Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2197714 times)

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #4620 on: August 20, 2012, 08:43:34 am »

Bravo on your choice for Vanya - I'm incredibly impressed.  :o I can't believe you found such an appropriate dwarf. lol
"She has a poor memory."
Getting mindwiped by an evil megacorp would seem to do that to you, right?  :P
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4621 on: August 20, 2012, 08:55:32 am »

I would expect so. :P Either that or it just symbolizes how she has no idea whether her memory can even be trusted. lol 

But take a look at this:

Note the third one in the list... She still considers Stova her friend, even six years after she turned. I can't imagine that - having to listen, night after night, to the agonized howls of an imprisoned monster you consider your friend... All while knowing that their mind is still helplessly trapped within their mutilated body.
Suddenly the canon with Fischer visiting the imprisoned Spawn takes on a whole new meaning.

I think our Fridge Horror just got bumped up a notch.

lateedit (11/15/2012): Apparently, I somehow managed to confuse Stova with Softa. No idea how.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 10:09:12 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4622 on: August 20, 2012, 09:47:32 am »

And sanity slippage, unless all the little hints at deteriorating mental health weren't obvious.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4623 on: August 20, 2012, 10:10:20 am »

I'm still very strongly disliking the idea of Fischer being insane. It ruins her image, in my opinion. Would Chuck Norris be Chuck Norris if he was a drooling, babbling idiot?

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4624 on: August 20, 2012, 10:12:23 am »

If vanya needs a freind to keep her sane, and mr frog lets her out of her room, rose is available for hanging out.

Actually, story wise, i was wondering if rose could be assigned to guard mr frog because he's the fort's designated Smart Guy, and because story stuffs.

EDIT: I tried to portray her as our hero, and i got shut down. Because apparently it's the popular image, that the champion is a vicious psychopath who is only One Bad Day away from going Joker on everyone.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 10:16:05 am by Xahnel »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4625 on: August 20, 2012, 10:17:13 am »

Fischer isn't depicted as such. She's the violent kind of crazy, not the babbling slobbering loon kind. And the mind slowly eroding was more for dorf!Splint. I actually tried to make it seem like he's convinced Stova is haunting his hammer and talking to him (The voices he keeps referring to.)

Also, things that would be considered insanity among a rookie are entirely plausible and normal with Fischer, just because she's:

A. Armok's daughter
B. A relative of Chuck Norris
C. Just that badass
D. That special kind of violent yet stable crazy
or E. All of the above.

E: Ninja'd

Rose is basically relegated to alternating being drill sergeant for Splint and his two inept bodyguards and being generally nasty to people who annoy her gamewise. Plus it's pretty clear Mr Frog doesn't need protection (he's got a passing familiarity with firearms/mag-cel weapons, crossbows and chainsaw weapons, along with his night night dart guns hidden in his sleeves.)

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4626 on: August 20, 2012, 11:22:46 am »

I'm pretty sure rose has only been nasty to draignean, and mean with splint. And she only goes drill sergeant during training. I don't want her to only ever be angry, because she can be very nice too.
EDIT: As for mr frog, i'm not denigrating his combat ability, but you don't leave the head smart guy to fend for himself. And considering how he treats vanya, he wouldn't want her guarding his life.
EDIT 2: Also, knowledge of weapons that technically don't exist in game doesn't do him much in the way of defense if he gets himself in a bad place game play wise.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 11:44:30 am by Xahnel »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4627 on: August 20, 2012, 11:44:26 am »

I based that on the fact that he's shown both storywise and in game he's more than capable of defending himself. He hasn't had any need of a guard since he came here so I don't see why he would now.

Besides, I activated the squad and if they don't stay active constantly they won't make any progress with thier training. I chose Rose becaus out of the whole bodyguard detail She was the only one fit to teach.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4628 on: August 20, 2012, 11:48:35 am »

That's like saying the vice president doesn't need the secret service because hes a 32nd degree black belt. (yes i do view mr frog as vp of this fort.)
EDIT: And since the invasion of hell is proven to go very well, i'm not in a hurry. I'm not saying pull her off training. Just saying, if it can happen that it does.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 12:02:18 pm by Xahnel »

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4629 on: August 20, 2012, 12:03:47 pm »

That's like saying the vice president doesn't need the secret service because hes a 32nd degree black belt. (yes i do view mr frog as vp of this fort.)

:o

You read the updates where Dorf!Frog gunned down spawn and goblins with his crossbow while refusing to move, right? Before Fischer and her squad of hardasses could get there? I think Dorf!Frog is sufficiently badass on his own. And from what I can tell, having a bodyguard following him around at all times would be a bit OOC. Dorf!Frog seems to be the 'works alone' type. Even with Vanya, he basically just uses her to do a couple things he couldn't do himself, then leaves her out of the loop on the rest of what is being done.
Just my two cents though.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4630 on: August 20, 2012, 12:19:38 pm »

No one said he had to like having a guard. He'd probably be irritated (with slight ego stroking to know he was considered important) and stick her to wait in the hallway. Prolly say "Stay", like she was a dog, and use her to run errands whenever vanya couldn't leave.

Yes, hans, i did read those updates. But once again, just because an important person is badass, doesn't make it okay to give them no on-hand support in case the shit hits the fan.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4631 on: August 20, 2012, 03:16:35 pm »

Fischer isn't depicted as such. She's the violent kind of crazy, not the babbling slobbering loon kind. And the mind slowly eroding was more for dorf!Splint. I actually tried to make it seem like he's convinced Stova is haunting his hammer and talking to him (The voices he keeps referring to.)

Also, things that would be considered insanity among a rookie are entirely plausible and normal with Fischer, just because she's:

A. Armok's daughter
B. A relative of Chuck Norris
C. Just that badass
D. That special kind of violent yet stable crazy
or E. All of the above.

E: Ninja'd

Rose is basically relegated to alternating being drill sergeant for Splint and his two inept bodyguards and being generally nasty to people who annoy her gamewise. Plus it's pretty clear Mr Frog doesn't need protection (he's got a passing familiarity with firearms/mag-cel weapons, crossbows and chainsaw weapons, along with his night night dart guns hidden in his sleeves.)
Ah, you meant dorf!Splint. Yeah, I figured he was kind of losing it. :P I think he was fine up until he got thrust back into overseership... that's probably what sent him sliding towards the edge.

And I agree... I don't think Mr Frog needs a bodyguard at all. :-\ Come on, he blasts goblin-brains and DJs at the same time. What more could you ask for? And Mr Frog isn't in any immediate danger, unlike presidents and royalty. All three corporations (not including Stone INC) avoid killing him because he's basically their anchor in Spearbreakers. He's in possession of the only permanent miniportal in the fortress - if he goes, they don't have any quick way to get in and out. Splint's telepacks appear to only port directly into portal devices that have already been established, so they kind of need him there. I imagine that if he ever was in immediate danger, he'd have an assortment of people (from multiple companies) porting in to protect him - probably without his knowledge. (All of whom would be armed with guns and high-tech weaponry... quite a bit better than a hammer, pitchblende or otherwise.)

As to Rose befriending Vanya... Vanya isn't the type to make friends that easily, unfortunately. Nor would she be likely to trust a female in the military. :P All the same, I'm planning a sort of tour around the fortress for her in the near future, and if you want, we could possibly have them both have a brief (brief) conversation.

By the way... @Mitchewawa: Fischer wasn't drowning during your turn, and she didn't accidentally fall in. It was intentional - she was practicing breathing the water. Because she's that badass.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 03:19:06 pm by Talvieno »

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4632 on: August 20, 2012, 05:14:27 pm »

Well, technically rose isn't military... Bodyguarding isn't a military activity, is it? Well if you like, since you got my phone number, we can rp that brief conversation.

Always with the shutting down because too badass for logic...

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #4633 on: August 20, 2012, 05:48:36 pm »

Dorf me as Tahu, Swordsdwarf, and I'd like a turn.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4634 on: August 20, 2012, 07:21:19 pm »

No promises on the profession, but I'm sure we can find you an infantry dorf. Welcome to tha madhouse.
Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 815