Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178273 times)

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs.
« Reply #330 on: March 06, 2012, 05:15:56 pm »

wasn't i the one who made all the mugs?

anyways, this thread is going slow due to Mr. Frog's RL stuff, no big deal.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 06, 2012, 06:33:15 pm »

Also, as keeper of the records, I'm going to attempt to refrain from nominating people, myself... Just to be fair.

No, I think that you should use your own discretion on this, as well. You probably shouldn't just put something up just because you like it, but it'd probably be fine if you asked for input from the others first.

I'm done the writeup. Going to get everything uploaded and posted straight away.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 06, 2012, 07:20:35 pm »

1 Moonstone 202
It seems that Mekkia has finished her project:

I guess a phonograph was too much to hope for, considering that the greatest technological achievement for the past two centuries for this iteration is apparently the mug.

On top of the fact that the thing is nigh-on-infinitely recursive (it has an image of itself on it, and close examination on a microscopic level revealed that the image is perfectly-detailed possibly to the atomic level), I am also questioning whether it’s really necessary for a mechanism to be so ornate -- the thing would be more suited to the inside of an art museum than the inside of a machine.

It is worth well over 70,000 of whatever unit of currency these dwarves use, so it should at least be useful for luring in migrants.

6 Moonstone 202
The screeching of our various trapped Spawn is getting on my last nerve. I’ve ordered construction on the addition to Talvieno’s tower to resume so that we can at least do away with the one on the ledge:

I swear to absinthe, I will shut that blasted thing up even if I have to drop ten entire fortresses on it to do so.

8 Moonstone 202

Unbelievable. It seems that Fischer took a horse lung into his bedroom and then just left it there to rot. Absolutely disgusting. I understand that these dwarves are relatively-primitive – I’ve had that fact beaten into me over the course of the last year -- but I’ve really come to expect more from them than this. Fortunately, the doors here are reasonably airtight, so we at least don’t have to smell the mess.

13 Moonstone 202
ARRRRGH!

Apparently, I’ll have to keep on listening to that stupid thing, because – even though it has literally no means of accessing anyone – it’s just too scary for our poor little cretins to come within a mile of without completely losing their meagre wits out of fear.

It seems any construction done must occur far enough away from the abomination for our little dwarves to not see it. I’ll think of something.

In other news, I’ve ordered a new hospital area dug around the well so that our injured can have their wounds cleaned in a timely fashion:

15 Moonstone 202
It think I’ve come up with a new solution for the stranded Spawn. First, we’ll need to clear some land so that our miners can dig channels:

20 Moonstone 202
When I woke up early this morning, I could almost swear that I saw Talvieno peeking through the door at me. I was still half-asleep, so I’m not really sure.

25 Moonstone 202

The land has been cleared and the channels has been dug. We now have a safe location from which to open fire at the Spawn.
Talvieno’s swirly walls are in the way, however, so I’ve ordered our engravers to carve some fortifications into it.

While I do engrave for a hobby and have a fair amount of skill, I won’t be assisting in this endeavour. There are some vital tasks that need my attention at the moment:

27 Moonstone 202

I give up. I fucking give up. I have tried to explain to these little morons, slowly and carefully, that there’s nothing to be afraid of, that the Spawn using black magic to transform dwarves who look at them directly is an urban legend, and that the Spawn transformation is a well-documented viral effect transmitted through direct contact between the Spawn’s mouthparts and the victim’s bloodstream, but they don’t believe my “fairy tales”, as they call them. These damned rustics will be the death of me. I can’t wait to get out of here.

1 Opal 202
I've realized that we have no form of antiseptic anywhere in this fortress. While these rednecks obviously haven’t developed any refined means of sterilization, we should at least be able to produce soap. I’ve assigned two medical dwarves to potash and lye production, Sus to actually produce the soap, and Talvieno to press rock nuts into oil (she, at least, seemed more than happy to assist in this operation).

I’ve issued some work orders to Splint. While he fills out the paperwork, we’ll work on getting the needed facilities set up:

7 Opal 202
I can’t get away from the sound of Ashsaber’s and Softa’s screeches coming up from the quarantine cells. I think that I hate it even more than the noises from the damned Spawn up on the ledge (as nice as Talvieno is, I don’t think I’ll ever forgive her for getting the stupid thing stuck there, accidentally or not).

To my knowledge, the transformation is completely-irreversible – the infection permanently alters the victim's biological makeup.
Attempts at developing a cure had been made... some things, I think, should not be explained in detail. I think it’s telling that the reason for the research into finding a cure being called off was fear of the researchers suffering permanent emotional and psychological damage.

There’s still hope, I suppose. Not much. But it’s there.

15 Opal 202
Slightly embarrassing thing today – I had not considered that we would need jugs to store the rock nut oil in. I’m not sure why we can’t just use some of the hundreds of mugs around here instead, but in any case I’ve ordered some stone jugs to be produced.

17 Opal 202
I’ve ordered that our new hospital area be smoothed:

It’s a bit frivolous, but it’s best to communicate to our patients that our healthcare facilities are of the highest quality possible with the means that are available to us.

While, again, I am perfectly capable of assisting in this task, I really feel that it’s best that I take some time off:

The strain of being the Overseer combined with the horrible living conditions here are taking a very real toll on me, I feel. Fortunately, I only have to keep at this for another month.

19 Opal 202
Sus has been running back and forth upstairs through the halls to the main wood stockpile even though there’s a smaller pile located right next to the wood furnace.

I can’t even guess at his motives, but I’ve ordered the offending stockpile to be sealed-off for now:

He seems to be using the closer pile now, so that’s sorted out.

Our iron stocks have already been refilled to an acceptable level (whatever I may say about the dwarves here, they at least work quickly), so I’ve ordered our forges to resume full equipment production for now. I’m also having them begin production of proper breastplates.

In military matters, I seem to have mistakenly assigned Zuglarr to a hammer squad even though he has a great deal of skill with a pike. This has been rectified.
The slow pace of our recruits’ training is somewhat worrying, but we should be able to get by.

26 Opal 202
I apparently don’t know the first thing about how they make soap here.
I was receiving complaints from Talvieno about how she didn’t have anything to press oil out of. I got a bit angry with her and told her that we have over 180 rock nuts and that she should probably try using those.
Apparently, you have to first have the nuts ground into a paste at a quern before they can be pressed.
I’ve ordered a quern to be produced at the mason’s and assigned Kannan to milling duty.

I find my complete ignorance regarding the workings of these dwarves’ more-primitive technology to be both extremely embarrassing and slightly poetic. I suppose I've been a bit harsh in my judgment of them, though their lack of magnetic accelerators to blast these stupid Spawn into oblivion will always be a mark against them in my eyes.

3 Obsidian 202
The slow pace of work in the hospital is irritating me, so I’ve decided to pitch in, potential nervous breakdowns be damned:

9 Obsidian 202
I must admit to being fascinated by the frequent bloody rains around here, though it is well outside of my field of expertise and in any case I won’t be able to get any work done what with all the bloody noise around here. I’ll have to see about organizing a formal scientific inquiry when I get back.

17 Obsidian 202
We seem to have gotten the mug situation more-or-less under control:

While we admittedly still have hundreds of the vile things, they’re at least tucked away into bins where I don’t have to look at them.

19 Obsidian 202
Another fallen dwarf has risen from the grave:

This one certainly took its time – from what I understand, this dwarf was among those that died in the Spawn attack over a year ago, during Talvieno’s reign.

I’ve arranged for another animal to be thrown into Ashsaber’s cell:

This one is far larger than the previous test subject, so it should hopefully keep him occupied long enough to give me something of a reprieve from the Spawn’s awful cries.

The animal is apprehended and dragged to the pit, after which it is thrown in:

I was concerned that the greater mass of the animal would cause it to become grievously injured upon impact, but it was only briefly stunned:

Ashsaber tears into his prey immediately, biting its neck and leg before engaging in a manoeuvre which will be burned into my mind for all eternity:

Despite the fact that the animal is unconscious and thus unable to defend itself, its great size and accompanying cranial thickness appears to be making it difficult for Ashsaber to land a killing strike:

It was a long, grisly fight – though I suppose “fight” isn’t quite the right word for it. The animal sustained every sort of injury imaginable save for that one crucial strike to the brain:

After having all of the soft tissue in its body thoroughly pulped, the animal finally dies from blood loss:

Ashsaber seems to have quieted down for now, though I’m not sure it was worth having to witness all of that carnage.

26 Obsidian 202
The F.R.O.G has detected a squad of concealed goblins coming in to ambush:

As my term as Overseer here is almost up, I’ve ordered the bridge to be raised so that my successor can deal with them on their own terms:

The bridge goes up long before the goblins can get in. Again, I’ll leave it up to the next overseer to deal with them, whoever they turn out to be. I don’t really know any of the dwarves here well enough to distinguish which would be the best candidate, and I really wouldn’t leave any of them in charge of anything more important than a rock nut, so I’ll just draw a name out of a hat.

Our hospital isn’t yet furnished or even officially designated as such, but that’ll be simple enough for the next overseer to see to themself. We're not done with soap production either, though I set it up so that it should continue along by itself without need for further management.

I can’t say I’ll really miss being in charge of this hellpit. Perhaps now I’ll finally be able to relax somewhat. I’m now fairly certain that I will not be called back out of here anytime soon, so I suppose I’ll just have to make myself comfortable.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 10:36:51 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 06, 2012, 07:21:15 pm »

Bombzero - your dwarf was actually one of three people making mugs that Splint left on their jobs. =P

Good advice, Sir Frog. I shall taketh these words to heart. Can't wait for the writeup. =)
edit: I'm late.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 06, 2012, 07:36:23 pm »

The save is here. I'll PM the link to Draig right away.

EDIT: PM sent. Here's hoping he responds; it's been a while :-[
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 07:44:16 pm by Mr Frog »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 06, 2012, 09:38:18 pm »

He's got 3 days, so we may as well make up witty comments on the ending of your reign.

And Perhaps Dwarf Mr Frog will be pleased about the magnetic accelerator deal should this scale to sequel worthiness.

Draignean's got the save.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 06, 2012, 10:38:54 pm »

Well, I've had a bit of a busy day, but here I am again. =P Absolutely awesome, Frog, and I was thinking that you wouldn't be able to collapse something on top of the stranded Spawn... hence why I suggested arrows... In any case, an excellent end.

Is it just me, or is Spearbreakers always in peril when overseers end their turns?

Journal of Ms Talvi Diamondknight, unknown date
I saw Mr Frog again today (he don't like it when I say a period, so I been careful to watch how I speaks to him in public)... Hes so dreamy... And so smart, too. Why, sometimes, gazin at him from across the room while we make mechanisms... I start to think he might almost be from another world... He's so head and shoulder 'bove everybody else and all...

Couple nights back, I was watchin him like I always do, an' he almost saw me. not sure if he did... he don't know it yet, but I made him a spot to sleep in my cavy room... in my bed next to me... I cain't find a way t' tell im, but I'll thinka somethin'... my gods, he's so strong... mmm... I mean, Joseph and I have had some pretty rough fun usselves at night in m' bed, but Mr Frog, now...

I had a dream, bout a week back... Mr Frog was comin over the hill, just come back from killin over eleventy-seven barbarians... with his bare hands, muscles bulgin' and all... anyhow, he was comin' over the hill, riding an ox... he had a cloak made out of socks... my gods, it was gorgeous! Oh, but Mr Frog outshone them all... And he stopped by me and looked down, sayin', "Hey there, lil' lady. I got somethin' for you." And he took out a cavy out of his pack! It was so cute! But I put it down, cause he picked me up in his arms... and as the blood rained down before us, we kissed... gods, it was so romantic... and then... we went to my cavy room... and...

the text ends here in a mess of scribbles overdrawn with a large heart symbol
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 10:53:55 pm by Talvieno »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 06, 2012, 10:45:18 pm »

That is unbelievably disturbing. Methinks Talvi is a little.... Crazy.

But then I sleep 200 feet from a screeching monstrosity in a worm ridden hole near the old depot, and Mr Frog has shown to be a transdimensional nutjob trying to make drugs from various cave fungi.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 06, 2012, 10:56:47 pm »

But then I sleep 200 feet from a screeching monstrosity in a worm ridden hole near the old depot, and Mr Frog has shown to be a transdimensional nutjob trying to make drugs from various cave fungi.

I wouldn't go so far as 'nutjob'. I'd use 'accomplished self-medicator'.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 06, 2012, 11:06:49 pm »

.... So a stoner with license to make drugs so long as he isn't fiddling with his own world.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 06, 2012, 11:11:18 pm »

Oh, really? Nahhhh, impossible! She couldn't possibly be crazy! (seriously, am I that bad of a writer? she was supposed to go from kind of intelligent to semi-intelligent to pre-child intellect. :P )

.... So a stoner with license to make drugs so long as he isn't fiddling with his own world.
He was exiled, for fooling with cave fungus and turning it into horrible threats to all sentient life (intelligent threats, I might add). They sent him back in time on the pretenses of a "grand mission which no one else could properly fulfill". Of course, he accepted, with fame, fortune and glory in the back of his mind as he stepped into the Tardis (or whatever else the Agency uses).

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 06, 2012, 11:12:50 pm »

That's pretty much the characterization I was using. An angry stoner with a cheerful mask carefully maintained through measured use of selected psychoactive substances, along with good old-fashioned denial.

------

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

-------

EDIT:
Oh, really? Nahhhh, impossible! She couldn't possibly be crazy! (seriously, am I that bad of a writer? she was supposed to go from kind of intelligent to semi-intelligent to pre-child intellect. :P )

If toddlers had sexually-charged dreams about people who or or may not be of their species.

In any case... don't worry about it; characterization is hard :p

He was exiled, for fooling with cave fungus and turning it into horrible threats to all sentient life (intelligent threats, I might add). They sent him back in time on the pretenses of a "grand mission which no one else could properly fulfill". Of course, he accepted, with fame, fortune and glory in the back of his mind as he stepped into the Tardis (or whatever else the Agency uses).

I was going for more that upmanage got irritated with him constantly whining about the corporation's ethics and sent him in just so that they could watch him suffer and die, but if this turns out to be more popular then I can totally get behind that.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 11:24:32 pm by Mr Frog »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 06, 2012, 11:32:00 pm »

Oh god. Manamaids were his fault. The result of some failed incedent involving manatee blubber as a base and some algae.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 06, 2012, 11:33:32 pm »

Well, I figured he was your typical "mad scientist", although drunk on wine and a bit of a more respectable sort of psychopath. Also, the drug addict angle sounds intriguing.

ninja'd:
Oh god. Manamaids were his fault. The result of some failed incedent involving manatee blubber as a base and some algae.
He found Santa! And mermaids! And he.. and he... and the fungus... and the mermaids... and the fungus.. and Santa... and the fungus... o.o aaaaaahhhhhhhh my eyes!!!

SolPyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 07, 2012, 01:21:13 am »

Okay so im having problems opening the save file but im pretty sure the problem is on my end. SO could someone post a pic of Mr Frog's discription page, it's for the drawing I mentioned earlier of him and me at a table with mugs and more mugs.

On that subject Mr Frog do you want to look a certain way? maybe youd like a hat or green cloths or something. Also if you perfer you could be a different race im not sure if your dorf is a dwarf or not (or maybe youd like to be in a sadow and keep your race a secret for narrative purposes) let me know by pm or post.
Quote from: Neil Gaiman
George R.R. Martin is not your b****.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 815