Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 555 556 [557] 558 559 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2179128 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #8340 on: April 17, 2013, 10:33:36 pm »

Ok, DVNO and Tinsplint, you guys have dorfs. Sadly there were no available military dwarves, so Deeves is a stonecrafter and Tin is a dyer.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8341 on: April 17, 2013, 11:25:23 pm »

I know someone who may ask for a dwarf a little later - do we have any more free, Splint?

And, question... what's the box? :P Or is that a surprise? Or did I miss something?

Finally - welcome to the madness, Tinsplint. :)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 11:28:32 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8342 on: April 17, 2013, 11:33:16 pm »

Well, migrants may show later, it is only Malachite.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8343 on: April 17, 2013, 11:34:28 pm »

We have some, but no soldiers if that's what you mean. and as for the box, it's a cure for Spawnitis that got jammed into a crevice in the slade for safe-keeping by Ballpoint and got forgotten about decades ago.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8344 on: April 17, 2013, 11:39:22 pm »

So, it's from the future past? Also, didn't WE open hell? How the (not making that pun now) did BP get down there?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8345 on: April 17, 2013, 11:53:20 pm »

Portal tech can take you anywhere if you can figure it out by trial and error. How do you think the first Scythod left their homeworld?

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8346 on: April 18, 2013, 12:09:03 am »

We have some, but no soldiers if that's what you mean. and as for the box, it's a cure for Spawnitis that got jammed into a crevice in the slade for safe-keeping by Ballpoint and got forgotten about decades ago.
Nah, I was just wondering if we have any free dwarves that someone could be dorfed as.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8347 on: April 18, 2013, 12:10:01 am »

Portal tech can take you anywhere if you can figure it out by trial and error. How do you think the first Scythod left their homeworld?
They stay on their homeworld but when they sleep, they become their counterparts in Everoc. Duh.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8348 on: April 18, 2013, 12:39:09 am »

They stay on their homeworld but when they sleep, they become their counterparts in Everoc. Duh.
That reminds me very much of some children's book I can't remember the name of... where some of the characters were tiny three-inch figurines that came to life when their counterparts were asleep or in comas.

soulslicerjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8349 on: April 18, 2013, 01:16:59 am »

A cure for spawnitis?  Won't that remove the one last thing that keeps the spawn threatening at this point?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8350 on: April 18, 2013, 07:47:00 am »

A cure for spawnitis?  Won't that remove the one last thing that keeps the spawn threatening at this point?

He hasn't shown whether it will 100% cure them, or indeed cure them at all.
And even if it does, there is massive roving bands of spawn still in existence, so they'd be incredibly difficult to capture and administer.

To boot, the FS-00 is in production, and will likely be immune to the cure.

(If we get a master of modding to help us for Spearbreakers 2, Mr Frog I'm looking at you, we could have a reaction that takes Spawn to a curing device and converts them into a dwarf.)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #8351 on: April 18, 2013, 01:48:40 pm »

@Reudh:

That'd be... doable, sort of. It'd be a pain in the ass to get the Spawn to the workshop, and remember that to my knowledge, it is impossible to actually remove a syndrome through any means other than waiting for the timer to run out, which doesn't happen with Spawnitis. The best one could do would be to make another syndrome that turns Spawn into dwarves, in which case the 'cured' dwarves would look nothing like their original forms.

FAUX-EDIT: Actually, on second thought, when I was fiddling with Greater Spawn in the updated version of the mod, I tried giving them the ability to resurrect lesser Spawn provided that the corpses were intact, and found to my intense chagrin that the corpses of converted spawn would revert back into dwarves upon resurrection; in other words, resurrecting a corpse removes any syndromes that had been affecting it prior to death (not really a bug, I think; I'm pretty sure Toady intentionally implemented this to stop werezombiesplosions or some such). Something could conceivably be done with that; converted Spawn are already treated as different species than normal Spawn in the raws, so it'd be trivial to get such a spell to only target converted corpses.
    The main problem I see arising from this method is hands, heads, etc. being resurrected seperately and each regenerating into an entire dwarf, resulting in (for example) three Ashsabers being reconstituted from one dismembered Spawn (i.e. Starfish Syndrome).

Spoiler: tl;dr (click to show/hide)
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8352 on: April 18, 2013, 02:37:15 pm »

Perhaps it's not possible, but... I thought of a way "curing" a Holistic Spawn might be accomplished. I do, however, think that it would cause serious problems with gameplay - something about switching a species of a character seems like it would mess up the civs they are aligned to... Or, rather, if they're already enemeis with Dwarven Civ #1 by simply having been a Spawn in the first place, would they somehow change back to a "Friendly" state again once they "turn back"?

Anyway. It is entirely possible to create a reaction at a workshop that creates a cloud of vapor. I used it to make dwarves bleed out all over the place once, just for the fun of it. (seriously, that fortress was the most bloodstained mess ever.) This cloud COULD conceivably (I think - my modding is very rusty) change a Holistic Spawn into a dwarf, and the method for doing so would be simple. This is how it would be done:

Code: [Select]
╔═╗
║¢║
╚╬╝
You put the workshop at the eastern or western side of this structure. Thus, dwarves won't have any issue with job cancellation by walking in front of the Spawn, which you drop from above via a trapdoor. The hatch cover you see in the image remains locked until the dwarf is converted. The vapor can circle around the sides and into the area via the fortification, the creature is converted, and the problem is solved.

HOWEVER. I'm pretty sure this requires a creature that can actually breathe, and that creature is not a holistic spawn. :-\ So... you'd pretty much have to change the raws for this to work, but it's a neat idea, anyway.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8353 on: April 18, 2013, 05:10:34 pm »

Honestly I had an idea in mind that it won't reverse physical mutations, simply drive out the parasite through some means, leaving the host mind intact and able to regain control of their body.

This would lead into us being able to take a sort of weakened spawn warrior (As in they need to breath for example due to not having the parasite to strengthen their systems against inconveniences like silly oxygen deprivation) as a war animal in SBII. of course they'd be insanely expensive (probably to represent more of a signing fee for their services as soldiers or something.) Plus, since the spawn are showing to evolve more and more, the cure would probably only affect "warrior" spawn, leaving stronger, nastier or those that can bring crude weapons to a fight still able to infect dwarves, barring of course they don't just tear them apart.

And who knows? Perhaps it depends partially on willpower. Mad-Dok would be able to regain his ability to function normally as he's beaten his parasite quite soundly and retained control of his mind while Ashsaber wouldn't as he's already a mindless gibbering trainwreck inside.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8354 on: April 18, 2013, 08:16:45 pm »

Don't worry. He says all who OPPOSE him will perish.
Support him, but support all other parties at the same time.
Sell to whomever is buying ;)
Ah... i was squeaking at the update...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 555 556 [557] 558 559 ... 815