Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178036 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs.
« Reply #525 on: March 20, 2012, 06:03:44 pm »

We're into autumn now, WE SURVIVED! (Granted we survived because Godzilla and Mothra arrived at the same time and decided to fight each other, not because of our military prowess)

Working on the write-up.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: March 20, 2012, 06:07:31 pm »

We're into autumn now, WE SURVIVED! (Granted we survived because Godzilla and Mothra arrived at the same time and decided to fight each other.

Am I the only one who thinks that is front page worthy? The maze of abandoned entrances, mountains of mugs,a dn appearently the undead and spawn hatign eachother seem to be fast tracking to the top of issues along with literal psychotic dwarves and extradimensional time traveling entities.

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 20, 2012, 06:16:36 pm »

We're into autumn now, WE SURVIVED! (Granted we survived because Godzilla and Mothra arrived at the same time and decided to fight each other.

Am I the only one who thinks that is front page worthy? The maze of abandoned entrances, mountains of mugs,a dn appearently the undead and spawn hatign eachother seem to be fast tracking to the top of issues along with literal psychotic dwarves and extradimensional time traveling entities.

seconded
What do you think? Yes? No?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 20, 2012, 06:22:51 pm »

At least repair the parentheses if you decide to use it...

By the by, Terrahex, is your sigtext and angry man with Victorian lace cuffs, or is it an image of a man making double rockhands?
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 20, 2012, 06:34:54 pm »

\m/ (>.<) \m/
can be interpreted however you want I suppose. though I prefer both. at the same time

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 20, 2012, 06:40:18 pm »

I'd love to be dwarfed and write some journal entries for this. I can't, unfortunately play DF anymore, but I love to write

That's what I like to hear! A part of what makes these things truly great is when the comminity starts getting involved! Anything in particular gender/job you'd like? Otherwise you'll probably end up a soldier.

And be careful Draig, I want Frog to sleep soundly at night. Having more screeching infectees won't help that.

Well actually I've decided to sit this one out. Apparently Holistic Spawn not only detest everything alive, they detest everything tainted by unlife as well. And MAN can those beasties shred zombies, it's downright heartwarming when you're not at the receiving end of it.
I lol'd. It doubt it's quite so heartwarming for the dwarves themselves, provided they know that they are still camped outside, and knowing how easily they won against an entire siege (presumably...).

I'd love to be dwarfed and write some journal entries for this. I can't, unfortunately play DF anymore, but I love to write

That's what I like to hear! A part of what makes these things truly great is when the comminity starts getting involved! Anything in particular gender/job you'd like? Otherwise you'll probably end up a soldier.

And be careful Draig, I want Frog to sleep soundly at night. Having more screeching infectees won't help that.

Well actually I've decided to sit this one out. Apparently Holistic Spawn not only detest everything alive, they detest everything tainted by unlife as well. And MAN can those beasties shred zombies, it's downright heartwarming when you're not at the receiving end of it.

Could have them dorfs watching the mess through fortifications or cracks in the walls....

Is it odd I imagined a lord of the rings style battle between the undead and the spawn?

I imagined the exact same thing. :P

RANDOM: I imagine a lot of the dwarves would be more afraid of The Master than of the Spawn. :P ...I know Talvi would be. But she's a bit... insane... so... But just a bit. It doesn't even pick up on Mr Frog's scanners, or he wouldn't have kept her busy working while he was overseer.

ALSO RANDOM: Terrahex, that story was gold. lol   Absolutely love it. Also, welcome to this: whatever's worse than hell.

RELATED: Did you get the hole you dug plugged back up in time, Draignean? Or did you have to lock the doors and hope they won't come around?

I'm looking forwards to summer's report... This is incredible. Your year seems to be particularly exciting... I'd think it odd, but then again, everyone's year has been like that...

As to the strength of spawn vs dwarves (just from my tests): If a dwarf is wearing steel armor, even one on one against a spawn they're vulnerable after a bit. If the dwarf is in absolutely full adamantine armor, he can withstand about 5-9 spawn attacking him at once, provided that they're all killed before he inevitably loses consciousness from exhaustion. If the spawn siege, we either wait it out or do something incredibly dwarfy, or we're doomed.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 20, 2012, 06:46:33 pm »

I propose contolled cave ins where possible, and a stone hammer for every civvie should the need arise.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: March 20, 2012, 07:03:22 pm »

I propose contolled cave ins where possible, and a stone hammer for every civvie should the need arise.

Agreed... Definitely agreed. Especially about the cave-ins. Perhaps cave in a floor above most of the entire map? (would be dangerous considering that we have the fort right below the surface...) Also, since they aren't building destroyers and won't destroy bridges, it would be possible to dig a long series of pits and put retractable bridges over them. Retracting the bridges drops the spawn into the pits, and if you retract the bridges again when goblin sieges come through... More fun. ALTHOUGH... that would have to be a fake entrance separate from the main one, because the dwarves would never use it.

seconded

Done.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 07:05:10 pm by Talvieno »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 20, 2012, 07:07:08 pm »

Mt idea is, while on lockdown, have areas close to the various entryways set up to fall in on themselves. Supports will lure trolls right?

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: March 20, 2012, 07:14:04 pm »

Will type up the next segment of diary for Terrahex as soon as Draignean posts the next update. I left details about the journal unspecific so anyone can take up the "I lost my journal" story.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 20, 2012, 07:25:51 pm »

Mt idea is, while on lockdown, have areas close to the various entryways set up to fall in on themselves. Supports will lure trolls right?
I don't think so, no, but pressure plates trigger them, if I understand right. If you only want to kill trolls, it wouldn't be too hard to set up something like this with a lot of flooring above it:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Somebody steps on the pressure plate, it all comes crashing down. Granted, it wouldn't do much good, as the goblins themselves wouldn't approach it. HOWEVER... If you did this:

THEN we'd have something useful. Unfortunately, that's quite a lot of pressure plates... And a pretty good deal of mechanisms and linking. But...

That would keep there from being too many pressure plates, though it wouldn't destroy much, unless the support had a wall built on top of it with floors surrounding it in a large box pattern surrounding a huge area,
and the ground was hollowed out beneath it. You have a one-shot trap that would cave in an absolutely huge amount of land. Very, very useful for mass sieges... though if it was spawn, it wouldn't actually kill (unless it was a very, very far drop). But then you have a huge area underground that would be completely worthless before and after, and would require a lot of digging. But it could potentially save the fort... if executed properly. If you made the bait only accessible by a raising bridge, which you could lower at will, you could choose which siege you wanted to destroy. But I'm not going to draw that out here.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 07:30:07 pm by Talvieno »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 20, 2012, 07:31:54 pm »

So to make cae-in landmines would be rediculously time consuming and complex, possibly requiring multiple overseers' turns, for a one shot type of trap.

I fail to see the issue here.

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: March 20, 2012, 08:28:21 pm »

Alternately, you could instead build a trap that would capture the siege instead. Take the collapsing trap from before and instead make the pillar hold up a ring of wall that would fall and catch the enemy.
I'm no expert so...

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 20, 2012, 08:31:08 pm »

I KNOW THE SOLUCARNAGE!TION TO THE PROCARNAGE!BLEM! CARNAGE!
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: March 20, 2012, 09:54:48 pm »

Alternately, you could instead build a trap that would capture the siege instead. Take the collapsing trap from before and instead make the pillar hold up a ring of wall that would fall and catch the enemy.
I'm no expert so...
Unfortunately, constructions collapse on cave-in... It would work, but only if they got caught underground, which would require a TON of digging and hauling, and an entrance to a dwarf-made cavern built below Spearbreaker's thick dirt/clay layers. It's a pretty dwarfy idea, though... And would keep the siege from getting harmed by the fall, as there wouldn't be any. But what to do with them afterwards... hmm... :D
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 815