Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178877 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #4650 on: August 20, 2012, 09:47:40 pm »

You are tempting fate just by talking about it! Go back to thumb twiddling.

Tempting fate? This is Spearbreakers. Monsters tempt fate when they speak of us. We fear nothing. Except for Fischer dying. We fear that.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4651 on: August 20, 2012, 09:53:12 pm »

Yeah, because if she dies that means the fort is on its last legs.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4652 on: August 20, 2012, 09:54:15 pm »

Yeah, because if she dies that means the fort is on its last legs.

And those legs are probably trying to find a well hidden corner to cower in, as whatever hellish force that defeated the mighty Fischer obliterates the remaining dwarves.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4653 on: August 20, 2012, 09:56:41 pm »

have we installed balistas yet? because I want a fucking balista. or a catapult..or a CATapult....

I SHALL INVESTIAGATE THE MYSTERIOUS CATAPULT

FOR !!SCIENCE!!
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

Jack Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4654 on: August 20, 2012, 10:07:37 pm »

@Hans: Ah, I see. I rarely check the OP since I just use my browser's history to navigate to the last page of this topic I was on, so my bad.

Strange how few megabeasts have made an appearance, though. I wonder if the spawn managed to kill most of them off in worldgen or something.

Back to trying to dig out this magma piston in my fortress.

soulslicerjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4655 on: August 20, 2012, 10:20:42 pm »

Strange how few megabeasts have made an appearance, though. I wonder if the spawn managed to kill most of them off in worldgen or something.

They look at us and think "this fort slaughters Spawn for sport.  I don't even want to know what they'll do to ME."

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4656 on: August 20, 2012, 11:32:23 pm »

Considering we don't know how intelligent mega and forgotten beasts are, they might do just that.
Bronze colossus: i'm not going over there, haven't you heard what they did to those zombie dwarf things?
Hydra: i heard those dwarves are so strong, the zombie dwarves ran away.
Dragon: i heard their champion isn't even from this world. She was set from the stars so she could kill things here.

Edit: more fischer stuff:
 When goblins wanted a new god, they invaded spearbreakers to declare fischer it.
Fischer can sell wood to elves.
The king of demons offered to make fischer his right hand dwarf. She was eating dinner out of his skull last night.
Fischer doesn't swim. The water is too scared to touch her.
When fischer walks, elephants run.
Fischer once punched a spawn so hard it changed back into a dwarf.
Fischer doesn't hunt. Animals just offer themselves to her pike.
Fischer doesn't need to drink. Her body produces booze naturally. She just likes the taste.
Only fischer exists. We just thinkwe're the real ones.
Fischer's tears cure tantrum spirals. Too bad she never cries.
Fischer can put out hell by blowing on it.
Magma turns to obsidian just so it can have the honor of being crossed by her.
Fischer will have four children, who will be the Four Horsemen.
Fischer owns a dragon with adamantium scales. She takes it cruisin' for manbitches.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 11:53:06 pm by Xahnel »

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4657 on: August 20, 2012, 11:33:29 pm »

Considering we don't know how intelligent mega and forgotten beasts are, they might do just that.
Bronze colossus: i'm not going over there, haven't you heard what they did to those zombie dwarf things?
Hydra: i heard those dwarves are so strong, the zombie dwarves ran away.
Dragon: i heard their champion isn't even from this world. She was set from the stars so she could kill things here.

QUOTE SECTION.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4658 on: August 20, 2012, 11:57:30 pm »

Wow, really?  That's my first nomination?
I think my snappy one liners need more snap...

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4659 on: August 21, 2012, 06:48:15 am »

Pre-update update:

Like in Watchedgleam, I'll deliver my initial survey of the fort.

HEALTH REPORT:

I have inspected all the dwarves for any injuries and illnesses. RIGHT, CHOP CHOP.

Sus II has an infection.

...Sus III has tissue damage and an infection.

OverlordTNT has tissue damage, infection and cannot stand up.

Aseaheru is critically injured, and stands blinking near the dodge-me trap entrance. He's been treated already. He has multiple infections, including one in his lungs.

Gemblade is still badly injured despite the fact his wounding occurred seven years ago.

A no-name army-dwarf has severed nerves, but is otherwise healthy.

That's it for the health report.

I found two turned-Spawn. They're behind floodgates... is this a trick? Softa and Ashsaber sit howling and clawing in their rooms.

Ugeth and Kob, the two FBs, both with deadly spittle, both made of water. Don't appear to pose any threat.

I like Frog's F.R.O.G, but I don't think it has any use unless I seal off the entrance and open the trick entrance.

I have possessed a beekeeper and named him Lord Reudh, the Not Actually a Lord. I'll be writing in character once i get some time for updates.

As I unpaused to check the FPS, (it's stable at 20), Draignean and Jack Magnus began sparring. A dog grew up. Rose became a macedwarf. Life marches on at Spearbreakers!

Fischer truly is a machine. It's sad Runesmith no longer works but a Fischer thrall a la Headshoots' end would be amazing. Ain't going to happen during my tenure, no sirree.

The food and drink situation appears stable. I shall leave it how it is.

Lastly, this fort

this fort

IS AMAZING.

It's so cleanly set up!

I love how it's set up! It's more ordered than any fort I've ever seen! THIS IS AMAZING!

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4660 on: August 21, 2012, 07:00:10 am »

Sus II has an infection.
...Sus III has tissue damage and an infection.
OverlordTNT has tissue damage, infection and cannot stand up.
Aseaheru is critically injured, and stands blinking near the dodge-me trap entrance. He's been treated already. He has multiple infections, including one in his lungs.
Gemblade is still badly injured despite the fact his wounding occurred seven years ago.
A no-name army-dwarf has severed nerves, but is otherwise healthy.
Soap. I said SOAP. (this to all the previous overseers, including me) We have the stuff for it, all somebody needs to do is go to the soapmaker's workshop and set Make Soap With Tallow on repeat.

I found two turned-Spawn. They're behind floodgates... is this a trick? Softa and Ashsaber sit howling and clawing in their rooms.
Don't release them or kill them. They're former dwarves, and have ties to many of the dwarves in the fortress, including Fischer. Killing them could initiate a tantrum spiral.

Ugeth and Kob, the two FBs, both with deadly spittle, both made of water. Don't appear to pose any threat.
There are three, actually... One of them is hiding. Ugeth ought to be made of fire, though... There's also a skinless toad. It's been requested that Ugeth and Thiliri (skinless toad) remain unharmed. Actually, we're trying to capture Thiliri if at all possible. Good luck with that. ;) Might be done with clever use of doors (as bait), fortifications, cage traps and a cave-in. I have an idea of how it could be done, but it's not my turn.

I like Frog's F.R.O.G, but I don't think it has any use unless I seal off the entrance and open the trick entrance.
Build a new one? Over Splint's entrance?

Fischer truly is a machine. It's sad Runesmith no longer works but a Fischer thrall a la Headshoots' end would be amazing.
This would actually be a fitting way for the fortress to fall... I like it.

It's so cleanly set up!

I love how it's set up! It's more ordered than any fort I've ever seen! THIS IS AMAZING!
...are you serious? :-\ Huh.  I blame Splint. :P Oh well, I guess we'll just have to wait til you start playing. Glad you like the layout.

I'm surprised you weren't dwarfed... I thought for sure you were. Won't it be funny if you start playing and realize, "Wait, I was dwarfed". The tradition continues...

What style of updates can we expect?

(EDIT: By the way, Hell can be safely invaded. Use the animal pit near the bottom, make sure you close the floor hatch in the ceiling past the door and drawbridge. Then station all marksdwarf squads behind the fortifications.)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 07:16:50 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4661 on: August 21, 2012, 07:06:22 am »

Orderd? Have you SEEN the doors that lead to nothing and the remains of old entrances? :P

And yes, several dwarve shave infections and don't seem at all inconvienienced by it. Pokonic's dwarf either has sensory or motor nerve damage, Draignean and a few others have massive scarring which is making it seem like they're hurt worse than they really are.

The skinless frog has a way into the fortress, and will need to be eliminated or captured. Will post screenie of suspected entryway it used. It's dust is none lethal. It causes mild bleeding, dizziness, blacking out and heavy bruising but is otherwise harmless on its own..

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4662 on: August 21, 2012, 10:38:19 am »

Rose became a macedwarf?
I thought she was training hammers.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4663 on: August 21, 2012, 10:45:03 am »

Sus III:s Journal

So, I'm down at the forges today, tossing some magny old xsockxs and what-have-you into the purging Blood of the Mountains. On my way up, I'm almost bowled over by this stranger in an odd-looking armour, carrying some sort of foreign weapon and romping about like he owns the place. As I'm about to leave and go about my business, he shouts after me: "Hey, you!" -I turn my head- "Have you seen anybody else down here? An elf girl maybe?"

I furrow my brow and look at him like he's a madman. "Now why would there be an elf here, smack in the middle of a Dwarven fortress? As far as I know, they don't come further down than the depot outside at most."
"She's a spy, you see... Very dangerous. We were told she would be down here. It is important that we detain her for questioning."
He speaks Dwarven with a strange accent I don't think I've heard before. His tone, however - one of a condescending and insincere politeness - tells me all I need to know about him. This -like his two companions rushing down the stairs behind him - is a man who is used to dispensing summary "justice" at the point of a pike, or whatever that thing in his hands might be. A bloodhound. Mercenary, perhaps, in the employ of some powerful warlord.

I put on my stupid face. I'm remarkably good at convincing people I'm not worth wasting their time on, if need be. "Now, why would a commoner like me know anything about some spies or whatnot? I'm no elf, I'm sure you can see. Maybe you should go ask Reudh; he runs the show these days I'm told. Or maybe Splint, he was the boss till this spring."
Just because his superior attitude is starting to annoy me, I throw in a little barb: "Or, I don't know, maybe you should ask Fischer. Though if your little thief's met with Fischer, I don't know if there's much of her left for you to question; most suspicious things come this way end up as ornaments on Fischer's pike."

The stranger's smug confidence cracks ever so little. I fake a cough to hide my smirk. "Anyways, I'm off to stuff my gullet. Good day to you." With that, I trot off up the staircase, not waiting for an answer. One of the mercenaries mutters something under his breath about "bloody savages"; usually that would earn him a broken rib or three, but there's three of them with those mean-looking weapons and they look like they need little reason to use them.

Frankly, dear Diary, Fischer scares even me a little. She is, you know, different somehow from the rest of us. I mean, us regular 'dorfs, we just do what we're told (well, exceptin' of course whoever is the Overseer at the time and that strange Mr Frog fella; he seems to do whatever he pleases around here). Anyway, most of us just want to get through the day without being torn to bloody shreds or turned into something unnatural. Not Fischer; come the first sign of trouble, she's already stabbed it through three different body parts and bashed its teeth out. I figure maybe she takes every attack on Spearbreakers personally or something. That or she just plain likes killing stuff. Either way, I'm glad she's on our side; I'd hate to be staring at the business end of her pike, though I probably wouldn't be doing so for too long...
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4664 on: August 21, 2012, 10:54:56 am »

I mentioned this already. I thought she was a hammerdwarf. Turns out she wasn't but I left it alone since you were insistant she be given a proper posting rather than being relgated to hauler duty. She has enough other skills to make her a decent enough teacher.

E: Ninja'd by Sus, with a few humerous remarks in there making me lol.

I won't lie, I'm considering writing a story where Fischer messes up the mercenaries (there's bound to be more hunting V, those three just happened to be caught chasing a fortress resident around.)

And now, a choppy rushed story detailing how Ecem, Bugi, Aret, and Koth became Ballpoint Tech. contractors.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pardon the suckage, spelling errors and what not. I just felt the need to write something and this sprung to mind.
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 815