Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 482 483 [484] 485 486 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2191140 times)

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #7245 on: January 10, 2013, 02:07:01 am »

No human being alive deserves that torture. D:

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7246 on: January 10, 2013, 02:10:17 am »

it's not torture if I land headfirst. Or if a spawn is stuck down there to finish me off.

I'm not writing any more things for the timewar though. I'll discuss things, but I'm not writing for it anymore.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7247 on: January 10, 2013, 02:14:09 am »

...Is it bad that I have a mental image of you taking a swan dive into the jaws of a Spawn?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7248 on: January 10, 2013, 02:15:18 am »

It'd probably be the preferable fate to reading anything I've written.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7249 on: January 10, 2013, 02:18:13 am »

Now that's just being hard on yourself. You want terrible writing? Look at my pieces!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7250 on: January 10, 2013, 02:19:54 am »

Yours seems deliberately designed to elicit mindfuckery. I reread a bunch of what I wrote. I fucking hate me. How Limulid came from the same writer is beyond me, and probably only functional because I limited the conversation.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7251 on: January 10, 2013, 03:56:54 am »

Yours seems deliberately designed to elicit mindfuckery.

Thanks..?

Anyways, any and all writing can be good. Like music.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #7252 on: January 10, 2013, 05:14:46 am »

I was writing to write

Ask Talvi, me and just about anyone on the thread why they were writing and I'm pretty sure they will give more-or-less this exact answer.

The timewar thing was pretty off-the-cuff and it honestly suffered for it quite a bit, but I've also seen that when you actually take a few moments to think you can come up with brilliant stuff. I don't think the timewar should be declared noncanon, because I think you're more than capable of reconciling whatever issues there may be.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7253 on: January 10, 2013, 05:19:44 am »

@Splint If I can turn a Minecraft WIP mod into Spearbreakers canon, you can make a Spearbreakers timewar into Spearbreakers canon.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #7254 on: January 10, 2013, 05:34:47 am »

Also: If Splint's going into a spike pit for the timewar, than I should probably go in as well for (a) that terrible Eris tangent that sort of wandered around without going anywhere before finally imploding in a puff of logic and (b) that godforsaken audiolog in which I sound like I have some kind of terrible respiratory infection and have been heavily-sedated to dull the pain.

E: Changed the last part a bit for optimum humour.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 07:23:49 am by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7255 on: January 10, 2013, 06:28:17 am »

I dont know if you are still taking new overseers, but ill join up if you are. (perhaps the fort ended, i haven't seen a post resembling an update for a good 10 pages, i gave up at that point.)

If not, awesome read, i am steadily making my way through the gargantuan thread of this fort.
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7256 on: January 10, 2013, 07:39:38 am »

The thread isn't over yet. We're just experiencing framerate issues and typical Spearbreakers slowness - good for stories, but bad for the main flow of events. I'm sure Splint won't mind adding you to the list - and if you stay active enough he may bump you up a few places, like he did with Lolfail.

Splint, as Mr Frog said, if you're getting spiked on the spikebridge, I am too. The past X chapters have been about Vanya's adventures away from Spearbreakers, and right now, she's not even in the same basic universe. The main reason I haven't kicked myself out of the thread is because of your timewar, and the fact that it doesn't take place at Spearbreakers, either. That and Eris. I suppose I should craft a secondary copy of the PDF, sticking to only the main canon, for a faster read... but I don't want our stuff to be taken out altogether.
    Tomio's later stuff doesn't take place at Spearbreakers, either, come to think of it.

I'm not sure... but I'm guessing your main issue is that I pointed out that your stuff indicates that Eris is still around, far in the future, and Mr Frog and I were trying to wrap up the whole Eris tangent by the end of Spearbreakers... How accurate is that?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 07:44:48 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7257 on: January 10, 2013, 08:01:37 am »

The thread isn't over yet. We're just experiencing framerate issues and typical Spearbreakers slowness - good for stories, but bad for the main flow of events. I'm sure Splint won't mind adding you to the list - and if you stay active enough he may bump you up a few places, like he did with Lolfail.

Splint, as Mr Frog said, if you're getting spiked on the spikebridge, I am too. The past X chapters have been about Vanya's adventures away from Spearbreakers, and right now, she's not even in the same basic universe. The main reason I haven't kicked myself out of the thread is because of your timewar, and the fact that it doesn't take place at Spearbreakers, either. That and Eris. I suppose I should craft a secondary copy of the PDF, sticking to only the main canon, for a faster read... but I don't want our stuff to be taken out altogether.
    Tomio's later stuff doesn't take place at Spearbreakers, either, come to think of it.

I'm not sure... but I'm guessing your main issue is that I pointed out that your stuff indicates that Eris is still around, far in the future, and Mr Frog and I were trying to wrap up the whole Eris tangent by the end of Spearbreakers... How accurate is that?

dont stop the fan-fiction!

we dont care if is takes place in Spearbreakers or not. things will get confusing if we don t get the whole story.

At least, dont stop Vanya's Journals. they're the most interesting for me.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 08:05:55 am by kahn1234 »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7258 on: January 10, 2013, 12:13:57 pm »

The time war in general is all well and good, but my contributions were meaningless and because I kept hitting walls and gave myself a headache rereading my own bits in it, I'd rather those be disregarded. At least you guys were working towards actually getting rid of a major enemy, mine would have just ended in a  Pyrrhic victory killing a body double and that would have been the end of it on my part. And no, it wasn't that Eris was still around. I was using the future aspect to allow Eris to not need to hide as much, and recruit from among the local population to help alleviate thier issues with numbers. I've gone with at a certain point they didn't need to hide anymore and could set up 'In-Dimension' fronts to sell weapons, armor, and mercenary/scientific services, with the  majority (including ballpoint who just sees Eris as unwanted competition in the arms market) looking at Eris as just some second rate arms/armor manufacturer who has very little resembling an ethics code for who they sell to. My own part in it would have ended in Eris' In-dimension HQ being attacked by Ballpoint and Sewaturet and ultimately result in Joseph's "face" (Either a behaviorally modified clone or a body double intended to bring in recruits and run things on the ground for him) being killed. With this death, Ballpoint would be completely thrown off of his trail believing his company to be a headless shell (despite they were working for him without their even knowing through use of a seemingly unrelated client) that would implode in on itself.

Sewaturet would be left economically and militarily crippled and unable to do anything else aside from pack up and leave because of the manipulation of two small countries and rebel factions around the city by Joseph. In the end yes, these forces failed miserably, but he still gets the city and its resources after the inhabitants abandon its ruins, which if he can disguise the intent of the reclamation forces he sends, gives him a massive edge in-dimension of having a massive recruitment ground with all the bells and whistles (Extensive research facilities, factories, mines and such.) Whether or not this plan would be able to be used in the end to lash out and at least drive Ballpoint and Parasol from the world by trashing thier own in-dimension HQs before the actual Joseph's death (Be he killed by OG!Mr Frog or Vanya, or even a portal malfunction cutting him in half while fleeing from the two) is sort of up in the air.

Either way, I've hit a roadblock with my stuff I can't bring myself to get around it and after giving myself a monstrous headache, I came to the conclusion how I haven't driven some of you to throw yourself off the fist of rage is beyond me. I have also learned I can't stand breaking paragraphs into units smaller than 3 sentences if the sentances are really short because any smaller groupings look too much like a script to me.

And no, the fort isn't dead. Lolfail's just having performance issues which is making the stupid place uncooperative.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7259 on: January 10, 2013, 12:38:35 pm »

At least, dont stop Vanya's Journals. they're the most interesting for me.
:) Thanks, Kahn. I've been having doubts myself, and I think I needed that.

The time war in general is all well and good, but my contributions were meaningless and because I kept hitting walls and gave myself a headache rereading my own bits in it, I'd rather those be disregarded. At least you guys were working towards actually getting rid of a major enemy, mine would have just ended in a  Pyrrhic victory killing a body double and that would have been the end of it on my part.

And no, the fort isn't dead. Lolfail's just having performance issues which is making the stupid place uncooperative.
Could it not be Joseph's successor, who took the title of Joseph himself? Perhaps, it's the same person in the sense that a king is like to a past king of the same country - "Mr. President" could refer to any number of people, for example.

As to a pyrrhic victory, I've never given Vanya a flawless victory anyway. I think I even named one of my chapters "Pyrrhic Victory". lol

Either way, I don't want you to drop your writing (even despite our frequent clashes over what makes sense technology-wise). I've kept up with it the whole way (though I did get confused at a few places, as you know), and a lot of what I've done has roots in your work. Regardless of what you think of it, I've always enjoyed reading your stuff. I know I don't really have any say in what you choose to do, but I hope my opinion counts for something.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand
Pages: 1 ... 482 483 [484] 485 486 ... 815