Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 510 511 [512] 513 514 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178502 times)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #7665 on: February 14, 2013, 06:59:59 pm »

Lol, glad you guys like it. :P It wasn't that hard to make, and I did a messy job of it. For about five minutes, that page actually existed on TVTropes - as Spearbreakers Haiku. I simply copy-pasted-edited the "A God Am I" trope. That's why you see "Characters" up in the top right - I forgot to fix it to make it look more like a regular page. (The "shear" spelling error isn't my fault. I forgot to fix that, too, but that was the tropers.) Afterwards, I just did some quick image editing.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
  • And again everything goes wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7666 on: February 14, 2013, 09:38:35 pm »

The history on the Haiku page looks nuts now due to that. :P
I (somehow) wield a marble coffin that i fill with the corpses of all I have slain (to make an already heavy object even heavier) in one hand, and the other holds a book made out out of fucking platinum. The book can crush skulls, and the coffin grows ever stronger and now that is has a few dead dragons in it, it sends people flying a mile backwards to explode in a pile of gore. Gore which I then place into the coffin,

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7667 on: February 15, 2013, 05:29:39 am »

*WARNING! STORY WRITING IN PROGRESS*

Splint, what time are you actually up to? I need a good time for Clarity to make her dwarven debut.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7668 on: February 15, 2013, 12:53:47 pm »

Just due to clutter and piles of units My own updates are actually two days ahead of the game, it still being in the early final third of Granite.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7669 on: February 16, 2013, 12:04:45 pm »

I was reading through the old chapters, trying to get into the swing of things again and get past my writer's block issue (I hate writing boring chapters), and I realized a couple things... First, I completely forgot about the comb Reudh gave Vanya. Second, and more alarming: I've been pronouncing "cavy" incorrectly for almost a year now.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7670 on: February 17, 2013, 01:03:54 am »

Does nobody use the tinychat anymore, or am I just logging on at the wrong times? :/

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7671 on: February 17, 2013, 01:17:11 am »

I haven't been on it in some time, mostly due to it being nearly abandoned most of the time. Just opted to use steam instead.

Lennoxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7672 on: February 17, 2013, 09:26:42 am »

Huh, after reading the past 100 pages(ALMOST. BLOODY. DONE!), I learned that my dwarf's appearance isn't going to be the first to be related to magic to join this fort. (Given, he can't perform ANY magic due to inexperience*.) This fort already has enough with technology and timewars.  :-\

EDIT:*Besides an increase in longevity which hardly helps besides telling everyone who has known him for a long time that he is a very crappy and inexperienced necromancer.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 11:23:19 am by Lennoxite »

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7673 on: February 17, 2013, 12:40:43 pm »

Oh, yeah. We've had lasguns, railguns, armored mechs, tanks-that-look-like-tanks-but-arent'-really-tanks-at-all, portal tech, doomsday weapons, epic machines of death, multiuniversal time travelers dropping grenades in places they aren't supposed to go, magical genetic mutants, naturally-invisible mages, might-be-vampiric mad scientists...

I could go on for a while. lol

Choose your magic type - Runes or Prayer - and it'll fit right into the canon. As I recall, your dwarf was a necromancer apprentice... That would give you Runes magic, which is what Terrahex has. Talvi had it briefly, too, but that was just a dumb move on her part. lol    Runes are power, tomes teach you what you need to know. The rules are laid out pretty well, but you have plenty of wiggle room.

"Enough"? Not remotely! Always fun to throw a few new elements into the mix. I think when Splint originally started Spearbreakers, he was aiming for a classic Fantasy story... Then Mr Frog turned Talvi's imaginary friend into a major villain, Splint turned an offhand comment into an interdimensional company, I turned a throwaway narrator into a lead protagonist, and everything escalated from there. Vanya won't be hanging around Parasol forever, so if you want to help work your character into her story (or for me to help work her into yours), lemme know. ;) I'm of the opinion that we've created one of the most over-the-top, awesome universes ever... but as one of the top posters in this thread, I'm horribly, horribly biased.

Re:Tinychat:
I can't log on. It's blocked, and if I try to get around it, the site itself blocks me, thinking I'm a bot. It's a lose-lose situation.

Lennoxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7674 on: February 17, 2013, 02:30:39 pm »

I'M CAUGHT UP. HECK YEAH!

I like the magic system that was brought up. From my character's origins, I suspect that my character would know a little bit on runes, but due to that unfortunate incident spoken of several pages back he hardly got anywhere with it. Don't expect him to go anywhere beyond Animate Dead, and maybe figuring out the full secrets to Life and Death. I'm kinda against the latter due to immortality age-wise and losing fatigue and hunger/thirst being a very Marty Stu-ish thing. I feel inclined to post an overview of my little dwarf's backstory, so that a full grasp of my dwarf can be accomplished. Made a few adjustments since I last posted it.

EDIT: Grammar issues bug me.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 03:26:24 pm by Lennoxite »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7675 on: February 17, 2013, 03:53:46 pm »

Oh there's many a deathless abomination running around, in differing forms. Plus I would imagine for appearances a necromancer can simply change his/her appearance and eat and drink for appearances. Plus if they really want to I'm sure they could figure out a way to relearn how to sleep, as fucktarded as such a thing sounds. But hey, when there's nothing to do at night because the people you hang out with are all asleep, you may as well try and join them.

My mood's been slowly lightening up, so I may get an update out within a couple days. No promises though.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7676 on: February 17, 2013, 03:55:31 pm »

I'M CAUGHT UP. HECK YEAH!
I think we should have a "Hall of Fame" section just for people who manage to make it all the way through the thread without their minds turning to goop.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 03:57:22 pm by Talvieno »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7677 on: February 17, 2013, 03:58:39 pm »

I don't recall him saying his sanity remained intact. It's just reading the thread through has granted him  the Functional Madness perk.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #7678 on: February 17, 2013, 04:11:40 pm »

Can I have a turn?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7679 on: February 17, 2013, 08:31:20 pm »

Alrighty, first poor bastard to sign up since the list  sort-of reset. I'll put ya down. Sure you'll be able to take it after I finish? Considering i'm sort of crawling along it may be a while.
Pages: 1 ... 510 511 [512] 513 514 ... 815