Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2193063 times)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs.
« Reply #345 on: March 07, 2012, 01:48:37 am »

Oh god. Manamaids were his fault. The result of some failed incedent involving manatee blubber as a base and some algae.

Yes. YES! YESZ!!! It's Frog-Canon now, motherfucker. (Maybe not the bit with the algae. And I doubt he was working alone.)

@SolPyre:
Go nuts. I don't really see Dorf!Mr Frog as my avatar (I don't even drink, for one) :p Just draw him as you saw him.

Just be aware that if I get bored and do sketches of the Overseers' dwarves (unlikely, and I'm not sure how I'd do it 'cuz I don't have a scanner, but it's an idea I've been toying with), whatever I draw likely won't be remotely close to whatever you draw :p

For the sake of answering your question... I wasn't thinking much about what he looked like, and I never really look at the descriptions, but now I'm thinking of a spindly person -- bit too tall and skinny for a dwarf, yet too short to be human -- with a short brown beard, a friendly smile, dead eyes, and both a black bumbershoot and a small hip-flask somewhere on his person. He's wearing a grimy white suit with equally-filthy black pants.

...Of course, that's just my opinion. Again, feel free to go nuts :p

PS: You've been using Paint for your drawings, yes? Have you tried GIMP? It's free; Google it. There's a bit of a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it you will never go back.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 07, 2012, 02:06:57 am »

good ol' Gimp, all the function of photoshop, none of the price.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 07, 2012, 03:13:05 am »

Journal of Mitch, 27th of Moonstone

I saw a Spawn in the flesh today, while carving out fortifications. And it saw me. Its' eyes peered into my soul. The saliva covering its maw glimmered in the sun, and in the flash of light I saw horrible things. An army of Holistic, rising from silt, seething with foul energies that poison the sky. Our fortress under a black sun, raining blood up to our ankles. Great bone claws clashing with iron, steel and stone. The death of hundreds in a matter of days, screaming of both dwarven and not.

I dropped my chisel and ran, of course. So did others, who wont speak of what they saw. Maybe they did not see anything? If I were in Frogs' shoes, I would have called us, 'Dipshit dissident elves' instead of 'morons and cowards'. But he didn't see the Spawn, nor did he see a vision.

I've been doing some asking around, and they seem to be able to withstand terrible blows. Even missing limbs, they appear to be able to hop using only the projection of their jaws. The overseers sought spears to counter them; but for what use are piercing their organs, of which spears are so proficient, when they can live without them? Nay, blunt weapons are the way to victory. Nothing can move with a shattered spine.

Methinks we need to build a proper defence, but they simply crush weapon-traps beneath their feet of bone. Perhaps we should breach the caverns, and Armok willing, capture a giant cave spider to tie them down on top of rows and rows of masterwork blunt rock weaponry?

PS. Heard a lot of mention about 'manamaids'. I don't know what the hell that is, but I get the feeling I don't want to.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 03:36:13 am by Mitchewawa »
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 07, 2012, 12:00:32 pm »

Mitchewawa, that was awesome. If I could nominate something, it'd be that - anybody else want to second it? That was perfect.

A couple things, though:
In my second post, I gave a hint (in a pic) as to the spawn's weakness... Really, there's only one way they can die, and shattering the spine isn't really one of them. (as far as I know, but Feb did manage to get that one kill... I might be wrong.) I haven't known them to be capable of being decapitated, either.

you're very right... dwarf Mitchewawa probably doesn't want to know anything about manamaids... the legends, if you believe them, say that they're literally living nightmares. evil creatures from across the seas, children of the blighted isles - hideous beasts, such that they can all but kill you with nothing but a glance. Think medusas... but far worse. The medusas at least turned you to stone so you wouldn't have to live forever in unbearable mental agony at what you'd witnessed. The medusas were a kind folk, not as heartless as the manamaids... and nor were they as strong.

A suggestion to Splint - perhaps you could spoiler the starting seven in the original post? It's far enough along now that we don't really need it anymore.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 12:03:32 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 07, 2012, 12:28:50 pm »

EDIT: Seconding Talvi's nomination. Because I care.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 01:37:09 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: March 07, 2012, 12:35:50 pm »

Awww, spoilers. Well, might as well post the full picture now, right?    (also, I've been working on them on and off in my spare time... they're a bit worse than you think, now...)

ACTUAL SPOILER:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: I thought they were manatees with the upper body of a woman? (although terribly, terribly obese to the point of manatee-similar weight)

EDIT EDIT: Although deeply apologetic to the world for what we have done... I wouldn't be opposed to another TinyChat meetup to see what else we could come up with... ;D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 12:45:01 pm by Talvieno »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 07, 2012, 01:29:22 pm »

Reports on the manamaids' appearance are conflicting; of those that have had the misfortune to observe one directly, very few are now in any condition to adequately describe exactly what it was they saw that literally caused their eyes to bleed.

Also, this is incredibly off-topic in the worst possible way :p

Draignean, if you're reading this (and haven't already fled in disgust/horror), how are you doing on the fortress?

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 07, 2012, 02:25:48 pm »

Reports on the manamaids' appearance are conflicting; of those that have had the misfortune to observe one directly, very few are now in any condition to adequately describe exactly what it was they saw that literally caused their eyes to bleed.

Also, this is incredibly off-topic in the worst possible way :p

Draignean, if you're reading this (and haven't already fled in disgust/horror), how are you doing on the fortress?
Excellent explanation. Though it's true, the blood... even from the eyes of vampires, their essence drips away at the first sight of such horrors.

How is this off topic? These beasts are finally what drove away the spawn in the end. Or, perhaps they joined the spawn. Or, perhaps they simply invaded. Or... :D

But no, how's it going, Draignean?

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 07, 2012, 03:59:15 pm »

Pff, that isn't that horrific to imagine. But maybe because the internet has caused me to 'not care about anything anymore'.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: March 07, 2012, 05:36:01 pm »

Pff, that isn't that horrific to imagine. But maybe because the internet has caused me to 'not care about anything anymore'.
All righty then, Mitchewawa... :D

First, (seriously, viewer discretion is advised - not kidding here)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Second, imagine fighting these things... Imagine being all happy and carefree, rushing out with your soldiers and then discovering they fall unconscious at the mere sight of these beasts, and then discovering that the manamaids like to lay atop of your slowly-awakening dwarves (in a somewhat suggestive manner), crushing them to death.
Imagine trying to survive a siege - or worse, an ambush.

Still not horrific? :)

Now also imagine that Splint's leaning towards putting these into whatever succession game comes after Spearbreakers... because he is. They almost got put into this one.  :-\
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 08:46:04 pm by Talvieno »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: March 07, 2012, 05:49:15 pm »

The ultimate challenge.
The Ultimate showdown.
Railgun and blade vs blubbery monstrosity. And that picture was absolutly hideous, but lakick the chainmail bikini they wear.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 07, 2012, 06:31:40 pm »

I have an idea. STICK TO THE THREAD AND QUIT DERAILING.

that is all.
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

codyorr

• Bay Watcher
  • Alcohol is how I make DF more !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: March 07, 2012, 06:46:15 pm »

I second that motion.
A rotting horse corpse since 201. !!DRUNK FORTRESS!!

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 07, 2012, 07:20:03 pm »

@The Master, codyorr:
For what it's worth, I'm very very sorry ;_;

@Talvieno:
I'm a little dodgy about having that image posted here... there's off-topic, and then there's AUUUGGGH MY EYES.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: March 07, 2012, 08:45:16 pm »

Sorry about that. I'll stay strictly on-topic henceforth.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 815