Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 644 645 [646] 647 648 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2189878 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11, finished)
« Reply #9675 on: December 02, 2013, 03:51:10 pm »

Cybernetic surgery on grievously injured or dead dwarves, said surgery having been pioneered by Draconik Sankis. They're expensive but thanks to dwarves being who they are as a race, they're still readily available in many places.

They came about after the last siege of my turn, where Jack Magnus was killed in combat by a lucky claw to the spine, which made him asphyxiate.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11, finished)
« Reply #9676 on: December 02, 2013, 04:38:31 pm »

Was your spine clawed out? No problem! We here at the Dwarven Institute of SCIENCE! can fix you right up with a shitload of copper wiring and maybe a few other electrical bits in your skull! Unless next of kin would prefer you remain dead, in which case we can't help you.

Cynm

• Bay Watcher
  • For the Swarm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9677 on: December 02, 2013, 05:02:27 pm »

Reminds me of the New U stations in Borderlands II.

"We at the institute of !!SCIENCE!! would like to thank you for your corpse's generous donation to our Jackborg army, have a fantastic day!"

EDIT: "The institute of !!SCIENCE!! would like to remind you that there is no hell, unless we send you there."

EDIT2: UNRELATED
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT3: Urist's Handbook for the Foolhardy Adventurer: Foreword, The History of Spearbreakers

EDIT4: Urist's Handbook entry edited for clarity and accuracy.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 10:18:09 pm by Cynm »
"In case of stairs, use fire"

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9678 on: December 05, 2013, 07:47:43 pm »

@Cymn: Nothing stands out off the top of my head, but Mr Frog, Splint, and Tavieno are the ones who'll notice... discrepancies.

@Spearbreakers: The Megaspawn and Spawn fighting amonst themselves remind of the infighting between the Orcs and the "Uruk-Hai"(a.k.a megaorcs) in Lord of the Rings. Possible story point? Perhaps the Holistic, in their attempts to overcome their Spearbreakers, unwittingly created their own enemy...

Edit: For some reason I ended a sentence before finishing said sentence.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 04:23:55 pm by TalonisWolf »
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9679 on: December 05, 2013, 08:18:07 pm »

They seem influenced by megabeast attack requirements. I had one attack in summer.

And I'm hoping to have the spawn somewhat diversified, with precursor spawn serving the role of generic foot warrior (tough, feel no pain, can trance, and need no air but susceptible to stunning, nausea, and brain damage,) with the lot seen here being part of roaming bands of spawn (making all surface areas substantially more dangerous,)and as tougher elites mixed in with the rank and file. Would certainly be unsettling to be dropping spawn one after another and then suddenly doesn't go down to a pike through it's head.

Of course such massive things as the megaspawn need little if any aid and may see other spawn as little more than the equivalent of chicken nuggets like any other creature smaller than itself.

@ Cynm: The time war was in progress well before Spearbreakers was actually founded, with the battle at Spearbreakers culminating in a sort of final clash between the two parties. The fallout of the battle was rapid weapon advancement, leading to at least The Responsible Outrageous Fences becoming extremely powerful (what with spawn not holding up so well to a railgun slug smashing them into gristle on things,) until dwarven kingdoms began expanding to the inland mountains where they were knocked back down a few pegs by the murderous locals, desperate Parasol or Ballpoint stranded harrying caravans and expeditions, and radiation storms.

Parasol and Ballpoint largely abandon at least Everoc after the clash at Spearbreakers, with may employees and mercenaries left behind for whatever reason, and I intended the zombie attack at the end of Savero's term to be headed by Dovash, a Necromaner who appeared during the battle over that old megaportal in Talvieno's story..

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9680 on: December 12, 2013, 06:05:15 pm »

I've been away for a bit, and I'm surprised to see that the thread seems to have died... I'll be necro'ing it, thank you very much.

Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9681 on: December 12, 2013, 06:09:37 pm »

My my, been a busy little bee again haven't you?

Cynm

• Bay Watcher
  • For the Swarm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9682 on: December 12, 2013, 08:08:47 pm »

Very nice!
"In case of stairs, use fire"

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9683 on: December 13, 2013, 12:57:10 am »

My word, Talvi! They are excellent!

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #9684 on: December 13, 2013, 01:17:42 am »

Agreed. Talvi is indeed quite awesome.

I'm sorry I haven't been posting much. I've been wrapped up in other things. Drama classes have been taking a lot of my mental energy.

I think we could stand to develop the new races a bit more. We have broad ideas of their cultures, but more details could always help. Bonus points for thinking about the interactions between the various races in terms of ideological conflicts and trade.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 01:20:04 am by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9685 on: December 13, 2013, 03:49:12 am »

It's worth doing. Gives us something productive to do with the thread while we test stuff.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #9686 on: December 13, 2013, 04:04:51 am »

I'm honestly surprised I had to suggest it. We have a bunch of creative people involved in this, so I was expecting a lot more... y'know... creativity. Ideas. That sort of thing.

Additionally, a part of me sort of wants to write proper conclusions to some of the storylines, because it seems awful to leave so many plot threads hanging after so much went into developing them. The three I'd like to clear up are:

-- The conclusion to Vanya's tale

-- Joseph's demise, and the fate of the original Mr Frog and Silena (because I think it'd be interesting to see which direction she could be taken in the sequel)

-- The fate of Spearbreakers in general

We already have a rough idea of how all three of these go, but if we could develop these more so I or someone else could give them proper writeups of some sort it'd be great.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9687 on: December 13, 2013, 04:41:31 am »

Just as long as it isn't "rocks fall, everyone dies" it *should* be fine.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9688 on: December 13, 2013, 04:44:43 am »

Far as I know Talvieno's still chipping away at Vanya's story.

As far as the last one I like to think it didn't get abandoned without a whole lot of kicking and screaming on the inhabitants' parts some years after the Battle of Spearbreakers in the timewar. What I wound up imagining was a decades long proxy war with the Copper Realms with hundreds of human mercs getting killed attacking the fortress in the ensuing decades.

After a grisly battle just getting into the depot and being fought tooth and nail the whole way, they end up suffering from things like the spikewalk and a horde of war trained giant emus ambushing them, as well as period stands by CDC marksdwarf teams resulting in many more being mowed down by hails of bolts and other ranged weapons. Upon chasing some CDC and Fortress Guardsmen into the Spawn Research Center, they are set upon by a dozen spawnitis victims (while the dwarves barricade themselves into the last room in the corridor.)

After this and many more fallen Nemeans, The mercs finally fight their way into the dining hall (cutting off supply of food, booze, and just about everything else to anyone further down,) the mercenary commander is absolutely horrified to find piles of corpses that were in the process of being cleaned up, a replacement duke/duchess and many citizens having been backed into a corner by what must have been a truly monstrous spawn assault. He realizes that the only reason they even got this far, was due not to his own men finally besting the arms of the fortress but that the fortress had just been dealt a knockdown blow and his men were only just able to be the final nail in the coffin. Had they made this last assault before the spawn, it is probable they would have all been killed by this point.

Deciding against hunting down every single dwarf as the king of The Copper Realm demanded, he resolves to simply push the dwarves out of their production and living quarters and knock out the stairs, sealing the survivors for the time being, knowing full well that there is likely a factory down below powered by magma and full to bursting with refined metals which means only time will keep the dwarves down there sealed in.

By this point the attacking mercenary army has likely lost more than half their number; after slaying what few resisters are left in the areas they control and after rescuing/setting the numerous prisoners of war loose to run rampant in the fortress, they beat a hasty retreat, reporting the battle as won and their contract finally fulfilled.

The surviving dwarves of course, unseal themselves not long after and upon purging the few roaming enemies and escaped POWs that remained, pack what little they can (and making sure to bring the now likely long dead clone!Mr Frog's prototype weapons,) and abandon ship, knowing full well they'd be unable to weather another attack by anyone.

Following this, displaced Ferric Elves eventually move in, cleaning up some of the bodies and adding traps of their own, before leaving for unknown reasons later on, leaving not but a tomb to be picked over by scavengers and inhabited by monsters.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9689 on: December 13, 2013, 03:19:29 pm »

That sounds... Wonderfull.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 644 645 [646] 647 648 ... 815