Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 582 583 [584] 585 586 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2198482 times)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #8745 on: July 09, 2013, 01:53:10 am »

Guess who has access.

I'm not sure how it happened, but right now, the blocker's down. I think it may have something to do with the incredible amount of rain over East Coast US, and the intermittent power outages all over the place, but I'm not going to question my good fortune. Shoving this up here as quick as I can - hopefully I can snag someone else on.

QUICK, LET'S START SOME DEBATES :D
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8746 on: July 09, 2013, 02:03:52 am »

Okay. Now that that's up, let me detail what I've been working on. I've been working on the SBII mod - a mod for a world that's drastically changed due to everything in Spearbreakers canon. And it's insane.

Includes, but is not limited to:

- Added new entities
   - Added Timewar entities as potential allies
      - Added small Parasol bands, will trade timewar tech
      - Added small Ballpoint bands, attack your fortress
      - Both are comprised of both dwarves and humans
   - Added Ferric Elves as an ally (Splint liked the idea of them)
      - they live underground and work with metal
   - Added Dwelves as an ally (A cross between dwarves and elves, Vanya's fault)
      - They live underground as well.
   - Added Scythods
      - Dangerous warlike race, both allied and not, very killy-killish. Will be incredibly formidable with Toady’s next update.
      -Scythods have four arms, all of which are basically deadly weapons - upper two arms are scythes, lower two arms are knify claws - all four legs are gigantic spikes, basically AND IT ALL MAKES SENSE D:
   - Added Seqiv (Mr Frog's mod)
      - Dangerous ninjalike race, enemy only (sneaky as hell and are capable of avoiding detection by the F.R.O.G 67% of the time)
      - Three new unique weapons
         - whirling helix
         - singing blade
         - tonehammer
   - Added manamaids as potential enemies (with help from Mr Frog and Splint) - a figurative and literal mindfuck
      - Added special manamaid clothing and armor
         - added warrior princess breastplate
         - added "valkyrie wings"
         - added nurse uniform
         - added nun tunic
         - added burlesque minidress
         - added "peacock tail"
         - added "bunny ears"
         - you get the idea
      - Added manamaid special interaction
      - added manamaid language
      - manamaids have the innate ability to "Bust a sexy move", rendering you unconscious and making you bleed from the eyes.
- added new weaponry (with help from Splint)
   - added fistsaw
   - added chainscythe
   - added grindaxe
   - added buzzhammer
   - added chainsword
   - added sawpike
   - added darts as a trap component
   - added ammo: mugammo
   - added ammo: small serrated discs
   - added ammo: railgun cartridge
   - added mugrifle
   - added mughammer
   - added mugbow
   - added serrated disc launcher
   - added railgun
      - all weapons have been balanced appropriately.
- added new armor
   - tons of flavor armor for ballpoint and parasol
- Added new misc items for flavor
   - added PEA (toy)
   - added PEA (instrument)
   - added gorlak doll (toy)
   - added microscope (toy, instrument)
   - added toy flamethrower
   - added toy octavian
   - added toy robot
   - added military scanner (instrument)
   - added book (toy)
   - added test tubes and beakers (instruments)
   - added radio (instrument)
   - added bracelet (instrument)
   - added binoculars (instrument)
   - added toy moghopper
   - added even more, but hey.
      - all misc items given to the appropriate civs.
- Gave dwarves new weaponry, ability to craft vampiric silver and carbon fiber
   - Made pikes wieldable by dwarves
- added new materials
   - added vampiric silver
   - added carbon fiber
- Added reactions
   - craft carbon fiber from 2 graphite and flux
   - craft vampiric silver from silver bars and flux
   - craft mughammers at craftsdwarf workshop
- added new creatures
   - made emus and giant emus domesticated and war-trainable
   - added Jackborgs
      - shell of iron
      - tradable from the mountainhome and possibly other civilizations
      - wields a pike
      - can be trained for war
      - Has their own language (not implemented, as they're not an entity - more for entertainment purposes (and it can show up in worldgen =D ))
   - added glowwhales (from parasol's oceans)
      - glowwhales bioluminesce
   - added battleyaks
      - they can’t produce milk or cheese but are formidable war machines (and in fortress tests, make excellent beasts for execution pits.)
   - added war gorlaks
      - thanks to Urist’s and Vanya’s adventures, Mr Frog’s species has bred and populated many of the darker areas of the world and are available for WAR.
- added holistic spawn from Spearbreakers
   - Spawn have added ability to turn humans, goblins, and/or elves
      - trolls can be turned as well, creating spawn that are four times larger than normal
   - Spawn can turn common domestics (although they are weaker than traditional spawn in multiple ways - can bleed out, can die from brain damage (cow spawn can still stomp regular spawn though))
   - Spawn can turn scythods (although interestingly, turned scythods are weaker)
   - Added roaming spawn
      - Roaming spawn travel in groups in evil areas, and can attack fortresses at random
   - added giant spawn
      - giant spawn are 10 times the size of a regular spawn
   - added megaspawn
      - megabeasts 133 times the size of a regular spawn
- added radiation mod
   - comes with *.exe to randomly generate new radiation effects
   - radiation has a 25% chance to affect every savage area
   - Gods can curse sentient beings with mutations during worldgen
   - radiation randomly (and permanently) changes various properties of your dwarves
   - introduces "radiation sickness", which some dwarves are inherently immune to (by chance)
   - dwarves can die of radiation exposure
   - dwarves can gain superhuman strength, agility, etc.
   - all fixed and stabilized from the previous unreleased version - dwarves no longer mutate into vampires, paralysis no longer affects the ability to talk, etc. also, necrosis is no longer a *****.
 - Elves are evil. Now, they can be evil more dramatically with elves being inherently enemies with you.
 - added new plants
   - Chardonnay grapes, brew to create chardonnay
   - Merlot grapes, brew to create merlot
   - "Frog moss" - a mysterious type of moss that makes dwarves high for a limited time if converted to powder at a mill. Worth a good deal in trade. +Frog Moss Powder Roasts+ are an interesting curiosity as well. Can be grown underground at farms.

that's all I can think of at the moment... I'm still testing stuff, but... :D I'm open to any and all suggestions. If we're going to make SBII, we might as well do it right... right?

edit:
I;ve also noticed that the wiki seems to have burned out on activity. i am disapproving of this because it seems there's only 1-3 of us who knows anything about it.
I would read back through the entire thread to get more info, but that would involve GOING BACK IN THERE. *shudders*
Yeah.... I can see how that particular bit would be... Damaging, for some psyches. Especially since Talvieno is currently unable to maintain the second post.
I've been through most of it three times. XD
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 02:13:28 am by Talvieno »

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
  • And again everything goes wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8747 on: July 09, 2013, 02:07:20 am »

....... holy crap Talvi you've been busy. *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap*
I (somehow) wield a marble coffin that i fill with the corpses of all I have slain (to make an already heavy object even heavier) in one hand, and the other holds a book made out out of fucking platinum. The book can crush skulls, and the coffin grows ever stronger and now that is has a few dead dragons in it, it sends people flying a mile backwards to explode in a pile of gore. Gore which I then place into the coffin,

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8748 on: July 09, 2013, 02:23:04 am »

Thank you, thank you. *bows* This has been occupying my free time a lot more than writing Vanya's story has, admittedly, but I didn't have access to the forums, or backups of most of the earlier chapters. >.> This is now rectified.

A few things to note.

Domestics very, very rarely ever turn. This is because generally, if a Spawn reaches a domestic animal, said animal is screwed. In fact, it's much simpler just to let said animal die. Creatures that aren't regular domestics are free from this, as are:
 - Dogs
 - Cats
 - Cavies
 - and rabbits.
Simply because the Spawnified claws and the 3 toes of those creatures aren't compatible with the spawn-turning stuff without throwing a few bugs... but I'm sure we can come up with something much more satisfying in-story.

Holistic Spawn are apparently capable of riding giant mosquitos, even in the Spearbreakers Mk I mod, but we had the extremely good fortune not to meet with them. I wasn't so lucky.

Megaspawn are monsters. I hate them. They're not invincible, especially when you have armored dwarves, but as the creature is so freaking huge, a single swipe of the claws can BISECT an unarmored, unclothed dwarf. Yes, I said bisect. And yes, I said unclothed. I've done loads of arena testing, trying to balance everything out, but megaspawn defy tests. They're a lot easier to kill in fortress mode, at least.

Railguns take forever to fire, and I made them somewhat weaker. They no longer send Spawn flying backwards 50 tiles. I've shortened it to 5-10.

Serrated disc launchers are lightweight, but the ammo is FREAKING HEAVY. It's to be expected, I suppose - you're firing serrated discs. They're a little more balanced now, and they no longer bisect armored opponents. They can easily bisect puny creatures such as elves, though, and it's not just uncommon, but rare to NOT sever a limb or two.

Mugbows are fun. They send enemies flying back a step or two and can easily knock sentients unconscious (due to pain, but we'll say they got conked over the head with an oversized mug.)

I have the raws, and I have access to DFFD... I may upload it for testing by select previous overseers, but I'm going to wait for Splint's go-ahead on that.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 02:29:07 am by Talvieno »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8749 on: July 09, 2013, 02:33:03 am »

Hey, think we can get more beautiful added? [/jest]

But yes, this is just a WOW! A Ballpoint Banana! moment.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8750 on: July 09, 2013, 02:38:02 am »

Hey, Asea! I wanted to add Stone Inc. stuff, but wasn't sure how to go about doing it. They haven't had much of a presence on the ground, and I was unsure how I could work them into the mod without them seeming like, "A wild Stone Inc. appears!" from nowhere. Basically, I wanted it to make sense in canon.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8751 on: July 09, 2013, 02:47:18 am »

Trading race? I dunno, I think of the group as a secretive group, dumping in people so far it looks like they have always been there. Besides that, its just your basic dwarven place. Trade, cavern cities, mercs, booze.

You may be able to get in some basic goods for trading, perhaps a pulse weapon. I know they can be done in game, if need be make a robot of some sort. But yah, armor, tools, weapons, ammo.
Got any winter traders?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8752 on: July 09, 2013, 03:22:39 am »

I've managed to get trading races down to... 2 per season, and none in the winter. The first four years or so won't see anybody special, and elves are effectively replaced by ferric elves. Parasol, scythods, and so forth will eventually come to trade, but that won't be til a little later. But no, no winter traders. If people think it'd be a good idea, there shouldn't be any problem with it. :)

I could probably add Stone Inc flavor armor/weaponry. That'd work pretty well, and wouldn't cause issues. Pulse weapon, not so much... ammo has to be solid, unfortunately. :\ I could give dwarves a pulse "attachment" (i.e. turn them into a separate caste with the ability to fire globs of stuff), but that'd be pretty game-breaking, in my experience. The radiation mod used to do that. Bad stuff happened. like... rabbits out in the wilderness in adventure mode killing you because they have radiation sickness and have "superpowers" enabling them to spray you with fire. It wasn't pretty. I took it out. :P No more comic-book mutations.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8753 on: July 09, 2013, 05:15:36 am »

I just assumed the radiation storms were a crapshoot. Either you lived (And wound up likely bed-ridden for a while due to constant vomiting and general weakness and possibly necrosis that needed to be taken care of with surgery) or died horribly. hell I made a page for the Ballpoint Stranded for SBII and one of the reasons they had to bunker down was a nice steady stream of radiation deaths when they passed through savage areas.

Also Welcome Back Talvieno, been too damn long!

I will say though I had in mind for the Native Railguns to be ridiculously overpowered and harder to acquire due to absolutely needing steel or adamantine components. Meanwhile what Ballpoint and Parasol bring are easier to get but aren't the "Turn-you-to-paste-on-a-tree" type weapons. Also I can vouch for the dis launchers. An unskilled mechanic who dabbled in hunting was able to kill two white tigermen with one before the rest killed him. Lopped off a leg each and they bled out.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8754 on: July 09, 2013, 05:40:39 am »

Talvi... you... did you...
CROSSBREED DWARVES AND ELVES?

Kidding, kidding! But still, you have been busy...
You win my Spheal of Approval :D

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8755 on: July 09, 2013, 06:33:32 am »

Guys! I may have found a way to save Fisher!

Linky!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=128218.msg4386493;topicseen#msg4386493

I think deconstruction's been tried to no avail. Pity.

Quote from: the great Talvieno
-snip-

oh
my
god

YOU ARE AMAZING, YOU KNOW THAT?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8756 on: July 09, 2013, 06:58:49 am »

Reudh's Journal - A setback?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I figured I'd try a different character. Reudh's gonna have a rest for a little while while Tedaz and Strohe have their own adventure.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8757 on: July 09, 2013, 08:44:40 am »

If you lot want another trade race, shove Stone in for the winter. Also, Stone makes a sort of robot with a pulse weapon, so you could always get that in. Theres an image somewhere around here...
Highly Opinionated Fool

soulslicerjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8758 on: July 09, 2013, 06:09:08 pm »

My thoughts (in no particular order):
  • OH GOD.  You actually added manamaids.  Just why, talvi, WHY!?
  • As for the horrors that are megaspawn, What did you expect when you made them that big?  Anything less monstrous would be a disappointment, unless you took into account the square/cube law which would just make them pitiful.
  • I'm interested in hearing the qualitative properties of these two new materials and what the point of making them would be.
  • Radiation sounds interesting.  I wonder how it'll affect terrifying (evil/savage) biomes.
  • How exactly do ferric elves differ from elves in unmodded DF?
  • Do you think you created enough chainsaw weapons?  Also, buzzhammers, how would that even work?

Ruedh: Good work!  Now get started on the next or I'll flay you alive and then throw you in a tub of salt.  (the request to yell at you so you get more work done is still in effect, right?)

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8759 on: July 09, 2013, 07:22:12 pm »

My thoughts (in no particular order):
  • How exactly do ferric elves differ from elves in unmodded DF?

They use metal, (and from their name) primarily iron and steel.
Pages: 1 ... 582 583 [584] 585 586 ... 815