Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 632 633 [634] 635 636 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2197636 times)

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11, finished)
« Reply #9495 on: November 07, 2013, 06:07:31 pm »

I keep meaning to keep up to date on this fort, but I have the stupidly bad luck to always try checking when the forums go down. >.> Never mind my miserably bad memory.

... I also see that the fortress has ended. I have a few pages to catch up on, it seems...

I feel your pain...

This...affliction is much more painful when you read the whole Battlefailed series thread, reach the end of Horrorfailed... and realize you should have just read the PDF.

:-\

Good Luck!
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

ChaosMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11, finished)
« Reply #9496 on: November 07, 2013, 11:16:12 pm »

i just want to say this to everyone...

after almost a month of reading (given that i can only read so much on the job corps computers), ive read almost the ENTIRE thread of spearbreakers...DAMN it was a long haul to the finish!

guess this makes me inellgible to run the fort in spearbreakers 2?

(also decided my dwarf is going to be the reclusive adivce giver for the fort if we do the journel story thing again...by the way did vanya's story ever finish?)
<Chaos? Normal-, Death on untold levels? eeehhh need more popcorn, Adamantium? Shiney! The Circus? Isnt that where the clowns live? Burning elves and using their race as a insult-Definetly a dwarf!>
<dying's half the fun, and all the FUN!>-Grombardrim

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9497 on: November 07, 2013, 11:52:52 pm »

It didn't get finished, neither was the fighting involving Sewaturet, my own part that was meant to lead in to original Frog killing Joseph by way of Eris employee incompetence/neglectfulness (put off hooking up a megaportal to a separate generator from that fancy shieldy thing keeping you un-cratered by artillery and you get a trashed in-dimension base kids.) Talvieno simply hasn't had a chance to work on it I'm guess, while I just plain haven't been able to motivate myself to do anything.

ChaosMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9498 on: November 08, 2013, 01:17:54 am »

welp, i know what ill wanyt included in the next spearbreakers...

MUG-A-PULTS!!! the ammunition should be pitchblend mugs for this radioactivity! not only do the mugs somtimes kill the enemy! but they get a dose of radiation to boot! and the small chance of the mugs splitting an atom thus creating a nuclear blast! (essentially making a 6 by 6 square area into a radioactive crater where nothing every grows...)

mug-a-pults...a spearbreakers best artilliary freind since the ballista that shoots out a bolt shaped like a mug!!

i think i just beat the dead mug now... :)
<Chaos? Normal-, Death on untold levels? eeehhh need more popcorn, Adamantium? Shiney! The Circus? Isnt that where the clowns live? Burning elves and using their race as a insult-Definetly a dwarf!>

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9499 on: November 08, 2013, 01:42:36 am »

Radiation != Implemented

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9500 on: November 08, 2013, 01:52:35 am »

Radiation != Implemented

IIRC there was a dfhack mod that implements a prototype of it - it functions vaguely like 'evil weather'

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9501 on: November 08, 2013, 07:11:20 pm »

Actually the mod includes radiation storms that crop up in untamed wilds (dunno about other savage regions.) The results might be good, but are usually bad, ranging from possibly a much stronger tougher dorf or a very dead one. Unless Talvieno changed something with that and made it negative only.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9502 on: November 08, 2013, 07:26:52 pm »

The radiation mod (answering this now while I can) is based on Mr Frog's design (not taking credit for it, that's a bit too much awesome for me to be capable of :P ). Basically, one in every two to four savage regions are "radiation zones" that affect all life that enters. This includes animals both above and below ground, as well as sentients.

Statistically speaking, more dwarves get bad effects than good effects. Also statistically speaking, a mutated army is more powerful than an normal army simply by virtue of the fact that the "stronger" mutated dwarves are powerful enough to make up for their "weaker" mutated allies.

They also used to have superpowers, but I took that out. Getting your fortress overrun by firebreathing rabbits isn't a good way to go in a succession game.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Cynm

• Bay Watcher
  • For the Swarm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9503 on: November 09, 2013, 12:23:50 am »

Getting overrun by fire-breathing rabbits does sound interesting though.
"In case of stairs, use fire"

ChaosMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9504 on: November 09, 2013, 12:40:05 am »

most appropriatly if we can tame the little bastards...have our own monster from the monty python the holy grail setting...

hehe...

instead of one killer rabbit....

There shall be MANY And all will be butchered like lambs under their deadly sharp teeth!

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9505 on: November 09, 2013, 01:06:02 am »

@Talvi:

That sucks. Hope things finally get back into order eventually. I'm really happy that you have a job, though.
It's not quite what I expected. :\ Apparently my skills as a 3D modeler far outweigh my skills as a programmer. Not something I was happy with finding out, but, eh.
link to a stuff i made.

I'll list you as 'against' for one of the Frogs becoming a vamp. (Poop.) I'd like to pretend that your opinion on the matter doesn't mean much, but as far as I'm concerned yours is pretty much second only to Splint's (comes with the territory of being awesome). I guess I just don't like the idea of my characters growing old and dying, as immature as it sounds; this is the first time I've ever really had to come to terms with that.
Hey, think about it this way. Mr Frog would be absolutely bored out of his mind in peacetime, when there was nobody to experiment on, and nothing useful to do. He's a time traveler, and he has access to time travel devices... ;] Between stories, it's not really cheating.
Vanya has a bit of a free pass in that respect, although it was unintended. :\ She's immortal, being an elf. I hadn't intended it that way, because I honestly didn't mean for her to be anything but a narrator for Talvi at first, but... hey. Gift horse's mouth, right?

In defense, I do think it'd be cool to have the two Frogs become dramatically-different characters now that it's been brought up, and having one become a vampire (a decision which the other would likely not approve of) would factor into that. And there'd still be the clone Frog if you need a more Badass-Normal-y character.
I strongly agree with you here, as I stated above. :P Like I said, it sounds very much like OG!Frog to become a vampire, simply for the sake of immortality. Maybe the other one could develop some sort of longevity potion... Sounds like Mr Frog to do something like that, actually.

I don't like the way the two Frogs have developed in my absence, no, but that's more because it wasn't my decision than anything else. This may come as a shock to some people, but I am ever so slightly a control freak. Now that I'm more-or-less back in the saddle (or at least on my way there), though, I'm willing to work with the decisions others made in my absence.
That was my fault. :\ You told me I could do what I felt needed to be done because you were done writing... lol   e.e Buttttttt, I think I took it a little too far. :\ I'm really sorry about that. It wasn't my intention, it just kind of evolved that way.

E: Also, that bolded-underlined rant wasn't directed at any of your characters, Talvi, trust me.
That distinction falls to me. My piece was unremarkable at best, and I don't have much time to commit to my own projects anymore, so don't expect to see much of me round these parts. I'll just enjoy whatever you all put together from now on. It's been quite a ride to say the least.
Hey, don't go! Great to have you here. (: I'm just about positive your piece wasn't what Mr Frog was talking about when he posted that little rant (which was justified, in my opinion, by the way). 

EDIT:

Let me put it another way. Firebreathing rabbits siege the fortress. At the same time, your goats start breathing fire and set all your dwarves aflame. One of your dwarves decides to spray webs everywhere to "kill" the intruders, and gets everybody stuck. Then you get a bird of some sort flying in (of course, the radiation made it webimmune one way or another) and it pecks all your dwarves to death because it's gone berserk. Everything was nuts in that version - it was impossible to survive past year five IF you were lucky. I had fortresses fall before year two ended, and most of my vanilla fortresses never fall, reaching year 20 or higher.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 01:29:09 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #9506 on: November 09, 2013, 01:26:48 am »

@Talvi:

I'm assuming you made that logo thingy? Pretty badass. I recall you having an interest in drawing, and this is pretty much in the same general category, so I for one am pleased by this development.

I'm not faulting you in the slightest for "doing what needed to be done", as you put it. I more-or-less specifically instructed you to do what you wanted, so it's my own damn fault if I didn't like the results. Besides, it's nothing unworkable.

@Baffler:

I hereby submit that I had actually stone-cold not realised that you had written anything, therefore I could not possibly have been referring to you.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

ChaosMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9507 on: November 09, 2013, 02:57:45 am »

Talvi...you reinvented !FUN! again...

i envy you for your ability to play DF uninterupted by trade schooling, i cant so much as dl it here...stuiped state labor organizations.
question-do you need DF installed for the lazy noob pack?

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #9508 on: November 09, 2013, 04:10:04 am »

I wouldn't say he gets to play DF uninterrupted, as he has a full-time job.

From what it says in the thread OP (and shame on you for apparently not reading through it yourself), LNP includes the most recent release of DF with the DL. (God damn but there were a lot of acronyms in that sentence.)
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9509 on: November 09, 2013, 11:26:57 am »

@Mr Frog:

Yesterday I had a fit of inspiration and decided to draw Mr Frog's Lab in Spearbreakers. I have a rough concept sketch ready, but I left plenty of empty space for anything you'd like me to put in.

That being said, do I have your permission?

@Spearbreakers. Community

Later, I may try drawing other dorf rooms, so feel free to PM ideas. I'm thinking I might do the barracks if Fischer doesn't have her own room, and Talvi's room (complete with cavies under the bed.)

If I do, I will go for the creator of the character for suggestions and permission.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i
Pages: 1 ... 632 633 [634] 635 636 ... 815