Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 611 612 [613] 614 615 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178117 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #9180 on: October 06, 2013, 08:00:55 pm »

had to revert to older saves a coupled times but those were due to turns going unfinished.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9181 on: October 07, 2013, 10:02:45 am »

23rd Opal, 211

Finally got around to starting clean-up. Bodies, piles of bashed out teeth, bones, corpses, junk to foist on merchants or give the bigger blackwhites. Hell, some actually offered to buy them. "Historical artifacts" or some such nonsense. Hell, if they want this garbage they're welcome to it.

28th Opal, 211

Colonel Fischer made it known that the 18th of this years is going to be considered.... Well, not so much a holiday but you get the idea journal. Day of Rememberance, because several long-time residents died. Some of the troops have started taking the spawn's fanged, split-mawed skulls and mounting them under a banner that was put in the dining hall. Both serve as a grim reminder of just how fast things can go south for us. The banner depicts dwarves and spawn fighting and spawn and dwarves. In the latter image, the dwarves are dead, and the spawn are laughing.

5th Obsidian, 211

More and more of the blackwhites are starting to arrive, most of them via the bloodplains in these terrifyingly loud undrawn metal wagons, some on them and more through that funny door in Mr Frog's lab. Something big is about to go down, that much is clear.

9th Obsidan, 211

Engi wanted to let me know the crossbow she uses is no long available for general use unless she's dead. Dunno why I needed to be bothered with something that, well, that stupid.

12th Obsidian, 211

The jaguars seem lost without the Duke around to shadow. They've been laying out where he was killed as if they were depressed.... SO has Thumper's freakishly large forest boar. Talvieno's been feeding the jaguars and bringing them water; I guess her love of those cavies has given her a bit of an innate understanding of how the animals feel when they lose their owners or something. The boar's been rooting around in the walls for roots and bugs when it gets hungry.

18th Obsidian, 211

Well shit. Just got word from Terrahex, more undead are bearing down on us. Honestly we haven't seen hide nor hair of the necromancers or their hordes in so long I was under the impression Sergeant Paintbrush had wiped most of them out during his term as Overseer. There's 107 in total, all human and goblin remains. Something seems odd about them though. They look unmistakably dead, but they don't have the usual tattered gear zombies should have... They all seem to be wearing gray coats and trousers...

The troops have been mobilized. I don't care who sent these abominations, we'll send them back to where they belong.

28th Obsidian, 211

This fucking figures. The spawn came right in and we're still trying to clear out the undead. It doesn't look like these bastards came alone either. We can all see what look like some kind of giant floating castle or box or something out on the horizon. But everyone's ready, Parasol included. They may have us caught in the middle, but we'll all be damned if we're going to sit this battle out.

So my dear journal, I say let them come, spawn, mercs, and zombies, and may Armok have mercy on them all, because we certainly won't.

So, there you have it everyone, sorry for the shitty anticlimax/bolivian army ending. Spearbreakers has now ended as far as gameplay is concerned. The fighting hasn't finished just yet, but the timing of both sieges meant that the fighting would last until probably into the first week of Granite. The spawn came in hot on the heels of a leaderless horde of zombies, with the Bladeguard getting to say hello to the first group of Spawn while they were smashing headlong into  a pack of zeds. There's still the Timewar stories that need to be wrapped up though and the thread should by no means die just because gameplay is over.

We can still use the thread to discuss ideas and whatnot for the next game. This has been absolutely wonderful guys, I mean it, and I'm happy we did so much with this fort. Seriously guys, I couldn't have asked for better people to play this fort with.

I'll be posting the save when I finish the fighting.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9182 on: October 07, 2013, 02:33:12 pm »

I met a traveller from an barren land
Who said: A massive fist reaching the sky.
Stands on a plain of blood. Near it, in a hill,
Half collapsed, a darkened gate appears, where
monsters, men, and brave warriors alike have
met untimely end on merciless steel.
which yet survive, menacing far below.
The gates which saved them, kept them safe in stone.
And on that mighty gate these words appear:
"My name is Splint, overseer of overseers:"
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. From the rubble and
reek of that colossal wreck, empty and cold
Creeps forth evil to the rest of the world.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There. That seems appropriate.

This has been a hell of a ride guys, though I came a bit late to join in the shenanigans. And so ends the tale of Spearbreakers, I wish there was more I could say.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #9183 on: October 08, 2013, 02:01:27 am »

*thunderous applause*

I'd been hoping to finish my necromancer story as a surprise to y'all, but I'll just say that nothing good ever comes of procrastination and leave it at that :)

In my particular version of a perfect world, Spearbreakers II would remain connected canonwise to the first, but be far enough removed for newbies to be able to jump in with just a short intro and contribute without fear of screwing things up. I've been dying to hop back on the crazy train with all the lessons I learned the first time around, but I'm sooooo lost with all the backstory. I also really miss the early days where it was a blank slate and everyone was free to create and stuff.

I know I wasn't really around much for the latter half of this, but I'm still very happy I was a part of it. When Splint first contacted me over a year ago, I was a complete shut-in -- borderline hikkikomori (to quote my Japanese friend), even. I was completely cut-off from the world around me. I'd never shared any of my writing or art with anyone. I'd never had a proper job. I rarely even spoke to anyone. I was basically human garbage in the most literal sense of the term -- just sort of sitting there, not doing anyone any good. This project was literally the first time I had ever engaged with others in any functional capacity, and in doing so, I came to learn my place in the world a little better -- what I had to offer to others, what was expected of me, what I could expect from people. I'm finally starting to open up to the world now, making friends, getting an entry-level job and taking basic acting classes (what's the harm, really?), and I think Spearbreakers was the first step on the path to where I am today. Thank you, Splint. And Talvi, wherever you are.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9184 on: October 08, 2013, 09:26:59 am »

We dragged people out of the woodwork, made it into the hall of legends, and even helped someone with some issues.

All in all, I'd say this fort has done great good.

Cynm

• Bay Watcher
  • For the Swarm
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11, finished)
« Reply #9185 on: October 08, 2013, 03:11:14 pm »

Spearbreakers, where hordes of zombies and mostly dead abominations are therapeutic.
"In case of stairs, use fire"

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11, finished)
« Reply #9186 on: October 08, 2013, 03:36:13 pm »

I just feel the need to say this, my masterwork fort has produced three artifact mugs since I finished Spearbreakers.

Those dwarves.

They know.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9187 on: October 08, 2013, 08:39:15 pm »

I wonder if the necromancers have finally come back for there books.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #9188 on: October 10, 2013, 02:57:26 am »

Hey guys, I wrote a... well, actually, I'm not sure what the hell to call it. I suppose you could call it an attempt at poetry by someone who knows nothing about poetry and largely holds poetry in active contempt.

*ahem*

In a barren land drenched in blood,
amid the scars of a forgotten war,
sits a relic of dwarven tenacity.
Its halls are empty now.
Those who walked them are long gone.
Cheers of victory,
cries of sorrow,
and the everyday bustle of life
have given way to dead, silent stillness.

Not all has yet been obliterated, however.
A laboratory full of unimaginable wonders,
rusted and worn beyond use or recognition.
Small books and sheafs of paper,
illegible from wear, save for a star-shaped sigil.
Piles of mugs, artfully-crafted,
now smashed and eroded into dust.
Memories of a bygone day,
outliving those who once treasured them.
Soon even they will come to oblivion.

In a barren land drenched with blood,
amid the scars of a forgotten war,
a cold, unfeeling wind blows.
No more joy.
No more pain.
No more life.
There is nothing here now.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9189 on: October 10, 2013, 04:00:29 am »

Yay, poetry!
Time to contribute!

*cough cough*

Red blood of those dead and dying
And black of those those born again in unholy flame
Taints this sighing land
Forever marred in time and space
Forever unto nevermore.

Halls once vibrant reverberate with
The sounds of those left behind
To stalk this bloody land
Forever drenched in eternal war
Forever unto nevermore.

Piles of artifacts, mundane and masterful alike
Lay under rotten, decomposing corpses
That will remain
Forever forgotten by those left
Forever unto nevermore.

Seven arrived, many arrived, many more died
And one shall never live
As she did before she defended
Forever against darkness and death
Forever unto nevermore.

The legacy of that place
Is darker than blackest night
And feared by fear itself
Such that it will live until eternity meets
Forever and nevermore.

(I'll work on my final[?] LFTON piece tomorrow or Saturday)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 04:03:48 am by Lolfail0009 »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9190 on: October 10, 2013, 03:18:46 pm »

I think i had written something in poem form for this...
Last year.

I think it was burned...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9191 on: October 10, 2013, 04:49:53 pm »

I think these poems belong in the OP, they're all pretty good.

Also, has anyone heard from Talvieno lately? He was pretty involved in this, and now the fort has officially fallen(?)

I'm not asking because I'd like to see the end of A Skulker's Tale. Honest.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9192 on: October 10, 2013, 04:50:39 pm »

He's barred from accessing the forums from time to time. I'm sure we'll hear from him eventually.

Cynm

• Bay Watcher
  • For the Swarm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9193 on: October 10, 2013, 05:28:51 pm »

Seeing as poetry seems to be popular here.

The Ballad of Spearbreakers.

Seven brave dwarves sent on a quest
To found a fortress proud
To stand against the undead hordes
And hold the bloody ground.

First came the rule of Splint the Great.
Then came the mad cavy.
Next the brilliant scientist,
Who spiked all the drinks.

Now Draignean the self absorbed,
Took the up fortress reins.
Next up was Sus the accented
Who lead as well he could.

Then Mitch fixed up the hospital,
And Paintbrush lead the fort.
Splint took the reins a second year,
And fixed the damage wrought.

Ruedh led the fort as well he could,
Given how drugged he was
Tomio led and the very next year
Splint took the lead again.

And now we leave the final year,
Led by a less known dwarf.
Spearbreakers story comes to its end.
A violent, bloody tale

This is written in common meter, and as such, can be sung to the tune of a great many songs, including House of the Rising Sun, Amazing Grace and the theme song from Gillian's Isle.
"In case of stairs, use fire"

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9194 on: October 12, 2013, 09:11:21 pm »

When will the save file be posted? I wish to explore this fort in Adventurer Mode.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.
Pages: 1 ... 611 612 [613] 614 615 ... 815