Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 540 541 [542] 543 544 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2199262 times)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #8115 on: March 21, 2013, 09:13:49 pm »

I read the whole topic. All 541 pages of it. All I have to say is that Fischer and Dragniean's sickness is the saddest end to a military dwarf's life imaginable. Even death from old age would be better.

I would also like to be dwarfed as one of the future Swordsorphans as Flame.
I did mention we ought to have a Hall of Fame for anyone that manages to brave the length and read the entire thread... You, sir, have my respect. Welcome to the madness. :D

the already squishy Parasol
I object! Parasol is far from being squishy. They may not be as military-oriented as Ballpoint, but they undoubtedly have the better technology and defenses. Ballpoint definitely has better manpower, too, but what good are a hundred soldiers against... a tank, for instance?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8116 on: March 21, 2013, 09:21:28 pm »

Ballpoint definitely has better manpower, too, but what good are a hundred soldiers against... a tank, for instance?
Well, I managed to blow up a tank with an assault rifle on Planetside 2. And an airborne personnel carrier. Just saying, don't discount sheer madness...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8117 on: March 21, 2013, 09:26:26 pm »

Depends on what the soldiers have. I call them squishy because of their lack of numbers(sort of anyway) and more reliance on heavy machinery compared to the more infantry oriented Ballpoint.

And it's not like they go into battle without contingencies. It's just the AT guys kind of have this thing about being vaporized to line up a shot...

Ballpoint definitely has better manpower, too, but what good are a hundred soldiers against... a tank, for instance?
Well, I managed to blow up a tank with an assault rifle on Planetside 2. And an airborne personnel carrier. Just saying, don't discount sheer madness...

Balls to the wall insanity does help, yes.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8118 on: March 21, 2013, 09:48:31 pm »

Game physics. It's basically giving a three-dimensional object an armor rating, deciding how much "armor piercing" power the projectile weapon has (math can vary here) and then adding up how much physical punch is left. In Mass Effect it's possible to kill the largest enemies in the game with a pistol, the weakest weapon, simply because these gigantic enemies don't have any armor value. In real life, bullets ricochet off tanks pretty much 100% of the time.

Granted, DF is not real life.

Depends on what the soldiers have. I call them squishy because of their lack of numbers(sort of anyway) and more reliance on heavy machinery compared to the more infantry oriented Ballpoint.
Okay, here's a scenario. 10000 ancient Mesopotamian warriors versus 10 tanks and 100 soldiers with guns. OR - BETTER - a real life, historical version: The Spanish Conquistadors versus the Aztecs. The conquistadors only had what troops they could carry on their small fleet of ships, while the Aztecs had an entire empire. The Aztecs had every advantage - they knew the land, superior numbers, stealth, etc. However... the conquistadors had better equipment. They had guns, and actual armor. All the Aztecs had were obsidian swords, maces, and atlatl, and the conquistadors wiped them nearly completely from existence in their lust for gold.

Edit: Not saying Parasol could possibly do that to Ballpoint. Just saying that superior technology can equal superior manpower.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 09:51:09 pm by Talvieno »

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8119 on: March 21, 2013, 09:51:20 pm »

The Spanish Conquistadors versus the Aztecs. The conquistadors only had what troops they could carry on their small fleet of ships, while the Aztecs had an entire empire. The Aztecs had every advantage - they knew the land, superior numbers, stealth, etc. However... the conquistadors had better equipment. They had guns, and actual armor. All the Aztecs had were obsidian swords, maces, and atlatl, and the conquistadors wiped them nearly completely from existence in their lust for gold.

Edit: Not saying Parasol could possibly do that to Ballpoint. Just saying that superior technology can equal superior manpower.
Because capitalism.

Oh humanity, why you so greedy?

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8120 on: March 21, 2013, 09:58:51 pm »

Nah, I would like them to play some form of supporting role for at least one of the sides. To them, supplying a vast amount of powerful weapons to a company at war could mean potential profit.

They aren't fighters, they are more along the lines of a helper.
Missed this, sorry.

This works great, and you have some time to get it done, too, depending on how long you want to drag it out.

@Lolfail - if only people were perfect, right? -sigh-
Although, if you think about it, if people were so altruistic, we wouldn't need money in the first place.

Lennoxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8121 on: March 22, 2013, 04:03:09 am »

@ TheFlame52 - Welcome aboard.

@ Lennoxite - So basically they're more on par with being a squishy wizard  that's even squishier than the already squishy Parasol or Eris?

Pretty much. They're not meant to fight, only provide. Their weapons are pretty darn nice, though. An incentive to protect them is that all blueprints and discoveries are set to be erased, (Most of it is in a private server.), in case Aegis Ops falls.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8122 on: March 22, 2013, 04:50:34 am »

@Lolfail - if only people were perfect, right? -sigh-
Although, if you think about it, if people were so altruistic, we wouldn't need money in the first place.

That is precisely my point.
If humanity worked towards helping each other and not towards EXTORTING each other, we would be so much happier, although science most likely would not have progressed as far.

Anyhoo, end of philosophical discussion.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8123 on: March 22, 2013, 09:08:05 am »

So they are a squashy Stone.
because that's what Stone basically is. Except for the fact that Stone has finally taken a bit of a side.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Lennoxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8124 on: March 22, 2013, 05:26:33 pm »

That is basically my concern with Aegis right now. Too similar to something already, the purpose anyway. Kinda hard to justify why one would enter a time war besides being suited for those kind of things.

I'm trying to make the inner workings of the company more original, however.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 05:32:15 pm by Lennoxite »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #8125 on: March 23, 2013, 01:57:43 am »

How about, instead of everybody bringing in their very own brand-new faction or whatever which is then clumsily retconned in, y'all just focus on building on what's already there in the setting? Armok knows there's more than enough material to go on, and it saves everyone the trouble of trying to make everything fit.

(Sorry if I'm being too snappish; I've been in literally-constant pain for about three days now, which has left me slightly more irritable than usual.)

E: Also, I don't care much about OT in general anymore, but @Lolfail, I'm not sure bringing that particular subject up was either wise or productive in any way. It may have been tangentially-related to something Talvi mentioned, but some things just do not merit being said.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 02:11:59 am by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8126 on: March 23, 2013, 02:54:17 am »

My apologies, Mr Frog.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8127 on: March 23, 2013, 03:10:55 am »

ALERT: THE GREAT OPERATION COMMENCES.
ESTIMATED CASUALTIES: LOTS OF DOGS. ENTIRE DEMONIC INCURSION.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8128 on: March 23, 2013, 03:13:31 am »

dwarf.fortress
>miner.mine(adamantine, 1)
Mining...

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8129 on: March 23, 2013, 04:00:15 am »

ALERT: THE GREAT OPERATION COMMENCES.
ESTIMATED CASUALTIES: LOTS OF DOGS. ENTIRE DEMONIC INCURSION.

Who's been sent to the marksdwarf stationing? That would be Civ Defense 1 and 2, and Squad 3 Second Company, right?

Considering that there's access for marksdwarves on all sides and only one space for them to move in, they'll fire as long as they have ammo.
If I remember right, there's an easily accessible ammo stockpile nearby.

And of course, the wonderful mass of animals will keep the demons occupied for minutes while the bone bolts rip away their tissues.
Pages: 1 ... 540 541 [542] 543 544 ... 815