Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 386 387 [388] 389 390 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2191567 times)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #5805 on: October 03, 2012, 05:21:09 pm »

Spoiler: Journal of Mr Frog (click to show/hide)

I'm probably fucking something up by posting this... Probably shouldn't take it seriously. I'm just bored right now.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5806 on: October 03, 2012, 06:02:21 pm »

It's a good read, Froggie. I don't see how you could screw anything up by it, the story works pretty independently of the canon while still being close to it.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5807 on: October 03, 2012, 06:07:01 pm »

Hehe. 'The Scythod never encountered anything like |me|...'

Mr Frog: Scarier than anything evolution on the most horrifying planet in existence can produce. Also, likes birds.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5808 on: October 03, 2012, 07:02:36 pm »

mr frog, im pretty sure i already have said this, but you are a GOD.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5809 on: October 03, 2012, 07:04:29 pm »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5810 on: October 03, 2012, 09:01:49 pm »

They've also never run into railguns, mughammers, and disc launchers all designed by a drug-addled bioengineer who dabblies in making weapons that may or may not function totally right at first glance. :P

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #5811 on: October 04, 2012, 01:34:07 am »

A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5812 on: October 04, 2012, 06:51:39 am »

A god that melts in gnomeblight. ;D
Bravo, Mr Frog, bravo. :)

I regret I haven't really had much time on lately, so I haven't managed to make a Talvi journal entry. :-\ I think I'm going to try to scramble one together now...

The Journal of Talvi Diamondknight, 16th of Opal, 208
The pages are finely nibbled around the edges, as if she wanted to eat them but was worried about her writing remaining intact.
I got V... I got 'er, I did. She was stealin' Mr Frog right out from unner me, and sleepin' wit' him in 'is room. I'd rather a badger borrow feathers from an emu than  know what they was doin' in there t'gether. I knew somethin' was wrong with 'er from the moment I saw 'er in the hallway. It was a coupla years ago, afore she started bein' in Mr Frog's room all the time: she took down four soldiers in th'hallway - I saw it, I did, hidin' across the way. Ain't no god 'cept Fischer could do it like that, and she's a dark god, she is. V did it as easy as sloppin' fish around in a nest box. I knew then that she weren't a dwarf or elf no more.

Mr Frog screwed the cavy tunnel shut, so I couldn't get her while she slept, but I watched. I waited. I knew someday, she'd slip up... but I didn' want her to attack me like she did those other folks. Iss okay, tho - I got her. Nobody can know. I'm the only one who knows she's not like us, and they'd kill me for it. I don't see why I didn't never take her ou'side and leave 'er, tho, same's when the troll was wooin' the pitchfork. That woulda worked right fine. She trusted me, she did. If she hain't, it wouldna been so easy to take'r out, and I still had to wait 'til she was tired.

But now Mr Frog should be mine. There ain't nobody else who loves him like I does, I swear. Even the disciples of The Master ain't got no love of their master like I do for my Mr Frog. I know 'im better'n anyones. I know his moss tunnels unner the fortress. I know his weapons. I know what he likes to drink and what he smokes whene'er he's alone.

But he don' love me.
Not e'en with V outta the picshur.
Least he didn' grieve her much.

I ain't got the slightest idea why he won't love me none. I'm a sweet gurl, I is. Honest to Fischer I am. I'd give ever mug I own t'be his girl, an' some cavies besides. I got cavies - did I mention that? Splint an' Reudh were right nice folks an' got me some. I like Reudh, but ever'one says there's somethin' wrong with him, like he ain't right in the head'r somethin'. He don't fare too well in shoutin' matches, neither. There was times when I said to myself, I said, "Talvi... Why don't he jus' make like snakes and drop his legs somewhere?" It woulda made 'im think faster, I'm right sure 'bout that.

I'm gettin' distracted again, dear me. Iss okay, tho. All's okay. But Mr Frog'd better look my way soon... It's like when the cavy said to the turtle, "soup? I'll eat it." 'cept it weren't soup, y'know? I'm gettin' mighty tired o' Mr Frog not lookin' my way. 'Course, iss hardly been a week since V died... Urist keeps lookin' for her, poor fool. I told 'im they got her, but he wouldn' believe me. He jes keeps lookin'. Anyhow, I'll give Mr Frog a couple more months... I ain't gonna wait forever.
The message ends in a series of scribbles converging in a crude broken heart.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 07:17:45 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5813 on: October 04, 2012, 01:55:43 pm »

mr frog, for that, you are a god among gods. only slightly below the great Toady 1. now if you only made more mods and posted them...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

soulslicerjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5814 on: October 04, 2012, 03:55:41 pm »

Wait, ballpoint created the Scythod?  I thought they came about through natural means and became a menace purely through being so dangerous without any outside interference (or or at least none involving anything below an ingame god).

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5815 on: October 04, 2012, 04:16:09 pm »

I figured they arrived by some engineered metorstorm, or some sturdy larval forms did or something. Personally I blame the Sequivet. They dumped the Scythod here to clean it out, and will arrive to find the local populous..... Less than willing to lie down and die.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5816 on: October 04, 2012, 05:05:48 pm »

Scythods weren't created by Ballpoint, no. They evolved on a distant planet, Ballpoint found them and thought they'd make great soldiers. The Seqivet were originally the ones that brought the scythods over to dwarfworld, but that was in Mr Frog's mod, back when it was still in business. Now, it has to be Ballpoint... otherwise it makes no sense that Ballpoint could've "hired" them.

They were originally going to have eyes, something Mr Frog strongly detested and finally did away with altogether (and I'll admit, I like them better without eyes now). This is from a PM where I was explaining them, minus the part about the eyes. It does a pretty good job of explaining my thoughts behind the scythod, and their homeworld. It also does a good job of demonstrating that I'm a major astronomy buff, though that wasn't my intention. :P

Spoiler: Wall of Text (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 05:10:15 pm by Talvieno »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5817 on: October 04, 2012, 05:30:14 pm »

I just blamed the sequivet because we've got portal systems sure, but even I'm against space travel where it isn't a major element of normal life.

How I looked at it: The seqivet found them, and decide to use them as a sort of biological pest control, dumping them on world they want for colonizing or research (they strike me as very scientifically minded for some reason.) Sure finding living animal species to study would be abitch this way, but on the plus side tehy'd have a wealth of other life to study along with with the mineral wealth of the planets they take. The Scythod get to spread, the Sequivet get soldiers and research material/living space if they decide they want it. otherwise, the Sequivet are just galactic scale trolls of unparralelled dickery who throw an almost perfect death machine at planets for shits and giggles.

Skip ahead in time and the Scythod found this world full of edible critters. Edible critters who don't like being attacked, and tend to object with all manner of nasty implements they've never even 'seen' before, ranging from swords and hatchets all the way up to (even further along) flamers and armored vehicles they can't cut into. As they aren't mere animals, they'd see the logic in accpeting aid as thier 'prey' deployed newer and more effective weapons faster than they could adapt. Some would also see benefit in trying to integrate into other soceities for protection and acess to what they consider precious resources, or hiring themselves out as mercenaries so they can be directed to prey and earn allies they might be able to call on in the future if they find a foe they can't beat alone. This gives us the likes of those in Sewaturet (who've integrated more or less into a society of other creatures to reap the benfits, and may serve in military or sanitation roles if they're opprotunists who'll partake in carrion if they're hungry at the time) and the Scythod employed by Ballpoint (They get to fight and prove themselves better warriors, if they fall under a culturally militant race, and more often then not, the bodies of the enemy are free game for consumption.)

In the future aspect (post Spearbreakers II at the least) They're often given a sort of artificial head mounted on thier  mouthstalks so they can make use of the well lit surroundings and tell friend from foe when fighting with nonscythods on thier side. A headshot then would probably scare the living shit out of somebody who popped one of these "heads" and all it did was piss the alien slashy thing off and now it's coming at you screaming obscenities in some terrifying clicky language with some jarring dwarven or whatever other languages they may have learned mixed in about thier heads being expensive to replace.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5818 on: October 04, 2012, 05:53:16 pm »

I never said space travel. Portals can be used for that. Seqivet bringing them and just dumping them on a planet that they have no attachments to makes no sense at all, and the idea of them choosing this one planet out of trillions of potential planets is so nutty I don't even want to think about it. :P Seqivet would have no problem with simply coming down and exploring themselves, anyway - they're masters of stealth.

Ballpoint, on the other hand, employs other species as part of their troops. This is most readily apparent in how they were trying to redesign the Holistic Spawn for use in their military. I don't think it was drop pods that Mr Frog saw, though, but orbital strikes. Nice job with choosing the mountains, though - it's a scythod's natural habitat. :P
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 05:55:37 pm by Talvieno »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5819 on: October 04, 2012, 06:01:18 pm »

How do you map out a planet for a portal jump without going there first though. Hence my outlook.
Pages: 1 ... 386 387 [388] 389 390 ... 815