Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178498 times)

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A hopeful epic.
« Reply #225 on: March 02, 2012, 12:11:57 am »

Great work, very smart. A few things;

1. What texture pack is that? Looks damn awesome.
2. Don't have forge armour on repeat, use the manager screen to create certain numbers of things. All repeat is going to do is create iron mail shirts until you run out of iron.
3. If you want you can remove all the mugs out of the bins and use the bins elsewhere. Just change the mug stockpile to not accept bins, and all the mugs will be tipped out where they are and the bins will be moved to the bar stockpile.
4. Bar bins aren't that good anyway, all they do is increase smelting speed. Mug bins have the benefit of being able to be taken to trade far easier.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 02, 2012, 01:03:12 am »

Honestly, after the hectic nightmare of clusterfuckery that was Spring of '02, this season honestly felt kind of boring (resulting in the cavy being sacrificed to ease my carnage withdrawal).

Great work, very smart. A few things;

1. What texture pack is that? Looks damn awesome.
2. Don't have forge armour on repeat, use the manager screen to create certain numbers of things. All repeat is going to do is create iron mail shirts until you run out of iron.
3. If you want you can remove all the mugs out of the bins and use the bins elsewhere. Just change the mug stockpile to not accept bins, and all the mugs will be tipped out where they are and the bins will be moved to the bar stockpile.
4. Bar bins aren't that good anyway, all they do is increase smelting speed. Mug bins have the benefit of being able to be taken to trade far easier.

1. It's... actually my own. :-[ I didn't like any of the 16x16 fonts on the wiki, 'cuz they were all either crappy blowups of the default curses, straight rips of Times New Roman or some such (which does NOT look good when put in a square grid), used too many weird shading/blurring effects, or were trying to be a poor man's graphics mode (i.e. commas and periods replaced by grass and similar bullshittery). So I got annoyed, bellowed unto the heavens "WELL THEN I'LL JUST DO IT MYSELF GODDAMMIT" and, over the course of a few months, developed a font which was none of those things.

There are two versions of the tileset -- one with subtle-ish coloring and texturing effects (which I'm using here) and another that's just plain text (the actual lettering is the same in both sets). I'll have to figure out how to put them on the wiki if you like it that much.

2. I'm not sure what you're talking about -- I used this method in my Spawn test fort and my entire 29-man military is equipped just fine. My immunity to micromanagement burnout likely helped there.

3. I honestly wasn't aware you could do that. (Been playing since '09 :-[)

4. I don't think even the elves deserve to have the Mug Hoard of Spearbreakers inflicted on them :-\ This is our own private muggy hell for us to suffer through.

(Also, what exactly do you mean by "smart"?)

Anyways, thank you so much for the compliments. I'm glad to hear that the updates have been worth the wait :)
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 02, 2012, 01:07:47 am »

The mugs. The mugs. We still haven’t managed to pack away all the fucking mugs. Even after completely exhausting our wood supplies, we still have piles and piles of mugs lying everywhere, flooding bins and stockpiles and burying helpless crafts shops through sheer force of numbers.
Spearbreakers:
Mischief.
Mayhem.
Mugs.

The madness inherent in succession games is starting to show up... :D
Do we have any low-value metals? 'cuz lead or silver bins are fine too.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 02, 2012, 01:34:51 am »

I think we have a tetrahedrite vein somewhere, though I am tempted by the idea of packing the Mug Hoard into solid gold bins which will then be dumped into the magma sea, thus vanquishing the Hoard once and for all.

I didn't actually check the stocks, but just judging from the size of the stockpile and the quantity of bins needed we have to have something like 200-300 of the stupid things lying around.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 02, 2012, 03:22:26 am »

The mugs. The mugs. We still haven’t managed to pack away all the fucking mugs. Even after completely exhausting our wood supplies, we still have piles and piles of mugs lying everywhere, flooding bins and stockpiles and burying helpless crafts shops through sheer force of numbers.
Spearbreakers:
Mortifying.
Maniacal.
Mugs.

The madness inherent in succession games is starting to show up... :D
ftfy

my questions to Mr.Mr Frog got skipped over. :(
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 02, 2012, 03:47:32 am »

25th Malachite, 203. Interm entry.

Dear god. I had negelcted the inventory coming out of the crafts shop, and Mr Frog has recently brought it to my attention that there are ungoddly amounts of mugs. MUGS. MUGS EVERYWHERE. How the hell did I even miss this!? My office is practically on top of the damn shops, and I even worked in there for a time! How did I miss this!? I went down after Mr Frog told me and while I love having a tankard to toss at annoying visitors, this is just rediculous.

If we could make a weapon that fires mugs we'd at least have a purpose for the damned mountains of them. I wish I could remember where that tetrhedrite vein was that Sus found the first year.... At least with some copper and silver bins we could get the damn things sorted.

I'll have to inquire about any flux the caravan should have brought. I had intended to make steel pikes for Fischer's original group, a a sort of prestige weapon, maybe have them decorated with bone and such, to make them feel appreciated. And if anyone is using my pitchblende for anything OTHER than bashing sticks I'll use one of Stova's to beat the offending party into a catatonic state. The pitchblende lever to the old gate was bad enough.

And all the mugs have me wondering if we should have named this place  Spearbreakers, The mountain of mugs.

[I felt the need to make my own mug related entry. Cause I honestly forgot I had them set to repeat. But we may have our motif: MUGS. EVERYWHERE.  Good work Mr Frog. Loving the cavy sacrifice you did. Back to the mugs, My continuation has them stacked to the cieling along with instruments and toy axes, and I have unwanted visitors camping outside who slaughtered a migrant wave, which had a pikedwarf and two metalworkers among them. On the plus side they did kill the tree humpers for me. And I seriously don't remember where the hell the terahedrite vein is, but there should be a sphalerite vien somewhere. That's a tin ore right?]

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 02, 2012, 04:01:57 am »

25th Malachite, 203. Interm entry.

Dear god. I had negelcted the inventory coming out of the crafts shop, and Mr Frog has recently brought it to my attention that there are ungoddly amounts of mugs. MUGS. MUGS EVERYWHERE. How the hell did I even miss this!? My office is practically on top of the damn shops, and I even worked in there for a time! How did I miss this!? I went down after Mr Frog told me and while I love having a tankard to toss at annoying visitors, this is just rediculous.

If we could make a weapon that fires mugs we'd at least have a purpose for the damned mountains of them. I wish I could remember where that tetrhedrite vein was that Sus found the first year.... At least with some copper and silver bins we could get the damn things sorted.

I'll have to inquire about any flux the caravan should have brought. I had intended to make steel pikes for Fischer's original group, a a sort of prestige weapon, maybe have them decorated with bone and such, to make them feel appreciated. And if anyone is using my pitchblende for anything OTHER than bashing sticks I'll use one of Stova's to beat the offending party into a catatonic state. The pitchblende lever to the old gate was bad enough.

And all the mugs have me wondering if we should have named this place  Spearbreakers, The mountain of mugs.

[I felt the need to make my own mug related entry. Cause I honestly forgot I had them set to repeat. But we may have our motif: MUGS. EVERYWHERE.  Good work Mr Frog. Loving the cavy sacrifice you did. Back to the mugs, My continuation has them stacked to the cieling along with instruments and toy axes, and I have unwanted visitors camping outside who slaughtered a migrant wave, which had a pikedwarf and two metalworkers among them. On the plus side they did kill the tree humpers for me. And I seriously don't remember where the hell the terahedrite vein is, but there should be a sphalerite vien somewhere. That's a tin ore right?]
Lol - you didn't discover the tetrahedrite, that was during my turn. =P You didn't miss it, you didn't forget. If you remember, you didn't dig down more than five z-levels...

I'm going to have to have Talvi make an entry (thanks, Mr Frog), but as it's late, and I don't particularly feel like making a cavy poster atm, I think I'll wait til tomorrow.

Also, most of the mugs were made during your turn and the first half of mine - I had the mugs switched off for the majority of mine. =P I dumped a ton of them on the elves AND humans, but there were too many - they couldn't carry them all!   (no, seriously, I just didn't feel the need to take a ton of worthless garbage from them, and didn't buy their large iron armor, or their wooden longswords.)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 02, 2012, 04:08:18 am »

I dug down enough to hit limonite and such, and I dug though a tiny patch of a vein, nore more than maybe 4-5 stones worth, so I didn't think anything of it, wanting iron more than anything, so I just smoothed it over and ignored it.

Also, when and where did you guys find magma? I wanna find the crap so i don't need to rely on the shrinking pile of coke I have.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 02, 2012, 04:16:46 am »

I dug down enough to hit limonite and such, and I dug though a tiny patch of a vein, nore more than maybe 4-5 stones worth, so I didn't think anything of it, wanting iron more than anything, so I just smoothed it over and ignored it.

Also, when and where did you guys find magma? I wanna find the crap so i don't need to rely on the shrinking pile of coke I have.
That was Mr Frog, not me. I was more concerned about the top areas of the fortress. We had our first minor (and moderate) spawn attacks during my turn, anyway. If we get somebody in here playing blind and a siege happens, Spearbreakers is doomed... lol

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 02, 2012, 05:15:12 am »

Loud Whispers, you better fucking read the updates.
No blind flight here. D:<

codyorr

• Bay Watcher
  • Alcohol is how I make DF more !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 02, 2012, 09:14:40 am »

I'm not sure where you guys live but it's great reading a bunch of updates that happened while I was getting up and going to work at 3AM.  :D
A rotting horse corpse since 201. !!DRUNK FORTRESS!!

Ashsaber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 02, 2012, 11:50:15 am »

We're approaching the point where mugs will be used for currency instead of dorfbucks.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 02, 2012, 01:26:26 pm »

Oh, yes, because I forgot... I did, in fact, **** up Ash's gender, AshSpawn is, in fact, male, and I have no idea why I thought otherwise.

@Splint:
Considering the mayhem that went down in Talvieno's turn despite both him and you being fully aware of exactly which flavour of shit was about to hit the fan, I shudder to think of what LW's reign will end up doing to the fort ._.;
I predict that our humble fortress's population will drop by at least 40%.

It will be hilarious.

@Talvi:
I found the dwarven graffiti but couldn't think of anything to say about them.
I was going to use the tower for a ceiling drop on the stranded Spawn, but I've grown sorta attached to the creepy bastard for some reason :-\ I'll think of a use for it at some point.
I already have a drawbridge in the new entrance. A spike moat would be cool, but I have better things to be doing than making pointy objects to stick into the ground, such as making pointy objects to stick into the Spawn.

The Spawn turned up ridiculously early in my test fort as well, but I decided it was both funny and still-manageable, so I didn't bother trying to fix it. FWIW, the goblins are also sending ambushes earlier than I thought they would, so perhaps it's more of an overall behaviour change in 34.01.

EDIT: Oh wow, I just now realized that every single entry in Part 1 lists the year as 502 for some stupid reason :-[ I'll fix it at some point.

EDIT II:
Wait a second... I just reread Splint's in-character post...

If there is a pitchblende lever somewhere... and that lever is what operates the drawbridge...

THEN WHAT IN THE HELL DID THE LEVER WHICH I DECONSTRUCTED DO!?!? D:
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 01:58:29 pm by Mr Frog »

Ashsaber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 02, 2012, 02:48:45 pm »

It's just a lever to reality, don't worry about it.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 02, 2012, 03:12:30 pm »

I'm not sure where you guys live but it's great reading a bunch of updates that happened while I was getting up and going to work at 3AM.  :D

Same here, 3AM :P I think Mr Frog, Splint and I are all nocturnal.

Oh, yes, because I forgot... I did, in fact, **** up Ash's gender, AshSpawn is, in fact, male, and I have no idea why I thought otherwise.

@Splint:
Considering the mayhem that went down in Talvieno's turn despite both him and you being fully aware of exactly which flavour of shit was about to hit the fan, I shudder to think of what LW's reign will end up doing to the fort ._.;
I predict that our humble fortress's population will drop by at least 40%.

It will be hilarious.

@Talvi:
I found the dwarven graffiti but couldn't think of anything to say about them.
I was going to use the tower for a ceiling drop on the stranded Spawn, but I've grown sorta attached to the creepy bastard for some reason :-\ I'll think of a use for it at some point.
I already have a drawbridge in the new entrance. A spike moat would be cool, but I have better things to be doing than making pointy objects to stick into the ground, such as making pointy objects to stick into the Spawn.

The Spawn turned up ridiculously early in my test fort as well, but I decided it was both funny and still-manageable, so I didn't bother trying to fix it. FWIW, the goblins are also sending ambushes earlier than I thought they would, so perhaps it's more of an overall behaviour change in 34.01.

EDIT: Oh wow, I just now realized that every single entry in Part 1 lists the year as 502 for some stupid reason :-[ I'll fix it at some point.

EDIT II:
Wait a second... I just reread Splint's in-character post...

If there is a pitchblende lever somewhere... and that lever is what operates the drawbridge...

THEN WHAT IN THE HELL DID THE LEVER WHICH I DECONSTRUCTED DO!?!? D:
1. Yayyyy, I didn't screw up Ashsaber.
2. Read Incestchained. :(  (yes, that was @ splint, but still)

3. It's fine, maybe somebody else will try to carve the graffiti out, who knows.
4. Spike moat cool, yes, but somehow I think the Spawn would survive it. We already know they can survive freefalls of incredible height... But yeah. Also, maybe goblins will get rid of the spawn for us at some point with arrows.

5. The lever at the top of the dining room is what controls the bridge! I hope you didn't destroy it. X|
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 815