Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178427 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs.
« Reply #555 on: March 22, 2012, 07:58:55 am »

Hoo boy I can't wait to see the horrid reaction journal if that measn what I think it means.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: March 22, 2012, 09:50:56 am »

Dwarf Date 203.04-7 We’ve almost completed the renovations to the magma forges! By digging out a large cavern directly beneath the main forges and cracking one of the walls, we should be able to fill the entire lower section with magma!

The foolish miners have expressed some dubiousness over who is going to be the one who takes away the final piece of stone that holds back the ocean of liquid hot magma, but honestly diary, how dangerous could it be?

Dwarf Date 203.04-10 Work complete on the underforge magmaworks, everything went resplendently (I swear I’m missing a few of the elvish calendars I bought…), and none of the foolish worry wort miners were injured.

Granted they had to dig a stairway out while the magma was rushing in, but that was due to poor planning on their part.

Dwarf Date 203.04-14 One pair of adamantine boots has been completed in secret. They are the princes of footwear these boots, water resistant, oil resistant, salt-mist resistant, heat resistant,  fang resistant, and apparently foot resistant- I’ve tried to bring myself to wear them half a dozen times, but to no avail.

The entire situation just makes me want to take my frustration out on one of the fools running this place, but I can’t FIND any of them. Must be hiding…

Dwarf Date 203.04-17 Another successful mandate dear diary, the ban on the sale of catapult parts has yielded a 1000% percent decrease in the number of catapult parts sold over the last three years, or so Mr Frog tells me.

Good fellow that one, a bit much for the touchy-feely-punchy gestures of loyalty and devotion, but a good fellow.

Dwarf Date 203.04-20 HARD’s spirit has apparently risen from the grave, standing eternal sentinel over our entrance and refusing to be moved by any means. Some of our former overseers seem to think that this is an ill omen, but I really don’t think the dead rising from their graves is anything portentous. (When I find the person who’s ripping pages out of my calendars I’m going to… defenestrate them!) 

All he does is stand around and moan about how “Wynz is coming” and how doom awaited the blood of his blood if they followed his path.  Personally I think a spirit that constantly tells us that we’re going to have wins in the future is an excellent feature to add to my mighty fortress, after all, what are the chances of HARD’s direct bloodkin immigrating here?

Dwarf Date203.05-1 The extra forges that I commanded into existence in the magmworks are running full steam to produce worked gold for my personal chambers and to work the adamantine.

Spint seems to be spending a great deal of his time muttering about the adamantine, clearly he’s concerned that we don’t have enough. I’ll have to look into this.

Dwarf Date 203.05-5 Ah, fresh faces to carve onto the waiting tombstones! Migrants have arrived, seven of them to be precise, and a dwarf named Wynz came with them. He seemed quite stricken to see the spirit of HARD floating about the entrance and moaning (by coincidence I’m sure) what sounded an awful lot like his name.

I wonder if I should tell him about the spirit’s warning about how doom would surely befall the “blood of his blood”?

Nah, too much effort.

Dwarf Date 203.05-15 To relieve the number of dwarves that have decided to use my set of personal rooms as a bunkhouse I’ve ordered a dwarf who will only refer to himself as “Loud Whispers” to do something about it.

Honestly I would have just told them there was free candy in the magmaworks, but he seems to have decided to draft up plans for an entirely new set of personal rooms. I have, like the godlike individual that I am, compassionately approved these plans, as long as they don’t interfere with the dwarves hauling that solid gold chair and table set up to my rooms.

Dwarf Date 203.05-17 Splint’s incoherent worrying noises over the adamantine have finally won me over, and so for the good of all dwarves I have ordered the spire dug out another thirty feet down.

Splint nearly fainted with excitement when I told him.

Dwarf Date 203.05-25 We’ve mined out every chunk of adamantine that Splint has begged me to mine, bringing us up to roughly 200 chunks of adamantine! Splint’s gratitude rendered him insensate. (I KNEW IT! There are Cavy prints on this page! A cavy has been stealing my calendars!)

I like the dwarf, I really do, but he’s just too sensitive. The man was so grateful when I told him that he was going to be working adamantine himself to deal with the surplus that he actually started to visibly shake, and when I told him that there was another adamantine spire that we could mine out he actually started crying a little.

Dwarf Date 203.05-27 I awoke from a fell dream this morning, in it I dreamt that I was being eaten by ten-thousand thousand tiny chocolate lobsters, and as they devoured they whispered the name Zospu Genedaksum-  their great and terrible eyeless lobster master, whose entire exoskeleton is made of waxy chocolate.

Remind to never sample Mr Frog’s ‘special brew’ ever again.

Dwarf Date 203.06-9 My personal rooms have been completed! I have two solid gold statues, two solid gold thrones, one solid gold weapon rack, one solid gold cabinet, one solid gold chest, one nether cap chest (for keeping my drinks cold), and common wood bed to show how in touch I am with the everyday dwarf.

To show how generous I am, I have mandated that each dwarf also receive I chest and a cabinet of his own, to be shipped to his room with all haste. I admit this is not entirely altruistic, for I plan to use it in a clever sting operation to catch the devil-cavy who steals my calendars at night!

Dwarf Date 203.06-12 The Master, who I never thought would leave his wooden “poley woley” has upgraded, discarding the wooden pole for one of bismuth bronze. He has since become just as attached to this one and as such has retreated to his room, taking the spear and a few jugs of rock-nut oil (for polishing purposes he says) with him.

He hasn’t left for two days.

Dwarf Date 203.06-16 A human caravan has signaled its approach! Ah, the mighty caravans of the humans, so amusing to watch as they attempt to navigate the hills and trees with their clumsy wagons. More so when they accidentally run over a couple things that look rather unsettlingly like the spawn of legend.

The spawn-like critters have started swarming everywhere outside, and almost everyone is in a panic over it. I don’t see why, all of them were banished a million-billion years ago, it’s not like any of us have seen any of them.

Regardless, our own Mr Frog has assaulted the lever that closes the bridge to the outside, screaming for everyone to get into the emergency burrows. Talvieno (Who, most conspicuously, owns a cavy) has agreed to take everyone into her personal rooms.*

I, however, have ordered our military to assemble behind the gate. We shall mount an attack as soon as we’re able, we must protect the people living inside of a giant cavy at all cost.

Dwarf Date 203.06-18 My beardsense has informed me that a great force of naughtiness has entered our domain, that and the overpowering reek of rotting flesh combined with funereal moans anyway.

Apparently a number of necromancers have earmarked this area for whatever necromancers do with random spits of land that they happen to tromp over. Mr Frog, after consulting an unusually flat piece of glowy stone, tells me that as of this moment there are forty-two zombies, two necromancers (one of which is a barbarian from the mountains), and a host of twelve spawn like creatures.

In light of his rock calculations I’ve dissolved the force that has been massing behind our gates, we shall wait for the correct tactical moment to begin our advance. Specifically a moment when there are far fewer things wanting to kill us, we aren’t outnumbered five-to-one, and when I'm busy doing something else important and can't participate in the raid.

Dwarf Date 203.06-20 The spawn-like creatures and the necromancers are fighting each other. I wouldn’t have believed it except for the fact that I watched it myself from the clever little observation tower.   The spawn like things advance, jump on the zombies, and then proceed to claw and bite them into tiny, tiny pieces.

Obviously these spawn-like creatures are a powerful force of good, I voted to open the gates to let these more friendly spawn in, –the matter with the humans was obviously a misunderstanding- but I only received one other vote before I was overruled.

Bigoted pansies.

Dwarf Date 203.07-3 The last of the undead has been vanquished, its final terrified moans cutting out rather abruptly as a spawn clawed its head off. The necromancers have long since been chased off of our territory, fleeing these paragik (I had to invent the last half of that word as the other was CHEWED OUT OF MY CALENDAR. The Cavy Must Pay.) like spawn-things.

The spawn-things are still outside though, and I still can’t muster enough support to get the bridge to the surface open. At the very least I’ve ordered everyone to get out of Talvi’s room, the constant forty dwarf party is making me jealous.

*Seriously. The entire Alert2 burrow was Talvi’s room. What.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 02:00:10 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: March 22, 2012, 10:40:35 am »

While I believe it's still unhealthy, at least he's gotten attached to a good and proper metal weapon instead of a peice of kindling. I'll do a journal on this when I finish hauling wood into the garage.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: March 22, 2012, 01:08:48 pm »

Yayy! Updates! And I'm mentioned by name no fewer than -- WAIT.

Quote from: Draignean
Mr. Frog

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

----

Spoiler: Journal of Mr Frog (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 01:11:39 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: March 22, 2012, 01:49:48 pm »

Hey, I got it right three out of four times. That's pretty good for catching a period that I now automatically add to Mr. :(
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: March 22, 2012, 02:30:15 pm »

Zap Brannagin Dragnean, you will be the near-death of us all. I just know it.

5th Malachite, 204. Interm entry.

I'm gfoing to die of heart failure I just know it. That arrogant... MOTHERFUCKER, There really is no suitable substitute, could have killed us all by mining out the Adamantium spire! Was he never told the old tales of Everoc as a child!? That stone breeds madness, it may well have been a catalyst in the birth of THEM! And worse yet, he's assigned ME of all people to extract the strands! While this is indeed an honor, I am still fearful for my very soul.

I fear the presence of this stone is what is fueling The Master's own psychosis. i fear it's calling him to dig deeper... I have left a note to the next overseer, the fortress' longtime miner Sus to cordon off the spires. I care not what we do with the thankfully safe extracted ore, and I even find myself wanting a fine cloak made from the stuff, in spite of my near pathologic fear of it (When I was assigned strand extraction duty I was on the brink of strangling Draignean to death, but thankfully reason trumped my fear.) But Further extraction is too risky; Anything could lie within a spire... Even the she-beast herself.

I find it difficult to juggle my bookkeeping duties with extraction, so I may need to hand my office over to someone else if we need the metal badly enough. I am also finind I may no longer be able to trust Draignean or The Master, as madness has positivly gripped them. This place has.... changed them. Between Draignean becoming uncharacteristically oblivious to all around him seeking beat him to a pulp and blundering his way into a victory over a small goblin raid, and The Master adopting weapons as if they're pets, they've claerly gone off the deep end. Talvieno has become a near child-like wreck of a dwarf, and I'm positive she either suffers from a different sort of insanity or has become enamored with that Mr Frog fellow. Speaking of Mr Frog, I've run some plans by him on a new woodcutting implement, using mechanisms and thier perpetual motion properties to move split serrated disks to saw down trees quicker than a normal axe ever could. He took the plans and said something about making some improvments to it, and I have not seen him outside of mealtimes or the odd passing in the halls since.

I pray to the gods we can gather the strength to fight the coming tide of darkness...

-following is barely intelligible chickenscratch writing, appearing to read "All will fall before the horde"-

Oh, before I forget, is everyone redorf'd?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 22, 2012, 02:49:58 pm »

Zap Brannagin Dragnean, you will be the near-death of us all. I just know it.

I actually like to think that I've been fairly successful in my term. I've guided us through numerous military conflicts, expanded our population base, expanded our industry, saved us from starvation (we now have over 150 edible plant tucked away, compared to 0 in mid spring), removed the job canceling spawn, mined enough adamantine for a refit of the military, expanded the living quarters, increased the average Dwarven living conditions, set to rest most of the moaning spirits, and have generally managed that without making anyone terribly unhappy.

Never underestimate a resourceful idiot.
---

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: March 22, 2012, 02:53:29 pm »

When I said near death I meant if you keep mining those damn spires.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 22, 2012, 02:59:58 pm »

When I said near death I meant if you keep mining those damn spires.

Not with that attitude we won't!

Same dig-speed ahead!
---

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: March 22, 2012, 03:07:18 pm »

I think I may have just accidently killed us all.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: March 22, 2012, 03:19:39 pm »

I think I may have just accidently killed us all.

Well, at least we won't have to mourn each other.
---

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: March 22, 2012, 04:13:14 pm »

So, what are my dwarfs' skills?
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: March 22, 2012, 04:20:27 pm »

Excellent update. I will definitely write an entry for the Spawn in mid-whatever. also, if you don't mind, can we have the list of dorves and their professions? (maybe through therapist) it would really help with getting in new interactions with dorfed people.

anyway, here's the next section of my diary:

What do you think? Yes? No?

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: March 22, 2012, 04:42:20 pm »

WMG: Terrahex is a poltergeist.

He died fighting the Spawn somewhere in this region, many centuries ago. He just doesn't realize that he's dead and nobody can see him. The dwarves don't notice his antics because they're drunk off their asses 24/7.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: March 22, 2012, 04:45:34 pm »

ANd it would friteningly explain why the spawn spoke to him.

And if I recal Fischer was the one who clocked Draignean for the little SUPRISE! incident first.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 815