Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178447 times)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs.
« Reply #375 on: March 09, 2012, 12:33:12 am »

Well, we're now into late spring. (Yes I've been moving that slowly.)

New events.
1. Population is up to 60 (GO GO Desperate Gambit!)
2. Bridge fiasco causes creation of alternate entrance.
3. Adamantine is now being smelted (What should we make first? Adamantine mugs, anyone?)
4. Magmaforges expanded
5. Stockpiles expanded
6. Farming expanded
7. Military bulked up somewhat

3. Axes. Candy axes will make decapitating the Spawn much much easier. Pikes might be good for striking at their weak point, but I'm not sure if being made of adamantine would help much with that.

7. 25-30 fully-equipped soldiers should be enough for early on, though it's probably best to get as early a start as possible on training a large-scale military. Just keep drafting and training and forging. Also: the Spawn can be hit with ballista arrows, so that may be worth looking into while we're still making entrances.

BTW, for those keeping score, we are now on our third entrance. With the current ratio of elapsed turns to entrances dug, I project that our fortress will have 9 different entrances by the time Splint's second turn rolls around.

...Does this mean that my brilliant F.R.O.G. is now useless? ._.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: March 09, 2012, 03:37:45 am »

Keep the pikes steel. If the amount of teeth that go flying are any indication, our dwarves love bitch-whipping spawn with the pike-shaft.

Adamantine geared shock troops would certianly be nice.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 09, 2012, 03:52:21 am »

3. Adamantine is now being smelted (What should we make first? Adamantine mugs, anyone?)
Armour! That's what the candy fluff was made for.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 09, 2012, 03:59:05 am »

.... ok, ONE set of mugs. But those shall be forbidden and stuffed intoa coin and fancy object vault.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 09, 2012, 04:02:46 am »

I personally would usually rather have axes than armour, since they require less material and every layer of candy I don't have to mine is a good layer.

But then my military usually isn't routinely facing nigh-on-unkillable hellspawn from whom a single direct bite can eventually cause disaster. So, y'know, grain of salt and all that.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 09, 2012, 12:30:34 pm »

Alright, should be done with spring today, enough seems to be happening on a seasonal basis for me to do writeups at the turn of each season.

Succession forts are all schizo, but this... this is Spearbreakers.

By the by, what does that pitchblende lever do?
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

HARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: March 09, 2012, 12:44:33 pm »

me want adamantine spear pleax

to kill ALL SPAWNS ARR!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 09, 2012, 12:50:36 pm »

me want adamantine spear pleax

to kill ALL SPAWNS ARR!

Uh...

Would you settle for a silver scourge through the occipital lobe? 'Cause you already got one of those.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: March 09, 2012, 01:00:25 pm »

Ack, I missed a whole day of activity. X| Sorry about that, a friend needed someone to be there for them, that was me.
3. Managed not to kill us all.
3. PIX OR DIDN'T HAPPEN
for once, i actually deem that phrase as necessary.
This. This sums up Spearbreakers perfectly.

YES! One set of adamantine mugs! Perfection at its finest.
Oh Adamantine Mug, alight
With glint of dragonfire I see
Your boundless beauty, and I'd fight
Until I die for thee
                       - a dwarf of Spearbreakers

This will encourage the troops to new levels! Give them something to die for. And Splint, you're going to need to remake the coat of arms - it's in need of a mug or two.

Splint, I agree, the pikes need to remain steel/iron for sure. Axes might be good as adamantine, and I would agree with Frog on the armor being steel - breastplate, triple mail shirt, helm and two caps, gauntlets, boots, greaves. Wait, when did we find flux stone? Did we ever?

Draignean -
Splint built the workshops, not me - okay, maybe I built a couple... >.> Yeah, I built at least half of them.
Kudos on the knocking down the spawn - I hope it didn't bite anybody... It's a little sad, I think, I'd hoped it would be our mascot and guard that entrance. Maybe keep a goblin raid occupied for a time.
Do we have flux stone yet?
I'm really looking forwards to figuring out what caused the creation of a third entrance... this just seems weird. We're going to end up with so many completely dysfunctional backdoors to the surface...

The pitchblende lever: Unless Mr Frog hooked it up to something, it does nothing. I don't even know if he found it during his turn. =P

Final note: careful with the adamantine... really careful. Spawn are deadly, but I think that fighting the clowns would be far, far worse... though, admittedly, mostly just because they come in larger numbers and can fly...

edit: :o Oh, wow, HARD is dead? By GOBLINS?! How did that happen? Lol
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 09, 2012, 02:31:40 pm »

Splint, I agree, the pikes need to remain steel/iron for sure. Axes might be good as adamantine, and I would agree with Frog on the armor being steel - breastplate, triple mail shirt, helm and two caps, gauntlets, boots, greaves. Wait, when did we find flux stone? Did we ever?

Since we only have a small portion of our military forces dedicated to the use of axes, I think it would be more prudent to manufacture either armor, or Adamantine thread cover-alls. Some weapons will be indeed produced, at least for the squad leaders.
---

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: March 09, 2012, 04:01:20 pm »

Pitchblende lever should link to the original entrance to the fortress. And I may well amend the coat of arms to include mugs.

Cause THIS. IS. SPEARBREAKERS. AND WE FUCKING RUN OFF MUGS.

Also on lfux, there doesn't appear to be any local as far as I know. We've been importing enough steel to make weapons and iron was in abundance as hematite, limonite AND magnetite, so before my turn ended I had ordered flux to be imported, as should the lot of you D:<

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: March 09, 2012, 06:21:19 pm »

Someone should note all the levers.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 09, 2012, 06:32:25 pm »

Someone should note all the levers.

But... that would mean that the overseer twenty years from now wouldn't have to trial and error his way through the endless sea of levers that will link to the 50+ entrances!

That's not the Spearbreaker way!

Incidentally, I'm carving my offices out of the quarantine room that I was once trapped in.
---

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: March 09, 2012, 06:35:44 pm »

And [Mr Frog], you're going to need to remake the coat of arms - it's in need of a mug or two.

Ask, and you shall receive:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

@Draignean:
Don't come crying to me when your legendary +5 dodger gets feverish and there's nowhere to stash him :p

EDIT:
3. Managed not to kill us all.
3. PIX OR DIDN'T HAPPEN
for once, i actually deem that phrase as necessary.
This. This sums up Spearbreakers perfectly.

Well then put it up :p
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 06:40:41 pm by Mr Frog »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 09, 2012, 06:57:54 pm »

And [Mr Frog], you're going to need to remake the coat of arms - it's in need of a mug or two.

Ask, and you shall receive:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Our motto is Holy Shit?
Yeah, I guess that fits.

@Draignean:
Don't come crying to me when your legendary +5 dodger gets feverish and there's nowhere to stash him :p

It's just the one room that I'm adapting, not the entire wing. We shouldn't have any trouble with space for a bit.
---
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 815