Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 463 464 [465] 466 467 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178590 times)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #6960 on: December 14, 2012, 01:32:24 am »

Good sir Frog, have you seen met me before? Need I recall the great of the shitstorm of.... Whenever the hell I flipped my lid? *Dramatic voice* At you're more civil about it.

Oh god I am now sorely tempted to compile an index of every single time you and I have flipped our respective shits over trivialities in this thread, just for comparison. Does that make me a bad person?

Incidentally, is the TinyChat ever active anymore, or have I just picked bad times to go on and check?
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6961 on: December 14, 2012, 01:34:14 am »

Me and Corai are usually on the one on the OP. but that one was being uppity so I can provide a link on request.

Otherwise yes, just bad timing.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6962 on: December 14, 2012, 08:44:54 am »

Someone has stated a very strong dislike of my last post... I'd like to withdraw it until I get it sorted out in PM.

?That seems very weird I don't see what they have to dislike.
Thanks, Zacen. :)

At Reudh's suggestion, I ran Katie and Vanya through The Universal Mary Sue Litmus Test because Mr Frog said Katie was a screaming Mary Sue. Katie got:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Giving her a total of 5: "Most likely Not-Sue. Characters at this level could probably take a little spicing up without hurting them any."

And Vanya's results:
This gives her a total of 7. Same thing: "Most likely Not-Sue. Characters at this level could probably take a little spicing up without hurting them any."

Note that I don't personally consider those tests complete... The magic systems themselves can be overpowered. I've tried to balance that out: Using only (or even primarily) magic in combat would be utterly pointless, as you'd definitely annoy your god. They don't want to do your job for you. lol  I've never heard of any Greek/Norse/Egyptian/Other god that did. I've also tried to keep the spells themselves from being overpowered: you'll note that the icy shards Katie sent at Vanya couldn't even pierce the dirt wall behind her.

NOW, IN RESPONSE TO WHAT I'VE BEEN ACCUSED OF:
    Yes, I think I did go a little overboard with the spell descriptions and made them too flashy. I was trying to express Vanya's fascination with it all, and I think I went a little too far. Not with the "magic arrow" spell, though. Glowing lights that hit stuff isn't that much. (to be completely fair, Mr Frog, you've spent multiple paragraphs describing alien species. :P (meant as a playful jest, not an accusation))
    The prayer magic does have well-defined rules. I just haven't written them down. I shall therefore spend the morning writing "A Treatise on Prayer Magic", as per Reudh's excellent PM'd suggestion.

Someone has stated a very strong dislike of my last post... I'd like to withdraw it until I get it sorted out in PM.

?That seems very weird I don't see what they have to dislike.

It was me, and I've since withdrawn my criticism. If it helps, I feel terrible.
Please don't feel terrible. You pointed out an issue I needed to address, and you know I love debates. I was actually more unhappy that you apologized and stopped the debate short, rather than at anything you said. It's just your opinion. If you don't like one or more of my characters, I don't feel offended by it - though I would like to address the issues you mention.

I took it all very seriously because my brother (Orodogoth) reads the chapters before I post them, and he didn't like the magic idea. He said something akin to "It sounds dumb."

[...] it is brilliant when we look back and laugh at the old rants that no longer apply.
I feel the strong need to say... THIS.

an edit: magic is difficult to visually describe. :-\
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 07:37:39 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6963 on: December 14, 2012, 11:23:58 am »

Okay, proposed Magic Treatise:
(open for improvement, and I may have forgotten a thing or two in my three-hour mad rush) (i.e. feedback, please)

I still feel iffy about it. But, people wanted magic, so... here's my best attempt. I actually won't be using magic much at all during the course of Vanya's story, honestly. lol   At least, I don't have plans to do so as of yet.

this will be edited if/when proposed changes are made and agreed upon.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 11:29:56 am by Talvieno »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6964 on: December 14, 2012, 11:47:26 am »

Excellent indeed good sir. That seems to establish quite the set of rules there (And at least saved yourself on the extra showy descriptions in there :P)

Makes me want to do a guide to weapons and technology of the different factions (At least Ballpoint and Parasol, with touching on Sewaturet, Eris, and Stone)

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
  • And again everything goes wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6965 on: December 14, 2012, 01:55:57 pm »

Oh and since the subject was on it if I ever catch up with both the turns and stories and if I decide to critique anything. I am going to warn you now I go a tad overboard when i critique its never anything personal I just make sure to be through or to put it better what I say is mostly the critic me talking not the Zacen you would normally see. The same thing happens when I teach people certain things. I have a tendency to go a bit crazy (but well meaning) when things like that pop up. Now that probably looks like a bunch of ranting and it is. Now I must wander off to get rid of this horrible headache.
I (somehow) wield a marble coffin that i fill with the corpses of all I have slain (to make an already heavy object even heavier) in one hand, and the other holds a book made out out of fucking platinum. The book can crush skulls, and the coffin grows ever stronger and now that is has a few dead dragons in it, it sends people flying a mile backwards to explode in a pile of gore. Gore which I then place into the coffin,

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6966 on: December 14, 2012, 02:05:54 pm »

Welp, my adventuerer and two barbarian companions made it to Spearbreakers. And were ambushed by a troll in the central armory. I have found the artifact blowgun someone made, a masterwork mug, a set of masterwork iron boots, mail shirt, breatplate, and helm, an -adamantine longsword-, corai's artifact leather armor, and I have yet to meet any of the survivors. The troll was named and geared, so there's at least three or so spawn roaming around as well, and Ashsaber and Softa may be loose as well. Wish the expedition luck!

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6967 on: December 14, 2012, 02:20:20 pm »

I didn't intend to express that Katie herself was a Sue; just that the wings were a huge, huge red flag to me. They're the exact combination of 'pointlessly-showy' and 'physically-inexplicable' (even for magic) that makes me reflexively want to SMAAAAASH. Katie as a whole isn't a Sue, but the wings were still annoyingly Sueish. Does that make sense?

If it makes anyone feel better, I remember running Mr Frog through my favourite such litmus test and I'm pretty sure it nearly exploded.

The rules for magic seem comprehensive, at least. There's a lot of things in there that irritate me, but I don't think pleasing me should be a priority, seeing as how it's pretty much impossible to do so anyway.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6968 on: December 14, 2012, 02:28:11 pm »

Hey, at least dorf/gnome!Mr Frog was pulled off well compared to other horrible things I've read elsewhere in the cesspits of the internet.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6969 on: December 14, 2012, 02:35:24 pm »

I didn't intend to express that Katie herself was a Sue; just that the wings were a huge, huge red flag to me. They're the exact combination of 'pointlessly-showy' and 'physically-inexplicable' (even for magic) that makes me reflexively want to SMAAAAASH. Katie as a whole isn't a Sue, but the wings were still annoyingly Sueish. Does that make sense?
Yes it does, which is why I'll be toning I toned down the description.

If it makes anyone feel better, I remember running Mr Frog through my favourite such litmus test and I'm pretty sure it nearly exploded.
Yes, I did that too. >.> On the one Reudh gave me, it scored 23... after I took out all the stuff about the name, which had bumped it up to 41. (let's be realistic, this is a succession game. of course you're going to name a character after you.) Still, I considered Dorf!Frog acceptable, as his RL!counterpart had actually created the Holistic Spawn raws himself.

The rules for magic seem comprehensive, at least. There's a lot of things in there that irritate me, but I don't think pleasing me should be a priority, seeing as how it's pretty much impossible to do so anyway.
sigh... yeah. The whole thing irritates me. I'm of the opinion that the rules should fit the story, not the other way around, and that common sense should rule the day. (this is from experience. writing a story set with overly-defined rules can easily KILL the story before it even gets off the ground, and has done so to a number of mine.) From what you know of me, would I use the magic spells constantly, or twist the system to fit my purposes, or to make my characters more badass?
    What issues did you have, though? I'm writing it as much for you as anyone else. Though you do take issue with most of what I do, I feel compelled to resolve it.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 02:38:17 pm by Talvieno »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6970 on: December 14, 2012, 03:13:34 pm »

@Talvi:

I'm writing it as much for you as anyone else.

You shouldn't. I stopped actively reading the story months ago.

I'm of the opinion that the rules should fit the story, not the other way around, and that common sense should rule the day.

If you feel that defining rules for a setting is a bad idea, then don't do it. I very strongly disagree with you, but I'm honestly probably wrong, and there are things I want to do besides browbeat everyone into thinking the exact same way I do.
     This is already getting way out of hand. I renew my request that we just drop this. For my part, I should've just not commented further regarding the treatise. If you want to try to continue this, please do so in PMs.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 03:15:31 pm by Mr Frog »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6971 on: December 14, 2012, 03:23:22 pm »

I seem to be correct, in my assumption of loose prisoners. I'm missing one guy and my crossbowman is suddenly a wrestler. Also don't hesitate to call on a mediator you two.

soulslicerjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6972 on: December 14, 2012, 06:13:27 pm »

Talvi: If it's any help I made a couple posts on how I was assuming magic worked, should I go back and dig them up for you to reference?

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6973 on: December 14, 2012, 06:31:33 pm »

And the million dollar question is...

How can we apply this to everyday life?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6974 on: December 14, 2012, 07:53:54 pm »

I love the treatise, Talvi.

Also, for shits and giggles I'm going to run Lord Reudh through that litmus test.

He scored 14. Not bad, not bad.
Pages: 1 ... 463 464 [465] 466 467 ... 815