Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 378 379 [380] 381 382 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2192389 times)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #5685 on: September 28, 2012, 09:51:26 am »

That was great, Reudh! I like how you had Fischer talking to little Lokum... it reflects how she's friends with a couple children pretty well. :) Nice addition.
    The part with Vanya amused me greatly, especially this:
Quote from: Lord Reudh
I had to raise the alarm. Vanya wanted me to.
You did an awesome job with making it humorous, in my opinion. lol

One thing, though - Vanya is just about as tall as any other dwarf. :P
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5686 on: September 28, 2012, 10:01:35 am »

Actually I think elves are a little bit bigger than most dwarves. Compared to a dwarf like hans though she probably would have looked normal.

And it's a little messed up when you think the only reason Fischer has anything past long term aquaintences is because kids will sit and talk to thier parents and thier squadmates while they train.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5687 on: September 28, 2012, 10:09:01 am »

Actually I think elves are a little bit bigger than most dwarves. Compared to a dwarf like hans though she probably would have looked normal.

And it's a little messed up when you think the only reason Fischer has anything past long term aquaintences is because kids will sit and talk to thier parents and thier squadmates while they train.

Dwarves:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Elves:

It's the same. :P Dwarves are stronger, though... but elves and dwarves are pretty much the same size.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5688 on: September 28, 2012, 10:10:45 am »

That's wierd then. I always saw them as slightly taller (enough to stand out, but not by much.)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5689 on: September 28, 2012, 10:18:25 am »

Elsewhere, yeah. :P Especially Tolkienized elves... but this is Dwarf Fortress, and DF elves are different. (I didn't know til I started modding and tried to make a dwarf/elf cross. lol)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 10:21:41 am by Talvieno »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5690 on: September 28, 2012, 10:23:04 am »

I didn't mean THAT much taller. I mean like average dwarf, average elf, and, lack of beard aside, I just always saw elves in DF as at least a slight bit above eye level of a dwarf (the short jokes that thier diplomat seems to toss out don't help.)

tomio175

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5691 on: September 28, 2012, 10:25:54 am »

Tomio's Journal. More of a video log.

NINJA'D SIX TIMES?!
...You're arguing with the GM? Why don't you argue with Jesus about how much Peter liked clams?
Because each player's delicious tears are fuel for the continued torture that is the Warrens of Oric the Awesome.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5692 on: September 28, 2012, 10:33:10 am »

Adamantine plated automaton. Why is it I imagined it like some kind of hilariously implausible battlesuit coming out of a rucksack?

And I had just assumed he'd sicked his crazy robot-shark thing on them :P

And I had an idea regarding a necromancer turning a parasol battlesuit on it's allies by killing and raising the operator. But a technomancer sounds much nastier, because it seems you implied they don't need that operator dead first to make his suit shoot his friends.

tomio175

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5693 on: September 28, 2012, 11:08:25 am »

Adamantine plated automaton. Why is it I imagined it like some kind of hilariously implausible battlesuit coming out of a rucksack?

And I had just assumed he'd sicked his crazy robot-shark thing on them :P

And I had an idea regarding a necromancer turning a parasol battlesuit on it's allies by killing and raising the operator. But a technomancer sounds much nastier, because it seems you implied they don't need that operator dead first to make his suit shoot his friends.
Tomio IS the suit... MUHAHAHAHA
...You're arguing with the GM? Why don't you argue with Jesus about how much Peter liked clams?
Because each player's delicious tears are fuel for the continued torture that is the Warrens of Oric the Awesome.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5694 on: September 28, 2012, 11:26:29 am »

Gotta watch out for those kinds of game breaker things man, just saying. We're letting alot of shit slide cause it can be more realistically (for DF) justified. Besides, roboshark is funnier and this mess needs some funny after a bunch of soldiers getting fragged and a kid having a mental breakdown.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5695 on: September 28, 2012, 01:03:25 pm »

@talvieno: it's not your story, it's the overall... Everything.spearbreakers was a normal fort with a spawn problem. That is what attracted extradimesional attention. If neither company had shown up, nothing would really have happened. But BECAUSE neither company had a presence, that presence HAD to be put in place. The absence seemed to have compelled it. Like i said, i can't rightly explain it.
EDIT: Any complaints about rose and halen? Anyone? Anyone?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 01:08:04 pm by Xahnel »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5696 on: September 28, 2012, 01:11:10 pm »

Rose and Halen are passable as an explanation being they were used for a bonding expierment between critter A and hominid thing B. But halen's overall harmless ness msot of the time cause them to be left in the NOT KILLY ENOUGH bin. Cue adoption, lies by adoptive parents, and the rest is history.

I dunno though.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #5697 on: September 28, 2012, 01:36:01 pm »

Quote from: Xahnel
Any complaints about Rose and Halen?

Don't taunt the cobra, dear ;)

RE: Elf/Dwarf Size Discrepancy:

Remember, BODY_SIZE measures volume, not just height. I always figured that elves were narrower than humans and dwarves were shorter and a bit wider. Vanya only passed because nobody ever really payed enough attention to her to notice she was squatting down or whatever (dorf!Talvi did, but then dorf!Talvi is... well, dorf!Talvi).
    By the above, Mr Frog is likely roughly SIZE:45000, since he isn't as wide as the dwarves.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5698 on: September 28, 2012, 01:56:41 pm »

@Tomio: While I intentionally left it open so that if you wanted to keep Tomio's appearance, you could have whatever you wanted happen... I agree with Splint - I think the adamantine bronze colossus battlesuit thing is a bit overpowered, too...

@talvieno: it's not your story, it's the overall... Everything.spearbreakers was a normal fort with a spawn problem. That is what attracted extradimesional attention. If neither company had shown up, nothing would really have happened. But BECAUSE neither company had a presence, that presence HAD to be put in place. The absence seemed to have compelled it. Like i said, i can't rightly explain it.
EDIT: Any complaints about rose and halen? Anyone? Anyone?
Parasol was already there. Parasol showed up originally because of what happened at Headshoots. They took Holistic Detective and bred her, basically... And then stuff just went downhill from there.

Remember, BODY_SIZE measures volume, not just height. I always figured that elves were narrower than humans and dwarves were shorter and a bit wider. Vanya only passed because nobody ever really payed enough attention to her to notice she was squatting down or whatever (dorf!Talvi did, but then dorf!Talvi is... well, dorf!Talvi).
    By the above, Mr Frog is likely roughly SIZE:45000, since he isn't as wide as the dwarves.
Objection! Though I acknowledge your superior modding capabilities, this is actually incorrect.
Code: [Select]
   [BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:HEIGHT:125:125:125:125:125:125:125]The above line of code forces the game to make the description for creature X (whatever creature you stick the code on) say that creature X is abnormally tall. Setting all the 125's to 75 makes the game say that the creature is abnormally short. As both elves and dwarves share the same BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER code, there is absolutely nothing in-game that makes them look different from each other. It's possible this was an oversight by Toady, but whether it is or not, the dwarves and elves of Spearbreakers are the exact same size - except for muscle mass.

I always figured
The above basically says "The following is pure speculation", anyway. :P
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 01:58:48 pm by Talvieno »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5699 on: September 28, 2012, 02:01:42 pm »

I find it odd we're actually discussing costructive things here.
Pages: 1 ... 378 379 [380] 381 382 ... 815