Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2179021 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs.
« Reply #675 on: March 25, 2012, 10:17:24 pm »

Last? Does that mean Draig isn't doing Winter? Booooo. :'(

What? Since when?

I've gotten a bit slowed down unfortunately, I'M STILL WORKING ON IT THOUGH! (That and everything else.)

I've been trying to come up with something, but I don't seem to be in the proper mental state right now due to depressing revelations regarding the effects of lower-than-Earth surface gravity on a planet's potential habitability (My aliens! Nooooo!)

What are the specifics of the problem?

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: March 25, 2012, 11:22:42 pm »

Okay, problem, big one. Type: Bug.

The Master, as you all know, entered a strange mood. He took a single blue garnet. The first time this happened he made the artifact fine, he started work, he ended work. Since it all went without a hitch I didn't give it a further thought. On that same save I then proceeded to test another theory of anti-spawn warfare (keeping the fight entirely underground), which failed massively. I savescummed of course and went back one, even hoping that the Master would crap out something even better this time around.

He just went insane.

I've tried to get him to make the artifact without going insane (three times now), but now every time I load up the save from my last restore point he "works furiously" and then goes insane mid-fall.

So, the spawn corrupt your fucking save files and make your Dwarves go insane through time and space.

Is there any way to handle this?

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: March 25, 2012, 11:27:10 pm »

I've never encountered this.... Lock him in. Looks like a relative will unfortuantly have to take over if it continues. Shame too, I was enjoying his psychosis, though I can say it's justified that he finally went off his rocker.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: March 25, 2012, 11:30:08 pm »

I've never encountered this.... Lock him in. Looks like a relative will unfortuantly have to take over if it continues. Shame too, I was enjoying his psychosis, though I can say it's justified that he finally went off his rocker.

He's stark raving mad, which I suppose is a good thing since it means will be able to get to the valuable gear he was wearing faster. It does mean that we've also lost one of our best fighting dwarves.

Well it's a damn good thing I'm construction a super-weapon to OHKO a group of spawn, hopefully it will render the military obsolete.
---

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: March 25, 2012, 11:33:15 pm »

I think this is an absolutely BRILLIANT opportunity for roleplay.

Also, bad Draignean, you're supposed to make the backup before flinging our military into a meatgrinder. Like, immediately before :p
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: March 25, 2012, 11:33:41 pm »

Hey now, that was part of the point! A disproportionally large army to fight the coming darkness!
And we can always train up a replacement if it's unavertable. A more level-headed cousin perhaps...

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: March 25, 2012, 11:49:14 pm »

Hey now, that was part of the point! A disproportionally large army to fight the coming darkness!
And we can always train up a replacement if it's unavertable. A more level-headed cousin perhaps...

Oh fine, we can keep the military, but leave me my doomsday device. (Besides, making the doomsday device creates another permanent entrance, thirty more bridges, and +75K Urists worth of lever in the process, so win-win. :P)

Also, for The Master's replacement, I've got a Dwarf already picked out if The Master wants another military dwarf.

His last name is SteelCrazy. (Which is fitting for The Master in all sorts of ways)
---

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: March 25, 2012, 11:52:03 pm »

Is the doomsday device a 75-tile-long hallway lined with bridges? Because I'd like to think that we're at least classier than that.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: March 25, 2012, 11:57:36 pm »

They're not classy?  :(
I've never made one before, usually I use core depth dodge this traps. I thought this would be cooler.
---

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: March 26, 2012, 12:10:36 am »

Aw, hate that The Master died... That seriously sucks.

Nah, bridgetraps generally aren't that classy, per se... They're too easy, you know? You can't lose. Just set a dwarf to autopull and you're done, siege comes in, nothing comes out. Plus, how would you roleplay it? "Yeah, the spawn came in, and the bridges that were flying up and down faster than the eye could see smashed them all into nothingness. Literally nothingness. It's like they never existed..." *cue Doctor Who theme with the cracks in the universe*

MINES. DROPPING A CEILING ON THE WHOLE MAP. CAVY WARRIORS FROM AFAR.

This is Spearbreakers. We have to live up to its name, see?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: March 26, 2012, 12:17:57 am »

Eh, savescum rebuild and see if I can jumpstart the master it is then.  Maybe if I forbid the garnets he already has...

So, for Dwarfy traps. Which ones are preferred.

Dodge this with massive falls
Drowning trap
A corridor with rigged ceiling tiles
Millions of iron pikes rigged into the floor (They can be used in upright weapon traps, can't they?)
Fake floor traps
---

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: March 26, 2012, 12:25:13 am »

Hmm.........

I vote the fake floors if the can be rigged to drop in rapid succession, doge pits, and the pike traps.

Drowing traps won't work on the spawn, and they're pretty much the main opposition, as our soldiers have proven more than a match for the goblins and the Barbarians have yet to even try to attack (Likely due to thier scouts dying in droves.)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: March 26, 2012, 12:27:35 am »

Hmmm...

Dodge trap... dwarfy, very Spearbreakers.
Drowning trap... probably useless against spawn, I don't know... Mr Frog - do they breathe?
Rigged ceiling tiles... Probably dwarfyish, yeah.
Millions of iron pikes... Ehhh... maybe... I don't like the weapon traps idea.
Fake floor trap... That's one I haven't heard of before. I'm not sure how it works. lol

You could set a floating ring above a section/hallway of constructed floor and trigger it with a lever to drop the whole thing a number of z-levels... That'd be dwarfy. One-shot, yeah, but one-shot is the most awesome. Let the later overseers worry with how to deal with the spawn on their own, after they waste your trap on a few gobbos. :D Fun.

EDIT: Ninja'd. And Splint has the final say anyway. :P
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: March 26, 2012, 12:35:37 am »

Spawn do not breathe. They only kill.

I say upright-spike Dodge-Me trap with more upright spikes in the bottom. And upright spikes in the dining room, because why not.

I think by "Fake Floor" he means a 2xN hallway floored with floor grates, which open immediately and don't fling things standing on them.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: March 26, 2012, 12:36:50 am »

open for debate. We'll see what theothers have in mind...
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 815