Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 492 493 [494] 495 496 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2195108 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #7395 on: January 24, 2013, 09:54:23 am »

Ah dun get it. "Because science" means....?

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7396 on: January 24, 2013, 09:58:38 am »

It means "because I was experimenting and spent an hour messing around with that picture you made, which happens to be one I particularly like, trying to make it look 'old' for no reason other than I wanted to see if I could, and I wanted to see how it would look if I could, in addition to the fact that the Dr. Urist Jones portions of her story are supposed to be written long after she's gone." "Because science" was just a lot simpler to write.

edit: to sum up: I was just experimenting with photoshop and wanted to see if I could make it look like an old, faded photograph.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 10:05:28 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7397 on: January 24, 2013, 10:06:12 am »

Ah. Alright then.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7398 on: January 24, 2013, 10:27:59 am »

You seem vaguely displeased... :( Maybe it's just my overactive imagination, but I don't know.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 10:36:47 am by Talvieno »

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7399 on: January 24, 2013, 11:03:59 am »

Ah. Alright then.

After all, he wrote science, not !!Science!!
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7400 on: January 24, 2013, 11:13:40 am »

Ah. Alright then.

After all, he wrote science, not !!Science!!
Lol, very true. I somehow managed to forget. You can't really call it SCIENCE if it isn't !!ON FIRE!!, after all.

Lennoxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7401 on: January 24, 2013, 05:25:56 pm »

I can't decide on just starting my character's story with an odd back story, or just starting out with his adventures in Spearbreakers. I'm new to this whole writing stories business. I guess all I can do is wait till I get a good look at my character.  :-\

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #7402 on: January 24, 2013, 05:45:12 pm »

I can't decide on just starting my character's story with an odd back story, or just starting out with his adventures in Spearbreakers. I'm new to this whole writing stories business. I guess all I can do is wait till I get a good look at my character.  :-\

Backstory. Backstory first. Always. Even if you don't post it, it helps to have it written down -- the more detailed the better. It'll help make sure everything about your character meshes together properly, and allows you to develop your character organically instead of smashing together a bunch of traits ex nihilo.

It might be best to post a quick summary of your character's backstory, though, so that everyone knows what you're working with and/or can point out problems.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7403 on: January 24, 2013, 07:20:29 pm »

If you have any other characters floating through your mind, why not adapt them? Using ideas in a variety of settings and scenarios helps develop and refine them more than simple thinking.

Spoiler: Pondering (click to show/hide)

Lennoxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7404 on: January 24, 2013, 08:39:08 pm »

Backstory. Backstory first. Always. Even if you don't post it, it helps to have it written down -- the more detailed the better. It'll help make sure everything about your character meshes together properly, and allows you to develop your character organically instead of smashing together a bunch of traits ex nihilo.

It might be best to post a quick summary of your character's backstory, though, so that everyone knows what you're working with and/or can point out problems.
Well, my idea was that he was a young dwarf who was originally in a necromancer's tower who was apart of a group of novice necromancers, however he only learned a little when he causes an accident killing his mentor. The tower's denizens learned too late of his deed when he fled, seeking to forget his necromantic skill and live like a normal person, he learned basic survival skills and fighting skills as he set off for search of a town that knew nothing of him, through this he gained the love for battle and warfare. However, the people back at the tower decided that while he had very little knowledge known of necromancy, he could teach people that one small part and they could easily learn the full secrets of Life and Death with enough careful study and research. So, they send Ark'ensi (Funny name, I know.) to hunt him down or keep him under surveillance if killing wasn't likely. Yet, already Lennox had entered a society to exist normally, and Ark could to nothing except watch from the shadows, where Lennox hardly noticed. The little charade went on when Lennox realized that he could not forget his necromantic knowledge, no matter how small and soon enough the people caught wind of him being a neophyte necromancer, the realization tore him down to severe paranoia of all nearby. At that point, they sent him to an odd fortress called Spearbreakers among other normal people, presumably to die. As he traveled he nearly lost his mind to his paranoia, leaving him with thoughts of fear bouncing in his head for the rest of his days, with his skills of survival barely keeping him alive and well. In the end, he decided he could deny his necromantic fate no longer and embraced it, though without a book about the secrets of Life and Death he is at an impasse. Where Ark remains right now however, remains a mystery.

AND... That's it, its pretty bad. :-[ If I am not allowed to produce a secondary character then feel free to say.

EDIT: I am taking forever to read this thread, and I read the summary posted a few posts ago, yet I still don't know much about the inner workings. So do tell me of my contradictions and impossibilities if needed.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 08:48:05 pm by Lennoxite »

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7405 on: January 24, 2013, 08:55:38 pm »

Well, my idea was that he was a young dwarf who was originally in a necromancer's tower who was apart of a group of novice necromancers, however he only learned a little when he causes an accident killing his mentor. The tower's denizens learned too late of his deed when he fled, seeking to forget his necromantic skill and live like a normal person, he learned basic survival skills and fighting skills as he set off for search of a town that knew nothing of him, through this he gained the love for battle and warfare. However, the people back at the tower decided that while he had very little knowledge known of necromancy, he could teach people that one small part and they could easily learn the full secrets of Life and Death with enough careful study and research. So, they send Ark'ensi (Funny name, I know.) to hunt him down or keep him under surveillance if killing wasn't likely. Yet, already Lennox had entered a society to exist normally, and Ark could to nothing except watch from the shadows, where Lennox hardly noticed. The little charade went on when Lennox realized that he could not forget his necromantic knowledge, no matter how small and soon enough the people caught wind of him being a neophyte necromancer, the realization tore him down to severe paranoia of all nearby. At that point, they sent him to an odd fortress called Spearbreakers among other normal people, presumably to die. As he traveled he nearly lost his mind to his paranoia, leaving him with thoughts of fear bouncing in his head for the rest of his days, with his skills of survival barely keeping him alive and well. Where Ark remains right now however, remains a mystery.

AND... That's it, its pretty bad. :-[ If I am not allowed to produce a secondary character then feel free to say.

EDIT: I am taking forever to read this thread, and I read the summary posted a few posts ago, yet I still don't know much about the inner workings. So do tell me of my contradictions and impossibilities if needed.

That is a really good backstory, actually. Most certainly defeats LFTON's.

That last bit most likely won't make it into canon until the end of Spearbreakers.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 08:57:44 pm by Lolfail0009 »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7406 on: January 25, 2013, 01:11:27 am »

@Lennox:

WARNING: If you've read even 50 pages of this thread, you'll know that I am extremely tactless and cruel when critiquing. Do not click the following spoiler unless you're prepared to handle its contents calmly.

Spoiler: Enter if you dare (click to show/hide)

As far as stepping on toes goes... I did have a necromancer-related plot that I was writing behind the scenes and have recently been giving serious consideration towards resuming, but even that looks more-or-less compatible with this (provided you don't go into too much detail regarding the tower's operations). As far as its interactions with actual canon... I dunno, wait for Talvi to get on tomorrow; he has a better idea of what's going on.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

soulslicerjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7407 on: January 25, 2013, 02:04:00 am »

Is it just me or is this fort starting to attract way more potential necromancers as residents than can written off as coincidence?  Splint, are you sure that when you chose to have Spearbreakers partially situated in an evil biome that the constant rain of blood was the only thing to show for it?

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7408 on: January 25, 2013, 02:16:03 am »

Is it just me or is this fort starting to attract way more potential necromancers as residents than can written off as coincidence?  Splint, are you sure that when you chose to have Spearbreakers partially situated in an evil biome that the constant rain of blood was the only thing to show for it?

(For the record, my necromancer plot was to take place at the tower itself, not at Spearbreakers)

I kind of blame myself for this. It feels like Mr Frog started an arms race of PCs with 'kewl' superpowers or skills. Can't let one's Stu/Sue be less special than the rest, amirite? (No offense to Lennox, who took a different route and made his necro not a full necro.)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7409 on: January 25, 2013, 02:36:54 am »

I take inordinate pride in that Lord Reudh wasn't very Stuish except the whole 'hurriedly learning skills from Fischer so he could flee', though that was over the course of two months or so. :D
Pages: 1 ... 492 493 [494] 495 496 ... 815