Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178475 times)

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A hopeful epic.
« Reply #195 on: February 29, 2012, 11:26:44 pm »

speaking of which, we should keep that trend for everyone who gets named, but new people should get dorfed before 2nds and such come around.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 29, 2012, 11:59:07 pm »

STATUS UPDATE

Made it to autumn. It's been pretty uneventful. Military's getting set up, though it's been slow due to lack of skilled labour. codyorr has been dorfed (used a random dwarf somewhere that hasn't been mentioned in any of the writeups).

Gonna wait until tomorrow to start the writeup. The last 2 days have been almost entirely Spearbreakers round-the-clock and I desperately need to do something -- anything -- else for a bit.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 01, 2012, 12:05:29 am »

I was going to drop a ceiling on the stranded Spawn, but then I realized that I had better things to be doing, such as making sure our military won't die.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 01, 2012, 12:06:41 am »

I was going to drop a ceiling on the stranded Spawn, but then I realized that I had better things to be doing, such as making sure our military won't die.

If the goblins have left, just do it anyway.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 01, 2012, 12:09:01 am »

The goblins are gone. I just needed the extra workers (managing labours in this fortress is a nightmare; I have no idea what anyone is set to be doing, so 90% of the time I just draft whoever's nearby).

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 01, 2012, 12:26:24 am »

The goblins are gone. I just needed the extra workers (managing labours in this fortress is a nightmare; I have no idea what anyone is set to be doing, so 90% of the time I just draft whoever's nearby).

Just grab who ever isn't doing something. That's what I always do.
And dear god, it's only been 2 and a half years and this place is already going to hell. Although building something or even causing the cave in may be impossible due to dwarven skitishness.

SolPyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 01, 2012, 12:53:38 am »

On the way to Breakspears there is a boulder that sits by the path, if it can be called a path. The boulder is oddly smoothed and upon its broadest face is carved this scene.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Neil Gaiman
George R.R. Martin is not your b****.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 01, 2012, 12:56:10 am »

if we can get some steel pikes and sheilds we should be able to manage a bit better, as long as the fort is sealed up, and we have cavern access i would suggest trying for a more stable metal industry first, cant reclaim the outdoors without a better military.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 01, 2012, 01:16:28 am »

Journal of Mitch, Obsidian 202

The Spawn, oh it had to be the Spawn.

There have been many questions passed across the dining room table. 'What are the Spawn?' 'If the fables are true, why does our planet exist?'. They think that perhaps the world didn't collapse, or that the great tome explaining the downfall of the world was a lie, conceived by false gods. Perhaps the Spawn have succeed in separating the Dwarven race, just as they did in the black, decaying scar on the world that was Headshoots. But I know.

My pappy used to be a priest and philosopher. He told me many stories about the Spawn; about Headshoots and the downfall of the world. They must be made to see that Armok isn't just a God, he is the god of Gods. The... lesser Gods can affect our world, yes. Curses, abominations, life and death. They are the overseers of our world. But Armok... Armok is different. He isn't interested in our praise, he is interested in schadenfreude.  His '!!Fun!!', as the great oracles of the world tell us. And when a world loses its interest, its '!!Fun!!', it is reforged in his Great Smithy. Not just the world though, the Glorious Pantheon of Gods too. All are at the whim of Armok. They are all a game for him to watch. The planet that Headshoots occupied (the name has been lost to history), was burnt to a crisp; a desolate husk of a planet. And Armok wiped the slate clean in his Smithy of the stars, and a new world was forged. Our world. The world of Spearbreakers, as it seems. The world of Headshoots is long gone, and like a phoenix ours rises from its ashes.

But what are the Spawn? The malevolence of Armok? Or perhaps the soul of the wicked Holistic, twisted by demonic influence, was strong enough to duel Armok in control of the universe? There are many theories, but no one knows the answer. But what we do know is they are the enemy of life. And where there is conflict, there is shadenfreude, there is !!Fun!!

But a plague of Spawn? This is new. Unprecedented. Perhaps Holistic is getting stronger through the conquest of Headshoots' world. All we can do is try not to get bitten.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 01, 2012, 04:42:29 am »

Journal of Mitch, Obsidian 202

The Spawn, oh it had to be the Spawn.

There have been many questions passed across the dining room table. 'What are the Spawn?' 'If the fables are true, why does our planet exist?'. They think that perhaps the world didn't collapse, or that the great tome explaining the downfall of the world was a lie, conceived by false gods. Perhaps the Spawn have succeed in separating the Dwarven race, just as they did in the black, decaying scar on the world that was Headshoots. But I know.

My pappy used to be a priest and philosopher. He told me many stories about the Spawn; about Headshoots and the downfall of the world. They must be made to see that Armok isn't just a God, he is the god of Gods. The... lesser Gods can affect our world, yes. Curses, abominations, life and death. They are the overseers of our world. But Armok... Armok is different. He isn't interested in our praise, he is interested in schadenfreude.  His '!!Fun!!', as the great oracles of the world tell us. And when a world loses its interest, its '!!Fun!!', it is reforged in his Great Smithy. Not just the world though, the Glorious Pantheon of Gods too. All are at the whim of Armok. They are all a game for him to watch. The planet that Headshoots occupied (the name has been lost to history), was burnt to a crisp; a desolate husk of a planet. And Armok wiped the slate clean in his Smithy of the stars, and a new world was forged. Our world. The world of Spearbreakers, as it seems. The world of Headshoots is long gone, and like a phoenix ours rises from its ashes.

But what are the Spawn? The malevolence of Armok? Or perhaps the soul of the wicked Holistic, twisted by demonic influence, was strong enough to duel Armok in control of the universe? There are many theories, but no one knows the answer. But what we do know is they are the enemy of life. And where there is conflict, there is shadenfreude, there is !!Fun!!

But a plague of Spawn? This is new. Unprecedented. Perhaps Holistic is getting stronger through the conquest of Headshoots' world. All we can do is try not to get bitten.

+1 for subtle-yet-effective meta-game integration.

Anyways, I've gotten started on the writeup. I've gotten into the rhythm of it now, I think. I won't promise that this next one will be up any faster, but I at least won't end up driving myself insane trying to force myself to work now.

I'm going to try to get at least one up a day. Just so I know, what would you say is the absolute longest acceptable gap between updates? Two days? Three days? A century?

Suggestion for Splint:

We are not allowed to make any direct statements on the cosmology of the game world re: The Great Syrupleaf Ending Fuck-Up in the main write-ups. Those will be put into side posts so that readers can decide for themselves which version they prefer. Now that Talvi's handling the main posts, I may be able to work on compiling these side posts for easier reading.

(If you take this suggestion, it may be best to put it into the first post with an explanation so that it's all "official" and stuff.)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 01, 2012, 05:04:46 am »

I acknowlege this suggestion, but you'll have to tell me what you mean exactly, so just PM me.
As far as I'm concerned this can all be filed under a historical event called "The Great Fuck-up."

Ok, so I looked at Talvieno''s save.
I was right in what i said. Barely 3 years in and this place is going to hell in a hand basket.
I applaud the whole lott of you, cause I don't even know what some of what he did was for.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 01, 2012, 07:06:51 am »

1. Yes, you can choose the expedition leader manually.
2. SolPyre, I'll get that in with the story art. =)
3. Mitchewawa, that was awesome. *applauds*
4. Mr Frog - I'd say about two days... But... That's Splint's decision, not mine, lol   Also, I second that suggestion.
5. Splint - what exactly couldn't you figure out that I did? :\
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 12:39:37 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 01, 2012, 07:16:04 am »

1. Yes, you can choose the expedition leader manually.
2. SolPyre, I'll get that in with the story art. =)
3. Mitchewawa, that was awesome. *slow claps*
4. Mr Frog - I'd say about two days... But... That's Splint's decision, not mine, lol   Also, I second that suggestion.
5. Splint - what exactly couldn't you figure out that I did? :\

For starters, I could never assign them manually so I used my manager/broker as my expedition leader so I could force them to go to thier office and meet liasons via stockpilekeeping. Sometimes naming that dorf after me, I sometimes got myself as a crossdressing overseer.
2, Just the general look of the place after you took over looks confusing.
3, At least I managed to keep everyone alive when i kept going with my save, although the tree humpers spotting the thieves worked to my advantage.
4, I think 3 days is more acceptable. That way if they happened to be busy with a test or something the player still has a chance to update.

edit: Also, talvi, you just mauled a Mountain barbarian with a battleaxe and piece of wood in my little alternate continuity.

magikmw

• Bay Watcher
  • angryface
    • View Profile
    • Blog/links
« Reply #208 on: March 01, 2012, 10:55:57 am »

Posting to watch, as it seems it's going to be a bit tragic. So far I've read the 2 year, and catching up :]
Interesting race you have modded there, nice work.
Oh, hai.

Ashsaber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 01, 2012, 01:45:30 pm »

Same job, yeah.

I don't have to be dorfed until Ash 1 actually dies, so as long as he's still in quarantine and demanding liver, we're good to go.  :D
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 815