Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 348 349 [350] 351 352 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2191889 times)

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #5235 on: September 08, 2012, 11:55:42 am »

Rose isn't evil, she just has to be intimidating when she calls on her secret weapon.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5236 on: September 08, 2012, 01:49:39 pm »

I just plan on writing journals for random NPC characters for shits and giggles. I'm staying far away from Fischer unless I feel I can adaquatly represent her, which at present I don't. And I think one of us mentioned somewhere Fischer burns through journals like crazy but that's because she uses them as big ol' kill lists and personal accouting ledgers (equipment orders, repair requests, shit like that) and such, not really as journals, so I don't think there's anythiung to write.

After all, how the hell do you find a journal entry in a mess of books that would make you think she was a book keeper?

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5237 on: September 08, 2012, 02:37:34 pm »

Question: if she is too humble to display her medals, why would she write down every kill she gets? That sounds like draig.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5238 on: September 08, 2012, 02:49:00 pm »

Personal tally, compared to the official one that has some kills listed multiple times. Her's would be more accurate than the ones the admin workers have because she actually killed them. Plus the paperwork to adjust the official kill lists got buried under a pile of mugs ages ago.

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5239 on: September 08, 2012, 03:21:52 pm »

Aussieevil... I like how your dwarf went from "Hmm, I need a smoke and a mag" to "MMMMMM.... blood."
I think your dwarf may actually be a vampire. The last of his kind...

Maybe... or is he just a dwarf with bloodlust? or maybe a mix of the two?
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

soulslicerjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5240 on: September 08, 2012, 05:49:48 pm »

I just plan on writing journals for random NPC characters for shits and giggles. I'm staying far away from Fischer unless I feel I can adaquatly represent her, which at present I don't. And I think one of us mentioned somewhere Fischer burns through journals like crazy but that's because she uses them as big ol' kill lists and personal accouting ledgers (equipment orders, repair requests, shit like that) and such, not really as journals, so I don't think there's anythiung to write.

After all, how the hell do you find a journal entry in a mess of books that would make you think she was a book keeper?

"The journals help more than you'd think James. Ficher's gone throuigh nine of the things, though I think she's using them as kill lists and trophy catalogues." - Count Splint on the reason every damn dorf was issued a journal after they arrived in the fort proper.

I imagine that they set up a box of unused and/or only slightly used journals by the double doors inside and hand them out as they come in and just flatt tell them it'll help.

You mean this?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5241 on: September 08, 2012, 05:51:55 pm »

Indeed.

And to those of you afraid of pissing me off, don't be. A whole mess of stress is getting to me so if I slip  and flip a table at you (A TABLE OF !!JUSTICE!! MUAHAHAHAHA!) just try to brush it off.

Paintbrushturkey

• Bay Watcher
  • BWHAHAHAHA - No, we're perfectly same, aren't we?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5242 on: September 08, 2012, 06:29:59 pm »

Indeed.

And to those of you afraid of pissing me off, don't be. A whole mess of stress is getting to me so if I slip  and flip a table at you (A TABLE OF !!JUSTICE!! MUAHAHAHAHA!) just try to brush it off.

or have fun pissing him off just a bit further :-)
Some People are like Slinkies. Not really good for much, but they still bring a smile to your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5243 on: September 08, 2012, 09:39:35 pm »

Perhaps what Fischer would write in her journals, as mentioned above, is her kill lists, equipment requests, notes on each of her underlings, and notes on enemies she has faced. A bit like a bestiary combined with equipment requests. I'm sure such a journal would be rather broken and short in sentences, as she often has to leave to fight.

Eg.

Section: Underlings.

Draignean. I have known him the longest. He's a fool. He thinks he likes me. I punch him in the face but he keeps bouncing back. Calls it a 'Spearbreakers Salute.' He's a darn good fighter though, don't let him hear it. Almost as good as me, dare I say it. REALLY don't let him hear that.

Section: Enemies.

Goblins. Weak. A greenie is a match for them. They feel pain and fear and sickness, like us, but they are so much weaker. Weak parts: anywhere if they're rank and file. They'll turn tail and run after a severe injury, they'll collapse moaning if they have anything severed. Leaders are a little tougher.

Section: Equipment requests.

Repair requested on Draignean's pike.
Repair requested on Draignean's face.
Repair requested on Third Squad's armor.
Order placed for Third Squad, Second Company to be kitted out.

It'd likely be a pretty spartan journal, containing all that she needs to know.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5244 on: September 08, 2012, 10:05:45 pm »

That made me lol.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5245 on: September 08, 2012, 10:32:40 pm »

That made me lol.

I aim to please. :P

And yeah, I think we would write it as a fairly spartan thing like that. Fischer needn't pour out her feelings, her journal would be an info dump for her.

Plus, the bestiary section would come in handy as a teaching tool. One of us could write that for the story, as a means of Fischer teaching the students.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5246 on: September 08, 2012, 10:39:20 pm »

bestiary section would come in handy as a teaching tool. One of us could write that for the story, as a means of Fischer teaching the students.

I am now writing this for shits and giggles. I needed something to do while my settlement gets its stockade up anyway.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5247 on: September 08, 2012, 10:49:38 pm »

Heck yes!

And also, I'm on tinychat if anyone wants to joinmeh.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5248 on: September 08, 2012, 11:48:07 pm »

[The original copy of something Col. Fischer wrote. there's extraneous information that just sort of slipped when written and wasn't included in the copies.]

"I figured I'd write an examination on enemy forces. Some are hardier than others, and in writing this I can pass along what I know Of our enemies." - Col. Fischer to Count Splint, whom she promptly forced to make several dozen copies.

Goblins - The green tide we all know too well. They're weak. Pitifully so in fact. A new scrub that only knows the basics is more than a match for them. They feel pain and fear and sickness, like us, but they are so much weaker. Weak parts: anywhere if they're rank and file. They'll turn tail and run after a severe injury, as any sane creature would. They have a tendency to fall like matchsticks in a stiff breeze if anything comes off and thier adrenaline isn't pumping.  Thier own sergeants aren't much stronger, but far more skilled and actually worth the trouble to bring down if only for the prestiege of killing thier weaponmasters. Once these sergeants fall thier feeble conscripts tend to break and run.

Barbarians - Median threat. I don't know nearly as much of these strange fellows as I do The Great Enemy or the goblins. They stand a full head taller than Hans at thier shortest, and are easily identifiable by thier strangly colored eyes and black to light gray skin tones. What I know of them physically  is they appear to be immune to pain, as I fought one of thier sergeants in The Walk and he didn't seem at all bothered by his broken arms. Didn't seem at all bothered after I took his head either. They're rather defiant even against certain death (the son of a bitch spat on my visor before I torn his head off.) They seem to only retreat if they know they can't win or thier force has been reduced past what they think they can take a settlement with, based on observations of the few attacks they've made. If nothing else they have some sense since they haven't tried to hurl themselves at us like the greenskins or Holistic Spawn in some time.

Holstic Spawn - I'd prefer I didn't know anything of these creatures. Sadly this isn't the case. They're unwieldly screeching brutes that can turn dwarves into more of thier own through some foul poison or magic transmitted by bite. Good armor though is thankfully enough to stop thier teeth, though the same can't be said for thier claws at times, as Hakah can tell you. These... Things, also seem to know how to control bears, though those are far less terrible when they're laying ina bleeding heap with thier rider thrown. Thier heart is thier weak point, though other means can be used to eliminate or reduce the threat.

- Decapitation. If it can't tell friend from foe, it's of no use to whatever controls them. They drop dead when liberated of it.
- Bisection. While not possible with a pike, our axelords can lop the things right in half with a well aimed strike.
- 'Martial Dentistry.' If it can't bite you it can't infect you. Knock its teeth out.
- Limb disablage. If it can't walk, claw, or bite, it cannot fight.

It should be noted and understood these things don't wear any sort of armor. My guess is it inhibits thier fighting ability being encumbered with metal and cloth. These things feel niether fear nor pain, and can't even be made to vomit, but general intimidation seems to work just fine (they flee when presented with greater strength, which is generally when there's only one or two still 'alive'.)

Humans - Preliminary observations in case they do come in force for all the caravans they lost here in the past. Imagine a less bizzar looking barbarian with enough sense to run when getting slaughtered. They also have enough common sense to use bows and crossbows.

Elves - Since our higher ups are trying to provoke a war (probably just to keep thier damned caravans away, since they offer nothing we can't produce ourselves anymore,) I figure what I know from watching them fight in the vampiric wars will be relevant as well.

Elves are flimsy, wirey little bastards but they make up for it by being fast than most dwarves, though well conditioned dwarves, be it from training or simply a life time of being a messenger or block shifter, can keep up with them. Thier assault troops are a total joke, clad in what to us may as well be wet paper and rags. Their true strength lies in thier rangers and beasts of war. However, up against a sturdy dwarven pike or axe, they fall like the trees they love so much. Be careful when they get sighted coming in force though, as they'll quickly slip into the brush and woods and wait to attck at the right time. If nothing else, I do commend them for thier ability to move large numbers of soldiers undetected.

It may not be much, but the more you know of your enemy the better. As the great tactician Monom Sodellogum said "Know your enemy, and know yourself, and you needn't fear the outcome of a hundred battles." Of course my paralell is "The more you know, the easier it is to kick thier collective asses."

Signed, Col. Fischer.

[Not great, but meh. Just shits and giggles. This would have been written during or after breakfast most likely.]

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5249 on: September 09, 2012, 02:06:48 am »

AussieEvil's Lab Journal

I dreamt about my father last night. Not the man married to my mother, the being who took advantage of the poor woman and forced her to bear me. I can still hear those shouts of outrage once everyone, myself included, finally found out about my damned heritage. That was when I was forced to run away.

However, there are times when my mixed heritage has been of use to me. As long as I keep my meager bloodlust sated (the blood-rain seems to do the trick), I can stay active twice as longer as any normal dwarf on the same amount of food and sleep. Alcohol seems to be a non-factor in my endurance, but I still partake normally to keep my mind sharp. These "gifts" have proven to be useful in my "normal" job as a miner (that challenge "Lord" Reudh gave to us still angers me slightly).

On the plus side, blood experiments seemed to have produced an interesting result: when the blood rain is combined with the blood of a rat, it seems to seperate into dark red clumps suspended in a yellowy-clear liquid.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 02:27:13 am by aussieevil »
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...
Pages: 1 ... 348 349 [350] 351 352 ... 815