Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 609 610 [611] 612 613 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2199969 times)

Lt_Alfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #9150 on: September 29, 2013, 10:25:23 am »

I sure do hope my dwarf isn't too good a weaponsmith, that would ruin my chances of joining the Spearbreakers army :D

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9151 on: September 29, 2013, 10:30:56 am »

Had the migrants shown up a little sooner you would have replaced Ranger or Hopper. Now I'm gonna get some sleep. Been up Waaaaaaaaaytoo long.

Cynm

• Bay Watcher
  • For the Swarm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9152 on: September 30, 2013, 11:23:30 am »

This is a small hide-bound journal with the name 'Cynm' carved into the cover. It is covered in blood.

Cynm's Journal, Entry 17
Today I became a military dwarf. With all of the recent casualties, the overseer has decided to draft basically every single dwarf in the fortress who can fight. I was put into the Ironbreakers, under the command of Feb. I'd never met the dwarf before, and he seems quite competent, if not exactly sane. I have no idea how anyone could be expected to train so many new recruits in the intervals between attacks here at Spearbreakers. I've heard rumors of a Spawn Combat Simulator, I wonder what that will be like.

Cynm's Journal, Entry 18
No more wondering. Not fun. Can't write, too sober.

Cynm's Journal, Entry 19
Training is over, now comes the real test, there are spawn outside, I can hear them howling. The Ironbreakers are being sent out to meet the spawn. I can only hope that we are ready.

There is a gap in the entry here, denoted by a blank space and a smear of dried blood.

We were ready. We faced the Spawn on the blood plains of Spearbreakers and won. There was blood everywhere, barbarian, spawn and dwarf, but mostly barbarian and spawn. One of the Morningstars died, I didn't really know him. I hope that's the last of the spawn we see for a while.

Cynm's Journal, Entry 20
A human siege has arrived, dozens of humans on bears. I've noticed that bears seem to be inordinately popular with the armies arrayed against Spearbreakers, it's strange. Anyway, humans charged the gates, humans turned into fine red mist and assorted chunks and giblets, remaining humans fled. No dwarf was even hurt.

Cynm's Journal, Entry 21
We had to fight more spawn today, but not the invading kind. Ranger and AussieEvil both turned into spawn and had to be put down. I didn't know Aussie, I'm not even sure he was in the military, but I knew Ranger. I was sad to see him go. We have a new recruit, Dorsidorf, here's hoping he lasts.

Cynm's Journal, Entry 22
Migrants, eight of them, arrived today. I don't know any of them but Asea sounds familiar, I can't think why.

(OOC, I'm assuming that my dwarf took part in the fighting.)
"In case of stairs, use fire"

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9153 on: September 30, 2013, 11:27:34 am »

He did. And Alfred, looks like you get your chance to shine in the Morningstars. Veiro's gone.

Lt_Alfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9154 on: September 30, 2013, 05:40:21 pm »

Weeeee!

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs.
« Reply #9155 on: September 30, 2013, 07:16:51 pm »

If losing is fun, Spearbreakers is fucking Disney World.

OP

This is pure SPEARBREAKERS at it's undead holistic spawn soul.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9156 on: September 30, 2013, 07:19:13 pm »

oh gods....

Where is the Master then? *pleaselethimbefaraway,pleaselethimbefarawayidontwanthimtokillme...*
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9157 on: September 30, 2013, 11:38:19 pm »

2nd Timber, 211

We've begun clearing the caverns of excess trees and columns of stone. I figure it'll make manuvers down there easier as well as supply us with some extra gems, stone, ore, and wood.

9th Timber, 211

Why did I think last month was the end of fall? Well we got rid of those damned elkbirds we had clogging our cages. Some of the others (I didn't bother to ask who'd done the training,) got them to behave long enough to be taken to the chop shops. And I may have been imagining it, but I could have sworn the elk birds and emu were giving stares of pure hate at eachother. Maybe it's some kind of large flightless bird racism.

Anyway, we hit a snag with a little troop of crundles. Gods, even that just sounds... Wrong. Sounds like a part of someone's body you'd never want to see. But hey, Cabo did a great job in making them go from "Crundle" to "Crundle chunklets."

12th Timber, 211

Cabo's been doing a good job of clearing the caverns of hostile things while the miners and woodcutters do their jobs. He bagged a green devourer and a blind cave ogre along with the previously mentioned crundles. Solpyre named his pike too.

Somberdizzolved, The Hame of Lyrics. That's... What? Granted I've heard some stupid names for gear but still.

13th Timber, 211

That fucking voracious cave crawler the tamers insist we keep scared me shitless today. Stupid worm.

19th Timber, 211

Greenskins. Thought I smelled something off. But if they want to die it's their choice. Such fragile little greenskins... They break so easy. Unfortunately I've also had to learn that yet another dwarf has been found to potentially have spawn fever. Veiro s exhibiting the same symptoms that Ranger did, so she's volunteered to take one of the goblin squads alone. I... I have ill will against her, but I honestly do hope she dies out there to spare her squadmates from having to put her down in the likely event she turns.

The Bloody Brush and Ironbreakers are going to be held in reserve. Fischer's Frist s heading uphill to take on the gobliins camped there while the Morningstars holed the main gate with Veiro heading out to take on a squad of macegoblins alone. The Bladeguard are going to meet the enemy near the old spikewalk entrance and wipe out ever is stupid enough to take them on; the estimates have at least a few trolls will be heading their way.

Here's to us if we win.

-

We saw Veiro go down from up here. She knocked the teeth out of one's head based on the stuff we saw fly from one she shield bashed but one got her from behind. The axe and pike goblins broek ranks and ran after thier leaders died, not that it looks like it really helped them much. the Bladeguard tore the trolls a new one too; didn't think one could paint a field with three trolls, but I guess they have a lot of blood in them, and the Morningstars have been named as Morningstar Veterans, except for Ergo Fairlodge, who failed to get a kill. They were swift and brutal in their execution of the goblins, and special mention from Kreia was Sus, who took down the goblin hammerlord leading the squad.

I've been noticing something odd though.... Oiltuke and Veiro seemed to have bled the same stuff I'm told a dead soldier named Krypta bled... I don't know what to make of this but I think it may have to do with the drugs Mr Frog pumps into the training room.

20th Timber, 211

Someone found Iki with his throat slashed. None of us held any ill will towards him, so I'm guessing it was one of the blackwhites. But why? We've also found Verio. We saw her go down but it took us a bit to find her corpse in all the weeds and brush.

21st Timber, 211

Someone actually adopted that damned worm! Who in the fuck is such a lunatic that they like those things?!

-

Turns out, Lor does. She's been feeding it chunks of spawn and goblins and honestly that crap can't be healthy for it. Regardless though, she's a fuckin' weirdo.

28th Timber, 211

I checked on Russet today, and she's ambulatory again. Her arm looks like a patchwork blanket with all the stitches she got and she seems to have a minor infection in one of her fingers but that likely won't bother her aside from the itching she's been showing. The doctors all said she shouldn't scratching the stiches but the little idiot won't listen. Stupid noble.

8th Moonstone, 211

Olm flipped her shit today. Started screaming about some idea or another and threw a box full of refined metal at Corai. She's holed up in a mason's shop and leaves every so often screaming about gems and rocks, so she'll probably be a damned fine mason at the end of this.

11th Moonstone, 211

Olm finished her little project. The look on her face practically screams she's famished and exhausted. I would be too if I'd been up for three days straight gathering junk to make a... Well actually a pretty fancy grate.

15th Moonstone, 211

We had an unused room so I decided to fill it with a record of great beasts our champions have taken out. The first ten going in the record room are Kob, Dirlu, Mogast, On, Spos, Ugeth, Zospu, Ebra, Usan, and Kutsmob.

24th Moonstone, 211

Another thing showed up. Some kind of abomination the blackwhites claim no responsibility for. We got off lucky though, it's trapped by fungitrees and rock.

26th Moonstone, 211

Russet finally lifted that stupid ban on leather armor exports. We don't export them anyway, so why she made the damned mandate to start with is beyond me. LT Alfred volunteered to take Verio's place. It's odd since he's a decent enough weaponsmith. What's more odd is nobody objected, which is surprising since I was under the impression dwarves in the smithing guilds are considered too valuable to risk in melee units... Huh.

2nd Opal, 211

There was a digging accident near the magma vent this afternoon. Megaman almost took a dip in the blood of Armok, but other than getting knocked on his ass, he's fine. I think.

7th Opal, 211

Finally got that hole in the store room plugged. Some of the carpenters bolted some chestnut planks over it. Now we don't need to worry about greenskins or humans flying or roping into the fortress.

10th Opal, 211

Was doing some inspections and found out that Ranger, Aussieevil, and Splint weren't buried. Nobody wanted to touch the former two and nobody has a set of keys to Splint's doors. We had to ask Talvieno to make some since she's the best metalworker in the fortress. This has since been rectified; thank Armok we had the good foresight to make memorial stones for them or we probably would have had a bunch of pissed ghosts wailing on us.

16th Opal, 211

Finished the renovations to the armory. Now we have a nice and proper arsenal room, complete with office space and a room for whoever's in charge of equipment. There's a green glass statue of a dwarf bearing a pike menacingly by the arsenaldwarf's office while by the armor stands and weapon racks is a green glass statue of two armored rats striking menacing poses. Olm made both, and she seems to have an odd fascination with the vermin.

So yeah, we're on the home stretch boys and girls! The new arsenal room was where the old underground barracks was and leads  right into our massive stock of miscellaneous weaponry and shields, we got people buried who needed burying, and some minor stuff got done. I honestly hope a seige comes on the last day or two of Obsidian so I can end the fortress on a nice Bolivian Army ending note.

Cynm

• Bay Watcher
  • For the Swarm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9158 on: October 01, 2013, 02:04:29 am »

I had to go to TvTropes to find out what a Bolivian Army Ending was, but now that I know, are we actually going to see the end of the fortress, or will that be left to interpretation?

I was just thinking, what if Spearbreakers didn't fall? Spearbreakers two could take place while Spearbreakers was still around, perhaps Spearbreakers could be the base for parasol operations in this world.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9159 on: October 01, 2013, 08:48:17 pm »

We may have to do a Bolivian Army Ending. I still firmly believe no force in this world or the one below can put Fischer in the ground (or Dauros, for that matter).
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9160 on: October 02, 2013, 02:10:32 am »

The three things that can conceivably put either of them down are fire throwing, web slinging, and toxin spewing titans/FBs, and the former two couldn't actually manage that.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #9161 on: October 02, 2013, 10:05:16 am »

Still, I lol'd inside upon seeing that Fischer has killed the same goblin so many times that s/he's probably gotten bored of it.

This has amused me...greatly. Thought you people might enjoy this tidbit of Spearbreakers terrifying past.

Edit:Just read bit about dorfing Vanya...didn't the discoverer of Cacame have a way of making beings of other races part of his civ? As I remember, he had "turned" some elves, goblins, etc... Oh Terry(who knows the reference), now someone is going to make some SPAWN or MANAMAIDS part of our civ...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 01:29:42 pm by TalonisWolf »
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:

Cynm

• Bay Watcher
  • For the Swarm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9162 on: October 02, 2013, 11:20:13 am »

If I remember correctly, manamaids aren't in the raws of this world, but I could be wrong. I think one of Splint's stories had manamaids as part of a coalition army.

We've also seen spawn as part of goblin armies, so spawn could conceivably integrate with dwarven society sometime further along in their evolution.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9163 on: October 02, 2013, 11:49:09 am »

They're capable of speech, albeit a grating, horrifying, raspy speech when not howling and slavering for blood, or at least that's how I always imagined them speaking. I rolled with two spawn that lived in a human fortress once (and the humans were the dominant ones and do surprisingly well against them.)

Manamaids are going to be an enemy in SBII, as will scythods and Ballpoint stranded.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #9164 on: October 02, 2013, 06:21:34 pm »

Oh, the humans are still trying to load up the endless flood of useless shit we sold them. They might actually go insane before they load up and leave.

Dwarf: Here, have some mugs.
Human: Alright, let's load 'em up.
*Three months later*
Human: Where are all these fucking mugs coming from?!? Is this some kind of sick joke, you little bearded liver?!

This had me laughing like a maniac for 23 minutes...despite being sick. I award you:

The Oscar for Biggest Clusterfuck

(Crap, don't know how to copy/paste images using IPad...hate Mac Interface)

Edit: I will post image when I go to library. Yay for windows!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 10:35:14 pm by TalonisWolf »
GENERATION 32:
Pages: 1 ... 609 610 [611] 612 613 ... 815