Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 583 584 [585] 586 587 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2197958 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #8760 on: July 09, 2013, 07:38:17 pm »

My thoughts (in no particular order):
  • How exactly do ferric elves differ from elves in unmodded DF?

They use metal, (and from their name) primarily iron and steel.

Iron and silver actually. Ferrics predate this mod in the form of fortress defense, being near suicidal and or vengeful.

EDIT: Also I had two ideas in mind for buzzhammers. one has a pressure plate that causes a pair of serrated discs to come whizzing out (adding horrific lacerations on top of potential broken bones) and one that has the saw as a separate attack (like a double bit axe or a fighting pick, with the hammer head one side and the saw on the other)

The primary benefit here is it permits smaller dwarves to use hammers as it gives the hammers an edged attack on top of thier blunt force one. Size is a big part of blunts weapons' effectivness and it was found that not only do fortress borns not grow quite to size but in general smaller individuals just can't use hammers/maces very well.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #8761 on: July 10, 2013, 12:03:44 am »

You could write some good stories about the ferrics. It's tragic really, their forests get burned to the ground, so they use the charred remains to fuel an iron-smelting frenzy, and then go on a killing spree.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8762 on: July 10, 2013, 12:30:23 am »

You could write some good stories about the ferrics. It's tragic really, their forests get burned to the ground, so they use the charred remains to fuel an iron-smelting frenzy, and then go on a killing spree.

"To defeat the enemy, we must become the enemy. But beware, queca, if we stare into the abyss, it stares back at us. Let us destroy the dwarves."

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
  • And again everything goes wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8763 on: July 10, 2013, 01:19:53 am »

My thoughts (in no particular order):
  • How exactly do ferric elves differ from elves in unmodded DF?

They use metal, (and from their name) primarily iron and steel.

Iron and silver actually. Ferrics predate this mod in the form of fortress defense, being near suicidal and or vengeful.

EDIT: Also I had two ideas in mind for buzzhammers. one has a pressure plate that causes a pair of serrated discs to come whizzing out (adding horrific lacerations on top of potential broken bones) and one that has the saw as a separate attack (like a double bit axe or a fighting pick, with the hammer head one side and the saw on the other)

The primary benefit here is it permits smaller dwarves to use hammers as it gives the hammers an edged attack on top of thier blunt force one. Size is a big part of blunts weapons' effectivness and it was found that not only do fortress borns not grow quite to size but in general smaller individuals just can't use hammers/maces very well.

I thought somebody already made a fix for the fortress born problem a while ago? and for my opinion do both forms of buzzhammers different models maybe?
I (somehow) wield a marble coffin that i fill with the corpses of all I have slain (to make an already heavy object even heavier) in one hand, and the other holds a book made out out of fucking platinum. The book can crush skulls, and the coffin grows ever stronger and now that is has a few dead dragons in it, it sends people flying a mile backwards to explode in a pile of gore. Gore which I then place into the coffin,

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8764 on: July 10, 2013, 01:48:34 am »

Hey, cool, Bay12 still works. :D

edit: it's not blocked, I mean.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8765 on: July 10, 2013, 02:04:38 am »

Huzzah, the great Talvieno shall continue to grace us with his presence!

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8766 on: July 10, 2013, 02:16:15 am »

Radiation storms are definitely a crapshoot. Some dwarves ooze blood all over your fortress in little smears, which can be somewhat aesthetic pleasing horrific at times... others just have their extremities fall off at random. It isn't pretty. Miasma is commonplace in these forts. However, interestingly enough, due to the nature of randomness in general, there is a greater chance that your military will be stronger for it, rather than weaker. HOWEVER. This is assuming you don't build a hospital. If you do, up to 75% of your dwarves will march over to it in a huge disorganized mob. And some of them actually go into permanent comas from it.

Interestingly, when a god turns someone into a mutant, there's a much greater chance that they'll become ruler of a civ, in much the same way as vampires do.

Re:Railguns: There's a minor issue with weaponry mods. No matter what you do, it's always possible to build said weapon at a forge. I don't care how many reactions you put into it - you can build it at a forge with nothing but metal bars. Not only that, with railguns, you can build them at BOWYER'S WORKSHOPS with nothing but wood, and a single piece, at that. That's just ridiculous, right? So I modded out the ability to make ranged weaponry out of wood and bone. :\ I know, it doesn't seem fair to poor bowyers... but it's the only way to have any semblance of balance to the gameplay. In exchange for this, railguns take large amounts of materials to manufacture (four times as much as a regular crossbow). It's not quite the same as having tons of steps, but it's the best I can do. Maybe there's a way around it... but I'm not a good enough modder to find it.

Quote from: Lolfail
Talvi... you... did you...
CROSSBREED DWARVES AND ELVES?
Yeah, I did. Bad idea? I could easily take them out, if the general consensus on it is a no-go.

YOU ARE AMAZING, YOU KNOW THAT?
XD Thanks, Reudh. :P If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I tried to come up with something Reudh-related for SBII, but couldn't think of anything specific, but if you have any ideas...

SOULSLICERJAMES:
1. Yes. I actually added manamaids. And why? I'm a cruel, sick, twisted bastard that loathes dwarves and wants to see them writhes. *nods* (sounds like a good explanation, doesn't it?) More seriously, they're referred to several times in canon, and it just seems justified, even if marginally so.
2. Yeah, no. They're 1333 times the size of dwarves. You guys wanted mega, so you guys get mega. They're a royal pain to kill, AND they can infect dwarves... but it just might be worth it for a little !!FUN!!.
3. Vampiric silver combines the qualities of steel and silver. It's heavy like silver, but sharp like steel. Carbon fiber is practically impenetrable, but can't hold an edge, and is light as a feather. It makes excellent cheap armor for dwarves, really, if you have some graphite lying around.
4. Radiation only affects living creatures, so there won't be mutant zombies, unfortunately. However, any non-undead creatures would turn into mutants - AND - mutants can turn into zombies. You could potentially have an angry zombie mutant giant mosquito rampaging through your fort, with likes_fighting tags and a 2x chance to hit, with a body size twice as big as a normal giant mosquito. That's a freaking big mosquito.
5. Ferric elves, apparently, come from a different mod. I didn't know. I made them from scratch. They have the ethics of regular elves, but have better weaponry so they put up more of a fight.
6. You can never have enough chainweapons. No, actually, we may have gone slightly overboard on the chainweapons. As to buzzhammers, I envisioned them as having a spinning saw blade at the top of the shaft, so you could do a quick whack-grind combo. It seems as though you strongly disapprove, though - perfect grounds for a debate.

Lolfail - I actually gave Ferric elves all metals, just for kicks. It's easily changed, though.

Splint: I used idea #2. I can't see how I could implement idea #1, anyway.

Reudh, Tahu: epic. XD Ferric elves could be very interesting indeed.

Zacen: I would very definitely do both forms, if I could figure out how. XD I think we're kind of turning this into some bizarre form of steampunk/scifi/fantasy/horror universe with all the spinning saw blades and gears and so forth. Tons of brass, anyone?

random:
Spawn heads never stop burning. I had an interesting time of it with my first test fortress. I was besieged by holistic spawn and then a FREAKING DRAGON decides to come along right in the middle of it. It set fire to everything (and everyone) before one of my marksdwarves got off a lucky shot and a group of holistic spawn finished it off. Another one of my marksdwarves shot one of the burning spawn with a serrated disc launcher (adamantine serrated discs and legendary skill for the win) and decapitated it. The head rolled down the hill and set every layer on fire... And then burned for the next two years, throwing a huge plume of smoke into the sky. It was WELCOME TO FUCKING TESTFORT. HOPE YOU LIKE SUFFOCATION BY SMOKE INHALATION, more or less.

Ninja'd by Lolfail. Heyaa. (:
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 02:36:07 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

soulslicerjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8767 on: July 10, 2013, 03:59:07 am »

6. You can never have enough chainweapons. No, actually, we may have gone slightly overboard on the chainweapons. As to buzzhammers, I envisioned them as having a spinning saw blade at the top of the shaft, so you could do a quick whack-grind combo. It seems as though you strongly disapprove, though - perfect grounds for a debate.

Actually I have no problem with the number of chainweapons, and merely surprised someone might put so much effort into making making so many of them.  With buzzhammers, I was asking out of plain curiosity and don't have a problem with them either.

To be honest, I even have an idea for another chainweapon, which I call the multi-saw.  It's similar to the Dead Rising 2's chainspear, but the business end would be 4 chainsaw blades in parallel, with no more than an inch between each.  It would be very powerful, but be really slow to swing and be overkill for most things, so you might want to save it for really tough visitors.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8768 on: July 10, 2013, 04:59:18 am »

And lo was it learned that the halls fo some fortresses are likened to the entrance to Hades itself, their maws filled with terrifying screeching machine that suck the likes of goblin and xelic in, and spit only the twisted shredded remains out.

EDIT:We could have railguns use the misc. object user skill instead of the marksman skill, which may, in theory, prevent it from being some stupidly easy to assemble weapon because of the game's coding. That might work and additionally it could possibly be restricted to its own workshop.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8769 on: July 10, 2013, 09:07:52 am »

Thats a good idea.

Also: I want that test port.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

soulslicerjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8770 on: July 12, 2013, 05:18:28 am »

Disclaimer: The following is being posted to evoke a response, and therefore keep this thread from dying
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Am I evil for this or what?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8771 on: July 12, 2013, 07:47:02 am »

Two things

1. What sort of hellspawn would dare be so cruel as to inflict that upon the world?

2. That's way too cheap for brain bleach when manamaids are involved.

tomio175

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8772 on: July 12, 2013, 03:04:08 pm »

Two things

1. What sort of hellspawn would dare be so cruel as to inflict that upon the world?

1. SSJ, obviously.

2. Depends on the price/liter.
...You're arguing with the GM? Why don't you argue with Jesus about how much Peter liked clams?
Because each player's delicious tears are fuel for the continued torture that is the Warrens of Oric the Awesome.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8773 on: July 12, 2013, 10:01:58 pm »

Two things

1. That's what SSJ uses to keep the hellspawn in line.

2. I can remove your brain entirely for that cost, if you prefer.

soulslicerjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8774 on: July 13, 2013, 06:32:23 am »

First off, I feel it's sad that I only managed to get three responses in a day.  Also, I put up a disclaimer, used a spoiler, and even provided brain bleach.  What more do you want if I feel I need to bring up that to keep this thread from dying?

On a related note, as a matter of honor, I must avenge all perceived insults, no matter how justified they may be.  To that end, I will see to it that in Spearbreakers 2, Both Splint and Tomio will have their own private rooms, and those rooms will be decorated with statues of manamaids.  May god have mercy on your souls, for I sure won't.

Edit: Due to the post below, that goes for Lolfail too.  Remember, I must avenge all perceived insults, no matter how justified they may be.  Even in cases such as these where I must admit they are fully justified.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 08:11:19 am by soulslicerjames »
Pages: 1 ... 583 584 [585] 586 587 ... 815