 06:18:30 am »

Yikes... Massive Fischer derail. :D Very awesome.

(First, hooray for pics, Splint! They look awesome. I hadn't known you could draw so well until just recently. :P But where's the rest of them?)

I imagine Fischer as not so much psycho... but more... "You're gonna die and there's nothing you can do about it, but don't bother trying to make my job easier because I'll probably be bored even if you do your worst." Kind of "no mercy"... I don't like the idea of Fischer being a ravening lunatic at all. Or a villain. Simply that she's badass is good enough for me.

And now, for seqivet.
It's the second year of your fort. Everything's going smoothly - you've managed to build a new hospital, it's not like Spearbreakers'. You've got a drawbridge and a huge moat filled with water from a nearby river. You've got a long path leading to the fortress filled with pointy spikes and cave traps, and you're finally getting the semblance of a working military.
Suddenly, something goes wrong. The game pauses and the screen moves to the dining room, deep within the fortress. "An ambush! Curse them!" It's a band of seqivet - seven of them, to be exact. They kill a dwarf or two before you can even do anything about it.
You send in a single squad - fortunately the barracks is right next door. When the squad arrives, the seqivet disappear. You fear they haven't actually been vaporized, as you don't have a Colonel Fischer, and your mind is on high alert, so you have your squad search the dining room from corner to corner. Moments later... "An ambush! Curse them!" The screen has moved to the opposite side of the fortress, at the statue garden - it's the same band of seqivet.
Now you're actually scared. You wish you hadn't left the drawbridge down, and that you'd remembered to build an F.R.O.G... And possibly that you hadn't made the hallways quite so wide. You rush your soldiers - all of them - to the statue garden. One of your civilians has gotten off a lucky hit - one of the seqivet are wounded and trailing pink blood, in contrast to Scythod Green or Troll Blue. But as soon as the soldiers arrive, the seqivet disappear again. You try to lock both doors to the garden to trap them, but they've already claimed the far door. Not knowing what else to do, you move your entire military to the center of the fortress, hoping you'll be able to reach wherever they pop up next in time.
But they never show up again. Have they left? Are they lurking somewhere in the fortress? Are they waiting for you to let your guard down? Should you raise the drawbridge lest more come, or keep it down in case they decide to leave? You don't know, but you're biting your nails in terrified, paranoid anticipation of your next encounter.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 06:20:22 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

soulslicerjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4273 on: August 10, 2012, 09:16:58 am »

Is Fischer insane?  All I can say is "sanity is defined by the majority." (Quoted from Terry Prachett's Discworld series book "thief of time", pg. 284)

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4274 on: August 10, 2012, 09:22:36 am »

Lol, talvieno, you might wanna go back to your last responce. There's something that might shock you.
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 815