Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 376 377 [378] 379 380 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2195685 times)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #5655 on: September 26, 2012, 06:21:58 am »

Novel length? Publish that shit. And then we get the lulz of people trying to figure out why so many characters have such wierd names :P
Enh, I don't know. First, I couldn't publish it in good conscience because you guys are so much a part of it. Second, I doubt it's good enough to actually get published, and third, it's way too long for a first novel. :P Publishers generally only accept books that are 80k pages long or so the first time.

It seems to me that trying to do a full retelling of the entire plot will currently just implode. There will be a lot of people, all of whom are working completely gratis in their spare time, and that'll potentially result in a lot of delays. Or casting scrambles if someone flat-out cancels.

We haven't even done a small skit yet. We have no clue how any of this will work out or what sort of problems will come up or anything of the sort. We don't even have a coherent plan for how this will be done that works for everybody involved. I think we should start small, if anywhere, just so that we can work out how to do this in a practical context.

E: I really don't think I'll be doing this, of course, so I'm not sure how much my opinion's worth.
Yeah, there's no way we'd do a full retelling, thus why we said a little skit or something.

I imagine the way it would work is this:
1. Somebody writes up a list of lines, one or two for each character.
2. Everybody does ALL the voices in an mp3/wav/whatever, and everybody decides who's best at what.
3. Script is written, we do our voices and upload them.
4. Somebody arranges them, maybe adds sound effects (possibly even musics!).
5. ? ? ?
6. Profit.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5656 on: September 26, 2012, 06:34:13 am »

I was being funny about the publishing thing. So, adamintine roadway to hell house: Too much or not enough? Cause the whole structure is half finished and composed almost solely of iron qith a gold bridge.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5657 on: September 26, 2012, 01:05:56 pm »

Lol, all right. I'm considering extracting V's story and putting it in its own thread at some point, though... but that seems like it might be taken as rather self-important... even though I've put a lot of time into it.

As to the constructions in our alternate timeline... Too much? Are you kidding? This is Spearbreakers, man. We don't just pave our roads with gold, we pave them with a whole buttload of gold, and then some adamantine besides. :D

I'm mostly done with the next chapter (which means Reudh can finally finish his turn) but I still need to edit/proofread... this chapter is slowing me down even more than the one before, for various reasons. :-\ I may also wind up doing quite a bit of yardwork this afternoon, too, like I had to do the past few days.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5658 on: September 26, 2012, 01:18:16 pm »

So nothing but adamantine furniture down there it is. Boy will I have some primo digs for the monarch (they say dwarves must always dig deeper, well guess what assholes! We dug deeper alright, and our monarch lives in hell itself!)

If we do decide to become the capital, it'll be because the queen (we have a queen right?) came for a royal inspection of the fortress and it's combat troops and was unable to leave due external forces (Siege? Timewar? Blockade?You decide!)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5659 on: September 26, 2012, 01:27:52 pm »

Lol, sounds good to me. That throne room sounds seriously pimped out. :D

As to the second part, I have a question I'm going to ask you in PM... I kinda need permission for it, I guess, though in the long run, it may or may not change anything.

soulslicerjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5660 on: September 26, 2012, 02:26:01 pm »

As to the constructions in our alternate timeline... Too much? Are you kidding? This is Spearbreakers, man. We don't just pave our roads with gold, we pave them with a whole buttload of gold, and then some adamantine besides. :D

Then we line the sides with the heads of spawn and demons on pikes as a way of telling others "Don't dare f*** with us."

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5661 on: September 26, 2012, 02:36:09 pm »

Also once we successfully take hell, if the enmy ever said "Go to hell dwarf!" Then that soldier could say "I will after I kill you. There's a party in the queen's dining hall down there."

Also, not to spoil anything, but I think that this one sentence sums up absolutly everything we've done overall:

"Spearbreaks: A horrible fortress filled with wonderful people."

And giant emus that eat goblin heads.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5662 on: September 26, 2012, 04:42:23 pm »

So... What would we be singing? I saw someone mention that... Would we be writing parodies of popular songs?

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5663 on: September 26, 2012, 07:46:42 pm »

So... What would we be singing? I saw someone mention that... Would we be writing parodies of popular songs?
I started writing a sort of western/southern ballad thing, part spoken, part sung. Chorus would contain:

"Colonel Fischer, that dwarf of olden lore
    "Ain't god or man can save you when she's knocking at your door"

I planned to add things like how she swims the magma sea to hell, melts her way through candy, and kills the Devil with a stare.

"And says she to the Devil, 'Let me cut you down to size'
    "He's hardly started laughing when she's done it with her eyes"

And other timeless bits like,

"And if you ever find you're on the wrong end of her pike
    "You'll be dead in point-two seconds and she'll never have to strike"

Parodies of popular songs would work, I guess, yeah. :P Then we wouldn't have to write our own music. Or play it. I play a guitar, but that's it. And not as well as Toady One.

Also once we successfully take hell, if the enmy ever said "Go to hell dwarf!" Then that soldier could say "I will after I kill you. There's a party in the queen's dining hall down there."
"Used to be I could say, 'Go to Hell', but we've brightened the place up, and honestly, Hell's too nice for you. Instead of that... Go to Fischer."

Also, not to spoil anything, but I think that this one sentence sums up absolutly everything we've done overall:

"Spearbreakers: A horrible fortress filled with wonderful people."
Awesome, is that a quote now? :D I haven't even posted that yet.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5664 on: September 26, 2012, 08:22:22 pm »

I likes it talvi. A few more lines, and i'll deep voice it like you see in the movies.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5666 on: September 27, 2012, 09:56:34 am »

I find the lack of activity disturbing gentlemen. Also: Eh, not really my cup of tea as far as music goes, but whatever floats your boat.

This fortress will need no forlorn song as it dies, for the the battle that will be our end shall serve as a fitting swan song alone.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5667 on: September 27, 2012, 09:59:12 am »

Aaaaand... Bump. :P
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #5668 on: September 27, 2012, 12:55:31 pm »

As spearbreakers falls, we will need to play this song, I think. Fitting.

My rabid fanboyism towards all things Zelda-related forces me to approve. And it's from Majora's Mask, too. I love Majora's Mask ;_;

Quote from: Talvieno
[...] Go to Fischer [...]

That entire quote is hilarious and needs to be preserved somewhere. The song lyrics are cool, though poetry is an utter cipher to me (and music isn't much better) so I can't offer anything beyond that.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5669 on: September 27, 2012, 12:57:50 pm »

Ah fanboyism, ain't you just grand?

Also I feel like something bad is going to happen to the fortress soon. WHY DO I FEEL LIKE SOME HORRIBLE CATASTROPHE IS GOING TO HAPPEN SOON.
Pages: 1 ... 376 377 [378] 379 380 ... 815