Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178542 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #4770 on: August 24, 2012, 06:24:00 am »

Minor update:

Stibnite grew attached to his shield, Longland to his crossbow, and Draignean to his adamantine pike. :D

I'm constructing flooring to protect the entrance of Spearbreakers. Would it be terrible of me to use fastdwarf?

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4771 on: August 24, 2012, 06:26:00 am »

Yes it would be. :P Please don't fastdwarf... I think we've cheated more than enough already with multiple obsidian plugs and autodump.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4772 on: August 24, 2012, 06:30:28 am »

I personally don't care, so long as battles are fought at normal speed to keep the fight fair.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4773 on: August 24, 2012, 06:32:53 am »

So that's a Don't and a Not Fussed. I don't think I'll fastdwarf to complete the building then.

Breaking news, Mitchewawa has entered a fey mood.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4774 on: August 24, 2012, 06:34:53 am »

I forgot what he is..... I wanna say either mason or bone carver, but I'm probably wrong.

Also, for the invasion of hell assign at least two dorfs to bone carving and begin culling the adult animals. The juvinile ones won't yeild much, if anything useable. Those bone bolts will knock the bastards apart.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4775 on: August 24, 2012, 06:35:05 am »

Sigh... I had a feeling you'd pop in and say that... lol

The biggest problem with fastdwarf is that everything is affected by it - this includes training, production, skill leveling, everything. The second biggest problem with fastdwarf is what you're using it for - you can build five times as much with fastdwarf as you can without it. It's very, very obvious when someone uses fastdwarf to build with, because it's year 2 and they have walls that are 4 z's high outside. 

ninja'd twice.

edit: Careful with the animals. :P We really, really need more giant war emus, and we STILL don't have any nestboxes. lol
reedit.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 07:26:01 am by Talvieno »

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4776 on: August 24, 2012, 08:37:33 am »

Hey, Splint, you didn't answer my question. What does "humor the rumor mill" mean?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4777 on: August 24, 2012, 08:43:34 am »

Hey, Splint, you didn't answer my question. What does "humor the rumor mill" mean?

As in I'll roll with whatever as far as characters being perceived as together or whatever the hell.

And I'll come clean, I used fastdwarf to build the roads outside when the fist was finished, simply because as far as I'm concerned, things that look like floors shouldn't be outside unless there's a roof ever them, hence the rough cobbles I used instead. It just took forever the slow way to move the boulders with FPS where it was. :\

EDIT: Also worse comes to worse we can always just order more giant emu from home.

soulslicerjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4778 on: August 24, 2012, 08:47:52 am »

First off, I'm going to create a new thread in the modding section for the whole flamethrower mod discussion.  I brought it up in the first place expecting people to just think of things like Spawn vs. flamethrowers, not a derail on just how I would make it work.  I'll post a link for those who want to discuss the mod once the thread is made.

On topic, just HOW does this fort still not have nestboxes?  In my forts, I usually have 25 (way more than I've yet to need, but at least I 'll have enough if I get more egg-layers) before the second dwarf caravan, and could get them made before the first if other things didn't take priority.  I know this fort has a thing for mugs, but is it too much to put making them on hold at ONE craftdwarf's workshop to churn out a few nestboxes?

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4779 on: August 24, 2012, 08:51:45 am »

... Nup, still confuzzled.

Does that mean you don't mind everyone THINKING thier together, or you don' mind them ACTUALLY being together? I wanna make sure i understand before anything gets written.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4780 on: August 24, 2012, 08:54:57 am »

... Nup, still confuzzled.

Does that mean you don't mind everyone THINKING thier together, or you don' mind them ACTUALLY being together? I wanna make sure i understand before anything gets written.

Either or. I'm fine with it regardless of whichever way it goes.

Off-topic: ANyone got any tips on dealing with seperation anxiety in dogs? This damned basset hound WILL NOT SHUT UP. And the source of the seperation anxiety is the front wall of the house because my dad is cleaning his truck.

@ James - I was expecting someone else to make them, and no-one ever did. I was busy dealing with other stuff so I never thought about it on my second turn.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4781 on: August 24, 2012, 08:58:57 am »

Personally, i would just start petting the dog. Try and get it to lay on it's back for a belly rub. Or throw a toy for it to chase.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4782 on: August 24, 2012, 09:03:12 am »

I do all that but as soon as I stop she starts whining at the door again. Oh well.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4783 on: August 24, 2012, 09:08:33 am »

And I'll come clean, I used fastdwarf to build the roads outside when the fist was finished, simply because as far as I'm concerned, things that look like floors shouldn't be outside unless there's a roof ever them, hence the rough cobbles I used instead. It just took forever the slow way to move the boulders with FPS where it was. :\
I figured, but I didn't want to say anything until you confessed to it. It was kind of easy to see. I had a fastdwarf fort once, so I have a good idea of what it makes you capable of... And I still don't approve. :P I'm actually pretty displeased... If it was my succession fort, I'd be doing a ragequit about now. Or a savescum.

First off, I'm going to create a new thread in the modding section for the whole flamethrower mod discussion.  I brought it up in the first place expecting people to just think of things like Spawn vs. flamethrowers, not a derail on just how I would make it work.  I'll post a link for those who want to discuss the mod once the thread is made.
Ooohhhhhhhhhh, Spawn Vs Flamethrowers... Yeah, you're screwed. They'd go Sankis and kill you while on fucking fire. :D Seriously... for some odd reason, even immersing Holistic Spawn in magma does nothing more than give them bruises. They don't have fireproof tags of any kind, and they still manage that. They might not be so tough against legendary dwarves, but when it comes right down to it, they're tough as hell.

Which reminds me of this.
... The Spawn are tough as hell, but -- unfortunately -- 'tough as hell' is a finite value and thus not nearly enough to weather the zombies.

On the plus side, we now have an automated defense system that is literally mathematically-impossible for invaders to survive. Because Spearbreakers.

We don't have nestboxes because none of the overseers were fully competent.

Too many ninjas.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4784 on: August 24, 2012, 09:15:29 am »

Yeah well I got sufficently annoyed by the time it was taking. All the floors inside are actually tiled roads to keep trees from growing in the pathways and were done legit thanks to the mason shops all being stuffed with blocks on the levels the roads were needed.

Plus there was a massive drop in metal production while I built the fist, which I didn't notice untilw e almost ran out of iron. The fist being finished quickly rectified that. thank god that thing was more tall than truely massive and we had all those metalworkers. ::)
Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 815