Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 532 533 [534] 535 536 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2193768 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #7995 on: March 14, 2013, 06:51:24 am »

23rd Slate, 210

We've gotten the export agreement taken care of. I'm sure we've extra short swords aplenty to offer home. But they seem most interested in quivers, random tools of any sort (hives, jugs and what not,) and rings. Well he can eat me. The caravan will be getting nothing but mugs next time it shows up probably.

Dauros has sent a runner up to inform me he's in position. I've sent Mekkia down to hit the switches once Rodge makes the breach.

24th Slate, 210

We're done at long last. And he left carrying news of Dauros' victory over Ebra. Mr Frog came in and told me that he had expertly dispatched the monster in three swift blows. But unfortunately, he is now beyond sight, Mr Frog saying he was going up a ramp to Ugeth's last known location. I can only hope he doesn't burst into flames battling the horror.

25th Slate, 210

Mr Frog has sent me a report of more adamantine being found. I have no idea how he found it, but he did. I've also been told Sapper was behaving strangely, shouting obscenities at all who come near her as she gathered materials. I am told she gathered some giant kea bone, freshly tanned sloth bear leather, some fortress spun cloth of fine quality, and squar cut clear garnets.

I fear for her very soul; last time garnets of any kind were concerned The Master lost his shit and had to be struck down.

25th Slate, 210

Dauros has been in the deep for for several days now. Mr Frog has kept worry at bay, saying that every hour more of the cavern is revealed to him by his funny little machines. He says he paid Dauros a small sum to set them up down there, and Mr Frog tells me there is an absolute bounty of towering fungi just begging to become bins. He also says his machines have lost the heat of Ugeth, which tells us that the great flame is dead. I am also told Kob fell not long after, but now another monster approaches, heralded by a great roar from the deep; it undoubtedly seeks to consume our new champion.

Sapper finished her great work, a buckler of giant kea bone called Zimishnakas Azkob Lar, Phantomenjoy, The Incenses of Meeting. Rochia brought it to me after Sapper bellowed "IT'S DONE!" and falling on her face. Literally. Rochia says she fell face first into the workbench and broke it.

It is beautiful, easily worth over 30,000 gold coin. It's front is made from bone, of course, backed with fine wool and a leather grip, bot contected with rivets of bone. Spikes of bone and gem run along its edges, an absolute marvel.

27th Slate, 210

Dauros has returned to us, directing us to the corpse of a beast he calls Spos. It'll make fine meals, and honestly I couldn't be more proud of him. He says he searched the entirity of the caverns he dared after slaying Spos, and found nothing more than a pair of simple crundles, which he felt need to tell me he slew for fun. We now have a massive grove to exploit, and if Dauros is to be believed, countless gems and ores as well!

1st Felsite, 210

Dauros said he felt uneasy when I spoke with him this morning. Mr Frog says it may have something to do with the monster that he has reason to believe stalks the caverns where we have yet to oust the intruders. This layer seems to be where Stozu should lie, but we must be wary of Zopsu if Dauros is to face this thing.

Dauros' battle below.

24th Slate, 210

It was dark. Very dark. But at least it wasn't cold. Mr Frog had given Dauros a special torch that he could attach to his should, and it certainly made his life much easier. He also gave him dozens of little metal cylinders on poles with glass in the flat end, told him to 'Set them up where you feel appropriate.' He'd do that after he dealt with what he'd been asked to deal with. Behind him a gold bridge built by Talvieno raised; no monster would be able to bash through metal she worked.

Then he heard his first foe, though he knew not what it was. It was a roar, fell and terrible, but laced with what sounded like bubbling muck.

It rounded a corner and upon sighting him, the twisted monster's neck bubbled outward and a glob of aqua colored slop flew forth from its brown frame. Dauros dodged it with no effot, the glob smashing into the wall behind him and he charged at it. It raised a massive mud-foot to crush him with the two branching legs that formed it, but Dauros, with surprising agility leapt upward and struck away the leg with the shaft of his pike, and wheeled around midflight to deliver a shield strike that tore away the back leg, sending the beast sideways away from the champion. Dauros recovered quickly as the monster thrashed about.

He charged with a mighty shout and jammed his pike into it's body as he charged, and as his shield connected, he felt it's upper half break away, which ended with Dauros crashing into the ground, covered in brown slop. Ebra was dead, but he yet had work to do. He stood up with grunt and looked around, and din't notice the strange yellow mass that left Ebra's mud and crept up his body to his pike, where upon it glowed a soft yellow, but only briefly.

-

Dauros stood before the fell beast Rose had told a story of. A great humanoid beast, carrying a wicked looking curving sword of the same make as itself. "Hey!" Dauros called, as if addressing a friend or acquaintance. "Let's have a look at ya big guy." Ugeth turned and it was clear he was not of this natural world: His eyes glowed bright with fire, as did his mouth when he spoke in some twisted speech Dauros could not understand

"You dare challenge me dwarf? I thought you ilk were not built of courage."

Ugeth turned and with a stomp bursted into a swirling aura of flame; the black monster was not to be seen, but now in its place stood the towering beast of flame Rose spoke of.

"Well, definitely got me on height and weight." Dauros said in response, not knowing what Ugeth said.

A sudden ball of flame flew at Dauros from a swing of the monster's blade. Before, he was toying with the dwarves, now he intended to kill one.

Dauros ducked behind his shield as the flame blasted against it, scorching the blue and orange paint from his shield. He used this chance to attack, rushing forward; he could feel the heat against his exposed lips and could swear he felt his beard begin to burn. And still, he charged on.

Ugeth brought his blade down, the ground cracking and moss catching flame. Dauros swung his pike downwards and severed the beast's enormous arm and all at once, it was reduced to a pile of ashed, sword and all.

Ugeth's face grew wide with terror, not that his form permitted it to be visible to a normal creature, and he threw a punch at Dauros, slamming him into the wall where he fell to his back. Dauros felt two more hammerfists on his shield before he managed to awkwardly swing his pike, the very tip catching the abomination's knee and bringing it crashing sideways into the towercap it had used as an impromptu throne, which came down from his immense bulk slamming into it. Dauros struggled to his feet and in a moment of weakness, Ugeth pushed his body up on his good arm and looked to see a dwarf charging at him, pike lowered, and roaring "For Spearbreakers!"

It would be the last thing Ugeth would see before becoming not but simple ashes. Dauros once more noticed not a glow that moved to him, and his pike glow red, due tot he dying flames of the battle.

-

He slid back to the entry; two monsters from before even the ancient fall of Syrupleaf lay dead. He cast a look upon the giant magma tube before him, and could faintly see a great black.... thing, swimming around over the various impure metals and other such sloshy molten gunk. He remembered he'd been asked to throw a special tube Mr Frog had given him in, and he did so, reaching into his lightly singed bag and throwing the aforementioned device in. He didn't know nor care why he was asked to do it. It was an easy ten silver regardless.

Behind him he heard a gurgling noise, and when he turned to see it, he saw his next foe: Kob, the water glob.

Kob had already fired some foul goo at him, and Dauros brought his ever faithful shield up, where the now-solidified extract shattered against it. "Gonna have to do better than that." He said loudly, and charged forward. the beast surged forth at him, crashing against the cavern floor as Dauros dodged it and swiped his pike at it, tearing away some stubby thing off of it's backside. It swung itself at him again, and again he dodged its strike, and wheeled his pike upward like a sword and spile the beast's facsimile of a head in half, where the monster's entire form fell apart and collapsed into not but simple water laced with a strange whitish toxin that was likely its spittle.

"Too easy." He said with not much care, the glow of magma masking the very soft blue glow that had briefly emitted from his pike.

[That mess is all that remains of Ebra and Kob. Dauros is standing on the bodies' icons.

[this was how it actually went.]

26th Slate, 210

Dauros had resolved to wait the beast Stozu out. But instead he was greeted when he woke by a fell roar from above and was knocked on his back by some gigantic sloth.

He rolled aside as it tried to crush him and stood tall, or as tall as a dwarf could stand. "Come on down and fight sloth! I promise I'll make it painless!"

The beast landed before him and let loose a second angry roar, only for Dauros to attack with two quick thrusts, the first only  cutting fat but the second digging deep, snapping rib and tearing lung. It didn't take kindly to this and with a shout in goblin of "SPOS SMASH!" batted Dauros away into a thicket of blood thorns. He got to his feet quickly and attacked, putting his pike through Sops' front left leg when it struck at him again. Sure, he went through a blood thorn in the process, but the limb was functionally useless now and it clearly didn't want to put any weight on it when he got up.

He rushed forwards again, dodging it's clumsy swing and sliding behind it between it's towering legs, the back left of which his pikepoint tore into as he stood up and whipped around. Spos fell sideways with a loud thud, and it began to utter surprisingly pathetic cries, which were replaced with gurgles as Dauros managed to climb on it and began stabbing wildly, ruining its other lung and ripping it's hide open, tearing wing and snapping bone the whole while. The monster's flailing and trying to move with two disabled limbs began making less and less futile efforts to resist.

Finally, in resignation it died, Dauros' tool punching through hide, flesh, bone, and brain, and the pike carried a brief amber glow with it as it left the weapon. unnoticed against the sloth's fur.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7996 on: March 14, 2013, 07:13:25 am »

Great update, Splint!

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #7997 on: March 14, 2013, 12:05:09 pm »

Spoiler: Journal of Mr Frog (click to show/hide)
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #7998 on: March 14, 2013, 12:29:25 pm »

Another way to check Fischer's status would be to use DFHack to change to arena mode, which lets you see all syndromes affecting the target. Which save did the drowziness start in?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7999 on: March 14, 2013, 04:29:47 pm »

They fell in Tomio's reign.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8000 on: March 14, 2013, 04:59:02 pm »

Thili got Fischer before then and it just caused her to sleep more than usual, sleeping a month to a season in game instead of a few days. Nothing too horrible but Lomoth fucked her up without hurting her.

Stupid giant chicken.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8001 on: March 14, 2013, 05:04:49 pm »

I'm still working through the thread, very slowly. Page 261 so far, so about 50% in. I haven't been reading your guys' more recent updates because spoilers.

I wanted to throw a suggestion - there was a discussion about modding the spawn to wear armor/use weapons. The counter-argument was that they shouldn't and wouldn't as they are monsters. Wanted to throw this your way for any future iterations:
Let them butcher intelligent creatures (only, if possible). Then, make them wear armor made from those creatures. It will not be very effective, but it would really add to their feel. And potentially reduce edged weapon effectiveness by a small margin.

Care for another further modding idea? If not, ignore.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In addition, they could potentially bring bones as projectile weapons. If dwarf-mode units can even throw objects *shrug*

Okay, I'll get back to it! I will finish reading it
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8002 on: March 14, 2013, 05:11:25 pm »

They already have enough sheer balls out toughness as it stands. I am considering for the next game a spawn-based megabeast (Megaspawn who have said FUCK EVERYTHING to even their own kind or may rarely appear as parts of attacking forces) and a few castes of stronger and weaker spawn (such as greater spawn (bigger, meaner, and generally harder to kill) > spawn drones (normal spawn) > spawnlings (weak cannon fodder spawn who appear as frequently or more frequently than normal spawn.)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8003 on: March 15, 2013, 02:20:50 pm »

Just figured I'd get us back on the front page by letting you guys know I'll try and get us another update out. And seriously, Talvieno can't manage all this Wiki stuff solo so where the hell are the rest of you guys?

I'd help, but have no idea the hell I'd be doing.

Lennoxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8004 on: March 15, 2013, 02:49:58 pm »

I have absolutely zero experience with wiki management, and I honestly don't feel that I can devote my time to it.  :(

Concerning Aegis Ops, I've got a beginning for its introduction underway, designed to explain further about its operations. Might be a while due to the work I just got today.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 03:06:25 pm by Lennoxite »

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8005 on: March 15, 2013, 03:09:23 pm »

I, too, have absolutely zero experience with wiki management... But I'm learning as I go along. It's not that hard - create a page, put in the bare bones stuff, and fill it out later if you need to. The rest of it is common sense, in my opinion. It's a lot easier than editing Wikipedia, for sure.
We need pages concerning Ballpoint, our overseers, our soldiers, places in the fortress, canon characters, etc. It's mostly pretty easy.

edit: One thing that's bugging me is the fact that pages look so much better with pictures, and it's ridiculous to try to get enough for every page. XD Still, wiki editing is more fun than you'd think. Just write it out and remember, everything is meant to spoil everything for everyone by default. :P

second edit: Mr Frog, I'd be interested in seeing that drawing program you came up with - you kicked out some impressive pieces with it in a reasonably short timespan.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 03:17:12 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8006 on: March 15, 2013, 04:53:45 pm »

Welp. I am now thoroughly annoyed. Almost finished what I had intended for Ballpoint; Google chrome crapped out on me as I was finishing the last bit I was gonna do.

Hour of work down the drain.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #8007 on: March 15, 2013, 05:10:24 pm »

Mr Frog, I'd be interested in seeing that drawing program you came up with - you kicked out some impressive pieces with it in a reasonably short timespan.

Okay, I'll do some last-minute polishing (there's one little thing that I've been meaning to do but haven't yet bothered), upload it to Mediafire, and make a Creative Projects thread.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8008 on: March 15, 2013, 05:21:19 pm »

@Talvieno You are doing a great job with the wiki :D

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8009 on: March 15, 2013, 05:33:08 pm »

I have fiddled with it and Provided work on Stova and The Blood Plains.
Pages: 1 ... 532 533 [534] 535 536 ... 815