Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2195990 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #4755 on: August 23, 2012, 07:56:54 pm »

What the hell did I miss? I was picking up my books for school.

Also

Reudh: Our demons won't explode but they will fall apart rather spectacularly under a hail of +bone bolts+. The marks dwarves will need to be on the fortifications due to low skill and need lots of ammo, but they can only dodge so many bolts at once.

And quit ninjaing me you bastards!

EDIT: I'll also humor the rumor mill. What can I say, I like redheads (I got the drawing stashed in case I need to draw her for anything in my DF art folder. That's the only reason I remember her hair color.) :P

soulslicerjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4756 on: August 23, 2012, 08:10:31 pm »

Um... Just how exactly do you plan on doing this in the raws? Or are you considering modifying the program itself? For starters, there's not any oil... :P There IS a way to make "flamethrowers", but it involves modifying the dwarves themselves to give them the ability to cast fire. and trust me, you DON'T want to do that. Dwarves aren't fireproof. But if you did want that, this is what you'd do:

1. Create a new special type of stone that turns to vapor when mined. This is possible. Let's call it "flamestone" for now.
2. Cause flamestone's vapor form to transmit a syndrome when inhaled. This is also possible.
3. Design the flamestone syndrome to grant the dwarf the ability to cast streams of flames from their hands constantly. Last I checked, the dwarf has to be either fireproof from the start or they're screwed. Magma imp leather armor is worthless, regardless of what rumors you may have heard. If you want the casters to keep from catching fire, mod the dwarf files. Even then, good luck with not setting your fortress on fire.
4. Have your dwarf mine out the flamestone. The dwarf may inhale the vapor, and it may not - with about a 33% success rate, in my experience. If it works, congratulations - you have your flame powers. It's not a flame thrower, but it's as close as you can get.

I was hoping to wait until I learned modding in concerns of making this.  Also, by "oil" I meant like rocknut oil.  The whole thing about making them siege weapons was meant to counter-act the whole thing about dwarves not being fireproof.  I imagined it would work by spraying the oil, with some sort of interaction to set it on fire as soon as it leaves the flamethrower.  Still, if added in Spearbreakers 2 with all the other futuristic (for DF) weapons, I imagine it would be saved for clearing out necro hordes, as it will likely flush out the necros and leave behind little for them to reanimate (I think, can necros reanimate bodies if all the flesh has been burned away?)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4757 on: August 23, 2012, 08:13:07 pm »

If lit on fire anything but it seems spawn will eventually be completely incinerated.

However, in place of a proper syndrome things, I'm sure we could make some kind of boulder burst into flames upon contact with stuff. Or not. Fuck if I know.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4758 on: August 23, 2012, 08:20:40 pm »

I thought talvi was gonna eventually reject rose?
Besides, no rule says you can't have two crushes.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4759 on: August 23, 2012, 08:26:24 pm »

As I recall, rock nut oil isn't particularly flammable, though the buckets that it's stored in are. (still not very useful to you. :P) Spinning blades can be simulated, but have no real counterpart in the raws. It's partially canon. Spraying liquids isn't possible with weaponry. :( Sad. I wish it was. The only thing that can be loaded into catapults are regular mined stones. Stones that have been mined can't do anything special. More sad. :(

And yes. Necros can animate bodies so long as they're not just single bones. As far as I know. Shoot, we saw hair trying to kill a dog at one point. Just the hair.

@Xahnel, yeah, that was true. I guess we could just say it went away or something, if you don't want to continue with it.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4760 on: August 23, 2012, 08:38:55 pm »

heres a idea for Spearbreakers 2: a cloned copy of many of the great dwarves in spearbreakers. and post-apoc.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

soulslicerjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4761 on: August 23, 2012, 08:39:27 pm »

As I recall, rock nut oil isn't particularly flammable, though the buckets that it's stored in are. (still not very useful to you. :P) Spinning blades can be simulated, but have no real counterpart in the raws. It's partially canon. Spraying liquids isn't possible with weaponry. :( Sad. I wish it was. The only thing that can be loaded into catapults are regular mined stones. Stones that have been mined can't do anything special. More sad. :(

One could mod the oil to make it more flammable, or add some new plants that provide "proper" oil for it.  As for the whole thing about no spraying liquids, maybe it could be based off of a pump, but with much greater pressure?

And yes. Necros can animate bodies so long as they're not just single bones. As far as I know. Shoot, we saw hair trying to kill a dog at one point. Just the hair.

At least the hair would burn without leaving anything behind, right?  Also, won't skeletons be easier to break into parts too small to reanimate?

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #4762 on: August 23, 2012, 08:40:41 pm »

@Talvi:

Any corpse piece that has a grasp or a head can be animated. The hair could be reanimated because some of it was once covering its owner's head.

PLOT IDEAS I'VE HAD SO FAR THAT ARE NOT COMPLETELY STUPID:

• Mr Frog creates a new version of the skinless frog (I'm going on the idea that the frog was an escaped lab experiment that Frog passed off as an FB). Someone happens on it and springs it loose by accident.
  • The head of the local necrotower is being paid off by Parasol/Ballpoint/etc. to take 'defensive measures' against Spearbreakers; one of the lower-ranking members becomes suspicious and investigates.

I think this is my least favourite part of writing :( Every idea I have seems stupid or contrived or generally-unworkable.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4763 on: August 23, 2012, 08:44:05 pm »

@Splint: what does this mean, "humor the rumor mill"? Might dorf!Splint decide to become available after all?
@Talvieno: honestly, i think Talvi still secretly likes Mr Frog...

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4764 on: August 23, 2012, 09:16:05 pm »

every time i see a character drawing my logic kicks in and they are four feet tall....

Fuck you brain...
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4765 on: August 23, 2012, 09:19:07 pm »

There could be an immolating ballista bolt. It works by existing in a solid form at room temperature, but liquifies or sublimates when embedded in a body, releasing a syndrome...

I remember trying to have an enemy that when it bit splattered 'molten inconflagravium' on the enemy, the hope was that because of its extremely high ambient temperature and [ENTERS_BLOOD] that it would cause massive tissue damage and hopefully catch alight.

This was back in 31.x before the material rewrite, so I had to make do with the bite being a venom that was a molten metal at 59,999U.

"Erregailor 1 bites Dwarf 1 in the left hand!"
"Erregailor 1 latches on firmly!"
"Inconflagravium splatters on the left hand!"
Code: [Select]
[MELTING_POINT:10000]
[MAT_FIXED_TEMP:59999]
[SOLID_DENSITY:10000]
[LIQUID_DENSITY:100]

...It never worked though.
I liked my little etymology though. Erregailor was a twisted translation of the basque verb 'To burn', and Inconflagravium was a portmanteau of 'incandescere' (I burn white hot), 'conflagro' (I am consumed by flame) and 'ium', the elemental suffix.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4766 on: August 23, 2012, 09:27:00 pm »

Ooh, maybe there could be a love quadrangle. <dwarf> -> Rose -> Splint -> Stova.

Juicy~
I don't like it. Not enough fire.

On the subject of fire, I've decided to get around Splint's ban of weaponizing magma by modding in flamethrowers. :)

Okay, not really, but I have been thinking about such a mod.  I've come up with the following things:
-Due to the problems of their being no appropriate weapon skill and the likely results of dwarves getting into training matches with them, I decided they'll be siege engines like catapults and ballistas.  To compensate for being immobile, They will have a much longer range compared to traditional depictions of flamethrowers(maybe around 20-30 squares long).
-Not sure what they'll use as ammo, but probably oil.

So, real life hand held flamethrowers typically have a range of about a hundred feet. Movies totally fail when it comes to flamethrowers. Movies use propane to make the flame for a flamethrower, when flamethrowers spray napalm. Napalm is highly viscous and sticky. Way fucking scarier than propane, IMO. Anyway, good luck with that. :D
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

soulslicerjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4767 on: August 23, 2012, 11:12:41 pm »

They will have a much longer range compared to traditional depictions of flamethrowers(maybe around 20-30 squares long).

So, real life hand held flamethrowers typically have a range of about a hundred feet. Movies totally fail when it comes to flamethrowers. Movies use propane to make the flame for a flamethrower, when flamethrowers spray napalm. Napalm is highly viscous and sticky. Way fucking scarier than propane, IMO. Anyway, good luck with that. :D

I realize that flamethrowers are almost never depicted accurately.  I'm just basing range on what sounds good, but not so good that it makes it too easy.  Not to mention that we don't know just how large one tile is (in D&D, everything is done using 5'*5' squares.  If DF tiles are the same size, 20-30 squares would be 100-150 feet, definitely good compared to the range you gave for flamethrowers in real life).  Also, I don't know how one would make napalm in DF, I'm just using what's available.  Anyways, I don't think there would be much difference in the game between someone being on fire and them being covered in flaming petroleum jelly.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4768 on: August 23, 2012, 11:18:50 pm »

They will have a much longer range compared to traditional depictions of flamethrowers(maybe around 20-30 squares long).

I realize that flamethrowers are almost never depicted accurately.  I'm just basing range on what sounds good, but not so good that it makes it too easy.  Not to mention that we don't know just how large one tile is (in D&D, everything is done using 5'*5' squares.  If DF tiles are the same size, 20-30 squares would be 100-150 feet, definitely good compared to the range you gave for flamethrowers in real life).  Also, I don't know how one would make napalm in DF, I'm just using what's available.  Anyways, I don't think there would be much difference in the game between someone being on fire and them being covered in flaming petroleum jelly.

... I salute your forethought, good sir. Also, have an internet.

+1 INTERNET
^(o.o)^
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4769 on: August 24, 2012, 06:13:31 am »

@Mr Frog: I'm not sure how you could get the first one to work... But I kind of like the second one. It would have to be Eris that's paying off the necrotower, not anyone else - if it was Ballpoint or Parasol, it would be counterproductive. They're trying to keep Spearbreakers alive if possible (for now) - it keeps the Spawn from overrunning the place, and gives them somewhere to congregate around, like moths to flame. Or, rather, a raging fire, in our case.

@Hanslanda: The use of propane instead of napalm has always disappointed me. And they do it in games, too. It's rare you see a game with an accurate flamethrower... usually because they're just too freaking overpowered. :P

I'd always assumed the tiles were 10'x10'x10', or at the very least 8'x8'x8'. 5'3 raises the question of how humans fit inside without having to lay down... Plus, then the doorways would have to be around 4' high and that would make it difficult for even the dwarves themselves to get around (I imagine they're around 4.5' on average, given what the raws say).

I don't see how it's possible, but if you think you can manage to actually create an ingame flame weapon of any kind, go for it. I've never seen a mod like that, and frankly, I'd like to have it. :P
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 815