Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 493 494 [495] 496 497 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2196308 times)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #7410 on: January 25, 2013, 03:00:31 am »

I take inordinate pride in that Lord Reudh wasn't very Stuish except the whole 'hurriedly learning skills from Fischer so he could flee', though that was over the course of two months or so. :D

Dorf!Reudh is what happens when shit (namely, characterisation) gets done right IMO :)

E: Erm, I don't mean to say that ridiculously-powerful characters can't be well-written, just that they often aren't, the extraneous talents being an attempt at compensating for an inability to develop a character properly a character doesn't have to be OP in order to be interesting, and dorf!Reudh demonstrated that. I think. My memory's hazy. If it turns out dorf!Reudh actually sucked and I'm remembering it differently, then congratulations Reudh on your awesome Jedi mind powers.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 04:37:46 am by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Lennoxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7411 on: January 25, 2013, 04:38:03 am »

@Lennox:

WARNING: If you've read even 50 pages of this thread, you'll know that I am extremely tactless and cruel when critiquing. Do not click the following spoiler unless you're prepared to handle its contents calmly.

Spoiler: Enter if you dare (click to show/hide)

As far as stepping on toes goes... I did have a necromancer-related plot that I was writing behind the scenes and have recently been giving serious consideration towards resuming, but even that looks more-or-less compatible with this (provided you don't go into too much detail regarding the tower's operations). As far as its interactions with actual canon... I dunno, wait for Talvi to get on tomorrow; he has a better idea of what's going on.

Thanks for the critique, I appreciate it. Anyways:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7412 on: January 25, 2013, 04:47:25 am »

In regards to the tower: turns out it's less than a day's march from Spearbreakers. How I didn't notice this is beyond me.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7413 on: January 25, 2013, 05:18:16 am »

@Lennox:

Most of that more-or-less checks out for me now. A big sticking point for me that still remains, though, is Lennox's insistence on forgetting his necromancy. He learned it voluntarily, because he wanted to, yes? Why does he now want to unlearn it? Simply knowing it isn't inherently a problem for him; it's using it or revealing it that he'd have to avoid. (I'm assuming Len got to the point where he lost his mortality, so that'd also start to weird people out after a bit -- 'why isn't this guy aging?')
     I also couldn't quite parse your statement on the cause of his paranoia; becoming paranoid because he can't forget his necromancy makes little sense by itself, though being paranoid because he's worried this'll result in him being discovered (which I assume is what you meant) is sensible.

Also, it may be best to figure out exactly what Lennox's accident was if you haven't already, so you're not caught with your pants down later.

Finally, there's a rather troubling blank spot in your backstory: the period before Lennox became a necromancer. What was he before then? What motivated him to seek out such a stigmatised power? These aren't hard questions to answer, and it'd definitely be a good idea to do so.

You can tell when I'm in a good mood, because the thread suddenly turns into Writer's Workshop. Oopsies.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7414 on: January 25, 2013, 05:26:31 am »

Hey, it gets something productive done so that's what matters.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7415 on: January 25, 2013, 05:40:28 am »

Productivity is certainly a commodity on this thread at times.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7416 on: January 25, 2013, 07:33:14 am »

Damn...I am SOOO disappointed that my turn isn't for another....um probably months, years(?) real life time.....I just got an AMAZING idea of what to do story-wise and if I even get to do it, it will probably be totally irrelevant by then.  :'(
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Lennoxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7417 on: January 25, 2013, 01:47:21 pm »

@Lennox:

Most of that more-or-less checks out for me now. A big sticking point for me that still remains, though, is Lennox's insistence on forgetting his necromancy. He learned it voluntarily, because he wanted to, yes? Why does he now want to unlearn it? Simply knowing it isn't inherently a problem for him; it's using it or revealing it that he'd have to avoid. (I'm assuming Len got to the point where he lost his mortality, so that'd also start to weird people out after a bit -- 'why isn't this guy aging?')
     I also couldn't quite parse your statement on the cause of his paranoia; becoming paranoid because he can't forget his necromancy makes little sense by itself, though being paranoid because he's worried this'll result in him being discovered (which I assume is what you meant) is sensible.

Also, it may be best to figure out exactly what Lennox's accident was if you haven't already, so you're not caught with your pants down later.

Finally, there's a rather troubling blank spot in your backstory: the period before Lennox became a necromancer. What was he before then? What motivated him to seek out such a stigmatised power? These aren't hard questions to answer, and it'd definitely be a good idea to do so.

You can tell when I'm in a good mood, because the thread suddenly turns into Writer's Workshop. Oopsies.

Well, to answer those...
...Besides being a Dabbling Writer with his character's backstory, I'll just wait for my dwarf to appear so I can begin his story.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 07:30:30 pm by Lennoxite »

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7418 on: January 25, 2013, 09:30:42 pm »

And the million dollar question is: Where is Terrahex?

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7419 on: January 27, 2013, 05:34:35 am »

Wooo, this is lucky. RL just freed up enough time to do DF. Downside? I've totally not read this thread for like the last 300 pages so I have no idea what the current story or shit is. Anyway, downloading now to see if I can get an idea of what this madhouse is really like.

Um, guys? I'm starting to think the madhouse ate NCommander.

E: Oh, dear. He also seems to have a turn at Swordthunders coming up, and we know what that means... Meep.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 05:39:13 am by Mr Frog »

Jack Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7420 on: January 27, 2013, 05:50:40 am »

Doing this now before I forget again.

Long story short (mainly because I'm tired, and I can't remember if I actually posted about it before), my internet went out (again) near the end of November. Was out for two weeks or so, but we managed to get internet from a new provider - a highspeed one, in fact. See, turns out that we were able to get highspeed internet back here all along (hell, most of the few neighbors we had already had it), we were always told we couldn't because our house was missing a certain wire or something. I don't really know, but hey, highspeed internet.

I've basically been on a Youtube binge ever since. Growing up on dialup and suddenly being able to watch videos (in HD!) is a huge change.

I more or less forgot to keep checking this topic due to the lack of internet in November, and the subsequent gain of highspeed internet in early December. But hopefully now, my brain will allow me to remember to keep checking in on here. I'm slowly making my way through the pages that have come and gone since the last time I've been on (only 40~ pages, so not too bad), but I am more or less back, although still lurker mode is still probably going to be active unless I have something constructive to say.

Not much else to say. Feels bad that I let myself forget about this topic (again), but glad to be back. And hopefully I won't forget again.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7421 on: January 27, 2013, 06:07:43 am »

@Maggie:

Geez, what is with this topic and hardware malfunctions? >.>;  It seems just posting here exponentially increases the rate of one's internet/computer failing.

Wait... come to think of it, Splint himself hasn't had any issues. HMMMMMM :)

Aerie

• Bay Watcher
  • Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn llyswennod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7422 on: January 27, 2013, 06:33:39 am »

I'm actually doing just fiD̷̛̙͈͚̼̻̣̪̹̞̂͆ͣ̎͑̃̃̄̆̀́͟Ȩ̵̷̵̦̟͉͔̺͕̖̞̞̺͔͕̝̗͇̣̥̘ͭ̍ͮͧͯ̆͗͗̈́ͭͭ̾̚͠H̛͚͓̗̙͈̘̲̘̥͎͈̙͈̹͍͎͊ͣ́ͬ͐̍̑̓ͭ̊̍͛͌̃̒̑́ͬ̃̀Ų̠̩̰͈̭̩͚̲̲̘̦̳ͥ͌ͥ͐ͪ͗̍̿ͪM̡̲̖̻̫̠̫̫̗̯̦͇̱̻̼̅̔ͤͯ̆ͯ͗ͤ̌̽́͂̓ͅA̴̫͙͚͍̖̗̻̭̝̼̼͉͈̝̮͚̎̓ͭ͛ͩ̿̀͒̐͑̿̈́N̸̷̥͈͙̯̼͔̲͓̱̗̩̖̣͒̉͌͋͂̾ͧ̈̽̈́ͤ͂̓́ͅI̶͎͚͕̘̱͓̗̞̳͓͚ͯͤ͑̏ͬ̽̐ͨ͗ͩ͑̈́͟ͅZ͛̄̃͐̂͗ͨ͏̬̠̞͍̣̟̲̞̺̰͍̞̮͘ͅE̩͈̩̤͎̳͔̞͖̬ͩ̍̂͋͆ͤ̐ͩ̾ͪ͟͠͝ ̨̡̫̼̠̖̰ͪͭ̄̇͛̍͞Yͯ͌͛͒ͫ̊̊ͣ̅̓̀ͪͣ͗̈̓́͋҉̱͖̱̻̣̗͙͉͎͟͠O̡̩̼͈̬͉ͭͦ͑ͩ̈͆̚͝Ų̛̳̪̼̺̲̱̫̫͕̪̣̞̽̑̌̑ͤ͊̍́ͦ̊ͨ͢͡Ṟ̭̪͎̖͔̲̟̫̜̰͊̅̋͌ͨ̌̓͝S̴̛͓̩̙͈̣̪̝̺̩̠̉͐̓͆̎̋̾̀̚͢͢ͅȨ̴͖̦͔̪̲̘̣̘̼͈͕̗͕͉̄̃ͭ̒̐̄ͥͨ͌ͯͬ̆̅̑ͤͧ͒̚̚L̛ͮ͛ͯ̇͗ͬ̂͊̿ͬ̑̀͐͌̐͛́͠͞҉̫̳̻̼̤̲̣̻̱͙͓̼F̡̧̛̠̳̪͎̠̼̟̞̠͒ͪ̊̽͘ ̵̸ͬ̄̍́̚͠҉͙̯͉̬̬͖̬̟̘̟̘̗͔̝͕̫͍ͅÁ̴̛͆ͣͮ̏̃͒ͮ̐ͫ́́ͪ̋҉̸͙̫̰̘̭̖̖N̶̵̡̽̉̊̓̅͛̅ͦ̈ͬ̚̚҉̻̠̼̥̯͍͕͔̞͙̤̬̤D̶͈̥͍̗̦̘̙̘ͭ͗ͫ͒͐̕ͅ ̶̸̈ͩͭ̿̄ͪ̄̔ͭ͗҉̭̣̟̣͎̞̥̯̻̗F̡̨͎͎̩̭͔͓͖̪̽͆̋̂͂ͬ̊͋̕̕Ą̠͕̻̭͍̺̹̪͉̗̳̠̗̮͔̲̯̈́ͧͦ̐̉͛͂̔̓͛ͨ̑̾̄̋͂̚͝Ç̝̯͕̰̝̘̮̺̝̠̜̿̈ͧ̂̾́̔͋̉͑̓̃͊̅̓̒ͣ̑͒͜͠ͅĘ̴̛̛̬̭̫̟͗ͭ͗ͩ̈͛ͤ̚̕ ͙̰̦̥͙̭̳̰͕̝͉̑͛͒̑̎͒͌̐̒ͮ̿͘͟T̎̾̊ͧͯ͌̔͆ͮ̀̈́̈̅̉̑ͭ̆̀̚͏͈̱̞͍̟̗̮̲̹̻̲̥͇̮̼̜̤̘͚O̢̡͖̟̙̝͔̪̭͇̗̱̥͕̱̪ͯ̿ͤ̏ͣ̍̈́̔͛̏̉̋̐̅ͧ̀ͥ̐ͮ͡ ̛́ͩ̇̉ͪ̄̿̾ͤͪͫ̈́͐́҉̷̣̻̗̭̼̫̣͍͖̮̬̲̹͖͈̖B̸̫̰̳͇͚̫̰̭̺ͫ̃ͯͧ̏̽̏ͦ̇͛͟ͅͅĽ̨̉͊̈ͬͫͮ͑ͯ͗̑ͨͦ̐͠҉̵̛̞̣̠̝̫͔̞̭̰̜̭͎̬O̶̘͓͖̞ͨ̀ͦͧ́͠Ô̶̴̢̺͈̪̜͔͇̩̩̼̯̦̲͈͎̙̻̖̻̓ͬ̅ͥ͜͜Ḑ̓̌͒̍̃͋̈͊̅̄̊̚҉̼̙̭̹̘͓͙̙̪̤̗̭̕̕ͅŞ̸̢̝̰̹͖͎͔̜̼̘̲͎̜͔̙̲̟ͧͧ͆̐ͫ͗͋͗͌H͔͕̭̜͊͐̊ͤ̾͆͂͌̈̚̚͟E̸ͧͭ͐͗̔̀͂̒ͪ̄ͦ̚͏̠̝͔Ḓ̢̞̝͙̻̔̔ͦͣͧͩ̇̉ͯ͗ͩ̃͛͆ͪ͐ͫ̚
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 07:27:49 am by Aerie »
Play my forum game, The Darkness Below!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7423 on: January 27, 2013, 06:53:57 am »

What about me not having any issues.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7424 on: January 27, 2013, 06:10:56 pm »

I'm actually doing just fiD̷̛̙͈͚̼̻̣̪̹̞̂͆ͣ̎͑̃̃̄̆̀́͟Ȩ̵̷̵̦̟͉͔̺͕̖̞̞̺͔͕̝̗͇̣̥̘ͭ̍ͮͧͯ̆͗͗̈́ͭͭ̾̚͠H̛͚͓̗̙͈̘̲̘̥͎͈̙͈̹͍͎͊ͣ́ͬ͐̍̑̓ͭ̊̍͛͌̃̒̑́ͬ̃̀Ų̠̩̰͈̭̩͚̲̲̘̦̳ͥ͌ͥ͐ͪ͗̍̿ͪM̡̲̖̻̫̠̫̫̗̯̦͇̱̻̼̅̔ͤͯ̆ͯ͗ͤ̌̽́͂̓ͅA̴̫͙͚͍̖̗̻̭̝̼̼͉͈̝̮͚̎̓ͭ͛ͩ̿̀͒̐͑̿̈́N̸̷̥͈͙̯̼͔̲͓̱̗̩̖̣͒̉͌͋͂̾ͧ̈̽̈́ͤ͂̓́ͅI̶͎͚͕̘̱͓̗̞̳͓͚ͯͤ͑̏ͬ̽̐ͨ͗ͩ͑̈́͟ͅZ͛̄̃͐̂͗ͨ͏̬̠̞͍̣̟̲̞̺̰͍̞̮͘ͅE̩͈̩̤͎̳͔̞͖̬ͩ̍̂͋͆ͤ̐ͩ̾ͪ͟͠͝ ̨̡̫̼̠̖̰ͪͭ̄̇͛̍͞Yͯ͌͛͒ͫ̊̊ͣ̅̓̀ͪͣ͗̈̓́͋҉̱͖̱̻̣̗͙͉͎͟͠O̡̩̼͈̬͉ͭͦ͑ͩ̈͆̚͝Ų̛̳̪̼̺̲̱̫̫͕̪̣̞̽̑̌̑ͤ͊̍́ͦ̊ͨ͢͡Ṟ̭̪͎̖͔̲̟̫̜̰͊̅̋͌ͨ̌̓͝S̴̛͓̩̙͈̣̪̝̺̩̠̉͐̓͆̎̋̾̀̚͢͢ͅȨ̴͖̦͔̪̲̘̣̘̼͈͕̗͕͉̄̃ͭ̒̐̄ͥͨ͌ͯͬ̆̅̑ͤͧ͒̚̚L̛ͮ͛ͯ̇͗ͬ̂͊̿ͬ̑̀͐͌̐͛́͠͞҉̫̳̻̼̤̲̣̻̱͙͓̼F̡̧̛̠̳̪͎̠̼̟̞̠͒ͪ̊̽͘ ̵̸ͬ̄̍́̚͠҉͙̯͉̬̬͖̬̟̘̟̘̗͔̝͕̫͍ͅÁ̴̛͆ͣͮ̏̃͒ͮ̐ͫ́́ͪ̋҉̸͙̫̰̘̭̖̖N̶̵̡̽̉̊̓̅͛̅ͦ̈ͬ̚̚҉̻̠̼̥̯͍͕͔̞͙̤̬̤D̶͈̥͍̗̦̘̙̘ͭ͗ͫ͒͐̕ͅ ̶̸̈ͩͭ̿̄ͪ̄̔ͭ͗҉̭̣̟̣͎̞̥̯̻̗F̡̨͎͎̩̭͔͓͖̪̽͆̋̂͂ͬ̊͋̕̕Ą̠͕̻̭͍̺̹̪͉̗̳̠̗̮͔̲̯̈́ͧͦ̐̉͛͂̔̓͛ͨ̑̾̄̋͂̚͝Ç̝̯͕̰̝̘̮̺̝̠̜̿̈ͧ̂̾́̔͋̉͑̓̃͊̅̓̒ͣ̑͒͜͠ͅĘ̴̛̛̬̭̫̟͗ͭ͗ͩ̈͛ͤ̚̕ ͙̰̦̥͙̭̳̰͕̝͉̑͛͒̑̎͒͌̐̒ͮ̿͘͟T̎̾̊ͧͯ͌̔͆ͮ̀̈́̈̅̉̑ͭ̆̀̚͏͈̱̞͍̟̗̮̲̹̻̲̥͇̮̼̜̤̘͚O̢̡͖̟̙̝͔̪̭͇̗̱̥͕̱̪ͯ̿ͤ̏ͣ̍̈́̔͛̏̉̋̐̅ͧ̀ͥ̐ͮ͡ ̛́ͩ̇̉ͪ̄̿̾ͤͪͫ̈́͐́҉̷̣̻̗̭̼̫̣͍͖̮̬̲̹͖͈̖B̸̫̰̳͇͚̫̰̭̺ͫ̃ͯͧ̏̽̏ͦ̇͛͟ͅͅĽ̨̉͊̈ͬͫͮ͑ͯ͗̑ͨͦ̐͠҉̵̛̞̣̠̝̫͔̞̭̰̜̭͎̬O̶̘͓͖̞ͨ̀ͦͧ́͠Ô̶̴̢̺͈̪̜͔͇̩̩̼̯̦̲͈͎̙̻̖̻̓ͬ̅ͥ͜͜Ḑ̓̌͒̍̃͋̈͊̅̄̊̚҉̼̙̭̹̘͓͙̙̪̤̗̭̕̕ͅŞ̸̢̝̰̹͖͎͔̜̼̘̲͎̜͔̙̲̟ͧͧ͆̐ͫ͗͋͗͌H͔͕̭̜͊͐̊ͤ̾͆͂͌̈̚̚͟E̸ͧͭ͐͗̔̀͂̒ͪ̄ͦ̚͏̠̝͔Ḓ̢̞̝͙̻̔̔ͦͣͧͩ̇̉ͯ͗ͩ̃͛͆ͪ͐ͫ̚

Hey look guys! A Spawn!

Pages: 1 ... 493 494 [495] 496 497 ... 815