Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2195239 times)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs.
« Reply #465 on: March 16, 2012, 02:52:11 pm »

A year and any legendary dorf (preferably a weapon or armorsmith) named Dariush please. ;)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: March 16, 2012, 03:05:30 pm »

I feel honored to have been sigged for my observation.

Dariush, you may be in for a bit of a wait.

Crossbowmen will be good to have on hand for dealing with barbarians and goblins (As the barbarians will be disabled, if not incapacitated, by bolts) but against the spawn only lucky body shots will really be usefull, since those damned things bite more than they claw or jump.

MOAR PIKEDORFS. MOAR MUGS.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: March 16, 2012, 03:56:47 pm »

Since the military still seems to be a bit of a mess, I renew my suggestion that we build a ballista range of some sort. That or some sort of airlock so we can let Spawn in at a staggered rate. Maybe a drop trap, but the Spawn seem to lol at falls that should be 100% fatal, and I'm not sure if TRAPAVOID gives immunity to upright spikes (pretty sure it does).

Nope, upright spikes can and will hit [TRAPAVOID] creatures, such as demons. That is why I made 900 adamantine spikes in Deathgate, shame no one ever linked the friggin' things up :P. Oh, and ballistas suck. Not like the days of 40d, and Headshoots.

Best bet is to make some iron/adamatine repeating spike trap up top, with iron spikes down the bottom just in case. Flooding can also knock guys in but its harder.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: March 16, 2012, 05:12:35 pm »

[...] upright spikes can and will hit [TRAPAVOID] creatures [...]

[...] make some [...] adamatine [...] spikes [...]

Perhaps use the spikes to make a Dodge-Me trap with more spikes on the bottom?*

Pity about the ballistas. Even if they're metal-tipped?

*Greetings and salutations, honoured companion. I was informed that you enjoy spikes, so I thusly took the liberty of placing spike traps in your spike trap such that you may impale whilst you impale.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: March 16, 2012, 05:40:45 pm »

*Greetings and salutations, honoured companion. I was informed that you enjoy spikes, so I thusly took the liberty of placing spike traps in your spike trap such that you may impale whilst you impale.

The messed up part is that's probably what a dorf would really do.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: March 16, 2012, 06:19:11 pm »

Ballistas are OK, if you've got masterwork ballista parts, legendary operators, copper bolts (because they do blunt damage) and you aren't in a big rush.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: March 16, 2012, 06:38:00 pm »

Wow, I'm a bit late here. lol   I blame a masterwork power outage. ANYWAY... Awesome write-up for spring, Draignean! I lol'd through most of it (but yeah, get Bombzero to do the corpses from now on, more awesome that way (and semi-related - awesome choice for what to dwarf Solpyre as)). How much was that artifact worth, by the way? If it was too much, it's going to launch us forwards into spawn siege time...

And then the horror hits: This was just spring.

We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Adding this now. Epic quote, I'd have nominated it myself. lol   

[...] upright spikes can and will hit [TRAPAVOID] creatures [...]

[...] make some [...] adamatine [...] spikes [...]

Perhaps use the spikes to make a Dodge-Me trap with more spikes on the bottom?*

Pity about the ballistas. Even if they're metal-tipped?

Also, this. Everything here. We need spikes. Lots of 'em. Oh, and long bridges that we can raise to have spawn fall into.

Unrelated question: How the hell did we get an invisible necromancer? I never saw him either - he simply didn't exist, except for how he resurrected everything. Does Stonesense still work? I recall a bug where you could see phantom animals lined up at the edge of the map in Stonesense, but not DF... If this is the same thing (invisible creatures that exist in the game but not detectably), we ought to be able to see the necromancer...
A year and any legendary dorf (preferably a weapon or armorsmith) named Dariush please. ;)
Aye, laddie... What Splint said... Ye've got yerself a bit of waitin' to do.

And finally... Moar mugs.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 06:40:52 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: March 16, 2012, 06:56:32 pm »

I'll be honest, the only reason i haven't made an entry concerning having to kill those poor emu was that I... honestly couldn't interpret Draignean's dating system....

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: March 16, 2012, 10:04:22 pm »

It's quite simple, really - the system works thusly (love the word-a-day calendar. lol   +1 to you, Draignean):

Year.Month-Day

For example:

500.01-1 meaning the first day of the first month of the five-hundredth year.  Year 500, month 01, day 1.

Too bad Talvi didn't get mentioned, I would gladly make an entry concerning her.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: March 16, 2012, 10:12:33 pm »

Make one anyway. Nothing stopping you. I just wait until crap happens before I do anything.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: March 16, 2012, 10:19:01 pm »

Ballistas are OK, if you've got masterwork ballista parts, legendary operators, copper bolts (because they do blunt damage) and you aren't in a big rush.

(because they do blunt damage)

they do blunt damage

Mr Frog, Peasant has been stricken by melancholy!
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: March 16, 2012, 10:25:05 pm »

Ouch.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: March 16, 2012, 10:39:46 pm »

Too bad Talvi didn't get mentioned, I would gladly make an entry concerning her.

I renamed her job position when I did the organization overhaul, she's now a Cavy of All Trades. She has the most varied number of jobs of anyone in the fort, primarily because she has the largest actual skillset. (Not just a bunch of Dabblings either)

Other than that nothing really happened to her. Sorry. :(
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: March 16, 2012, 10:49:16 pm »

I renamed her job position when I did the organization overhaul, she's now a Cavy of All Trades. She has the most varied number of jobs of anyone in the fort, primarily because she has the largest actual skillset. (Not just a bunch of Dabblings either)

Other than that nothing really happened to her. Sorry. :(

She had an epic adventure with her cavy friends and the funny man living under her bed in which she travelled to a wonderful world which exists in her mind and which only herself and her bestest friends can enter. There, she learned about the magic of love, unwavering devotion, and silent midnight observation.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: March 17, 2012, 09:47:32 am »

The Master's Log:
Once my term as overseer begins, my first decree will be to unleash magnificent CARNAGE! upon the wonderful spawn! The Spawn are so great at creating CARNAGE! that my second decree will be construct a temple in honor of their CARNAGE! After this, I shall feed F.R.O.G. to the gods of CARNAGE! as an offering!

Note to self: Kill Splint, he is trying to prevent further CARNAGE! from happening.
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 815